Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Stay at Marriott in NJ

What would you do in such a situation?

So I went to NJ to visit some family for a BBQ over the weekend and stayed a night at the Sheraton Hotel. Right all across from one another is the Courtyard Marriot, Hilton Garden Inn and the Sheraton. All 3 are Starwood properties owned by Marriott, of which I'm a longtime rewards member. I've stayed at the Marriott's in just that location, no less than 40x over the years, and that's a low estimate. I also make sure I try and hit one of their properties whenever traveling as well. They can surely look me up and see my history throughout their useless rewards program, of which never did a dang thing for me, not even a penny.

Anyway, so I normally check in early and turn the AC on and then go to my sister's house, I waited to check in late. I get to room 722 and I open the door to a heat wave! It was cooler in the hallway than in the room. I went to turn the AC on and lower it, but it WAS on and set to 65. I triple checked. I then went to the front desk to see if I could change rooms, but they sent a tech up instead. He opened the panel to the AC and flipped a switch off and on, simply resetting the unit, barely tests for 3 seconds and says it's fixed. It wasn't. It was 77 degrees in the room and 45 mins after he left it was 78 in the room!!

I politely explained again and this time they swapped rooms for me. I get to room 1125 and walk in, cooler but not a lot better. The temp was at 74 and the AC on, but never went lower all night. I sleep VERY warm, so I woke at like 2am soaking wet and had to flip the pillow and all that jazz.

So this morning. Sunday morning no less. At 6:30am no less. I thought a plane hit the building above me!! Nope, it was construction starting for the day!!! Yes, construction, at 6:30 in the morn on a Sunday. WTF? It was so loud there was no way I was going back to sleep, so I bailed at 7am.

All I ever ask for is AC and quiet. Hell, even keep the damn bed and I'll sleep on the floor. I never complain, I just want those 2 things, my peace, and then I'm gone.

But I spent the evening all kinds of hot and trying to fix crap, then finally fall asleep, wake-up sweating & then woken for good on a Sun morning - after paying $161 plus taxes!!!! (side note, a HUGE Chinese group there, all their card-room-keys lined up at the front desk and their names on them waiting - showing they all paid $79 for their rooms. I know they get a group rate, but I felt ripped off anyway!)

So I sent in a long, detailed but very friendly message along to them, simply explaining what I just did here. I don't expect them to do a damn thing, maybe a free breakfast.

But I got an initial reply....

Hello James,

I am sorry your stay at Sheraton Edison was not the Marriott experience you deserve.

I shared the details you provided with the executive team at the hotel. They will take action and respond to you soon. I ask that you allow us three to five business days to resolve this issue.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I think you hit the nail on the head, indirectly. The issue is 'getting what you pay for'. I'm glad you wrote them. I had a similar issue in Verona...I called them and talked to them before i wrote my review -

My review followed by their reply:

· The location is spot-on - just about 1 minute walk from Juliet. Essentially, when you walk out from where the Juliet statue is, turn right. Take the next left and it's just up that alley. Entering the two-room suite I was shocked. Beautiful place - the rooms are decorated and set-up perfectly. Beautiful choices in textures, linens, and design. The exposed original ceilings are beautiful. The rooms are quiet and comfortable. Nicole met us after some struggle (my fault) finding the location. Nicole is personable, kind, willing-to-help. Nicole epitomizes "Hospitality as a profession" - cant say enough good things about her. This trip had us in Milan for two nights and Verona for one. Hindsight being what it is, we should have skipped Milan and stayed at this property (with one adjustment, see "What I didn't like" section). Shopping surrounds this property. Restaurants surround this property. I kind of want to buy this property and keep it as my vacation home in Verona. Some of that is because Verona is just neater than Milan, and some of that is because of this property. If the AC thing were fixed I would think this may be my favourite hotel in my three years living and traveling within Europe.

