Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Default E. Coli from butchers?

New E. Coli outbreak/warning: http://www.komotv.com/news/9475687.html

Reading that, the thought came to me: I cannot recall a single meat-recall where the stuff was NOT sold from chains/supermarkets. Anyone? Anyone know people or stories where meat purchased thru a real butcher made ppl sick?
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

No, but the media has no cause to skewer a little mom-and-pop type place. They'd rather go after evil big corporations. I bet incidents per pound processed is about the same on average.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

hrm - interesting, but I'd serioulsy doubt the inceidents per pound theory. Just due to number of handlers, I'd easily trust butcher-meat (www.dougsqualitymeats.com) over ANY chain/supermarket
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    No, but the media has no cause to skewer a little mom-and-pop type place. They'd rather go after evil big corporations. I bet incidents per pound processed is about the same on average.
    Yep. Most (not All) ground meat comes in from the packer pre-ground. That's where the tainting originates, not the store for the most part. Many local Butches buy from the same packers as groceries do, they just tend to do their own ground meat, but even that is not a 100% sure thing, the meat still comes from a packer and can be contaminated.

Personally, I don't trust any of em for ground meat.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Maybe so. But if you have more to produce, then your production runs are longer, so less switching over to another type of meat or product. Every time you switch you're suppose to dissassemble/ clean/ reasemble, and the incentive to neglect something, or make a mistake, goes up with having to do that more often.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post

Personally, I don't trust any of em for ground meat.
    I cook the shit out of that stuff. Its really the only safe way to eat it. My Dad will still order one at a restaurant rare, and has actually been made to sign a waiver.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    I cook the shit out of that stuff. Its really the only safe way to eat it. My Dad will still order one at a restaurant rare, and has actually been made to sign a waiver.
    Same here, although I'll go medium IF I grind it myself. I'll tell ya something, if you do grind it at home and cook the shit outta it, it's still better than store bought ground.

Grinders are pretty cheap. It is a minor pain, but you know "what's in there" when all is said an done. It is soooooo worth it.

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default ................

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    New E. Coli outbreak/warning: http://www.komotv.com/news/9475687.html

Reading that, the thought came to me: I cannot recall a single meat-recall where the stuff was NOT sold from chains/supermarkets. Anyone? Anyone know people or stories where meat purchased thru a real butcher made ppl sick?
    Actually I have. A while ago back in Fallon NV. They also had some major cancer clusters out there too. They were on Unsolved Mysteries. Hundreds of kids were getting cancer and they couldn't figure out why. Some people thought it was Jet Fuel in the water as Fallon is and has been the home of the Top Gun program for years actually almost since the movie came out. Also it is only an hour or so from the Tonopah Test Range and about two-three hours from Area 51.

When they had the meat scare people though it was from the cows drinking the water. Some of the theroy's they came up with were pretty out there thats for sure. People also have to remember that Nevada is the place that they tested nuclear weapons for many years.

If you attack the Clintons publically make sure all your friends know your not planning on commiting suicide ~ McCain 2008
    Happiness is Obama's picture on the back of a milk carton.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I never cook my butcher-burgers past Medium. Steaks? Just warm in the center, and they're good

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nevadamedic View Post
    Actually I have. A while ago back in Fallon NV. They also had some major cancer clusters out there too. They were on Unsolved Mysteries. Hundreds of kids were getting cancer and they couldn't figure out why. Some people thought it was Jet Fuel in the water as Fallon is and has been the home of the Top Gun program for years actually almost since the movie came out. Also it is only an hour or so from the Tonopah Test Range and about two-three hours from Area 51.

When they had the meat scare people though it was from the cows drinking the water. Some of the theroy's they came up with were pretty out there thats for sure. People also have to remember that Nevada is the place that they tested nuclear weapons for many years.
    Do you know the name of the Butcher shop that was selling the tainted meat?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P
    Many local Butches buy from the same packers as groceries do, they just tend to do their own ground meat, but even that is not a 100% sure thing, the meat still comes from a packer and can be contaminated.
    If you're going to a shop that pulls from the same sources, it's time to find a new shop! Seriously..... If you're butcher can't tell you anything about where the beef came from, what and how it was fed - then don't buy from him..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Cp View Post

If you're going to a shop that pulls from the same sources, it's time to find a new shop! Seriously..... If you're butcher can't tell you anything about where the beef came from, what and how it was fed - then don't buy from him..
    They know where it's from, CP. So do I. Unless you pay big bucks you're getting the same as anyone else. On the other hand I've had spensive meat from a very reputable butcher that was not as good as some I've had from the grocery. I'll never buy from that guy again. He sells the same as a grocery at twice the price.

It's difficult to find good meat on a consistent basis at a reasonable price. If you have a source for good stuff, enjoy it while it lasts.

What does your guy charge per lb for rib eye?

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What does your guy charge per lb for rib eye?

Whatever the goin' rate is... I don't care cause it's the best...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Cp View Post
    Whatever the goin' rate is... I don't care cause it's the best...

Unless it's Highlander, you're greatly overstating how good it is.
    It's easier to buy gear than talent.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Same here, although I'll go medium IF I grind it myself. I'll tell ya something, if you do grind it at home and cook the shit outta it, it's still better than store bought ground.

Grinders are pretty cheap. It is a minor pain, but you know "what's in there" when all is said an done. It is soooooo worth it.
    My mom used to have one of those that clamped onto the edge of the counter and you cranked by hand, and it worked great as I remember. I bought the wife one of those monster Kitchen Aid blender thingies with all type of attachments, including a grinder. I used it once for meat and she hated te end result, so I haven't bothered with that since.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    I never cook my butcher-burgers past Medium. Steaks? Just warm in the center, and they're good
    Steaks: Rub in both sides of a 1.5" thick cut with sea salt an hour before cooking. Heat up the grill on high. Grill on high for three minutes, flip for three, flip again and turn 90 degress for 2 minutes, then a third and final flip. Test for doneness by the finger poke method, and they are medium rare (perfect) when just firm after being fleshy. Rub in worchestershire sauce after every flip. Adjust times for thinner cuts.

I'm open for suggestions on how best to test for doneness. I've been hit-or-miss at times.