Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Fathers Day dinner

So I saw an ad and didn't click on it, but it prompted me to read up a bit anyway.

The subject was Wagyu Beef, and how great it was but also how expensive it was. There is American Wagyu and Japanese Wagyu - and then there is the rarest steak on the planet - the Olive Wagyu, which comes from a little area in Japan with very rare cows. I'm sure most heard of the famous "Kobe Beef" from Japan, which is Wagyu.

So I started at a site checking out all the different options. They only sold American Wagyu. One steak will START at around $99 for the cheaper cuts. Yikes! A sample package will set you back $529! Wagyu hot dogs are $12 for a tiny pack.

Share a strip loin is $539 and a whole ribeye is $649!!

Got me wondering about the Japanese Wagyu!

Japanese Wagyu (Kobe) is $290 for a strip steak. (these aren't restaurant prices!). A whole tenderloin - $1,475

Damn! What about the Olive Wagyu? Apparently you couldn't even get the in the USA until last year sometime. Shoot, looking around and the pricking at the rare restaurant is insane, but can't find it barely anywhere!

$1,200 at Costco but it's massive at least!!

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Oh, and needless to say I think, I'm not having any Wagyu for Fathers Day!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Oh, and needless to say I think, I'm not having any Wagyu for Fathers Day!

You are grilling for Father's Day, it's a tradition! LOL! Maybe a friend can lend you their picnic table?

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

4. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post

You are grilling for Father's Day, it's a tradition! LOL! Maybe a friend can lend you their picnic table?
    This was going to move me to the oven, but no longer. The best recipes for the Wagyu call for a quick searing, then into a pan in the oven at 350 10-20 mins, and wait for your desired temp.

Sharon made me a huge steak in Alaska that she cooked on the stovetop and it was one of the best steaks I ever had!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    This was going to move me to the oven, but no longer. The best recipes for the Wagyu call for a quick searing, then into a pan in the oven at 350 10-20 mins, and wait for your desired temp.

Sharon made me a huge steak in Alaska that she cooked on the stovetop and it was one of the best steaks I ever had!!

You buying a couple hundred dollar steaks?

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    You buying a couple hundred dollar steaks?
    I was hoping for like 3 of them, but I knew it would be higher, but no that much higher! Gotta save my pennies and maybe, just maybe, one day I can convince her to take me out to dinner where it can be had - as that way it also guarantees to come the way I like it, and I don't ruin a few hundred dollars!

8. Likes Kathianne liked this post