· The above-the-door Air Conditioning blows out with less force perhaps than a AA-battery-powered hand-held plastic fan. More than about 5 feet from the AC unit there was no sensation of feeling anything cool. The unit kept the room a few degrees cooler than outside, except nothing more. Before this review I emailed the property about my discomfort and their reply was, and I am paraphrasing, 'The AC unit works as it should. Sorry you had to sleep on the bathroom floor with the cold-shower running in an attempt to get relief'. I believe they feel awful I had a terrible night trying to sleep. I do. I also believe the AC unit works as it should - except the AC unit will not chill the room and if the weather is really warm I believe there should be desk-top or other Fans available. A new, stronger-blowing fan might fix things. To see if it's just ME who is all jacked up, and lord knows i have my issues, I asked the property to seat someone on the bed, with the AC on high and have them sit there for hours after a very hot day of the room baking in the sun and tell me if they can feel the AC breeze at all. I haven't heard back on that request. I share some blame - No, I did not attempt to contact the staff in the early hours (My issue lasted between about midnight and 0500a) because I felt awful bugging our WONDERFUL host, Nicole. Yep - partly my fault. I paid for the room I should have called them at midnight asking them if we could have fans - two good room fans would have solved the issue. But because I was too agreeable (thanks Jordan B Peterson), I didn't call them in the middle of the night. My kids in the adjacent room and my companion were able to sleep - my son said he was awake until after 2-3am because his room was too warm. My daughter is a chick and weird - she used a blanket to sleep under. Sometimes I wonder if she's not mine. j/k - she's my kid.

Dear guest,
    Many thanks for your review, we really appreciate the fact that you've been honest in every single word. Overall, we appreciate it because you gave us the chance to improve our service by knowing what was wrong. We're glad that Nicole welcomed you in the way you wanted to and we're very happy that you've liked the way Residenza Bonifacio is. Rating 10 out of 10 our service, position, staff, cleanliness, price-quality relationship makes us very happy and proud of our work. For what concerns the AC, as we discussed by email, again: we do apologize for what you've experienced. As comfort for us a priority, even if we managed to fix them, a couple of hours ago we decided to completely replace both of them. We hope to see you back to Residenza Bonifacio to enjoy your stay with definitely higher comfort standards. Best regards,Fabio - RB

I had no refund, resolution, or restoration, but I appreciated that they changed the AC units.

I hope it goes smoothly for you.

“… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

3. Likes jimnyc, Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Honestly, Darin? I think a lot of hotels may somehow "limit" what customers can do at certain times of the year. I'm confident that the electric bills for a 12 story hotel is huge!!!

BUT, I think I more than paid for a nights worth of AC use, whether in the dead of summer or in the middle of winter. I'm PAYING for THEIR services.

I wish I read your AA AC comment before I messaged them, that would have been a great one to toss at them, and not far from the truth. While I was able to feel "air" hit me from about 5 feet away, you instantly would think "is that the AC or the heat coming out?"

And like you, I felt bad coming to the "hosts" with a complaint, when they were very nice to me. And yeah, I could have walked down there soaking wet at 2am.... not sure why I sometimes feel awkward about complaining when you pay good money to stay at such places.

There ARE alternatives for me, and quite a few that are cheaper. But I have been loyal, and used to using the same things. But if they give me a canned response, then next time it's Hyatt!!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

5. Thanks darin thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Honestly, Darin? I think a lot of hotels may somehow "limit" what customers can do at certain times of the year. I'm confident that the electric bills for a 12 story hotel is huge!!!

BUT, I think I more than paid for a nights worth of AC use, whether in the dead of summer or in the middle of winter. I'm PAYING for THEIR services.

I wish I read your AA AC comment before I messaged them, that would have been a great one to toss at them, and not far from the truth. While I was able to feel "air" hit me from about 5 feet away, you instantly would think "is that the AC or the heat coming out?"

And like you, I felt bad coming to the "hosts" with a complaint, when they were very nice to me. And yeah, I could have walked down there soaking wet at 2am.... not sure why I sometimes feel awkward about complaining when you pay good money to stay at such places.

There ARE alternatives for me, and quite a few that are cheaper. But I have been loyal, and used to using the same things. But if they give me a canned response, then next time it's Hyatt!!
    keep us posted on the outcome. But I can sympathize with the agony of feeling way too warm and trying to sleep. I cant understand how people lived in the south before AC
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

7. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I think one should ALWAYS let a business know if the service they're providing is sub par, but do it, initially, in a polite manner, and escalate if you get the bush off or run around.

But trying to get a perk or refund from these places is like trying to pull teeth. I don't think they do that because they couldn't afford to. So many people complain that if they did hand out perks or refunds, they'd go broke. They'll make all nicey, nice replies, but that's the best you'll get.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    What would you do in such a situation?

