Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Default Trees, Ornaments, and Cats!

I have a bunch of older glass ornaments - but I dare not put them near Pippin's reach.

You cannot find glass ornaments much any more and letting them wiggle near a cat is a signal for loss.

I put plastic ones down near his reach, the little creep.

Icicles and garland are another sure cat bait!
    Last edited by Elessar; 12-09-2018 at 08:05 PM.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

2. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I have never put up a Christmas tree before in my house, because I've always had a cat. My big old orange Tom cat, Buttons, he'd have torn the WHOLE TREE DOWN...

Don't know what the little campfire cat would do though. She's pretty well behaved. She never gets in trouble. I have a fake tree upstairs in the shop. I could put it up and see what she does...
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 12-09-2018 at 08:40 PM.

4. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    I have never put up a Christmas before in my house, because I've always had a cat. My big old orange Tom cat, Buttons, he'd have torn the WHOLE TREE DOWN...

Don't know what the little campfire cat would do though. She's pretty well behaved. She never gets in trouble. I have a fake tree upstairs in the shop. I could put it up and see what she does...
    They are funny. I put a new string of LED lights on the tree...a real one I left outside in the rain after
    I bought it, cut an inch off the trunk, and soaked it in water with aspirin. Brought it in the house to
    spread, more aspirin and water in the stand.

Pippin chewed through the cord the first night, little creep!

22 gauge wire is a chore to splice, but I did it and encased it in a shroud. I used shrink tubing.
    Last edited by Elessar; 12-09-2018 at 08:37 PM.

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

6. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    They are funny. I put a new string of LED lights on the tree...a real one I left outside in the rain after
    I bought it, cut an inch off the trunk, and soaked it in water with aspirin. Brought it in the house to
    spread, more aspirin and water in the stand.

Pippin chewed through the cord the first night, little creep!

22 gauge wire is a chore to splice, but I did it and encased it in a shroud. I used shrink tubing.
    I had Christmas lights all over the house and around last year. Didn't bother this year. I have to figure out a way to put them up that's not such a chore. I have all LED, blinking in adjustable patterns, 4 stings of those and then one just multi colored non blinking. Pretty lights but, I want to do something different with them next year. Make something to string them on or something... IDK... I'll think up something.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I had Christmas lights all over the house and around last year. Didn't bother this year. I have to figure out a way to put them up that's not such a chore. I have all LED, blinking in adjustable patterns, 4 stings of those and then one just multi colored non blinking. Pretty lights but, I want to do something different with them next year. Make something to string them on or something... IDK... I'll think up something.
    I have limited window space in this place and hesitate to put stuff outdoors with the winds and all, that can exceed 60 mph during winter storms.

A Deplorable!

9. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I have limited window space in this place and hesitate to put stuff outdoors with the winds and all, that can exceed 60 mph during winter storms.
    Yeah I paid big bucks for the 4 strings of blinking LED lights. Each LED has like 6 different colors too, but yeah, wind can do a number on them. I had mine pretty secure on the house, but it takes the big extension ladder to get up to the peek and stuff so, it's a pain, and then take them down after there's snow and cold, I'd rather not. I have a whole bunch of 1/2" rebar I picked up at an auction. I'm thinking weld that all up into some kind of design and string them all on that, plus maybe in one of the trees... IDK... still thinking on it. I'll have something cooked up before next year.

Never lit off any fireworks last year for New Years either. Going to have to correct that...
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 12-09-2018 at 11:09 PM.

11. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Never lit off any fireworks last year for New Years either. Going to have to correct that...
    Thinking about that too, if it is not raining!

A Deplorable!

13. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Thinking about that too, if it is not raining!
    I have a shit load of them too, big ones, 2 inchers, mortars, good stuff. You could actually use them as a weapon...

I have other small stuff too. Thousands of firecrackers, some Roman Candles and whatnot. This year is probably the first year I didn't buy any, because I have so many left. I'll fix that...

15. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

The cats around me havent caused any xmas tree issues - maybe its luck? Just put up a tree last night - the one cat in the house hasn't shown much interest...yet. have a bit more to do - a lot, really, like re-setting the living room and junk and stuff.

One aspect that's fun - My daughter is doing 98% of the decorating. I get to sit back and sip wine and watch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

17. Likes SassyLady liked this post