Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Beto Suggested Legalizing Cocaine To End Mexican Drug Cartel Violence

I'm sorry, still hold the same stance. Chemical made drugs like cocaine, meth, heroin, opiates, fentanyl... No way in hell these drugs should be legalized. This is similar crap to what Ron/Rand Paul or whomever suggested. These drugs lead to death or jail - nowhere else, that's it.

---

Beto Suggested Legalizing Cocaine To End Mexican Drug Cartel Violence Spilling 'Everyday' Into El Paso

As Democratic candidates argue against President Trump that there is no national emergency due to illegal alien narcotic trafficking and other crimes, it is important to remember that one candidate is all too familiar with the violence caused by Mexican drug cartels. Then known as El Paso city Councilman Robert O'Rourke, the Texas native suggested a decade ago that the United States had to legalize drugs such as cocaine and marijuana in order to stop the killings and brutality plaguing his hometown daily. Today, he still holds this view on drugs but argues that the violence does not exist anywhere at all on the border anymore.

"We feel the violence every day," O'Rourke told CNN on March 20, 2009 . "The cartels control [Juarez], and that spills over onto the U.S. side."

"Decriminalizing drugs would take away a lot of the financial incentive for the cartels to kill. The violence would go down," he argued.

Decriminalization to solve the crime brought in by Mexican cartels was also popular among some Attorney Generals at the time:

via CNN:

The rising violence has prompted people like O'Rourke, and now Arizona Attorney General Terry Goddard, to examine all options.

"We are not winning the battle," Goddard said at a congressional hearing this week in Washington. "Sixty percent of the battle is marijuana."
    Rest - https://townhall.com/tipsheet/timoth...lence-n2543392
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

He is clearly deluded, and I suspect in the pockets of the cartels
    based on his rhetoric.

I do not use rumor or speculation, just deal in facts. He seems to
    be clearly in arms with the the cartels based on his own comments.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

drug addiction is a health problem not a criminal problem. once you understand that, your perspective changes.
    Last edited by pete311; 03-21-2019 at 11:33 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete311 View Post
    drug addiction is a health problem not a criminal problem. once you understand that, your perspective changes.
    I agree that addiction then becomes a health problem. But selling meth over the border for example, that is a crime, no way a health matter. People snorting cocaine or meth - while maybe addiction took them over - NO WAY those drugs should be made legal. Perhaps HELP those people break the addiction - but legalization of such hardcore drugs will kill these people in the end.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I agree that addiction then becomes a health problem. But selling meth over the border for example, that is a crime, no way a health matter. People snorting cocaine or meth - while maybe addiction took them over - NO WAY those drugs should be made legal. Perhaps HELP those people break the addiction - but legalization of such hardcore drugs will kill these people in the end.
    People don't take drugs based on legality. If someone wants to take coke, they will. I don't think legalization means Walgreens will be selling bottles of meth.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

People don't take drugs based on legality. If someone wants to take coke, they will. I don't think legalization means Walgreens will be selling bottles of meth.
    No, they don't, but I'll guarantee you that it becomes more readily available, and with no consequences, it will become much cheaper... and the use will get worse. It will only increase the usage and I also guarantee there will be more deaths. Seems the majority will tell you the reason they don't stop is the addiction, they don't want withdrawals. If it's cheaper and no charges if you get caught - what choice do you think they will make?

Penalties should remain, and if anything help these people out with ways to rehab and help with addictions and avoiding withdrawals. THAT would put a huge dent in things.

Thing is, Pete, is that I know some people personally that have died over the years. Their own damn faults on OD's, but that's what those drugs do - they will either end up killing you, or killing you.

"I used to do a little but then a little wouldn't do it, so the little got more and more..."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

he still holds this view on drugs but argues that the violence does not exist anywhere at all on the border anymore.
    Maybe he should try being around it more instead of hanging out on the East Coast. The violence is still here, and it isn't just "spillover". The cartels aren't smuggling those drugs to "nobody".
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

No, they don't, but I'll guarantee you that it becomes more readily available, and with no consequences, it will become much cheaper... and the use will get worse. It will only increase the usage and I also guarantee there will be more deaths. Seems the majority will tell you the reason they don't stop is the addiction, they don't want withdrawals. If it's cheaper and no charges if you get caught - what choice do you think they will make?

Penalties should remain, and if anything help these people out with ways to rehab and help with addictions and avoiding withdrawals. THAT would put a huge dent in things.

Thing is, Pete, is that I know some people personally that have died over the years. Their own damn faults on OD's, but that's what those drugs do - they will either end up killing you, or killing you.

"I used to do a little but then a little wouldn't do it, so the little got more and more..."
    This isn't what happened in Portugal. They decriminalized in 2001 and treat drug addiction with education and healthcare. It's been a huge success. Healthy and educated people don't take heroin just like healthy and educated people don't stick a fork into an outlet. But if a healthy and educated person does have a moment of idiocy and does stick a fork into an outlet they go to the hospital, not jail.
    Last edited by pete311; 03-22-2019 at 10:14 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

This isn't what happened in Portugal. They decriminalized in 2001 and treat drug addiction with education and healthcare. It's been a huge success. Healthy and educated people don't take heroin just like healthy and educated people don't stick a fork into an outlet. But if a healthy and educated person does have a moment of idiocy and does stick a fork into an outlet they go to the hospital, not jail.
    Well, we aren't Portugal, and we have a LOT more drugs coming in and out of the States and accessible already. But hell, I'm not gonna argue with you over dumb stuff. If you think making it legal for everyone to get involved with drugs that kill, so be it. I'm of the belief that most of those drugs lead to nothing good. Only the rehab and things to help with addiction seemed to help. Cocaine, meth, fentanyl, heroin - such drugs like that should never be legal in any form, IMO. Treat, education and healthcare - and rehabs - I agree with you 100%. But that should be in tandem with completely getting rid of these drugs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Well, we aren't Portugal, and we have a LOT more drugs coming in and out of the States and accessible already. But hell, I'm not gonna argue with you over dumb stuff. If you think making it legal for everyone to get involved with drugs that kill, so be it. I'm of the belief that most of those drugs lead to nothing good. Only the rehab and things to help with addiction seemed to help. Cocaine, meth, fentanyl, heroin - such drugs like that should never be legal in any form, IMO. Treat, education and healthcare - and rehabs - I agree with you 100%. But that should be in tandem with completely getting rid of these drugs.
    I'm more in favor of decriminalization. Legal for stuff like weed is trivial. Legal for heroin and meth, I agree ripe for serious debate.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I'm more in favor of decriminalization. Legal for stuff like weed is trivial. Legal for heroin and meth, I agree ripe for serious debate.
    Either way, no punishments, and then the drug users will go all out, and the prices will drop. Sucks to have to penalize those addicted - but if they aren't going to a rehab freely.... and that's why I say increase rehabs, give them an alternative to fines and prison.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Either way, no punishments, and then the drug users will go all out, and the prices will drop. Sucks to have to penalize those addicted - but if they aren't going to a rehab freely.... and that's why I say increase rehabs, give them an alternative to fines and prison.
    drug dealers go all out? huh? people don't take drugs whether or not they are legal or decriminalized. Just about every party I go to even in my mid 30s has some sort of drugs. The war is lost. More rehabs yes, but also more regulation because half the rehabs are ineffective and predatory.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Liberals should treat drugs in the same manner that they treat guns.

14. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    Liberals should treat drugs in the same manner that they treat guns.
    pretty sure guns are legal, so....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Sooo much easier to get the nerve run down children, when you’ve done some lines.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey