-Quinton Jackson (#7 Light Heavyweight)* vs. Marvin Eastman
    -Roger Huerta vs. John Halverson
    -Scott Smith vs. Patrick Cote

Preliminary Bouts [bout placement is subject to change]:
    -Ryoto Machida vs. Sam Hoger
    -Tyson Griffin vs. Frank Edgar
    -Jorge Rivera vs. Terry Martin
    -Dustin Hazelett vs. Diego Saraiva

Note: The fight between Georges St. Pierre and Matt Serra has been delayed because of a knee injury suffered by St. Pierre.

United States PPV suggested retail price: $39.95

* Based on MMAWeekly Rankings
    www.mmaweekly.com
    -----------------------------------------------
    Crocop and Rampage make their debut. Silva should dispose of Lutter pretty quickly but because of TUF it gives the illusion that Lutter will have a chance. Silva by KO in the 2nd. But Lutter's a nice guy so I'll be rooting for him to do well. Too bad Tyson Griffin won't be showcased on the main card, he's an underrated fighter. Same with Hoger v. Machida. Why they wouldn't show that is beyond me. Machida has wins over BJ Penn and Rich Franklin and is undefeated. That's retarded to not add him to the main event card. Smith v. Cote will probably be the best fight of the night. If Crocop and Rampage don't squash their opponents like Heath Herring failed to do, the UFC will be in some trouble. Crocop is the #2 heavyweight fighter in the world after Fedor and should get a title shot against Tim Sylvia rather quickly. He needs to get a first or early 2nd round KO with that left high kick. If Rampage squashes Eastman, he'll probably fight Chuck Liddell next. He needs to destroy Eastman as well.
    Last edited by dirt mcgirt; 02-02-2007 at 10:32 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Of course you know there are fans here. I dont think I will catch this one thought until after the fact so please send me a play by play of the events.. I have 2 finals next week and a big test. Please feel sorry for me now..
    " Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things" Republican Idiot said it, which one, is unclear at the moment.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is this on tonight? I NEVER pay for them though. I usually just wait for the dvd to come out.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I wanted so badly to see Ortiz vs. Lidell and was upset that I couldn't afford it. Luckily it was on youtube the following morning, in its entirety!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I wanted so badly to see Ortiz vs. Lidell and was upset that I couldn't afford it. Luckily it was on youtube the following morning, in its entirety!
    Really??? I will have to check tomorrow.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is always old news by the time we get to see it a week or two later but I watch as much UFC stuff as they can throw at me.Makes all other sport look like synchronised swimming.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I didnt get to see it live either, but I was so damn happy with the outcome..
    " Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things" Republican Idiot said it, which one, is unclear at the moment.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Unbelievable. Lutter didn't even make weight. The fight tonight is a non-title fight now.

UFC 67 WEIGH-IN
    The Ultimate Fighting Championship 67 weigh-ins are in the books and the big news out of Las Vegas is that Travis Lutter, who was set to challenge Anderson Silva for the middleweight title, missed weight. He originally weighed in at 187 pounds, 2 pounds over since title fights must weigh exactly to the division’s limit. Lutter later re-weighed and still missed weight by 1-1/2 pounds, so the fight has been changed to a 3-round non-title bout, leaving the UFC without a championship bout anywhere on the card.

UPDATE: In addition to the bout being stripped of title status, Lutter also had to give up a portion of his fight purse, a percentage to Anderson Silva and another portion due to a fine imposed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

Terry Martin also weighed in 2 pounds over, but he only had to cut 1 more pound as non-title bouts have a 1-pound weight allowance. Everyone else made weight.

Anderson Silva – 185
    Travis Lutter – 187
    (Lutter still missed weight and the fight will be changed to a 3-round non-title bout.)

Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic – 223
    Eddie Sanchez – 229

Quinton Jackson – 205
    Marvin Eastman – 203

John Halverson – 155
    Roger Huerta – 156
    (Huerta made weight due to 1-pound allowance)

Patrick Cote – 185
    Scott Smith – 185

Jorge Rivera – 185
    Terry Martin – 187
    (Martin later made weight)

Tyson Griffin – 156
    Frank Edgar – 154
    (Griffin made weight due to 1-pound allowance)

Sam Hoger – 206
    Ryoto “Lyoto” Machida – 204
    (Hoger made weight due to 1-pound allowance)

Dustin Hazelett – 156
    David Saraiva – 155
    (Hazelett made weight due to 1-pound allowance)
    www.mmaweekly.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hey dirt...have you gone to any MMA fights? I have been looking to go to one in but havent found any locally. I was looking for soemthing other than the UFC because of the long wait inbetween fights and the high costs. You know of any sites that have bouts listed?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Slayer View Post
    Of course you know there are fans here. I dont think I will catch this one thought until after the fact so please send me a play by play of the events.. I have 2 finals next week and a big test. Please feel sorry for me now..
    Come on sucka. You know I already know how much you like to see two sweaty guys rolls around on the floor. I was wondering about the others. As always, I'll hook you up.

The UFC fights almost immediately don't last long on youtube because of the copyright laws. The window to watching UFC fights is small when it comes to youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
    It is always old news by the time we get to see it a week or two later but I watch as much UFC stuff as they can throw at me.Makes all other sport look like synchronised swimming.
    The UFC is exploding but check out PRIDE FC if you can. It usually comes on Fox Sports or Comcast. The PRIDE heavyweights and lightweights are head and shoulders above the UFC's. The UFC just signed Crocop from PRIDE who was the #2 heavyweight in the world so they may be in position to close the gap. PRIDE's in a bit of financial trouble right now though. Crocop debuts tonight for the UFC and he's an incredible fighter. They call him cro cop because aside from being one of the top MMA fighters in the world, he hails from Coratia, was a commando for the national Croatian anti-terrorism unit and was also elected to parliament. The dude is no joke. His trademark move is a left high kick to the head. Watch how he dominated "The Axe Murderer" Wanderlei Silva in the PRIDE Grand Prix Tourney a couple of months ago:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/s...rocop-vs-silva

Quote Originally Posted by jackass View Post
    Hey dirt...have you gone to any MMA fights? I have been looking to go to one in but havent found any locally. I was looking for soemthing other than the UFC because of the long wait inbetween fights and the high costs. You know of any sites that have bouts listed?
    MMA fights are still banned in many States. Where do you live? I haven't seen any of the UFC's live. When we were stationed in Germany, I caught K-1 on Europsport all the time. I was never into PRIDE's ring but the fighters were better, their entrances are more dramatical, and the rounds are longer. I used to watch UFC when it first came out and saw Gracie beat the crap out of everyone.

Check out www.dailymotion.com for MMA videos. Some of the non-UFC superstar MMA fighters are Fedor Emelianenko, the Noguiera Brothers, Taka Gomi, Matt Lindland, Mark Hunt, Wanderlei Silva, Dan Henderson, Carlos Newton, Mauricio Rua, Ricardo Arona, Kaz Nakamura, Alistair Overeem, Josh Barnett, Fabricio Werdum, and Fedor's brother, Aleksander.

Fedor is pretty much the greatest fighter in the world right now and it's not even disputable. Here's a couple of Fedor videos to get you started:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/s..._zulu-vs-fedor
    http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/s...dor-vs-herring

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I live in SC now. I tried finding some in Va when I lived there. I know there are some in NJ (my home state) in AC but thats a long way to go to watch a fight. I was actually looking for a non-UFC fight, just thought it would be easier to go to.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jackass View Post
    I live in SC now. I tried finding some in Va when I lived there. I know there are some in NJ (my home state) in AC but thats a long way to go to watch a fight. I was actually looking for a non-UFC fight, just thought it would be easier to go to.
    I'm not familiar with SC. Here's an old article about MMA's status in the different States. It's old but I don't think much has changed. Chances are if you find any MMA fights in the South it's going to be underground, illegal, or non-sanctioned. New Jersey may be the closest for a sanctioned fight for you.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005
    Combat sport in the spotlight
    By Joseph Popiolkowski, Stateline.org Staff Writer

The rising popularity of mixed martial arts — also known by more brutish aliases such as “extreme fighting” — has states scrambling to regulate a sport termed a human chess match by supporters and sheer violence by critics.

Mixed martial arts features bouts between two trained athletes who use a combination of martial arts holds, chops and kicks, grappling, wrestling and boxing to garner a victory through knockout or submission. Fighters battle for three, five-minute rounds with championship bouts lasting for five, five-minute rounds.

Mixed martial arts has existed since the early 1990s but only since 1996 has it followed a set of unified rules, according to Tim Lueckenhoff, national president of the Association of Boxing Commissions (ABC) and an administrator with the Missouri Boxing Commission. “Before then, there were very few rules that protected the participants from serious injury,” he said.

Some states are harnessing the sport’s popularity to generate tax revenue, while virtually the same number have taken a "not in my backyard" stance.

Mixed martial arts is a legal, regulated sport in at least 19 states: Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Utah and Washington.

The top sanctioned mixed martial-arts events in Nevada, which allows and regulates the sport, have drawn more than 10,000 in paid attendance and gross sales that stretch well into seven figures, according to the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

“Mixed martial arts is one of the fastest-growing sports in the country,” said Lueckenhoff. “State and tribal commissions are racing to make sure they can regulate it, because it’s another revenue source for them.”

As of July 1, all mixed martial-arts shows in Georgia require approval by a state-licensed sanctioning authority, according to Tom Mishou, an administrator with the Georgia Boxing Commission.

The sport is not regulated in at least 21 states: California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. These states have banned mixed marital arts, have left regulation up to local communities or have taken no action.

The six states that do not have athletic commissions — Alabama, Alaska, Delaware, Minnesota, South Dakota and Wyoming — either allow local communities to make the call or defer to Nevada or New Jersey, the most respected regulatory commissions in the country. The athletic commissions in Maine, Maryland, Pennsylvania and Vermont didn't respond to inquiries about their policies.

