Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Default For D-Day Survivor, Perhaps Last Trip to Omaha Beach

For D-Day Survivor, Perhaps Last Trip to Omaha Beach

12 Jun 2019
    The Associated Press | By Allen G. Breed
    COLLEVILLE-SUR-MER, France (AP) — Wherever he goes, Ray Lambert wears his purple cap with the words "D-Day Survivor" embroidered in gold. And wherever he goes, he is celebrated.

The handshakes and selfie requests begin the moment he arrives at the gate at Raleigh-Durham International Airport. He is on his way to Normandy to mark the moment 75 years ago when he earned the right to wear that cap, to join what will likely be the last great reunion of heroes of the liberation of Europe.

He is, at 98, a celebrity traveler.

Capt. Mark Paul asks him to come to the check-in desk, then takes the microphone in hand: "Mr. Lambert was with the 1st Infantry Division at Omaha Beach on D-Day," he says. "We're really honored to have him on our flight out to Paris today. So if you could give him a big hand, we'd really appreciate it."

The crowd at the gate stands and gives Lambert a long ovation.

Crewmembers pose for a photo with him. He's handed a miniature flag.

"God bless you," purser Gena Poulos says, clutching his hand.

In June 1944, the Seven Lakes, North Carolina, man was a medic with 2nd Battalion, 16th Infantry Regiment, part of the Army's 1st Division — the "Big Red One." For many years, Lambert would not talk of the horrors he saw and experienced. But now he feels it is his sacred duty to share his story.

Over the next week, he will do just that. He also will be feted by the president of the United States, kissed by women from all over the world, embraced as a brother by current-day soldiers. And he will relive the glory and the nightmare of his heroic moment.

"I did what I was called to do," he writes in "Every Man A Hero," his first book, published weeks before the anniversary. "As a combat medic, my job was to save people, and to lead others who did the same. I was proud of that job and remain so. But I was always an ordinary man, not one who liked being at the head of a parade ...

"My job now is to remember, not for my sake, but for the sake of others."

Though Lambert does not want for money — he was a successful businessman after the war — he and Darrell Simpkins, Lambert's neighbor, friend and personal physician, have chosen to fly coach. But the flight crew will have none of it, upgrading Lambert to first class.

A Delta attendant wheels him onto the plane. "I hope this trip over is a whole lot better than the previous one," the man says.

"Well, it certainly will be," Lambert says with a chuckle. "MUCH better."

Before take-off, there is another announcement about their special guest — and another round of applause.

It is an eight-hour flight. But between the constant well-wishing and anticipation, Lambert gets barely 20 minutes of sleep.

___

June 4 — D-Day Minus Two:

The classroom at the Ecole Publique, in the ancient stone town of Nonant, is festooned with the flags of the Allied powers. On the wall beside the door is a photo of Lambert in uniform, his Army garrison cap cocked at a rakish angle, a thin mustache on his upper lip.

Lambert is accompanied, as always, by his host and best friend, Christophe Coquel. Lambert met the former French Army tank commander and lieutenant colonel in the Gendarmerie 15 years ago, when Coquel served as an informal interpreter during the 60th anniversary commemoration.

In all his many visits to France, Lambert has never picked up more than a smattering of the language. So Coquel would act as go-between with the children.

A child asks about his strongest memories of the war. Lambert tells of disobeying orders to rescue two men from a burning tank, just before it exploded, and of going out into a minefield to retrieve a man who had been injured — an action for which Gen. Omar Bradley himself would award Lambert the second of his Silver Stars.

He tells of how, on D-Day, when the landing craft ramp dropped off Omaha, he was almost immediately hit in the right arm, and of plunging as deep into the water as he could to avoid machine gun fire.

The children ask: What did they eat? Did it hurt when you were wounded? Were you afraid of dying?

"When you're in battle, you are not thinking of death so much," Lambert tells the children. "Our belief was that we were the good guys, fighting to destroy evil. ... This country at that time was governed by evil. And our job was to come here and fight for your country and get rid of that evil."

Another child asks if Lambert had nightmares about Normandy.

