Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default New electric razor

For the "best" shave, I like to use my good brush, cream and regular razor. But there are times I don't wanna break out all the stuff and prepare it, or if I want a quick shave like the day after a fresh shave. Or if and when you break your arm, as it makes it a little harder to shave properly.

So I went to break out the electric razor I had used in the past. It's not even something I used before the regular stuff. Anyway, won't even power on or charge now.

So in comes the Panasonic Arc5 Electric Razor, Men's 5-Blade Cordless with Shave Sensor Technology and Wet/Dry Convenience

I've read a ton of reviews today on like 20 pages before deciding on this one. Most of the pages had either this one, or the Braun series 9. The other probably ranked #1 more times, but this one got #1 in a few too. This one also has a 4.5 star rating on Amazon and the Braun a 4.0. And considering the other was like $250, and this one $120, I chose this one.

What do you guys use, any that use electric razors? Man, I hope I made a good choice!!

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I pamper myself a bit by having my stylist give me an fashioned shave once a week, but in between if I need to shave I use an electric. Mine is a Norelco something or other.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    For the "best" shave, I like to use my good brush, cream and regular razor. But there are times I don't wanna break out all the stuff and prepare it, or if I want a quick shave like the day after a fresh shave. Or if and when you break your arm, as it makes it a little harder to shave properly.

So I went to break out the electric razor I had used in the past. It's not even something I used before the regular stuff. Anyway, won't even power on or charge now.

So in comes the Panasonic Arc5 Electric Razor, Men's 5-Blade Cordless with Shave Sensor Technology and Wet/Dry Convenience

I've read a ton of reviews today on like 20 pages before deciding on this one. Most of the pages had either this one, or the Braun series 9. The other probably ranked #1 more times, but this one got #1 in a few too. This one also has a 4.5 star rating on Amazon and the Braun a 4.0. And considering the other was like $250, and this one $120, I chose this one.

What do you guys use, any that use electric razors? Man, I hope I made a good choice!!

I've got a variety of razors, electric and blade-razors. It's a bit of a hobby of mine.

Electric razor of choice tends to be a Braun Series 7 ... I've 2 of them, one bought secondhand from eBay. Also got a couple of Philips rotary ones ('Norelco' is an American brand name for that company, by the way ... it's never used in the UK).

Right now, I'm using a safety razor .. a v old one, again bought from eBay ... one of those early 20th century Gillette ones ... a Gillette Senator, decades older than I am. The earlier ones, especially open comb types (the earliest design) shave comparably close to 3 or 5 modern bladed ones. Using Kai blades with it .. the result is great .. maybe the best combo I've come up with.

Also I'm toying with the idea of getting into cutthroat razor shaving ... prob months away, though. Should be 'fun' .....
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

5. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

BTW, Jim, you did make a good choice with that electric shaver. Has the most powerful motor of all of Panasonic's models. Ebay is a good source of replacement foils / cutters for it.

Another favourite of mine is an old model of Remington that goes back decades, and I'm not sure if it was ever available in the US ? It's a foil shaver called 'Remington Super Mesh'. The only models I've ever seen conform to the British voltage of 240v.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I tried electrics years ago, but I have naturally oily skin, so they just jammed up.

I stick with blades.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

8. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    I tried electrics years ago, but I have naturally oily skin, so they just jammed up.

I stick with blades.
    I basically do the same. Electric shaving is fine if you need to shave in a rush, or if you're in a mood to not care overly much about the quality of shave .. but if there's enough time to take care with your shave, blades are definitely better, in my view. Closer shaves, smoother finish, better for your face .. you get a better after-shave experience altogether.

Me, I've got naturally dry skin, and electric shaving usually makes it worse (rotary's better for that reason, less drying). Another reason to prefer a wet shave.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    I've got a variety of razors, electric and blade-razors. It's a bit of a hobby of mine.

Electric razor of choice tends to be a Braun Series 7 ... I've 2 of them, one bought secondhand from eBay. Also got a couple of Philips rotary ones ('Norelco' is an American brand name for that company, by the way ... it's never used in the UK).

Right now, I'm using a safety razor .. a v old one, again bought from eBay ... one of those early 20th century Gillette ones ... a Gillette Senator, decades older than I am. The earlier ones, especially open comb types (the earliest design) shave comparably close to 3 or 5 modern bladed ones. Using Kai blades with it .. the result is great .. maybe the best combo I've come up with.

Also I'm toying with the idea of getting into cutthroat razor shaving ... prob months away, though. Should be 'fun' .....
    Good post! Yup, in the States here it's now known as "Phillips Norelco" combined as one.

I had an old Braun series, one of the self cleaning suckers, but killed it after years of use and moved on.

Finally, I was told about "The art of shaving" which is a great site, and of course also have their own products. I got me an awesome brush from them made out of fine beaver hair. Also pre-shave oil, shaving cream & after shave, all from them. I bought a safety razor from them and then proceeded to nearly cut my entire chin off. Safety my ass! So I went back to my Gilette at the time, and now I just use Harry's razors. I found that, for me, the oil is the most important to an easy and smooth shave. Good shaving cream too helps. I thought of a straight razor as I know you can't get better - but this is me we're talking about, I don't need a weapon for my own neck!

Get my new one tomorrow, can't wait to try it out. The little things in life make me happy now.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

11. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I never shave. I just run a little beard trimmer around now and then. I do have a 'cammo' cordless Norelco. I believe I bought that to properly shave when my Dad passed away back in 2012. Haven't used it since, and out of curiosity from this thread I checked it. Deader'n a door nail. I'm going to see if it'll take a charge.

The only time I can remember shaving my mustache off in my life was for basic training, and I usually always have some kind of chin hair or a full beard. Full beard in the winter for sure.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 06-15-2019 at 03:29 PM.

13. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    I never shave. I just run a little beard trimmer around now and then. I do have a 'cammo' cordless Norelco. I believe I bought that to properly shave when my Dad passed away back in 2012. Haven't used it since, and out of curiosity from this thread I checked it. Deader'n a door nail. I'm going to see if it'll take a charge.

The only time I can remember shaving my mustache off in my life was for basic training, and I usually always have some kind of chin hair or a full beard. Full beard in the winter for sure.
    Some of the older Philips (Norelco, in American money) shavers don't have good batteries ... OK if used constantly, but if left uncharged for long periods, they don't hold a charge well afterwards, neither when it comes to properly recharging, or keeping whatever charge they do manage to hold. The 'Quadra' series of Philips rotaries were known for it. With yours, you might be lucky and it'll charge, but it's likely that the batteries won't stay charged for long.

I grew a beard just once, a couple of decades ago, while I was holidaying in Portugal. Decided I looked like a scruffy thug, so shaved it off again just before my flight back to Heathrow ... never regrown it since ....

15. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Good post! Yup, in the States here it's now known as "Phillips Norelco" combined as one.

I had an old Braun series, one of the self cleaning suckers, but killed it after years of use and moved on.

Finally, I was told about "The art of shaving" which is a great site, and of course also have their own products. I got me an awesome brush from them made out of fine beaver hair. Also pre-shave oil, shaving cream & after shave, all from them. I bought a safety razor from them and then proceeded to nearly cut my entire chin off. Safety my ass! So I went back to my Gilette at the time, and now I just use Harry's razors. I found that, for me, the oil is the most important to an easy and smooth shave. Good shaving cream too helps. I thought of a straight razor as I know you can't get better - but this is me we're talking about, I don't need a weapon for my own neck!

Get my new one tomorrow, can't wait to try it out. The little things in life make me happy now.
    I've become accustomed to avoiding multi-blade razors. A proper shave with a single blade, if the cream or soap is good enough (and if the razor is aggressive enough ... the Muhle R41 is the most aggressive one out there, v good for ripping your face off) ... and you can equal or even exceed the closeness of a 5-blade razor.

The Art of Shaving shaving soap ... tried it, years ago, & it's good quality. These days I alternate between a few brands. Van Yulay is really excellent, 'croap' or the Hercules hard soap. Or, Pacific Shaving's caffeinated shaving cream. Or, Soap Commander's soap ... reasonably good. Turning to the UK, Taylor of Old Bond Street, or Geo F Trumper, do great shaving creams ...
    Last edited by Drummond; 06-15-2019 at 05:35 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    Some of the older Philips (Norelco, in American money) shavers don't have good batteries ... OK if used constantly, but if left uncharged for long periods, they don't hold a charge well afterwards, neither when it comes to properly recharging, or keeping whatever charge they do manage to hold. The 'Quadra' series of Philips rotaries were known for it. With yours, you might be lucky and it'll charge, but it's likely that the batteries won't stay charged for long.

I grew a beard just once, a couple of decades ago, while I was holidaying in Portugal. Decided I looked like a scruffy thug, so shaved it off again just before my flight back to Heathrow ... never regrown it since ....
    Yeah this one says "Phillips Norelco" on it. I'm sure I bought it new when my Dad passed away so it's 7 years old now. Been charging since I posted last, just pulled the charging cord and tried it and it runs good. It took a charge. I'll let it charge overnight just for the heck of it.

I hate to shave. I hate to get my hair cut. Consequently I usually have longer than what's normally worn men's hair, down to the shoulders and then some right now, and I have a mustache, long chin beard and scruffy face... hell I don't care. I grew my hair for 8 years one time. It was very close to touching my belt. I mix in well when I'm among biker friends though...
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 06-15-2019 at 05:42 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Yeah this one says "Phillips Norelco" on it. I'm sure I bought it new when my Dad passed away so it's 7 years old now. Been charging since I posted last, just pulled the charging cord and tried it and it runs good. It took a charge. I'll let it charge overnight just for the heck of it.

I hate to shave. I hate to get my hair cut. Consequently I usually have longer than what's normally worn men's hair, and I have a mustache, long chin beard and scruffy face... hell I don't care. I grew my hair for 8 years one time. It was very close to touching my belt. I mix in well when I'm among biker friends though...
    In the olden days, Philips shavers used to be 'Philishave'. The older Philips Norelco ones from the US just went by the name 'Norelco'. They were always divisions of Philips, though. These days the brand name in America acknowledges the parent company's ownership of the brand (though as I said before, 'Norelco' was never used in the UK ... get a Norelco shaver here, and we'd know it originated in America).

Glad to learn that yours charges OK ... though I'm betting that if you left it alone for 2 weeks plus, the charge would start disappearing. Modern shaver batteries keep their charge far better than the older technology of battery did.

We're not alike when it comes to shaving .. I've always thought of it as a pleasure to do. Oh, well, to each their own !

19. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

So I used the new razor a few nights back just to clean up underneath the beard area on the neck. Then last night I first trimmed the beard with my trimmer and then I did a full shave with the new Arc 5, and VERY happy!

The Braun series 9 is about $300. I paid $120 for this sucker. Even the Braun 8 AND series 7 costs more.

Anyway, this was very very close to being as good as a razor shave! Of course you will never replicate that with electric but this by far is the best I ever got out of an electric razor.

It had no burning sensation as many others do to your skin. The entire head swivels like a ball. Left, right, up and down and rotates 360 degrees. All the hard to get to areas around the chin were quite easy to shave.

Now have to wait to see long term results and quality.

21. Likes Drummond liked this post