To the dismay of mixed martial-arts supporters, some states have outlawed the sport as part of bans on the more grueling “Toughman” competitions, which pit novice fighters against each other in one-minute elimination barroom brawls for nominal prizes.

State liability, the fighters’ safety and the negative impact of violence on children are the main reasons boxing is the only regulated combat sport in Illinois, said state Rep. Angelo “Skip” Saviano. His 2004 law effectively outlaws Toughman slugfests.

Professional mixed martial arts were banned in Missouri in 1996 by legislation stemming from a 1995 fight in neighboring Kansas where a contender died and a chiropractor had been the ringside doctor. That fatality occurred in a Toughman contest, but legislators in the Show Me State lumped mixed martial arts into the ban.

“At that time MMA (mixed martial arts) was relatively new, and there was some confusion among the Legislature on the difference between MMA and Toughman,” said Lueckenhoff, who favors strictly regulated mixed martial arts but said states that allow Toughman risk everything Saviano fears.

The ABC’s membership is encouraged to disown Toughman and its imitators and most have, Lueckenhoff said. At least 24 states have come out with explicit bans on Toughman. However, promoters are known to skirt the bans by exploiting loopholes in statute language by claiming that they’re hosting amateur events or by holding them on sovereign tribal reservations.

New York won a permanent injunction against Adoreable Promotions, a major Toughman promoter, to prevent the organization from holding events in the state without first being sanctioned by the office, Hugo B. Spindola, general counsel for the New York State Athletic Commission, said in an email message.

“The problem with Toughman is these guys are coming in off the street and you don’t know anything about their background. You don’t know if they’ve been trained or picked up off a barstool somewhere,” Lueckenhoff said.

The media also has, by and large, failed to distinguish between Toughman and mixed martial arts. This has led to guilt by association and consistent publicity headaches for Nevada-based Zuffa, LLC, which owns the registered trademark for the term “ultimate fighting championship,” the premier brand and so-called “NFL” of mixed martial arts.

The Boston Herald was forced in early June to publish a correction after a series of articles wrongly implied an “ultimate fighting” event was at the center of a controversy that erupted over a denied permit in the Bay State.

The media isn’t doing its homework on this increasingly popular sport, and the general populace is still largely uneducated about it, said Zuffa’s president, Dana White.

“Every day that we come in to this office, we’re chasing people out there trying to use our ID," he said. “We’ve been out there working hard for the last four and a half years to wash away all the myths and misconceptions about UFC (ultimate fighting championship) and mixed martial arts.”

The solution is to advise the media and state athletic commissions on how UFC is making the sport as safe as it can be, White said. He emphasized that “ultimate fighting” follows a set of unified rules and complies fully with all state requirements including, but not limited to, pre-fight physicals, weigh-ins, weight classes and fighter background checks.

“We run toward regulation. This is a real sport, and it should be regulated. Anyone else who is putting on an event that isn’t safe and regulated isn’t part of the same sport I am,” White said.

The states that allow mixed martial arts can be proactive by hiring and training more referees and judges, White said. Zuffa has set up exhibitions for state regulators to view and judge for themselves. They’ll be at the ABC’s annual convention in late July.

The New Hampshire and North Dakota athletic commissions are both exploring the possibility of opening their states to mixed martial arts matches.

Saviano of Illinois said he has received overtures from Zuffa and, while he has reservations, would be open to a demonstration. “If they could prove it was a safe sport, a legitimate sport and came from some organized association we would be willing to take another look at it,” Saviano said.

Send your comments on this story to letters@stateline.org. Selected reader feedback will be posted in the Letters to the editor section.

Contact Joseph Popiolkowski at jpopiolkowski@stateline.org.
    http://www.stateline.org/live/ViewPa...ontentId=43941

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Crocop debuts at UFC 67

UFC 67 results:
    FULL RESULTS
    -Anderson Silva def. Travis Lutter by submission (strikes while in a triangle choke) at 2:11 of Round 2
    -Mirko Cro Cop def. Eddie Sanchez by TKO (referee stoppage due to strikes) at 4:33 of Round 1
    -Roger Huerta def. John Halverson by TKO at 0:19 of Round 1 [result may or may not be changed to no-contest at a later date due to knee on the ground]
    -Quinton Jackson def. Marvin Eastman by TKO (referee stoppage due to strikes) at 3:49 of Round 2
    -Patrick Cote def. Scott Smith by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
    -Terry Martin def. Jorge Rivera by KO at 0:14 of Round 1
    -Frank Edgar def. Tyson Griffin by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
    -Ryoto Machida def. Sam Hoger by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
    -Dustin Hazelett def. Diego Saraiva by Unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
    Last edited by dirt mcgirt; 02-04-2007 at 08:35 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 fights over in the first round? Must have been one hell of a night!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Dirt ....