"When I go to look at the beaches at Omaha, I remember all my friends that were killed there. And when I look at the Channel and the water is rough, I, it seems at times that I can hear voices. But that's just in my mind, of course."

At program's end, the children swarm the front table. They present him with a box of chocolates and a tin of cookies stamped with a D-Day photo and the words, "Thanks Guys." One girl ties a purple-and-orange friendship bracelet on his right wrist.

Principal Ribera Cecile plants "les bisous" on his flushed cheeks. He exclaims, "I get two kisses in France!"

"It was a great honor," Cecile says. "And I hope the children will remember this for the rest of their lives."

___

June 5 — D-Day Minus One:

When Lambert arrives at the Big Red One Museum above Omaha Beach, a wiry man with a black polo shirt and punk haircut rushes to greet him — Pierre-Louis Gosselin, the museum's founder.

The weather the day before had been cold and windy. Lambert had spent nearly three hours on the beach as the succession of news crews waited for their windows to film. That evening, back at Coquel's home, Lambert was racked with a fit of vomiting.

But Lambert felt duty-bound to honor the young man who had done so much to honor the memory of his beloved 1st Division.

The small museum in Colleville-sur-Mer is the result of Gosselin's 30-year obsession. The collection contains things as small as a soldier's letter home to the twisted iron "hedgehogs" with which the Germans had laced the coast in their vain attempt to thwart an Allied landing.

"It has gotten now to a time in our lives when most of the World War II guys of my age are passing away and going on," Lambert tells the crowd assembled at the museum. "And in the future, it will be very important that we have representation here in France."

Lambert solemnly drapes a medal around Gosselin's neck, and the crowd applauds. The acolyte embraces his idol, then kisses him on the cheek.

"Now, he is an honorary member of the 1st Division," Lambert tells the crowd. "And so you have to stand up to now to the qualifications of the 1st Division. Duty first and all those kinds of things, and conduct yourself accordingly, as a good soldier would."

Asked what this honor, and Lambert, mean to him, Gosselin searches for the right words.

"My life," he says. "I dedicated my life to the Big Red 1."

Lambert looks around the museum. Just inside the door is a large piece of rusted, pockmarked metal. It is the ramp of a Higgins landing craft — just like the one that nearly killed him 75 years ago.

During the battle, Lambert had noticed a man struggling in the deep water. He had become tangled in the barbed wire the Germans had submerged all along the beach.

Lambert waded out to him and made several dives before finally freeing the man. As they headed toward shore, a landing craft had floated up behind them; it dropped its ramp, pushing Lambert and the other man to the bottom.

Pinned beneath the metal, Lambert prayed to God to "give me a chance to save the one more man."

Suddenly, the ramp lifted, and the two men bobbed to the surface. Lambert got the man to the beach, gave some orders to his men, then passed out from pain and loss of blood.

He awoke later on a ship back to England. He would later learn that the ramp had crushed two of his vertebrae.

As Coquel drives the group away, the car passes a large, haunting photo of the D-Day assault.

Across the bottom are the words, "Les vrais heroes ne meurent jamais!" — "The real heroes never die."

___

June 6 — D-Day:

Lambert is seated in the front row of the dais beside Pvt. Russell Pickett, the last known surviving member of Company A of the 116th Infantry Regiment of the Virginia National Guard — the so-called "Bedford Boys." Despite the sunshine, it is cold, and Lambert spreads a purple blanket over his and Pickett's laps.

He is unprepared when, halfway through his speech, President Donald Trump speaks the words, "Staff Sgt. Ray Lambert."

"Ray was only 23, but he had already earned three Purple Hearts and two Silver Stars for fighting in North Africa and Sicily," Trump tells the hushed crowd. That was before the medic from Alabama landed in the first wave at Omaha Beach.

"They came to the sector, right here below us," Trump continues. "'Easy Red' it was called. Again and again, Ray ran back into the water. He dragged out one man after another. He was shot through the arm. His leg was ripped open by shrapnel. His back was broken. He nearly drowned."

Then, he turns his head toward the risers behind him.

"Ray," he says. "The free world salutes you."