So I went to NJ to visit some family for a BBQ over the weekend and stayed a night at the Sheraton Hotel. Right all across from one another is the Courtyard Marriot, Hilton Garden Inn and the Sheraton. All 3 are Starwood properties owned by Marriott, of which I'm a longtime rewards member. I've stayed at the Marriott's in just that location, no less than 40x over the years, and that's a low estimate. I also make sure I try and hit one of their properties whenever traveling as well. They can surely look me up and see my history throughout their useless rewards program, of which never did a dang thing for me, not even a penny.

Anyway, so I normally check in early and turn the AC on and then go to my sister's house, I waited to check in late. I get to room 722 and I open the door to a heat wave! It was cooler in the hallway than in the room. I went to turn the AC on and lower it, but it WAS on and set to 65. I triple checked. I then went to the front desk to see if I could change rooms, but they sent a tech up instead. He opened the panel to the AC and flipped a switch off and on, simply resetting the unit, barely tests for 3 seconds and says it's fixed. It wasn't. It was 77 degrees in the room and 45 mins after he left it was 78 in the room!!

I politely explained again and this time they swapped rooms for me. I get to room 1125 and walk in, cooler but not a lot better. The temp was at 74 and the AC on, but never went lower all night. I sleep VERY warm, so I woke at like 2am soaking wet and had to flip the pillow and all that jazz.

So this morning. Sunday morning no less. At 6:30am no less. I thought a plane hit the building above me!! Nope, it was construction starting for the day!!! Yes, construction, at 6:30 in the morn on a Sunday. WTF? It was so loud there was no way I was going back to sleep, so I bailed at 7am.

All I ever ask for is AC and quiet. Hell, even keep the damn bed and I'll sleep on the floor. I never complain, I just want those 2 things, my peace, and then I'm gone.

But I spent the evening all kinds of hot and trying to fix crap, then finally fall asleep, wake-up sweating & then woken for good on a Sun morning - after paying $161 plus taxes!!!! (side note, a HUGE Chinese group there, all their card-room-keys lined up at the front desk and their names on them waiting - showing they all paid $79 for their rooms. I know they get a group rate, but I felt ripped off anyway!)

So I sent in a long, detailed but very friendly message along to them, simply explaining what I just did here. I don't expect them to do a damn thing, maybe a free breakfast.

But I got an initial reply....

Hello James,
    Jim, I'm like you ... sleep hot. I keep bedroom at home around 65-66. Recently I traveled to Texas and stayed in a Marriott partner hotel. Same issue. I believe they set the main temp so that none of the rooms go below a certain temp.

Good luck.

PS ... I always stay on 2nd flood and use a cart to get my stuff to room. Because a tornado came through shortly before I checked in power went out and elevators didn't work and then after I lugged everything to 2nd floor the key didn't work. They did bring cookies up with new key.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I HATE sleeping hot, but I am awful at asking for remedies. Just a wimp I guess.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    Jim, I'm like you ... sleep hot.
    [suggestive voice = on] I bet you DO........ (eyebrows poppin') (wink)

<3

12. Likes SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

So they never replied as I figured. And the worst part is all of the reviews on their own website for the Sheraton Edison - and many folks have very recently complained about AC not working. At least one on the very same night I found 2 rooms unacceptable in the AC department.

Anyway, gonna send a follow up, polite but firm email to a 'few' important folks at the hotel - before I email Bill Marriott. And don't think I wouldn't do that in a heartbeat!!! I already have this link as one way to message, and his email from another site of listed executives. -- https://www.linkedin.com/in/jwmarriottjr

Here is what I have written up. Personal details fudged. And sometimes fudging and nudging may get you a free room. Numbers and things changed a little to protect the innocent.

-----------------------

I stayed at the Marriott owned - Sheraton Hotel in Edison, NJ (Raritan Center) from June 1st to June the 2nd, and had to leave at 7am due to problems. That was after a night of barely any sleep and sweating, and of course no internet.

I have family in New Jersey and visit several times per year. There is this above Sheraton, and the Courtyard Marriott across the road in Edison. I've also stayed at the Renaissance Hotel in Woodbridge, NJ and the Fairfield Suites in Woodbridge, NJ. My records by name should show just how many times I have stayed at these hotels in the past 10 years. My estimate is approximately 30-40 times in the past 10 years alone, at a low estimate.

