Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

You'd THINK, that if they were so worried about a fire at quite possibly the world's greatest cathedral, they'd have taken EVERY, POSSIBLE, PRECAUTION, NOT to accidentally spark a fire... you'd THINK. But no, oh no, they just came in willy nilly and went about their work not caring if something they were doing that caused that much heat would start a fire, but they did, they just ignored any precautions, and went ahead and caused some sort of enough heat or sparks flying, whatever, by doing something, we don't know what, and they just paid no attention to it and STARTED THE FIRE, and didn't even know that they started the fire.

Nope... not buying that scenario for a second, and if I was the crew and/or contractor, I'd be pissed off that they'd even suggested that my crew and my construction ethics and knowledge were that lackadaisical.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 04-18-2019 at 11:04 AM.

2. Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Seems that fire has been a concern:

https://frenchly.us/was-everything-p...ame-cathedral/

Was Everything Possible Done to Avoid the Fire atNotre-Dame Cathedral?

Benjamin Mouton is Chief Architect of Historic Monuments (ACMH). He was architecte en charge ofNotre-Dame de Paris Cathedral from 2000 to 2013, and is still today its architecte en chef. At thebeginning of 2010, he implemented a strict monitoring and fire prevention protocol. In an interviewwith Le Point conducted after the Notre-Dame de Paris Cathedral fire on Monday, April 15, hereviewed the difficulties and risks involved in restoring the site on such a scale.

Le Point: What types of precautions against fires were in place in this cathedral, which istoday largely destroyed?

Benjamin Mouton: It’s one of the most monitored buildings in our country. In 2010 and 2011, Iimplemented a rigorous protection protocol for fire risk prevention. Specifically, the protection planwas based on a permanent monitoring system relying on detectors (paying attention to the possiblerisks of electrical short-circuits), the installation of doors and firewalls, and the presence of twofiremen 24 hours a day, making three rounds a day. With the idea being that the sooner the alert wasmade, the sooner we could intervene. It’s unimaginable, yesterday’s fire spread in an absolutelyastounding way!

LP: What are the current prospects for reconstruction?

BM: First of all, it will be necessary to identify the damage that the building has suffered. Then,install a temporary roof, an “umbrella” to prevent rain from entering the premises and to dry out therafters and attic space. Then it will be a question of making a precise assessment of what can bepreserved or is lost, removing the burned wood from this splendid “Gothic forest” that has been scarred. In 2012, we inventoried the type of old wood used in the structure, some of which predatedthe 12th century. Before starting the renovation, it will be necessary to inspect the stone vaults thathave been subjected to extreme heat, over 900 degrees Celsius (1652 Fahrenheit). This thermalshock transforms the limestone into lime (a sort of calcium chalk), weakening these load-bearingstructures, which are already weighed down by the water poured out by the fire brigade’s hoses. Butthe cathedral must open as soon as possible. Its rescue will come from a quick recovery andresponse. In northern England, York Cathedral was reborn from the ashes after being struck bylighting in 1984. This is an example that may provide some optimism.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Seems that fire has been a concern:

https://frenchly.us/was-everything-p...ame-cathedral/
    Of course fire has been a concern, I mean we're talking about a thousand year old box of kindling wood. But it just happened to recently catch on fire after an influx of Muslims into France , and when many other churches are being burned down, and right before a major Christian holiday? That's a bit too many coincidences to just say "hey it was an old wood building, no need to wonder" for me.

5. Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    Of course fire has been a concern, I mean we're talking about a thousand year old box of kindling wood. But it just happened to recently catch on fire after an influx of Muslims into France , and when many other churches are being burned down, and right before a major Christian holiday? That's a bit too many coincidences to just say "hey it was an old wood building, no need to wonder" for me.
    I understand the thinking, I just don't like to 'be sure' without any evidence to go on. In this case, there's more to say that it was unintentional than something else. Does that mean it was an accident? No. I'm just wired to looking at what's before me. There's arguments on both the 'certains' and 'the investigators.' Right now it just seems to me to be folly to close one's mind to fit one's preferred narrative.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I understand the thinking, I just don't like to 'be sure' without any evidence to go on. In this case, there's more to say that it was unintentional than something else. Does that mean it was an accident? No. I'm just wired to looking at what's before me. There's arguments on both the 'certains' and 'the investigators.' Right now it just seems to me to be folly to close one's mind to fit one's preferred narrative.
    I agree with that, I'm not "certain" that it was a Muslim attack. I just am pretty certain in terms of talking on a message board.