Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darin View Post
    The problem is, we couldn't affect change on anything that's already happened because it's already happened. That's the rub. Whatever we did would likely lead to the outcome and choices already-made.
    Sometimes time would just make matter materialize however - without input or cause. For instance, if I found plans for a time machine in my grandmother's attic, then I built the time machine with the plans - and brought them to my Grandmother for safe keeping 100 years ago...and she put them in her attic...for me to find...to give to her....

And think about this - depending on one's perspective of time, RIGHT NOW my Grandmother is 15 years old. Her Right now is MY right now 90-some years later...100 years I think, by now. It's kinda neat.

It's the time paradoxes and affects that probably drive my theology as well as helps me understand my place in creation.
    Point well taken, and in such indirectly is tacit proof that time travel, thus far, has not been possible, or at least that we're aware of. Of course the only ones that would be aware if the course of history has been changed by a time travel by someone that went back in time would be only the person that did it, and would he/she tell anyone?
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 03-14-2019 at 05:56 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

So... if you/I went back in time... would we be looking at ourselves in the past, or would we replace ourselves in that time and space?

If we replaced ourselves in that time and space, we certainly could alter the future by our actions. And if it wasn't yourself in that time and space, as in you were viewing yourself in the past as portrayed in "Back to the Future," if you killed yourself, would you then immediately disappear?
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 03-15-2019 at 03:31 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    So... if you/I went back in time... would we be looking at ourselves in the past, or would replace ourselves in that time and space?

If we replaced ourselves in that time and space, we certainly could alter the future by our actions. And if it wasn't yourself in that time and space, as in you were viewing yourself in the past as portrayed in "Back to the Future," if you killed yourself, would you then immediately disappear?
    Yes (IMO)......because you never existed...so the past (your past) would change fast (erased) Father time is in charge of all that stuff...
    Last edited by LongTermGuy; 03-14-2019 at 09:58 PM.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

So... if you/I went back in time... would we be looking at ourselves in the past, or would replace ourselves in that time and space?

but the thing is, the old stuff already happened. It happened and that cannot be changed. Things that have not yet happen have also already happened if one is looking at things from past the point in time where they have not yet happened.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

but the thing is, the old stuff already happened. It happened and that cannot be changed. Things that have not yet happen have also already happened if one is looking at things from past the point in time where they have not yet happened.
    It's your contention, that if someone went back in time, that they couldn't alter the course of time from that point on?

What if you killed someone when you went back in time? Are you saying that wouldn't happen, because, what happened has already happened and can't be changed... interesting premise... maybe we couldn't alter anything. Maybe we'd find that everything is "locked," and we couldn't alter anything. I guess no one will really know until it's possible to time travel, and I think sooner or later they will find a way to do it, just like they're close to being able to regress a person's age.

Well that blows Back To The Future...
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 03-15-2019 at 03:37 AM.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

It's your contention, that if someone went back in time, that they couldn't alter the course of time from that point on?
    Not if forward-of-that point stuff had already happened.

What if you killed someone when you went back in time? Are you saying that wouldn't happen, because, what happened has already happened and can't be changed... interesting premise... maybe we couldn't alter anything. Maybe we'd find that everything is "locked," and we couldn't alter anything. I guess no one will really know until it's possible to time travel, and I think sooner or later they will find a way to do it, just like they're close to being able to regress a person's age.

Well that blows Back To The Future...
    I'm saying the universe would have to somehow create whatever you changed. So if you killed my great grandfather - yet I exist. The universe would have to fill the void. Somehow. It'd mean my grandfather's life after you killed him would still have to happen, because he will not have died until he'd lived his life and had all his grandkids, THEN you could kill him before he did that. After he did it.

#mindbomb
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

7. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    We have a lot of experience ignoring such things. It’s just not worth replying to.
    But since you asked, I’m explaining.
    As was stated earlier in the thread

You guys are no fun

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Not if forward-of-that point stuff had already happened.

I'm saying the universe would have to somehow create whatever you changed. So if you killed my great grandfather - yet I exist. The universe would have to fill the void. Somehow. It'd mean my grandfather's life after you killed him would still have to happen, because he will not have died until he'd lived his life and had all his grandkids, THEN you could kill him before he did that. After he did it.

#mindbomb
    I'm kinda following ya there, bro, but not entirely. Einstein said that energy can neither be created or destroyed, that it only takes a different shape or form. I guess you can compare that to people, because we do have energy. Our entire nervous system is ran on electrical impulses. So... near as I can figure, what you're kinda getting at is, I surmise, that if I killed your grandpaw, which, I hate that premise... I'm no killer... but let's go with that, if I went back in time and killed your grandpa, then where would his energy go that existed in the future? It would have to go somewhere. It couldn't just disappear.