On this night, I was checked into room 722. As I entered I was hit by a heat wave. It was 77 degrees. I went to turn on the AC and found it on already but blowing hot air. I spoke with the front desk and they sent a technician to my room. He simply turned it off and back on, using the term "resetting" the unit and said it was fixed. 30 mins later it was 78 degrees in my room.

I spoke with the front desk again and was moved to room 1125. It was cooler in there but at 74 degrees, and again the air was on and set to 69 and wouldn't go lower. The temperature all night never went lower than that 74 degrees. I sleep very warm due to medications I take.

All I ever want, and why I always chose Marriott and paid more money, was a decent nights sleep, some quiet and definitely AC. I paid $161 this night plus taxes of course. For that money I sweat all night and woke at 2am in a wet sheet. Not much sleep after that.

I was then awoken at 6:40am due to construction on the 12th floor!! I never heard of construction on a Sunday, and certainly not that early. I spoke with the front desk and of course they were aware of the construction. I had left at this point since I was so warm and now all the noise.

Additionally, I could not use the internet at all. Each time I tried it told me it couldn't obtain an IP address, usually meaning overloaded and the servers aren't responding to pass out the IP addresses. Or that the DNS server simply has an issue. Attempts were made of course with several electronic devices.

I sent in a message that day after driving back home to New York. I received a rather quick response from (Christopher Sanders, Marriott Customer Care). His message to me: (135733221 is the case number it was assigned)
    ---
    Hello James,

I am sorry your stay at Sheraton Edison was not the Marriott experience you deserve.

I shared the details you provided with the executive team at the hotel. They will take action and respond to you soon. I ask that you allow us three to five business days to resolve this issue.

You can count on Marriott to improve your experience in the future.

Safe travels,

Christopher Sanders
    Marriott Customer Care
    ----

And my follow-up about the internet was replied to by (Sara Tell, Marriott Customer Care):
    ----
    Hello James!

I reviewed your message regarding the WIFI at the the Sheraton Edison.

I want to assure you that I have forwarded this information to the hotel. Thank you for the additional insight you have provided.

I appreciate your patience and will contact you soon.

Safe travels,

Sara Tell
    Marriott Customer Care
    ----

I have since heard back from no one.

As you are aware, we all have choices as to where we spend our money and choose to stay. I have been very loyal and have always stayed at Marriott. I am starting to think that this may change going forward. My sleeping experience was absolutely horrible, and now it appears my initial complaints are perhaps falling on deaf ears. I can't imagine it should take long to read a message and get back to a loyal customer about a horrid experience they had at your hotel. But here we are.

While the folks at the hotel were fabulous to me, and very understanding, the young ladies also couldn't fix my AC nor were they responsible. Nor was it their fault for allowing construction at 6:30am on a Sunday morning. In the face of all of that, the employees that I encountered were all very professional and extremely polite. My complaint is certainly not about any employees at Marriott.

(I am now looking through reviews on the Sheraton Edison website, and see a LOT of reviews about AC not working at the same time or just prior to my visit. This lends more credibility to the fact that the AC wasn't working anywhere near as it should have been. And there it appears the same thing, "we will pass it along" and thank you, which in my opinion is non-helpful and belittling to customers.

Sincerely,

James BillyBob Sweatguy
    10 Crazy Road
    Crazytown, NY 00001
    914-666-1234

14. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

The only affordable nation-wide hotel chain I have trusted for years is Best Western. Reservations are quick
    and if you have special needs (crippled, require oxygen, etc), they will adjust to assist.

If there is a room complaint, they will move you.

I cannot sleep in 70 degree temps, either. I want 60 or 58.
    Otherwise I sweat like a pig.!

The worst one I stayed in recently was when I went to my son's University graduation
    in Oakland CA. It was a Motel 6 near the Oakland Coliseum and Oakland Int. Airport.
    It was closest to the urban campus and the venue the ceremony was to be held.

The room had 1 electrical jack, so one had a choice of an alarm clock or laptop. WiFi was marginal,
    unable to keep a connection. There was no clock provided. Luckily, after traveling across the continent
    and up and down both ocean coasts, I always pack an extension cord! I gave that place are rippingly shitty review.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!