As waves of applause wash over him, Lambert doffs his purple cap and waves it at the crowd.

After the ceremony, as a friend wheels him past the ruler-straight rows of gleaming white crosses and Stars of David in the American Military Cemetery overlooking Omaha Lambert marvels that the president of the United States — his commander in chief — should single him out for such praise.

"I'm nothing," he says. "I'm just a soldier."

___

June 7 — D-Day Plus One:

Once again, Lambert is on Omaha Beach. Once again, he is beside "my rock."

That morning, 75 years ago, as bullets zinged and mortars sent up showers of sand and water, Lambert scanned the beach for something, anything behind which he could safely treat the wounded. Suddenly, he spotted it — a lump of leftover German concrete, about 8 feet wide and 4 feet high.

"It was my salvation," he says.

The rough lump has come to be known as "Ray's Rock." Last year, a plaque was attached with the names of the combat medics of the 16th Regiment.

Mayor Patrick Thomines has asked Lambert to come for a wreath-laying ceremony. It is another cold, wet day, and Lambert's hands are turning blue.

He is about to leave when a large group of soldiers in fatigues approaches. They are members of the 12th Regim........................

more at link...

Imagine the immense and true courage this man showed while not firing a weapon..
    No way could I have done that, as my desire to being firing at the enemy would not allow me to do that.
    It is like, there is something in my blood that demands with undeniable force that I fight.--Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

2. Thanks Kathianne, Elessar, Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    For D-Day Survivor, Perhaps Last Trip to Omaha Beach

12 Jun 2019
    The Associated Press | By Allen G. Breed
    COLLEVILLE-SUR-MER, France (AP) — Wherever he goes, Ray Lambert wears his purple cap with the words "D-Day Survivor" embroidered in gold. And wherever he goes, he is celebrated.

The handshakes and selfie requests begin the moment he arrives at the gate at Raleigh-Durham International Airport. He is on his way to Normandy to mark the moment 75 years ago when he earned the right to wear that cap, to join what will likely be the last great reunion of heroes of the liberation of Europe.

He is, at 98, a celebrity traveler.

Capt. Mark Paul asks him to come to the check-in desk, then takes the microphone in hand: "Mr. Lambert was with the 1st Infantry Division at Omaha Beach on D-Day," he says. "We're really honored to have him on our flight out to Paris today. So if you could give him a big hand, we'd really appreciate it."

The crowd at the gate stands and gives Lambert a long ovation.

Crewmembers pose for a photo with him. He's handed a miniature flag.

"God bless you," purser Gena Poulos says, clutching his hand.

In June 1944, the Seven Lakes, North Carolina, man was a medic with 2nd Battalion, 16th Infantry Regiment, part of the Army's 1st Division — the "Big Red One." For many years, Lambert would not talk of the horrors he saw and experienced. But now he feels it is his sacred duty to share his story.

Over the next week, he will do just that. He also will be feted by the president of the United States, kissed by women from all over the world, embraced as a brother by current-day soldiers. And he will relive the glory and the nightmare of his heroic moment.

"I did what I was called to do," he writes in "Every Man A Hero," his first book, published weeks before the anniversary. "As a combat medic, my job was to save people, and to lead others who did the same. I was proud of that job and remain so. But I was always an ordinary man, not one who liked being at the head of a parade ...

"My job now is to remember, not for my sake, but for the sake of others."

Though Lambert does not want for money — he was a successful businessman after the war — he and Darrell Simpkins, Lambert's neighbor, friend and personal physician, have chosen to fly coach. But the flight crew will have none of it, upgrading Lambert to first class.

A Delta attendant wheels him onto the plane. "I hope this trip over is a whole lot better than the previous one," the man says.

"Well, it certainly will be," Lambert says with a chuckle. "MUCH better."

Before take-off, there is another announcement about their special guest — and another round of applause.

It is an eight-hour flight. But between the constant well-wishing and anticipation, Lambert gets barely 20 minutes of sleep.

___

June 4 — D-Day Minus Two:

The classroom at the Ecole Publique, in the ancient stone town of Nonant, is festooned with the flags of the Allied powers. On the wall beside the door is a photo of Lambert in uniform, his Army garrison cap cocked at a rakish angle, a thin mustache on his upper lip.

