Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Fractured my damn arm

So Nikoh ran way last night. We got her back within 15 minutes but the damage was done.

Now typing this with just my right hand has a cast from my wrist beyond my elbow.

I ran across the street after her as i was afraid of losing her. Across the street is a grassy field part of the apartment complex that starts there. When you get to the other side you go down a small embankment about 10-12 feet or so. And it had rained, so my ass went out from under me. By instinct I caught mt fall with left hand/wrist/arm... it felt like it snapped in half, and I also had my head hit and bounce pretty hard off the ground. Not a pretty sight to see a 50yr old chasing his dog and falling squarely on his ass. The pain was beyond incredible and still is.

I think I may have had a concussion as i later got a terrible headache and threw up. And my arm still hurt worse. So off to urgent care a bit ago as the pain became too unbearable. 4 xrays later and apparently 2 small fractures. This seems and feels like a real cast but the doc said to immediately see the orthopedic doctor elsewhere for full real cast. And he gave me nothing for the pain but i also chickened out in asking, didn't want to come off as drug seeker. and now i suffer.

He gave me copies of the xrays, the temp cast/splint to holdover and out the door. Wife is at work and i cant drive with one arm. place was about 2 minutes from home but took me like 10 driving with one arm and was feeling a bit unsafe. now how the hell i get relief? how do i shower? couldnt sleep from pain.

i hate me right now, what a dumbass i am!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Likes Elessar liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    So Nikoh ran way last night. We got her back within 15 minutes but the damage was done.

Now typing this with just my right hand has a cast from my wrist beyond my elbow.

I ran across the street after her as i was afraid of losing her. Across the street is a grassy field part of the apartment complex that starts there. When you get to the other side you go down a small embankment about 10-12 feet or so. And it had rained, so my ass went out from under me. By instinct I caught mt fall with left hand/wrist/arm... it felt like it snapped in half, and I also had my head hit and bounce pretty hard off the ground. Not a pretty sight to see a 50yr old chasing his dog and falling squarely on his ass. The pain was beyond incredible and still is.

I think I may have had a concussion as i later got a terrible headache and threw up. And my arm still hurt worse. So off to urgent care a bit ago as the pain became too unbearable. 4 xrays later and apparently 2 small fractures. This seems and feels like a real cast but the doc said to immediately see the orthopedic doctor elsewhere for full real cast. And he gave me nothing for the pain but i also chickened out in asking, didn't want to come off as drug seeker. and now i suffer.

He gave me copies of the xrays, the temp cast/splint to holdover and out the door. Wife is at work and i cant drive with one arm. place was about 2 minutes from home but took me like 10 driving with one arm and was feeling a bit unsafe. now how the hell i get relief? how do i shower? couldnt sleep from pain.

i hate me right now, what a dumbass i am!

I'm sorry. That sounds horrible.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

4. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Until you get to an ortho, pop some Tylenol, keep the arm elevated, and put an ice bag inside your elbow.

To shower, cover it with a plastic bag sealed with medical or athletic tape.

Been there, done that with a broken hand and a broken thumb.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

6. Thanks SassyLady thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I'm sorry. That sounds horrible.
    It really is. I'm no wuss and initially didn't even want medical care. But the pain got THAT bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Until you get to an ortho, pop some Tylenol, keep the arm elevated, and put an ice bag inside your elbow.

To shower, cover it with a plastic bag sealed with medical or athletic tape.

Been there, done that with a broken hand and a broken thumb.
    I have tons of regular meds, but also a leftover bottle of 800mg ibuprofen i just found. Waiting on wife's ok before I swallow a dozen of them.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Here i am in all my misery. Didn't even call ortho yet, too much pain. You can see it in my eyes, and notice that it hurts so bad that its making even my face sweat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Sorry Jim!
    I once broke my arm from just below shoulder to elbow in a “spiral” break. I knew immediately because it felt like my arm was completely disconnected from me. I had surgery the next morning, and it was a rough night before since I cannot handle pain meds at all. I will just throw up as soon as I feel them, even via IV.

I would take baths with the arm out of the water for now.
    I’m actually more concerned about your head injury.

My friend had a Husky who regularly ran away. I don’t know if it’s a breed thing.

Hope you get pain relief soon.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

10. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Dang... that all sounds horrible. Yeah I'm with Abbey, if that headache doesn't go away, I think I'd go to urgent care and tell them you hit your head real bad. I recently had a friend die, I think I mentioned this, on his Harley trike. Some dumbass farmer was going to beat him across the highway with his tractor and wagon and didn't, and he hit the wagon. He'd be alive today had he been wearing a helmet. He banged up a couple things but actually pretty minor, but he hit his head, no helmet, and died from swelling of the brain. So it's no joke, and you really can't gauge it by yourself.

I get 60 .5mg oxycodone a month. I've read much about the subject of addiction, and that isn't even enough to become addicted, but I'm damn glad the VA gives me that. It's the only thing they've ever given me that put a dent in my pain. I know it makes some people sick, Abbey, and some people just hate the way it makes them feel, my sister, but I love it. It's like Curly Bill in the movie Tombstone when he comes walking out of the opium den and says... "I feel.... capitol" ... I'd ask for something stronger than Tylenol III or Ibuprofen for pain.

