Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Meanwhile, liberals run so many of the colleges with their never ending demands. They get mini silent and crying rooms, quiet spaces. Places free of righties. They get violent without repercussions. Get to ban conservative speakers or events. Taught intolerance and liberal ideology. They give out white supremacy and white privilege classes & that's just a few. They get offended when someone else breathes.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    A practice you agree with?
    Honestly, I think it's by far best to have students go to the best university their grades and achievement will take them the furthest. So in most cases, affirmative action undermines the students it's meant to help.

https://www.nationalaffairs.com/publ...rmative-action

The idea though, to have a more diverse body beyond the abilities level though, is well intentioned and is worth finding a path. However, the old saying about 'the road to . . .' If it were up to me, the Ivies would be well served by helping to place potential upperclassmen in a better suited university, mentoring through the first two years to make up some academic deficiencies these students carry with from the schools they'd attended and find a way to open enrollment with same scholarship offers in 2nd or 3rd year.

This case though isn't that. This is a qualified student, with a minority in thinking mindset that also would be a diversifying student. Something the universities need also. A handful of students that are not of the same cut, are not going to change the school, though exposure to differing schools of thought is purportedly what their business is. The disagreements, respectfully exchanged enlightens all. Respect on all sides helps all.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

3. Thanks STTAB thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Honestly, I think it's by far best to have students go to the best university their grades and achievement will take them the furthest. So in most cases, affirmative action undermines the students it's meant to help.

https://www.nationalaffairs.com/publ...rmative-action

The idea though, to have a more diverse body beyond the abilities level though, is well intentioned and is worth finding a path. However, the old saying about 'the road to . . .' If it were up to me, the Ivies would be well served by helping to place potential upperclassmen in a better suited university, mentoring through the first two years to make up some academic deficiencies these students carry with from the schools they'd attended and find a way to open enrollment with same scholarship offers in 2nd or 3rd year.

This case though isn't that. This is a qualified student, with a minority in thinking mindset that also would be a diversifying student. Something the universities need also. A handful of students that are not of the same cut, are not going to change the school, though exposure to differing schools of thought is purportedly what their business is. The disagreements, respectfully exchanged enlightens all. Respect on all sides helps all.

And that , of course, hits the nail on the head. Leftists want diversity in everything, except thought. Just a quick example of that is Joe Biden caving on the Hyde Amendment he didn't do that because he changed his mind, he did that because the hive told him his present thought was unacceptable.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

@Noir here's a school that has 'rethought' that whole 'protect against contrary thoughts.' It's really what an education is about:

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=13387

The University of Louisiana at Lafayette recently changed its campus free speech policy, preventing the school from regulating students who use speech protected by the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

It is not the school’s responsibility to “shield” people from “ideas and opinions they find unwelcome, disagreeable, or even deeply offensive,” according to the new policy, reported The Vermilion.

I'm proud to have my university be the founder of this free speech code:

https://www.thefire.org/cases/fire-l...ech-statement/

FIRE Launches Campaign in Support of University of Chicago Free Speech Statement

Category: Free Speech
    Schools: University of Chicago
    During September 2015, FIRE launched a national campaign asking colleges and universities to adopt the free speech policy statement produced by the Committee on Freedom of Expression at the University of Chicago. The statement guarantees “all members of the University community the broadest possible latitude to speak, write, listen, challenge, and learn,” and makes clear that “it is not the proper role of the University to attempt to shield individuals from ideas and opinions they find unwelcome, disagreeable, or even deeply offensive.”
    FIRE wrote hundreds of faculty members, students, and student journalists at institutions nationwide to build momentum in support of the Chicago statement.

Pledge Your Support for the Chicago Statement on Free Expression

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

6. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    @Noir here's a school that has 'rethought' that whole 'protect against contrary thoughts.' It's really what an education is about:

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=13387

I'm proud to have my university be the founder of this free speech code:

https://www.thefire.org/cases/fire-l...ech-statement/
    This is a good and wise move. Perhaps other institutions will jump on board.

Yet I do not see U.C. Berkeley joining in - too far left.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

8. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    Only an idiot wouldn't want their child to have a Harvard degree LOL they have their issues , but they are still Harvard.
    Then I'm an idiot. I would rather my child attend a more balanced institution.

My granddaughter was accepted to Stanford and Berkeley. Then she got pregnant and had to give up that dream and stay home and go to University of Arizona. Our whole family was thankful because we were horrified she had applied to such liberal institutions. We were afraid we would lose her forever. Even at UofA she's being radicalized but thankfully there's some balance from family influences.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

10. Thanks Kathianne, Elessar, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes Tyr-Ziu Saxnot liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    Then I'm an idiot. I would rather my child attend a more balanced institution.

My granddaughter was accepted to Stanford and Berkeley. Then she got pregnant and had to give up that dream and stay home and go to University of Arizona. Our whole family was thankful because we were horrified she had applied to such liberal institutions. We were afraid we would lose her forever. Even at UofA she's being radicalized but thankfully there's some balance from family influences.
    Which was my point when I made my statement. I would not want my son to go to Harvard.
    Character, morality and integrity trumps have their seal of approval, IMHO..
    Harvard may not be as liberal as some others are, but still it is far too liberal for my tastes.
    Then I guess you and I are both idiots then, huh? For placing values, integrity and character over that of financial gain by way of
    what Ivy League university that one hails from.. At least I am in with fine company-then... --Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

12. Thanks Kathianne, SassyLady thanked this post
    Likes SassyLady liked this post