Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Default Virtue Signaling

Latest around here: Folks put a bunch of shiny blue and silver spinning things on their front lawn, with a sign about stopping child abuse. Yeah, that’ll do it.

After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

2. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Latest around here: Folks put a bunch of shiny blue and silver spinning things on their front lawn, with a sign about stopping child abuse. Yeah, that’ll do it.

I've had yellow ribbons tied around two trees in my front yard since Sept 12, 2001.

I'm okay with these sorts of displays or whatever, what gets me is people who try to browbeat others into supporting THEIR causes with such displays. Gee Karen maybe I don't want to repost your "share this post condemning child abuse or you're going to hell " meme. That doesn't mean I'm pro child abuse.

4. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

While they herald, celebrate, promote, praise, enjoy and buy rap music and its degenerative lyrics that promote a breakdown of society our culture
    and common decency/Christian based morality. And go along with the dem party and its utter stupidity, lack of morality and agenda to take our culture down to the lowest common denominator!
    Yeah, that’ll do it.- -Tyr
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 05-03-2019 at 09:28 AM.
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

6. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    I've had yellow ribbons tied around two trees in my front yard since Sept 12, 2001.

I'm okay with these sorts of displays or whatever, what gets me is people who try to browbeat others into supporting THEIR causes with such displays. Gee Karen maybe I don't want to repost your "share this post condemning child abuse or you're going to hell " meme. That doesn't mean I'm pro child abuse.
    I think there is a little bit of a difference between showing support for those who lay their life on the line, and virtue signaling. I see it as more like displaying our flag, which we do. One is about others, the other is showing the neighbors you care about a current topic. Maybe it’s just me.

Another one I see around here is a yard sign that says “Hate has no home here”. Uggh. It makes me want to put up a “Hate lives here” sign, lol.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

8. Likes STTAB, Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default We just keep showing this, every day..since I retired in 1995

The flag, and pole has been stolen twice. But we keep replacing it, and our Anti-Trump neighbors across the street...have never had one. Now I know why.
    I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.
    Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me:

10. Thanks STTAB thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie, Drummond, Elessar liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I think there is a little bit of a difference between showing support for those who lay their life on the line, and virtue signaling. I see it as more like displaying our flag, which we do. One is about others, the other is showing the neighbors you care about a current topic. Maybe it’s just me.

Another one I see around here is a yard sign that says “Hate has no home here”. Uggh. It makes me want to put up a “Hate lives here” sign, lol.
    LOL Now Abbey that seems more like something I would do .

12. Likes Abbey Marie, Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

If one is American , lives it, breathes it , and honors it, there is no need to put any sign in ones yard-- ok to do so but no need.
    Certainly not if one has spent a lifetime of standing up for it and never backing down from anybody while doing so..
    That defiance is being a true American in my humble opinion, and trust me on this - it comes at a very high cost...... .-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

14. Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

These things worry me ... maybe more than they should, but still ...

It all comes across to me as a 'bend to my point of view' exercise, as if the act of advertising any cause or issue must have the effect of browbeating people into a spirit of acquiescence.

If people believe that tactic carries with it a justification for the cause, JUST because of the tactic itself, it says something unsavoury about the psychology of those doing it.

[What's next ? ISIS flags springing up, and Jihads appearing In A Neighbourhood Near You .. ?]
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

16. Thanks Abbey Marie, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes Elessar liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post

It all comes across to me as a 'bend to my point of view' exercise, as if the act of advertising any cause or issue must have the effect of browbeating people into a spirit of acquiescence.

If people believe that tactic carries with it a justification for the cause, JUST because of the tactic itself, it says something unsavoury about the psychology of those doing it.

[What's next ? ISIS flags springing up, and Jihads appearing In A Neighbourhood Near You .. ?]
    That's exactly the philosophy groups like ANTIFA use when they label people as NAZIS. I mean who wouldn't agree that it's okay to punch a NAZI? Well everyone says "yeah okay if you hit a NAZI they deserve it" once ANTIFA has people convinced of that, then they simply start labeling everyone they disagree with as a NAZI to justify their attacks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post

Everyone one has a right to express a cause or or opinion. That does not mean I need to agree.
    Also, I do not pay attention to signs posted on lawns or carried in a protest. Those people are fools.

That bottom LINE does disturb me, however, because it is known they are not at all peaceful or
    willing to accept opposite views - at all.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

19. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Everyone one has a right to express a cause or or opinion. That does not mean I need to agree.
    Also, I do not pay attention to signs posted on lawns or carried in a protest. Those people are fools.

That bottom LINE does disturb me, however, because it is known they are not at all peaceful or
    willing to accept opposite views - at all.
    I am 100% for individual rights, BUT all rights can and should be infringed on when they present a danger to the community at large, or the greater good as we've been talking about in another thread lately.

ISIS, the KKK, ANTIFA, these are all groups that exist to cause hatred and violence and there is no place for them even in a society that loves freedom like ours.

Ultimate freedom is borne out of safety, if you're not safe, you're not free, and groups like the ones I listed above absolutely are detrimental to our safety and thus our freedom.

21. Likes Elessar liked this post