Am I close to what you mean? It's an interesting theory. One I never thought about.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 03-16-2019 at 09:56 PM.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I'm kinda following ya there, bro, but not entirely. Einstein said that energy can neither be created or destroyed, that it only takes a different shape or form. I guess you can compare that to people, because we do have energy. Our entire nervous system is ran on electrical impulses. So... near as I can figure, what you're kinda getting at is, I surmise, that if I killed your grandpaw, which, I hate that premise... I'm no killer... but let's go with that, if I went back in time and killed your grandpa, then where would his energy go that existed in the future? It would have to go somewhere. It couldn't just disappear.

Am I close to what you mean? It's an interesting theory. One I never thought about.

Doesn't mean Einstein is right. It just means the universe would have to create the missing pieces. Because those pieces would have to happen. His energy wouldn't go anywhere in that time stream per se - because he will not have died then until you killed him now. Back then. That's the entire crux of time travel.

Time happens all at once in a way. Right now it is 100 years ago for the people 100 years ago. If we looked down upon the stream of time we could see everything at once. So for our 'now' we see past present and future.

So - If somebody went back and killed Hitler, say, but they did not kill him until MY today. TODAY someone went back in killed hitler - up until that point hitler lived.

OOH - and get this, if someone decided yesterday to go back and kill hitler tomorrow then comes back to the same day he left, there would be nothing to come back to really, because he would have had no reason to decide to kill on for the person to have grown up, trained, and decided yesterday to kill hitler in the first place. So once he killed hitler he could not have ever gone back to kill him in the first place because all that history - that lead him to yesterday's choice to go back - would never have happened. Or DID it?

See? (sigh)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Doesn't mean Einstein is right. It just means the universe would have to create the missing pieces. Because those pieces would have to happen. His energy wouldn't go anywhere in that time stream per se - because he will not have died then until you killed him now. Back then. That's the entire crux of time travel.

Time happens all at once in a way. Right now it is 100 years ago for the people 100 years ago. If we looked down upon the stream of time we could see everything at once. So for our 'now' we see past present and future.

So - If somebody went back and killed Hitler, say, but they did not kill him until MY today. TODAY someone went back in killed hitler - up until that point hitler lived.

OOH - and get this, if someone decided yesterday to go back and kill hitler tomorrow then comes back to the same day he left, there would be nothing to come back to really, because he would have had no reason to decide to kill on for the person to have grown up, trained, and decided yesterday to kill hitler in the first place. So once he killed hitler he could not have ever gone back to kill him in the first place because all that history - that lead him to yesterday's choice to go back - would never have happened. Or DID it?

See? (sigh)
    In other words, killing Hitler would create a completely impossible paradox. The supposed time traveller would have no reason to want to change history, if history had been changed !! Said individual could only be conscious of one history. Hitler couldn't have been killed by a time traveller if the traveller wasn't conscious of a need to commit the act, which is what a revised history would say had happened. If no intention could exist, no such journey would take place, therefore, Hitler wouldn't have been murdered.

[Besides ... as I said before, the Earth constantly moves in space (as does the Sun it orbits, as does the galaxy it's in, & as do all galaxies). You have to be in the precise location where Hitler was, on the day in question ... on an Earth which, by that point, probably would've been BILLIONS of miles distant in space from the time traveller's starting-point !!]
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

12. Likes darin liked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    In other words, killing Hitler would create a completely impossible paradox. The supposed time traveller would have no reason to want to change history, if history had been changed !! Said individual could only be conscious of one history. Hitler couldn't have been killed by a time traveller if the traveller wasn't conscious of a need to commit the act, which is what a revised history would say had happened. If no intention could exist, no such journey would take place, therefore, Hitler wouldn't have been murdered.

[Besides ... as I said before, the Earth constantly moves in space (as does the Sun it orbits, as does the galaxy it's in, & as do all galaxies). You have to be in the precise location where Hitler was, on the day in question ... on an Earth which, by that point, probably would've been BILLIONS of miles distant in space from the time traveller's starting-point !!]

Yep.

14. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

As a witness of events (as a pose to an actor in them) I would narrow the list to 3 -

To see the building of the greatest Egyptian pyramids, to completion and full glory.

Back many billions of years experience the scene of obliteration - the impact of a body on our planet that is believed to of created the Moon.

Finally back to the 1600s to witness with the last supernova in our galaxy, with Kepler.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

You buzz killing nerds lol the question wasn't "is time travel possible" the question was "if it was , what would you change?"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    You buzz killing nerds lol the question wasn't "is time travel possible" the question was "if it was , what would you change?"
    Seriously!

(Actually, the question was, if you could go back in time, would you?)
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    it's a vortex.