Lambert is accompanied, as always, by his host and best friend, Christophe Coquel. Lambert met the former French Army tank commander and lieutenant colonel in the Gendarmerie 15 years ago, when Coquel served as an informal interpreter during the 60th anniversary commemoration.

In all his many visits to France, Lambert has never picked up more than a smattering of the language. So Coquel would act as go-between with the children.

A child asks about his strongest memories of the war. Lambert tells of disobeying orders to rescue two men from a burning tank, just before it exploded, and of going out into a minefield to retrieve a man who had been injured — an action for which Gen. Omar Bradley himself would award Lambert the second of his Silver Stars.

He tells of how, on D-Day, when the landing craft ramp dropped off Omaha, he was almost immediately hit in the right arm, and of plunging as deep into the water as he could to avoid machine gun fire.

The children ask: What did they eat? Did it hurt when you were wounded? Were you afraid of dying?

"When you're in battle, you are not thinking of death so much," Lambert tells the children. "Our belief was that we were the good guys, fighting to destroy evil. ... This country at that time was governed by evil. And our job was to come here and fight for your country and get rid of that evil."

Another child asks if Lambert had nightmares about Normandy.

"When I go to look at the beaches at Omaha, I remember all my friends that were killed there. And when I look at the Channel and the water is rough, I, it seems at times that I can hear voices. But that's just in my mind, of course."

At program's end, the children swarm the front table. They present him with a box of chocolates and a tin of cookies stamped with a D-Day photo and the words, "Thanks Guys." One girl ties a purple-and-orange friendship bracelet on his right wrist.

Principal Ribera Cecile plants "les bisous" on his flushed cheeks. He exclaims, "I get two kisses in France!"

"It was a great honor," Cecile says. "And I hope the children will remember this for the rest of their lives."

___

June 5 — D-Day Minus One:

When Lambert arrives at the Big Red One Museum above Omaha Beach, a wiry man with a black polo shirt and punk haircut rushes to greet him — Pierre-Louis Gosselin, the museum's founder.

The weather the day before had been cold and windy. Lambert had spent nearly three hours on the beach as the succession of news crews waited for their windows to film. That evening, back at Coquel's home, Lambert was racked with a fit of vomiting.

But Lambert felt duty-bound to honor the young man who had done so much to honor the memory of his beloved 1st Division.

The small museum in Colleville-sur-Mer is the result of Gosselin's 30-year obsession. The collection contains things as small as a soldier's letter home to the twisted iron "hedgehogs" with which the Germans had laced the coast in their vain attempt to thwart an Allied landing.

"It has gotten now to a time in our lives when most of the World War II guys of my age are passing away and going on," Lambert tells the crowd assembled at the museum. "And in the future, it will be very important that we have representation here in France."

Lambert solemnly drapes a medal around Gosselin's neck, and the crowd applauds. The acolyte embraces his idol, then kisses him on the cheek.

"Now, he is an honorary member of the 1st Division," Lambert tells the crowd. "And so you have to stand up to now to the qualifications of the 1st Division. Duty first and all those kinds of things, and conduct yourself accordingly, as a good soldier would."

Asked what this honor, and Lambert, mean to him, Gosselin searches for the right words.

"My life," he says. "I dedicated my life to the Big Red 1."

Lambert looks around the museum. Just inside the door is a large piece of rusted, pockmarked metal. It is the ramp of a Higgins landing craft — just like the one that nearly killed him 75 years ago.

During the battle, Lambert had noticed a man struggling in the deep water. He had become tangled in the barbed wire the Germans had submerged all along the beach.

Lambert waded out to him and made several dives before finally freeing the man. As they headed toward shore, a landing craft had floated up behind them; it dropped its ramp, pushing Lambert and the other man to the bottom.

Pinned beneath the metal, Lambert prayed to God to "give me a chance to save the one more man."

Suddenly, the ramp lifted, and the two men bobbed to the surface. Lambert got the man to the beach, gave some orders to his men, then passed out from pain and loss of blood.

