Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Friends around town / political friendships

I've got what I thought were some friends around town here where I live. Not folks I would call best friends, but friends nonetheless. A few examples are just of some guys I see almost daily where we get our coffee/donuts/papers and anything else you need. And of course it's a great place to just chat with friends and just do some BS'n.

Well, inevitably, during the elections, of course the candidates got brought up. Anything from Obama in office, to Hillary/Sander, to of course Trump. Things were find until I made a choice. And then boy did I have some 'splainin to do! LOL

But then I was left in the dust, or left to discuss things alone, or folks would pull in and out and come other times and all that cool stuff. That's fine, I can live and survive. But 2 guys tossed our friendship away and literally disappeared and didn't want to talk about anything, let alone politics. I guess since I supported Trump, I wasn't worthy of talking to about anything at all.

So then the other day I am in the back office helping the manager, and I walk out and see one of the guys, obviously surprising him. He tried to play it off, and tried to play it friendly. I said hello, smiled and moved along. If I ain't good enough to be your friend over stupid things, and you're willing to drop me as a friend over politics, then bite me 'ol big butt!

One guy I really did like though and thought we were friends. The other guy, truly couldn't care less.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks Drummond, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I've got what I thought were some friends around town here where I live. Not folks I would call best friends, but friends nonetheless. A few examples are just of some guys I see almost daily where we get our coffee/donuts/papers and anything else you need. And of course it's a great place to just chat with friends and just do some BS'n.

Well, inevitably, during the elections, of course the candidates got brought up. Anything from Obama in office, to Hillary/Sander, to of course Trump. Things were find until I made a choice. And then boy did I have some 'splainin to do! LOL

But then I was left in the dust, or left to discuss things alone, or folks would pull in and out and come other times and all that cool stuff. That's fine, I can live and survive. But 2 guys tossed our friendship away and literally disappeared and didn't want to talk about anything, let alone politics. I guess since I supported Trump, I wasn't worthy of talking to about anything at all.

So then the other day I am in the back office helping the manager, and I walk out and see one of the guys, obviously surprising him. He tried to play it off, and tried to play it friendly. I said hello, smiled and moved along. If I ain't good enough to be your friend over stupid things, and you're willing to drop me as a friend over politics, then bite me 'ol big butt!

One guy I really did like though and thought we were friends. The other guy, truly couldn't care less.
    The four big things that costs friendships, politics, religion, stolen money, and stolen girlfriends.......
    Nobody is your friend that would even try to steal either your money or your girlfriend.
    Only religion I vehemently object to is Islam. I have never had a muslim friend and i never will. Same as I've never had a pet snake.
    On religion, I care not what religion a person is, unless that religion is Islam.
    A decent morally fine democrat that is my friend, I'll be theirs. I have a democrat friend that lives in Cali that fits that bill.
    And the huge problem is that over 90% of democrats are not anywhere near being morally decent, IMHO.
    Truth and Life when combined will severely limit ones friendships my friend.
    Always best to stay away from biting dogs, lying bastards and most Dems..-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

It’s so disappointing. Is it really so hard to just be friendly? It’s not like you’re inviting them over to help you move. It’s just chit-chat.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    It’s so disappointing. Is it really so hard to just be friendly? It’s not like you’re inviting them over to help you move. It’s just chit-chat.
    Yes, it is apparently. It's not a one-sided deal though. There's enough hatred on BOTH sides to go around.

I don't discuss politics outside the front door, or on this board. Mostly, I don't have occasion to. I derail any effort to drag me in otherwise. THAT alone pisses off some people.

Manners are manners. They don't belong to a political party. You have them or you don't.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

6. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I have a friend who's a lifelong Democrat. We have lunch together once a week and hang out regularly on weekends. Every time I see him I remind him just how dishonest and outright criminal the DNC is.

Weird thing is , he basically disagrees with the Democrats on 99% of issues, but he's from Chicago and voted Democrat his entire life and probably will continue to do so long after he's dead.

