Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Stop paying congress members

How many think this shutdown would be long over had their pay been cut just like every other government employee?

But getting paid, they couldn't care less how long they get to sit back and get paid, instead of working together and finding a medium somehow.

They have already stated it's not the money..... so approve the $5 billion and come to an agreement on a "fence" - but it's got to be 100% enhanced and cannot be climbed. a mixture of fence, barbed wire, depth and height, sensors, cameras and border agents. Perhaps even the drones they approved in the past as well. Everyone is happy and employees start getting paid again. I can live with that.

But I believe, IMO, that the Dems would still push for less. Anything that doesn't allow for illegals to easily sneak in - in their minds costs them votes.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

How quickly would it be over if everyone who was not being paid to work actually didn’t go to work?
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    How quickly would it be over if everyone who was not being paid to work actually didn’t go to work?
    I'm confident certain sectors would instantly find some funding, like the TSA for example.

But if they were to refuse work, trust me, they would find others quickly willing to work and wait on a paycheck, knowing this is the longest shutdown ever and likely to end sooner than later. And some are offering incentives to those coming in to work now, to make it worth their while.

As an example, kinda like the teachers strike out in LA right now. They WILL find what they refer to as the "scabs" with every shutdown, as folks are even willing to have shit tossed at their cars and be called all kinds of inexcusable names - because then they ultimately get some $ and perhaps even ultimately a job.

But the TSA all not coming in would be quite harmful and likely lead to airline shutdowns - and likely a quick changeover to professional but private security - costing someone a fortune! No easy answers to certain government funded areas not currently receiving said funding. And it might very well come down to one of those being what causes this shutdown to come to a halt.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I'm confident certain sectors would instantly find some funding, like the TSA for example.

But if they were to refuse work, trust me, they would find others quickly willing to work and wait on a paycheck, knowing this is the longest shutdown ever and likely to end sooner than later. And some are offering incentives to those coming in to work now, to make it worth their while.

As an example, kinda like the teachers strike out in LA right now. They WILL find what they refer to as the "scabs" with every shutdown, as folks are even willing to have shit tossed at their cars and be called all kinds of inexcusable names - because then they ultimately get some $ and perhaps even ultimately a job.

But the TSA all not coming in would be quite harmful and likely lead to airline shutdowns - and likely a quick changeover to professional but private security - costing someone a fortune! No easy answers to certain government funded areas not currently receiving said funding. And it might very well come down to one of those being what causes this shutdown to come to a halt.
    So the workers can end the shutdown - or they can wait for their government to do so - already a month in, it’ll be interesting to see how much longer people are willing to be held out to dry for their government.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Some people working unpaid, such as the Coast Guard, Border Patrol, and TSA - sign oaths and contracts
    and to refuse to work could cause them to face various charges (in the case of the Coast Guard) or termination.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

7. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

So the workers can end the shutdown - or they can wait for their government to do so - already a month in, it’ll be interesting to see how much longer people are willing to be held out to dry for their government.
    No, I didn't say they would end the shutdown. But it COULD. I don't know how things for sure would be affected if ALL of the TSA members were to bail instantly. I'm sure there would be some serious delays. They could get replacements almost instantly, that much is guaranteed, but they would still need to be trained. And yeah, putting air travel to a stand still could have some serious consequences. I honestly don't know what would happen.

Perhaps they would still run on the bare minimum that they do have, resulting in the delays and cancellations, while they bring new employees up to speed. Yups, it would be a nightmare, and hopefully one to be avoided!

And then yeps, you have like Elessar pointed out, many simply dedicated and knowing they are getting their money eventually, and hopefully.

I do agree it sucks to be hung out as such, and doesn't make it much better "knowing" going in that this is a possibility. Folks need the money to live on. I truly feel for them, hence me stating that they should COMPROMISE and quickly. Congress, Schumer and others have already stated that it's not about the money. They have already been on record stating that they don't have an issue with "fencing" and increasing all the details I mentioned: more agents, more cameras, more technology, drones, sensors... everything minus a wall, whether that be solid steel or slated. But they should compromise NOW on the very things that everyone as agreed upon. And if they go backwards on what they are already on record as supporting? Then we, unfortunately, will know it's more about politics and less about actual security for our country. I know I would be willing to compromise to make everyone happy & to get folks back to working.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Some people working unpaid, such as the Coast Guard, Border Patrol, and TSA - sign oaths and contracts
    and to refuse to work could cause them to face various charges (in the case of the Coast Guard) or termination.
    Yeah. I don't recall "choice" ever being an option
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Yeah. I don't recall "choice" ever being an option
    I worked through a few 'shut-downs' or looming ones during the Obama administration.
    The position I had was deemed critical, so being furloughed was not going to happen.

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

11. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default For Noir.

Unfortunately for you, and your question. Rather than instantly going on strike, or staying home as many European nations....Like France, have seen.

We have Honorable, Caring, Patriotic people working for our government who PLACE their NATION, and our PEOPLE ahead of their OWN selfishness.

Do you remember when Ronald Reagan FIRED all of the AIR TRAFFIC Control People? Maybe you weren't even born then? Unionized workers are not immune to Dishonorable Service. But those Americans who took and oath, to defend our Nation....have no intention of Selling Their Nation Down Any River.

Besides...All of the Furloughed government workers know.....THEY WILL GET PAID. The press and Nancy Pelosi are just using Typical Liberal, Democrat Scare tactics because they HATE TRUMP, more than they care for Americans.
    https://www.politico.com/story/2008/...-5-1981-012292
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

13. Thanks Bilgerat, Elessar thanked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Do those contracts say that they will be paid for their work?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default What is it you do not understand Noir?

Those Government workers WILL GET PAID. Their contracts are Holding Up Their Hand, and SWEARING to follow, obey, support, and defend, the Constitution of the United States, and the Commander In Chief. (President). Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Matter of factly...Government Workers, Military, Police, Fire, and Other Services; have NO STRIKE, NO WALKOUT Clauses in those "CONTRACTS" you know nothing about.

How do I know. How bout 30 years as a Government Employee? Me.?

By the way. In the Military. If you walk out for any reason. YOU END UP LOCKED UP, Busted, and Out of a Job eventually.
    Last edited by aboutime; 01-18-2019 at 07:15 PM.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

16. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

They do indeed, and it is done regularly as shown under Obama's Gov't halts.

A Deplorable!

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Congress, Schumer and others have already stated that it's not about the money. They have already been on record stating that they don't have an issue with "fencing" and increasing all the details I mentioned: more agents, more cameras, more technology, drones, sensors... everything minus a wall, whether that be solid steel or slated.
    And is trump happy with that option?

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    Unfortunately for you, and your question. Rather than instantly going on strike, or staying home as many European nations....Like France, have seen.

We have Honorable, Caring, Patriotic people working for our government who PLACE their NATION, and our PEOPLE ahead of their OWN selfishness.
    Ah yes, because honor and patriotism pay the bills, as more and more people climb into debt and fall behind on due payments.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Ah yes, because honor and patriotism pay the bills, as more and more people climb into debt and fall behind on due payments.
    You obviously know NOTHING and just fling out these opinions because YOU have not experienced anything of note.

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

My bank, a Federal Credit Union, has offered 0% Interest loans to all USCG members and
    qualifying non-members to assist during this shut down.

A Deplorable!

21. Thanks Gunny, High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post