Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Fractured my damn arm

So Nikoh ran way last night. We got her back within 15 minutes but the damage was done.

Now typing this with just my right hand has a cast from my wrist beyond my elbow.

I ran across the street after her as i was afraid of losing her. Across the street is a grassy field part of the apartment complex that starts there. When you get to the other side you go down a small embankment about 10-12 feet or so. And it had rained, so my ass went out from under me. By instinct I caught mt fall with left hand/wrist/arm... it felt like it snapped in half, and I also had my head hit and bounce pretty hard off the ground. Not a pretty sight to see a 50yr old chasing his dog and falling squarely on his ass. The pain was beyond incredible and still is.

I think I may have had a concussion as i later got a terrible headache and threw up. And my arm still hurt worse. So off to urgent care a bit ago as the pain became too unbearable. 4 xrays later and apparently 2 small fractures. This seems and feels like a real cast but the doc said to immediately see the orthopedic doctor elsewhere for full real cast. And he gave me nothing for the pain but i also chickened out in asking, didn't want to come off as drug seeker. and now i suffer.

He gave me copies of the xrays, the temp cast/splint to holdover and out the door. Wife is at work and i cant drive with one arm. place was about 2 minutes from home but took me like 10 driving with one arm and was feeling a bit unsafe. now how the hell i get relief? how do i shower? couldnt sleep from pain.

i hate me right now, what a dumbass i am!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    So Nikoh ran way last night. We got her back within 15 minutes but the damage was done.

Now typing this with just my right hand has a cast from my wrist beyond my elbow.

I ran across the street after her as i was afraid of losing her. Across the street is a grassy field part of the apartment complex that starts there. When you get to the other side you go down a small embankment about 10-12 feet or so. And it had rained, so my ass went out from under me. By instinct I caught mt fall with left hand/wrist/arm... it felt like it snapped in half, and I also had my head hit and bounce pretty hard off the ground. Not a pretty sight to see a 50yr old chasing his dog and falling squarely on his ass. The pain was beyond incredible and still is.

I think I may have had a concussion as i later got a terrible headache and threw up. And my arm still hurt worse. So off to urgent care a bit ago as the pain became too unbearable. 4 xrays later and apparently 2 small fractures. This seems and feels like a real cast but the doc said to immediately see the orthopedic doctor elsewhere for full real cast. And he gave me nothing for the pain but i also chickened out in asking, didn't want to come off as drug seeker. and now i suffer.

He gave me copies of the xrays, the temp cast/splint to holdover and out the door. Wife is at work and i cant drive with one arm. place was about 2 minutes from home but took me like 10 driving with one arm and was feeling a bit unsafe. now how the hell i get relief? how do i shower? couldnt sleep from pain.

I'm sorry. That sounds horrible.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Until you get to an ortho, pop some Tylenol, keep the arm elevated, and put an ice bag inside your elbow.

To shower, cover it with a plastic bag sealed with medical or athletic tape.

Been there, done that with a broken hand and a broken thumb.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I'm sorry. That sounds horrible.
    It really is. I'm no wuss and initially didn't even want medical care. But the pain got THAT bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Until you get to an ortho, pop some Tylenol, keep the arm elevated, and put an ice bag inside your elbow.

To shower, cover it with a plastic bag sealed with medical or athletic tape.

Been there, done that with a broken hand and a broken thumb.
    I have tons of regular meds, but also a leftover bottle of 800mg ibuprofen i just found. Waiting on wife's ok before I swallow a dozen of them.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Here i am in all my misery. Didn't even call ortho yet, too much pain. You can see it in my eyes, and notice that it hurts so bad that its making even my face sweat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Sorry Jim!
    I once broke my arm from just below shoulder to elbow in a “spiral” break. I knew immediately because it felt like my arm was completely disconnected from me. I had surgery the next morning, and it was a rough night before since I cannot handle pain meds at all. I will just throw up as soon as I feel them, even via IV.

I would take baths with the arm out of the water for now.
    I’m actually more concerned about your head injury.

My friend had a Husky who regularly ran away. I don’t know if it’s a breed thing.