He awoke later on a ship back to England. He would later learn that the ramp had crushed two of his vertebrae.

As Coquel drives the group away, the car passes a large, haunting photo of the D-Day assault.

Across the bottom are the words, "Les vrais heroes ne meurent jamais!" — "The real heroes never die."

___

June 6 — D-Day:

Lambert is seated in the front row of the dais beside Pvt. Russell Pickett, the last known surviving member of Company A of the 116th Infantry Regiment of the Virginia National Guard — the so-called "Bedford Boys." Despite the sunshine, it is cold, and Lambert spreads a purple blanket over his and Pickett's laps.

He is unprepared when, halfway through his speech, President Donald Trump speaks the words, "Staff Sgt. Ray Lambert."

"Ray was only 23, but he had already earned three Purple Hearts and two Silver Stars for fighting in North Africa and Sicily," Trump tells the hushed crowd. That was before the medic from Alabama landed in the first wave at Omaha Beach.

"They came to the sector, right here below us," Trump continues. "'Easy Red' it was called. Again and again, Ray ran back into the water. He dragged out one man after another. He was shot through the arm. His leg was ripped open by shrapnel. His back was broken. He nearly drowned."

Then, he turns his head toward the risers behind him.

"Ray," he says. "The free world salutes you."

As waves of applause wash over him, Lambert doffs his purple cap and waves it at the crowd.

After the ceremony, as a friend wheels him past the ruler-straight rows of gleaming white crosses and Stars of David in the American Military Cemetery overlooking Omaha Lambert marvels that the president of the United States — his commander in chief — should single him out for such praise.

"I'm nothing," he says. "I'm just a soldier."

___

June 7 — D-Day Plus One:

Once again, Lambert is on Omaha Beach. Once again, he is beside "my rock."

That morning, 75 years ago, as bullets zinged and mortars sent up showers of sand and water, Lambert scanned the beach for something, anything behind which he could safely treat the wounded. Suddenly, he spotted it — a lump of leftover German concrete, about 8 feet wide and 4 feet high.

"It was my salvation," he says.

The rough lump has come to be known as "Ray's Rock." Last year, a plaque was attached with the names of the combat medics of the 16th Regiment.

Mayor Patrick Thomines has asked Lambert to come for a wreath-laying ceremony. It is another cold, wet day, and Lambert's hands are turning blue.

He is about to leave when a large group of soldiers in fatigues approaches. They are members of the 12th Regim........................

more at link...

Imagine the immense and true courage this man showed while not firing a weapon..
    No way could I have done that, as my desire to being firing at the enemy would not allow me to do that.
    It is like, there is something in my blood that demands with undeniable force that I fight.--Tyr

Thanks for that, Tyr. "The Big Red 1" was my dad's division, so this was a double cool story for me. If you ever get up to Chicago area and have an interest in any battles the Big Red 1 was involved with, visit Cantigny in Winfield. It's a museum founded by Col. McCormick on his estate. Besides the museum and probably the best video I've ever seen on D-day, the grounds are gorgeous, they have a decent restaurant or you can picnic. There's also a golf course that has hosted many tournaments. https://cantigny.org/

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

My grandfather was in the Navy, PacFleet to be exact, and a few years before he passed we were fortunate enough to take him to Pearl Harbor. He cried, just as you see these vets cry. WWII was a different animal. I can't imagine ever returning to Iraq and crying. Just not the same emotional thing I guess.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    My grandfather was in the Navy, PacFleet to be exact, and a few years before he passed we were fortunate enough to take him to Pearl Harbor. He cried, just as you see these vets cry. WWII was a different animal. I can't imagine ever returning to Iraq and crying. Just not the same emotional thing I guess.
    Big Red 1.... my battle division in Vietnam. I can fully understand why WWII vets cry at these things. When I went to the Wall in DC, I cried too. Too many friends lost. I will say that WWII was indeed a different animal. I cannot imagine being in battle for 4 years straight as some of those vets were. A year at a time was bad enough.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

6. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Never my experience, but I respect the hell out of all of you that did.
    To no end!
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

