Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    Wow. I've only just encountered all of this. Until now, I had no idea such contention was going on.

I'm not at all sure it's my business to get involved in this, but, I've a perspective to offer.

For starters, boards such as this one should require, and have, certain civilised standards. Name-calling just to satisfy one's ego, for example, definitely isn't one of them. OK ... there's such a thing as 'provocaction', but ideally it shouldn't become an issue. If it is, then we've got the PM facility to use, to let off steam or otherwise work towards a resolution.

This board exists to facilitate reasoned discussion. Its members should be dedicated to that goal. Now, one member may put forward an idea, or perspective, which another disagrees with extremely strongly ... deservedly so, or not. The 'deservedly or not' is something that should be tested, as objectively as possible, to see what holds greater merit.

Ideally, such a debate weeds out what is or is not meritorious, then, if it's a question of conceding to the better argument or the better, more evident truth, then the 'losing Party' should have the good grace to concede, as logic and decency demands.

Well now ... that, folks, is the 'ideal' to strive for. So often, it doesn't work out that way. Egotism takes over. Or, pride. Or, adherence to an agenda which the losing Party can never give ground on, ever, no matter how unjustified are the grounds for continued adherence.

Absolutely none of that is helpful, or achieves anything constructive.

Boards such as this are, actually, a valuable resource -- or, CAN be, if used wisely. But, no. Too often their potential is strayed from.

I, myself, have strong beliefs, and I'm here to not only give voice to them, but to see how well they stand up to any degree of testing of them. Sure, I'll fight my corner as strongly as possible, BUT, if proven wrong on something, I'll concede it.

Proven truth will do it, or, the sheer strength of an opposing argument. An abiding objectivity will do it, IF appropriately applied.

Now ... isn't that the preferred approach ? Or will name-calling win the day, instead, and will the Steel Cage always need to be here, as a pressure valve, for those who'll stoop to name-calling as a preference ?

'You Pussies' isn't the most objective or helpful use of language I can think of. It serves to inflame, to spur people on into offence, outrage, and entrenched positions. It's just useless as any way forward.

So, my suggestion: we're here to debate. If an arguing position is proven weak and lacking in merit ... have the decency and objectivity to do what civilised behaviour demands, and follow through accordingly.
    Yes, this thread was entirely meant to inflame little titty babies who start fights and then cry to the Admin that either another person is banned or they are leaving. Those people are pussies and should be told such.

When reasoned discussion is given, it is returned, as you yourself have recently seen in the thread about vaccines.

EVERYTHING has its time and place including pussy comments, that is the purpose of areas like the Steel Cage. To make sure things stay in their place. I mean you wouldn't expect to find a reasoned debate about medicare for all in the Steel Cage, for example, would you?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Sorry guys, I thought this was over. Drummond brings up excellent points to ponder!! I'm shutting this down before what I thought was over, comes back again. I'd prefer folks read things like what Drummond wrote, and what others have spoken about.

Not everything MUST be responded to and not everything must be a fight. Sometimes the upper road of silence wins out over fighting.

Start another thread if one thinks this is censorship, and just HAVE to continue this. But I think this ship has sailed and would prefer to go back to indirect fighting over political issues and less fighting just because we can.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

3. Thanks hjmick, Drummond thanked this post