Hope you get pain relief soon.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Dang... that all sounds horrible. Yeah I'm with Abbey, if that headache doesn't go away, I think I'd go to urgent care and tell them you hit your head real bad. I recently had a friend die, I think I mentioned this, on his Harley trike. Some dumbass farmer was going to beat him across the highway with his tractor and wagon and didn't, and he hit the wagon. He'd be alive today had he been wearing a helmet. He banged up a couple things but actually pretty minor, but he hit his head, no helmet, and died from swelling of the brain. So it's no joke, and you really can't gauge it by yourself.

I get 60 .5mg oxycodone a month. I've read much about the subject of addiction, and that isn't even enough to become addicted, but I'm damn glad the VA gives me that. It's the only thing they've ever given me that put a dent in my pain. I know it makes some people sick, Abbey, and some people just hate the way it makes them feel, my sister, but I love it. It's like Curly Bill in the movie Tombstone when he comes walking out of the opium den and says... "I feel.... capitol" ... I'd ask for something stronger than Tylenol III or Ibuprofen for pain.

Take care of yourself, man.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 06-03-2019 at 05:09 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

It really is. I'm no wuss and initially didn't even want medical care. But the pain got THAT bad.

I have tons of regular meds, but also a leftover bottle of 800mg ibuprofen i just found. Waiting on wife's ok before I swallow a dozen of them.
    A dozen of them may be far too much, unless that was sarcasm!

I had 250mg Vicodin for two knee operations and dental surgery. It did not even phase me or take the
    edge off the pain, but Tylenol III did.

PS...try the elevation and ice bag. That really helps.
    Last edited by Elessar; 06-03-2019 at 05:55 PM.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Sorry to hear of your injury my friend. Having myself once had a similar injury long ago, I know that
    the pain can be quite intense, agonizing and worrisome. Yet one must be careful not to let using the pain killers become an addiction.
    As that is the greater danger of this type of injury. One that must be known and adequately guarded against my friend.
    God bless and heal and protect you.....
    Robert
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

I'm REALLY trying hard ... REALLY . Putz
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I'm REALLY trying hard ... REALLY . Putz

Ahhh, go ahead, I deserve it with this one for not thinking while running, but I would have run through traffic to get her back! Love my doggies.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Losing the use of an arm SUCKS right down to the simplest crap. Shaving. I know you aren't a fan of that anyway, but imagine if you shaved your head too? Getting your balance. Ask Kath. Not sure where your arm is broken, but when it's your shoulder and you can't lift your arm?

Prepare for impact with the ground
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Losing the use of an arm SUCKS right down to the simplest crap. Shaving. I know you aren't a fan of that anyway, but imagine if you shaved your head too? Getting your balance. Ask Kath. Not sure where your arm is broken, but when it's your shoulder and you can't lift your arm?

Prepare for impact with the ground
    I got a great electric razor that I'm gonna have to use, but it's not as good as a razor of course, but it'll do.

And yeah, I thought just me, I keep losing balance here and there, going up/down stairs... and keep dropping things, only little things thankfully.

I fell coming in from outside like 2 days ago and came about an inch from cracking my forehead open! Luckily instinct brought my right arm forward this time, and I didn't break it!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

I got a great electric razor that I'm gonna have to use, but it's not as good as a razor of course, but it'll do.

And yeah, I thought just me, I keep losing balance here and there, going up/down stairs... and keep dropping things, only little things thankfully.

I fell coming in from outside like 2 days ago and came about an inch from cracking my forehead open! Luckily instinct brought my right arm forward this time, and I didn't break it!!
    Things you don't figure out until later:

I lost my balance and fell shoulder-first into the corner of a brick pillar on the front porch. It was when I first got out of the hospital so the 205 lbs of padding was replaced by 155 soaking wet of skin and bones. Bones with no padding hurt when they hit bricks. I couldn't use my left arm forever it seemed. I mean even raise it.

Once i got to rehabbing it and all the swelling had gone away I had a broken collar bone and torn muscle. I basically forced it back into working condition lifting weights and forcing it to keep up with my other shoulder. When it first happened, I couldn't even operate a wash rag properly,

Of course, I blame the whole thing on bad karma from @Kathianne. Never had a problem until she decided to blow out her shoulder