Take care of yourself, man.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 06-03-2019 at 05:09 PM.

12. Likes Abbey Marie, jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Dang... that all sounds horrible. Yeah I'm with Abbey, if that headache doesn't go away, I think I'd go to urgent care and tell them you hit your head real bad. I recently had a friend die, I think I mentioned this, on his Harley trike. Some dumbass farmer was going to beat him across the highway with his tractor and wagon and didn't, and he hit the wagon. He'd be alive today had he been wearing a helmet. He banged up a couple things but actually pretty minor, but he hit his head, no helmet, and died from swelling of the brain. So it's no joke, and you really can't gauge it by yourself.

I get 60 .5mg oxycodone a month. I've read much about the subject of addiction, and that isn't even enough to become addicted, but I'm damn glad the VA gives me that. It's the only thing they've ever given me that put a dent in my pain. I know it makes some people sick, Abbey, and some people just hate the way it makes them feel, my sister, but I love it. It's like Curly Bill in the movie Tombstone when he comes walking out of the opium den and says... "I feel.... capitol" ... I'd ask for something stronger than Tylenol III or Ibuprofen for pain.

Take care of yourself, man.
    Yeah, I also don’t like the way it makes my head feel all fuzzy and weird. Same reason I don’t like VR I guess. I like dead straight reality too much. Except when I don’t, and then there’s always some wine or a Manhattan, lol.

-Abbey

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

geezus Jim.... Can I send you a get-well package from here? Candy? Chocolate? whatever?
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

15. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Yeah, I also don’t like the way it makes my head feel all fuzzy and weird. Same reason I don’t like VR I guess. I like dead straight reality too much. Except when I don’t, and then there’s always some wine or a Manhattan, lol.
    Odd it makes your head feel fuzzy and weird. There's really nothing psychotropic in it. But, I can understand how the physical effects on someone could make their brain react to their body. Oxycodone has never made my head feel different, just my body. In it's purest form that I get now, just a tiny little white oxycodone pill, no acetaminophen like in Percocet or Hydrocodones, I call it my "pill cocaine," because aside from working great on pain, it makes me feel all full of energy, almost euphoric. I go like crazy getting stuff done when I take it. That's why I stay away from taking it too late in the afternoon, it'll keep me awake come bedtime. I can't sleep on it.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 06-03-2019 at 05:55 PM.

17. Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    It really is. I'm no wuss and initially didn't even want medical care. But the pain got THAT bad.

I have tons of regular meds, but also a leftover bottle of 800mg ibuprofen i just found. Waiting on wife's ok before I swallow a dozen of them.
    A dozen of them may be far too much, unless that was sarcasm!

I had 250mg Vicodin for two knee operations and dental surgery. It did not even phase me or take the
    edge off the pain, but Tylenol III did.

PS...try the elevation and ice bag. That really helps.
    Last edited by Elessar; 06-03-2019 at 05:55 PM.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

19. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darin View Post
    geezus Jim.... Can I send you a get-well package from here? Candy? Chocolate? whatever?
    Can I get one of those without falling down and hurting myself, Darin?
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

21. Likes Abbey Marie, Kathianne, darin, NT'sGirl liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darin View Post
    Aww that’s sweet, D.

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Very sorry to learn of all this, Jim. If nothing else, you could certainly do without the pain involved.

Happens to the best of us, though ...

I went through my own experience of an arm fracture, around 3 decades ago, and it was entirely my fault. Rushing to get a train, I ran across a road, not caring that a bus was bearing down on me. It hit me (we're talking double-decker London bus) ... knocked me down, & was unconscious for around 5 minutes. Luckily for me, it was at a bus station, so traffic was easily stopped.

Anyway, I woke up, was taken to hospital, and was told I'd fractured my left arm in six places, the worst of them being my elbow, where the joint had been crushed. So ... all this took seven weeks to heal before the arm could be used again, with a metal pin taking the place of much of the elbow's bone mass ... attached to a metal rod running down almost the length of the arm, all inserted internally.

The complete recovery process took just under a year, when all the hardware was surgically removed. I recovered almost all of the joint's original mobility, though I couldn't completely straighten my arm (and physiotherapy was needed to rebuild muscle strength, and to compensate for damaged muscle fibre). I never have been able to, since.

Interestingly .. I've also a small patch of my face where sensation in it has never recovered ... an area the size of a pea, sensation-dead. Though to look at me, you'd be hard-pressed to discern any abnormality (ugly features notwithstanding ...).

... All 'jolly fun', eh ! I was lucky, as I escaped my experience almost pain-free throughout. Shows that you can never know what surprises life may give you, though, from one day's end to the next.

Anyway, you'll recover. It'll all seem like a minor blip in your life, eventually (as mine did). 'Chin up', as they say in my part of the world. Best wishes.
    Last edited by Drummond; 06-03-2019 at 11:04 PM.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

24. Likes Elessar, High_Plains_Drifter, jimnyc liked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    Can I get one of those without falling down and hurting myself, Darin?
    Yes. Absolutely. Send your address
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.