Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    That's been my take from the get go. Russia's proxie. Russia too has been 'challenging' in the air around Alaska and on the seas. Not exploding mines or shooting, but still provocative.
    Russia wants to tip the balance of power in the ME. The crap Erdogan has given us is from Putin sweet-talking him. Turey thinks it no longer has use for us. That's how Turks are.

Russia already a monopoly on European oil. Imagine him getting a land pipeline from Iran to Moscow. If that falls in line I doubt it would take a lot of convincing the pro-Shia gov't in Iraq to get on board and they have a land pipeline from Iran to Syria. And I'm not making this up. It's in one of the threads in the ME forum.

He could economically strangle Europe. Something the USSR was unable to do.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by icansayit View Post
    Let's find out what the Men, and Women who are aboard all of those U.S. Ships are thinking, and praying for before we all go off HALF COCKED.

Speaking from experience. NOBODY, and I do mean...NOBODY wants a war. War destroys things, kills people, and really...NEVER ENDS.

We have been in Afghanistan for 19 years. Why would we want to repeat that with a crazy, unhinged nation like IRAN, who, if you recall...also made Russia turn around, and go home.

Crazy people in this World Love War. Let them fight each other, and destroy their sicknesses face to face.
    I am certainly not "for war". During my day I was the one getting shot at.

Same coin different side: if it's time to saddle up and do what Uncle Sugar's paying you for, you get it done.

I don't think a land war is an option. Not for us. We can't occupy Iran. We just don't have the people. I can see a proxie US/Russia war with Iran and Saudi Arabia as stooges.

On another note, I've long thought the US should clear the Gulf of Iran.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

In my minds eye, it is a shame our Battleships are all displays.

They were a huge deterrent in 4 wars. The sight of those 16 inch guns struck fear
    into opponents.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I found this very interesting, @CSM thoughts?

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/mi...showdown-63442
    Interesting article.

As has been stated, I don't believe anyone wants a war with Iran. There is no doubt, however, that Iran is a major component of the complex Middle East situation. Gunny has summed up a lot of my feelings about it. I will say that the article (intentionally or not) does not mention Russia or China, both of whom have intense interest in propping up Iran. Iran may be economically vulnerable right now but make no mistake, there are many Middle Eastern countries that are inextricably tied to Iran as well. One thing is certain...Iran MUST NOT be allowed to develop, deploy or, heaven forbid), use nuclear warheads of ANY type. We know full well that they have chemical and biological weapons. I have no doubt they would use them if pressed.

IF it does come to war, I am of the same mind as Gunny... level the place with stand off weapons (no nukes!) and warn them if they don't straighten up we will level whatever rubble is left. No way would I send in ground troops or try to instill "democracy" in that "shithole".....
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

5. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post

They were a huge deterrent in 4 wars. The sight of those 16 inch guns struck fear
    into opponents.
    Gun boat diplomacy does have it's place. Unfortunately, those old battleships are cannon fodder for current technology. I would love to see a modern version of a real battleship that can deal with the current technological threats and dish out a wholesome heap of naval gunfire a la 16" HE/AP. That kind of thing makes some big smoking holes in the terrain. With modern fire control and fire direction systems, the accuracy and lethality would be some real "Shock and Awe" that any receiving population would "appreciate".
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

7. Thanks Elessar, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    Gun boat diplomacy does have it's place. Unfortunately, those old battleships are cannon fodder for current technology. I would love to see a modern version of a real battleship that can deal with the current technological threats and dish out a wholesome heap of naval gunfire a la 16" HE/AP. That kind of thing makes some big smoking holes in the terrain. With modern fire control and fire direction systems, the accuracy and lethality would be some real "Shock and Awe" that any receiving population would "appreciate".
    I totally agree with your viewpoint. A modern platform with those huge deck guns would make
    just about anyone think twice about screwing around.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

9. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes CSM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post

into opponents.
    That only works if the "enemy" believes she may fire shots in anger. I mean a US Naval Carrier Wing pulling into within 200 miles of your shoreline is a lot of firepower and no sane person would risk unleashing it if they thought there were a chance of that happening . Unfortunately , the people running Iran either don't believe we'll use our firepower against them, or worse are insane and don't care if we do.