Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I know the poem says 35 below, sorry about that, what is should say is 36 below...

This is the coldest I've ever seen it in my life, that I recall. I'm sick of it. Another snap of this crap and I will be checking out homes back down in Florida. This is absolutely absurd. There's even frost INSIDE my windows...

Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 01-31-2019 at 06:58 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Cold stuff, this 'global warming' ....

Hope you're managing OK !!

Here in Wales .. I've heard there's a possibility of power cuts between 2pm and 9pm (i.e, in my timezone, I'm now within that period). Why ? Because of the cold weather and snow in parts of the UK ... with average temperatures hovering around, or a little ABOVE, freezing point.

Why, we're told that as much as TEN CENTIMETRES of snow may fall (in my part of Wales, I've seen none yet) !!

My God. How will we cope ??!?
    Last edited by Drummond; 01-31-2019 at 10:42 AM.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

5. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    Cold stuff, this 'global warming' ....

Hope you're managing OK !!

Here in Wales .. I've heard there's a possibility of power cuts between 2pm and 9pm (i.e, in my timezone, I'm now within that period). Why ? Because of the cold weather and snow in parts of the UK ... with average temperatures hovering around, or a little ABOVE, freezing point.

Why, we're told that as much as TEN CENTIMETRES of snow may fall (in my part of Wales, I've seen none yet) !!

My God. How will we cope ??!?
    It's supposed to be in the 40's here Sat, Sun, Mon. That's some 75 to 80 degrees warmer than what we had this morning. People around here will be in shorts and T-shirts...

Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 01-31-2019 at 10:56 AM.

7. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Love it and the humor of it too. I am a Southern boy born and bred--cold weather just aint in my nature.
    I once told a ravishingly beautiful lady that my answer to moving up North to live with her was- hell no.
    Not because of her and her unbelievable and sexy body she was so happy to share with me but because
    this ole boy does so dearly love warm weather, the sun and thinks to hell with that kind of cold!
    That was 1976 and she was moving back to her home town in upper Michigan.
    Did not matter that she was drop-dead gorgeous, not when that bone breaking cold would have had its
    icy cold grips on me if I had went with her.. -Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

9. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter, Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

The one good part to this bitter cold, we'll have a lot less BUGS around this year because when it gets down below -30 like it did, it even kills eggs that are hibernating waiting to hatch in the Spring. We didn't have squat for winter for the last 3 years, and consequently we had a lot of bugs, so I'm almost glad we had this blistering, dangerous cold spell. If it got rid of some of the overabundance of insects, including mosquitoes, then I'm ok with a few days of super cold. Now it's going the other way and it's going to be way above average temps again, in the 40's, massive swing.

11. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

This too shall pass...

Florida is a nice place to visit, but...
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

13. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    This too shall pass...

Florida is a nice place to visit, but...
    Yeah I think I should just do the snowbird thing...

15. Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

The one good part to this bitter cold, we'll have a lot less BUGS around this year because when it gets down below -30 like it did, it even kills eggs that are hibernating waiting to hatch in the Spring. We didn't have squat for winter for the last 3 years, and consequently we had a lot of bugs, so I'm almost glad we had this blistering, dangerous cold spell. If it got rid of some of the overabundance of insects, including mosquitoes, then I'm ok with a few days of super cold. Now it's going the other way and it's going to be way above average temps again, in the 40's, massive swing.
    We didn't get the power cuts it was suggested we might get, after all ...

I think mine was one of the last places in the UK to see some snow. Started falling around 11pm, my time .. lasted for around 6 hours. No great problem, in my locality, as it turned out, though there were reports of a road in the Devon / Cornwall area that had five miles of traffic on it that couldn't move, the hapless drivers being stuck for most if not all of the night with their vehicles.

Big disruptions to public transport continuing ... many schools closed ... because we're incapable, apparently, of coping with a ten centimetre snowfall ..... and by our standards, 'very cold' weather, hovering around (just above) freezing point.

The coldest parts of the UK would've seen temperatures plunge to around -16 centigrade (PLUS 3 degrees F). It was the UK's coldest night for seven years.

17. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

We didn't get the power cuts it was suggested we might get, after all ...

I think mine was one of the last places in the UK to see some snow. Started falling around 11pm, my time .. lasted for around 6 hours. No great problem, in my locality, as it turned out, though there were reports of a road in the Devon / Cornwall area that had five miles of traffic on it that couldn't move, the hapless drivers being stuck for most if not all of the night with their vehicles.

Big disruptions to public transport continuing ... many schools closed ... because we're incapable, apparently, of coping with a ten centimetre snowfall ..... and by our standards, 'very cold' weather, hovering around (just above) freezing point.

The coldest parts of the UK would've seen temperatures plunge to around -16 centigrade (PLUS 3 degrees F). It was the UK's coldest night for seven years.
    Well that's one thing about living up nort' here in Wisconsin, we are totally prepared for winter, we're used to it, even huge snow falls and bitter cold weather. We're a pretty hardy bunch. Keeps out the riff raff too. There's no way we're going to have tent cities and bums living on the streets up here, it's too cold for that. You're outside when it gets cold around here, you DIE. So bitter cold does have it's unintended benefits.

19. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Well that's one thing about living up nort' here in Wisconsin, we are totally prepared for winter, we're used to it, even huge snow falls and bitter cold weather. We're a pretty hardy bunch. Keeps out the riff raff too. There's no way we're going to have tent cities and bums living on the streets up here, it's too cold for that. You're outside when it gets cold around here, you DIE. So bitter cold does have it's unintended benefits.
    Obviously yours is always a colder climate in winter than my part of the world is.

As comparatively small as the British Isles is compared to continental America, we have 'extremes' of weather from one end of it to the other. Scotland is pretty much guaranteed snow in winter ... in other parts, it's less likely. Wales (where I am) tends to have a 50-50 chance of heavy snowfall sometime in winter. London (where I was originally from) more usually escapes it altogether .. though hasn't done, this time.

Any appreciable snowfall ... everything seizes up. Local councils grit the roads, though they always argue that further snowfall after the initial gritting makes their efforts useless. So, in conditions such as we've had over the past 24 hours or so, people here just accept that conditions will get bad, and 'wait them out'.

This, I know, is the opposite to Canada's attitude. However heavy the snowfall, they cope ! Trains keep running in far worse conditions than ours. It's become apparent for decades that our coping abilities are pathetic compared to theirs.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...W-hits-UK.html

Workers have been warned to leave early tonight as thousands are stuck in blizzard-hit motorways - while the threat of dangerous black ice forming on the roads looms and the severe weather shows no signs of ending.

At least 2,000 schools across the country serving 800,000-plus children were shut after 'doomsday' snow caused chaos with some areas getting up to ten inches overnight on the coldest night in the UK for seven years.

Rail commuters living in South East London and Kent were told to 'travel earlier or later to avoid the busiest trains' after Southeastern implemented its 'winter weather timetable', resulting in fewer services during rush hour.

Weather warnings have been issued running into tomorrow, with another 4in (10cm) of snow possible in northern Scotland and 1.6in (4cm) over the Yorkshire Moors. An ice warning is also in place for Scotland on Monday.

The M3 in Hampshire was badly hit today, with motorists forced to abandon their cars as they became stuck in the blizzards - just hours after Bodmin Moor in Cornwall suffered most from the overnight 'snowbomb'.

But commuters posted photos of empty roads and station platforms as it appears many chose to work from home or take the day off - with the sarcastic hashtag #Snowmageddon trending with ironic images of fake carnage.
    There's a great deal to study from that link (note the reference to 'doomsday snow') ..

As for 'tent cities and bums' more generally .. of course, conditions like yours would see ours killed off in great numbers. We do have them in the streets, and there's an area in London, just below Waterloo Bridge (on the south side of the Thames) known as 'tent city', where we have a well-established gathering of homeless living outside. Conditions like these prompt advice for them to seek homeless charity help.
    Last edited by Drummond; 02-01-2019 at 12:46 PM.

21. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Obviously yours is always a colder climate in winter than my part of the world is.

As comparatively small as the British Isles is compared to continental America, we have 'extremes' of weather from one end of it to the other. Scotland is pretty much guaranteed snow in winter ... in other parts, it's less likely. Wales (where I am) tends to have a 50-50 chance of heavy snowfall sometime in winter. London (where I was originally from) more usually escapes it altogether .. though hasn't done, this time.

Any appreciable snowfall ... everything seizes up. Local councils grit the roads, though they always argue that further snowfall after the initial gritting makes their efforts useless. So, in conditions such as we've had over the past 24 hours or so, people here just accept that conditions will get bad, and 'wait them out'.

This, I know, is the opposite to Canada's attitude. However heavy the snowfall, they cope ! Trains keep running in far worse conditions than ours. It's become apparent for decades that our coping abilities are pathetic compared to theirs.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...W-hits-UK.html

There's a great deal to study from that link (note the reference to 'doomsday snow') ..

As for 'tent cities and bums' more generally .. of course, conditions like yours would see ours killed off in great numbers. We do have them in the streets, and there's an area in London, just below Waterloo Bridge (on the south side of the Thames) known as 'tent city', where we have a well-established gathering of homeless living outside. Conditions like these prompt advice for them to seek homeless charity help.
    My younger sister had our DNA tested, and my ancestors are mainly from Scandinavia and England, with a good smattering of all around Europe. Nothing surprising since any Anglo person with a fair complexion and blue eyes such as myself, that is where we're from.

Did you know that blue eyes are the most rare color eyes?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

My younger sister had our DNA tested, and my ancestors are mainly from Scandinavia and England, with a good smattering of all around Europe. Nothing surprising since any Anglo person with a fair complexion and blue eyes such as myself, that is where we're from.

Not to mention the Vikings over-ran England, as did Rome. I think most of us are made up of many things.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

24. Likes High_Plains_Drifter, Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Yes, I did know that. Also that naturally fair hair isn't a dominant factor ... dark hair wins out in any hereditary 'battle'.

They say that the further west you go in the British Isles, the greater the likelihood that the genetic makeup of the population remains 'pure' British. Me ... I'm a born 'n' bred Londoner, and I'm basically a mix of English and Irish ... with an unconfirmed rumour in our family that my mother's father's side of my family had Italian blood.

26. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Well we've had several days and nights of 40 and over temps and the snow is probably 80% gone, I love it.

Going to start getting back down there again today though, but to around seasonal temps. I can live with that. It's the 36 below stuff I can live without.

28. Likes Abbey Marie liked this post