Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

A quick search brought up this study -

To find the states with the most and least influential voters, WalletHub calculated the number of elected officials in the federal government per total number of adult residents in each state during the current midterm election year. The calculation methods we used for this study resulted in three key metrics, which are described below, along with their corresponding weights. The higher the ratio for each, the more powerful the voters were or will be in the elections. We also gave double weight to those particular races where a tossup is anticipated (regardless if they were for senate, house or gubernatorial).
    For this particular study, we counted only the population aged 18 or older. While elected state officials represent everyone in their states, the purpose of this study is to rank the relative influence of voters across states. However, our data was not able to account for the limited number of state laws that allow 17-year-old residents to vote and/or bar prisoners or felons from doing so.
    - Senate Elections – Full Weight: Number of Senators in Each State/Projected Population Aged 18 or Older in 2018
    - House Elections – Full Weight: Number of Representatives in Each State/Projected Population Aged 18 or Older in 2018
    - Gubernatorial Elections – Full Weight: Governor /Projected Population Aged 18 or Older in 2018
    Sources: Data used to create these rankings is courtesy of the U.S. Census Bureau.
    https://wallethub.com/edu/how-much-i...2/#methodology

All the steps in the methodology seem reasonable (though personally I don’t like the doubling weight for tossup races), and with or without that quibble I think the picture is clear - a votes worth is very much dependent on where they are in the country.
    Last edited by Noir; 03-20-2019 at 01:16 PM.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default Noir.....are you happy that this runs your life?

French Politicians in Paris, and Other Large Populated area's...CONTROL YOUR LIFE, without YOU having any say?

If YOU had an ELECTORAL COLLEGE system where you live. Maybe you'd have a voice, over all of the Majority in those cities...who IGNORE you.

Just an example of why WE, here in the USA, prefer the Constitutional, Democratic Republic methods created by those DIRTY OLD WHITE MEN, back in the 1700's???????
    I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.
    Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me:

3. Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post

All the steps in the methodology seem reasonable (though personally I don’t like the doubling weight for tossup races), and with or without that quibble I think the picture is clear - a votes worth is very much dependent on where they are in the country.
    Your vote is the same as everyone else. Then states are weighted, and in the end, depending on who wins, they get a certain amount of electoral votes. Some even divvy up the votes depending on vote totals.

So votes are the same. But the electoral college takes into account the size of the places voting. So while NY and Cali, for example, can't be deciding the election via the popular vote - the opposite ensures that a small minority don't speak for the majority. It's genius all the way around.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

5. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Likes Elessar liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

If you sit in your village where ever it it is and come down to a face to face vote,
    You might have an argument.

In an Nation of over 320 million, there is NOT that argument.

That is why our laws were written as such - something you cannot grasp.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    The first time they try it, that election will be tied up in court for years. After that, the civil war starts....
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by icansayit View Post
    French Politicians in Paris, and Other Large Populated area's...CONTROL YOUR LIFE, without YOU having any say?

If YOU had an ELECTORAL COLLEGE system where you live. Maybe you'd have a voice, over all of the Majority in those cities...who IGNORE you.

Just an example of why WE, here in the USA, prefer the Constitutional, Democratic Republic methods created by those DIRTY OLD WHITE MEN, back in the 1700's???????
    I’d be interested to hear in what way you think a politician in Paris has control over my life?

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    If you sit in your village where ever it it is and come down to a face to face vote,
    You might have an argument.

In an Nation of over 320 million, there is NOT that argument.

That is why our laws were written as such - something you cannot grasp.
    Yes. I said in this very thread that large voting systems require disparity.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default No need to explain any of that to you.

I’d be interested to hear in what way you think a politician in Paris has control over my life?

Yes. I said in this very thread that large voting systems require disparity.

We are watching the YELLOW VEST actions there. If you are happy with the way PARIS, and OTHER large, politically controlled cities are in charge of your life.

Perhaps you might learn a little more about the comparison between YOUR LAWS, and Our Constitution.

Just a suggestion, and you'll get your own questions to me....answered.
    I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.
    Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Face it.

The liberals will resort to threats, lawsuits (with no merit), stonewalling, obstruction, civil unrest,
    riots, contrived lies, illegal immigrants allowed full citizen rights, and slander in their attempts to gain power.

Cheating at the ballot box is another trait.

I used to respect the Democratic party. No longer now with this breed of cheaters and liars.
    All they care about is power over the minds of the citizens.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Face it.

The liberals will resort to threats, lawsuits (with no merit), stonewalling, obstruction, civil unrest,
    riots, contrived lies, illegal immigrants allowed full citizen rights, and slander in their attempts to gain power.

Cheating at the ballot box is another trait.

I used to respect the Democratic party. No longer now with this breed of cheaters and liars.
    All they care about is power over the minds of the citizens.
    I voted for Clinton, twice and even voted for Gore but this today is not my grand father's DNC. They are now just a collection of criminals.