Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Default Very Powerful Message

I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

2. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I hope he finds peace. I have to say though, I'm surprised he or anyone thought it would be a 'cakewalk.' My dad landed around 7am, they were told and knew it was going to be bad. As they waded in from their transport boats, they saw bodies, but way before that they saw the fire from the guns in the high positions of the Germans. It was LOUD. There were mines going off and shooting going on everywhere.

There was a reason that Eisenhower had written two possible outcome announcements. https://www.businessinsider.com/d-da...enhower-2012-6

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

4. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I hope he finds peace. I have to say though, I'm surprised he or anyone thought it would be a 'cakewalk.' My dad landed around 7am, they were told and knew it was going to be bad. As they waded in from their transport boats, they saw bodies, but way before that they saw the fire from the guns in the high positions of the Germans. It was LOUD. There were mines going off and shooting going on everywhere.

There was a reason that Eisenhower had written two possible outcome announcements. https://www.businessinsider.com/d-da...enhower-2012-6
    God bless your Dad, and bless God for watching over him and helping him live through it.

The Greatest Generation, they were some brave damn people.

Yeah they misjudged the tide, and many of landing craft got hung up on a reef and couldn't make it to shore, so the troops had to jump out into the water and wade to shore. Many drowned, but the others were like sitting ducks, shooting fish in a barrel... just terrible planning.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 05-25-2019 at 08:40 AM.