We can argue politics and then enjoy a beer (or 10) and a round of golf with each other.

There is NO WAY I could be friends with anyone who is in agreement with the far left loons we see today. NO WAY.

8. Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I've got a couple friends that are democrats, and they were friends long before I actually knew they were democrats.

One of them is my very dear friend, the electrical business owner. We just kinda avoid talking politics and that's fine with me, and we're good friends.

The other is a more rabid leftist and we used to have a few beers and hash over politics, and we'd get all excited and holler and the works, but even then we'd run out of steam, have another beer and still be friends. Sometimes we'd even wind up agreeing on a few things, because he really isn't anti American like so many of the new little indoctrinated teeny bubble heads.

The rest of my friends are pretty good conservatives.

10. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I'd still break bread and pop a top with you... It doesn't matter to me how wrong you might be (wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more...), I enjoyed our brief, introductory beers...

Besides, Trump is temporary...
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    Well, if it makes you feel any better, I'd still break bread and pop a top with you... It doesn't matter to me how wrong you might be (wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more...), I enjoyed our brief, introductory beers...

Besides, Trump is temporary...
    Trump himself may be temporary, but, by the time he irrevocably leaves Office, will he have managed to leave a lasting legacy in his wake ?

On the thread's subject-matter: I've found, certainly locally to where I live, that many people actively maintain, shall we say, 'personal agendas'. These take several forms, but interwoven into all of it is a belief-system, or 'views', which a person crosses at their peril. Defy certain views ... you defy something of the essence of what drives such an agenda-driven person. This amounts to a rejection OF that person, in that person's worldview.

It's primitive thinking, perhaps bigoted, and I suppose 'unevolved'.

But I declare myself to be guilty of it. I cannot come to terms with accepting as a 'friend' anyone who's irremediably, and certainly radically, 'Left Wing'. Such a person, unless insanely deluded, could ultimately fail to realise how toxic their politics is, unless that poison is willingly embraced by said person. If not open to persuasion against such a view ... can it be said that the toxicity in that person 'de-merits' him or her from being worth bothering with ?

In my humble (? 'flawed') opinion ... YES.
    Last edited by Drummond; 03-13-2019 at 04:57 PM.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

~ "I guess since I supported Trump, I wasn't worthy of talking to about anything at all." ~

Friends like that Jimmy are to stupid to "Keep".....Choosing Failed "you can keep your doctor" Obama / corrupt...weak..crazy hillary over Trump is like eating dog-shit just to prove ones point on how much they hate Trump...and love Liberal Ignorance...

**Still pisses me off on how much `money` failed obama gave the muslim
    jihad cacaroaches.... (150 billion cash) and more!

14. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LongTermGuy View Post
    ~ "I guess since I supported Trump, I wasn't worthy of talking to about anything at all." ~

Friends like that Jimmy are to stupid to "Keep".....Choosing Failed "you can keep your doctor" Obama / corrupt...weak..crazy hillary over Trump is like eating dog-shit just to prove ones point on how much they hate Trump...and love Liberal Ignorance...

**Still pisses me off on how much `money` failed obama gave the muslim
    jihad cacaroaches.... (150 billion cash) and more!
    You mean how much treason that sorry-ass piece of dog shit engaged in and got away with thanks to the media, treasonous dem party and his globalist handlers!
    He should be in prison for his treason instead of out free to continue his hatred and treasonous acts involving this nation.
    That he is not, to me clearly points to, just how likely this nation is to fall within the next 10 to 20 years, IMHO..-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

16. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

So... would any conservative here want to beat the shit otta Pete if they ever met him, SIMPLY because he's a brain washed, rabid leftist?

I wouldn't. The only reason I'd ever touch anybody is if they touched me first, and I get the feeling Pete isn't about brawling. He runs his mouth kinda reckless but that's no reason to kick his ass. If he ATTACKED you, physically, that's a reason to kick his ass, or anyone else, dem, repub, black, white, man, woman, beast. You have ALWAYS got the right to defend yourself.