8. Thanks CSM thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    Big Red 1.... my battle division in Vietnam. I can fully understand why WWII vets cry at these things. When I went to the Wall in DC, I cried too. Too many friends lost. I will say that WWII was indeed a different animal. I cannot imagine being in battle for 4 years straight as some of those vets were. A year at a time was bad enough.
    If you ever visit IL, check out Cantigny. The section on Vietnam is one to be proud of.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

10. Thanks CSM thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    Oh, I can certainly understand why they cry. I was simply saying that it is different than the not quite a full year I spent in Iraq , that's for sure. I can't imagine having those emotions should I return. And I think one big reason for that is that at least when I was there (Desert Storm) we didn't really have any losses to speak of. I can certainly imagine the emotion would be different for guys who were there on D Day , I mean think of how many friends the average D Day survivor lost in just one day.

12. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Oh, I can certainly understand why they cry. I was simply saying that it is different than the not quite a full year I spent in Iraq , that's for sure. I can't imagine having those emotions should I return. And I think one big reason for that is that at least when I was there (Desert Storm) we didn't really have any losses to speak of. I can certainly imagine the emotion would be different for guys who were there on D Day , I mean think of how many friends the average D Day survivor lost in just one day.
    :cry: My dad was lucky, he never forgot. To the best of his knowledge he was one of 3 in his group that came home. He spent 5 or 6 months in hospitals in England and TX.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    :cry: My dad was lucky, he never forgot. To the best of his knowledge he was one of 3 in his group that came home. He spent 5 or 6 months in hospitals in England and TX.
    I don't even know anything more than that about your dad and don't need to. He was a hero and you should be proud.

My grandfather joined the Navy and in some ways drew a lucky straw be being assigned to a fire/rescue ship so he didn't actually fight in any of the major battles, though his ship was attacked by Japanese bombers on several occasions , but what the aftermath was in some ways worse than the actual battles. His ship was the first rescue ship to arrive at Midway and he never forgot that scene. He told me the water was red 5 miles from where the main fighting took place because of all the blood, and that he had never seen so many sharks nor so many tore up bodies. They were pulling sailors out of the water as fast they could, both allied, and Japanese and just trying their best to save lives .

He hated the Japanese until the day he died.

15. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I don't even know anything more than that about your dad and don't need to. He was a hero and you should be proud.

My grandfather joined the Navy and in some ways drew a lucky straw be being assigned to a fire/rescue ship so he didn't actually fight in any of the major battles, though his ship was attacked by Japanese bombers on several occasions , but what the aftermath was in some ways worse than the actual battles. His ship was the first rescue ship to arrive at Midway and he never forgot that scene. He told me the water was red 5 miles from where the main fighting took place because of all the blood, and that he had never seen so many sharks nor so many tore up bodies. They were pulling sailors out of the water as fast they could, both allied, and Japanese and just trying their best to save lives .

He hated the Japanese until the day he died.
    Dad always said that the Pacific was the most gruesome of the two fronts. Dad got a purple heart, but also had to stay 5 months past when he should have gotten out, simply because he was in charge of keeping the 'points' of those overseas that were waiting to be sent home. He was in TX, still recuperating when he got the assignment. Since he was safe, they kept extending his discharge date. LOL! He was not a happy camper.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Dad always said that the Pacific was the most gruesome of the two fronts. Dad got a purple heart, but also had to stay 5 months past when he should have gotten out, simply because he was in charge of keeping the 'points' of those overseas that were waiting to be sent home. He was in TX, still recuperating when he got the assignment. Since he was safe, they kept extending his discharge date. LOL! He was not a happy camper.
    My grandfather joined and served for four years. His whole family moved to CA from Arkansas the day after Pearl Harbor and he and his 3 brothers all joined. They each picked a different branch.

Amazingly all four brothers made it home alive. One of them was supposed to be at D Day but broke his leg in a training exercise in England 2 days before. He felt guilty about that the rest of his life.

Truly the greatest generation. I can't even imagine if we tried to draft today' group of 18-20 year olds to send them to war. Bung of man bun wearing faggots would have a conniption.

18. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post