Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Got hurt arm question for ya Kath!

You know my arm has a cast from mid-hand, partly around the thumb, and 3/4 of the way up my arm. I also confirmed when the final cast was put on that I am allowed to do whatever I can with the fingers available, but not to pick things up necessarily.

Anyway, things hurt BADLY. I know some is my own fault, but I'm wondering if the pain should still be like this?

I do have pain which feels like the top of my hand and the wrist area, and expected from typing and other little things I have done. But it hurts BADLY. And the forearm on top is where it seems to hurt as well. No swelling, no tingling, no loss of feeling or any of those things.

I mean, I wake in the middle of the night and barely move my arm and it hurts. I always have to find just the right position and angle to keep it in to keep it hurting the least. But there are times that my fingers are dangling as usual, but then for one reason or another they get extended into a normal position, straight out. And man, it hurts! Sometimes I literally stop, wince in pain or even move or drop a little because of the sudden pain and how bad it can be.

My wife would explain me as a wuss that can't deal with pain, and she's mostly right! But this one is legit, no exaggerating here. I was thinking in my head that it would be mostly pain free (as they implied originally), and that once it was removal time, that it would also be pain free and just need to be rehabbed some. But hell, it's being removed on July 5th and it often hurts as bad as the night I broke it.

This seem correct to you? Am I expecting too much ya think?
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    You know my arm has a cast from mid-hand, partly around the thumb, and 3/4 of the way up my arm. I also confirmed when the final cast was put on that I am allowed to do whatever I can with the fingers available, but not to pick things up necessarily.

Anyway, things hurt BADLY. I know some is my own fault, but I'm wondering if the pain should still be like this?

I do have pain which feels like the top of my hand and the wrist area, and expected from typing and other little things I have done. But it hurts BADLY. And the forearm on top is where it seems to hurt as well. No swelling, no tingling, no loss of feeling or any of those things.

I mean, I wake in the middle of the night and barely move my arm and it hurts. I always have to find just the right position and angle to keep it in to keep it hurting the least. But there are times that my fingers are dangling as usual, but then for one reason or another they get extended into a normal position, straight out. And man, it hurts! Sometimes I literally stop, wince in pain or even move or drop a little because of the sudden pain and how bad it can be.

My wife would explain me as a wuss that can't deal with pain, and she's mostly right! But this one is legit, no exaggerating here. I was thinking in my head that it would be mostly pain free (as they implied originally), and that once it was removal time, that it would also be pain free and just need to be rehabbed some. But hell, it's being removed on July 5th and it often hurts as bad as the night I broke it.

This seem correct to you? Am I expecting too much ya think?
    Hmm, can you tell if it's muscle pain or does it seem more than that? Considering you've been on the computer and even more from before, DISCLAIMER: (I'm not a doctor, not even on tv pretend), could it be carpal tunnel? I think the last thing that's a problem would be coming from the cast, as in the bone not being set properly. Pretty much they've got that nailed down.

I'd give the doc a call.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

3. Thanks jimnyc thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Stop masturbating with that arm until it's fully healed. I mean God .

5. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    Stop masturbating with that arm until it's fully healed. I mean God .
    I'm a righty, bro, and the injured arm is my left. I'm good to go!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

7. Thanks STTAB thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Hmm, can you tell if it's muscle pain or does it seem more than that? Considering you've been on the computer and even more from before, DISCLAIMER: (I'm not a doctor, not even on tv pretend), could it be carpal tunnel? I think the last thing that's a problem would be coming from the cast, as in the bone not being set properly. Pretty much they've got that nailed down.

I'd give the doc a call.
    I THINK it's likely a torn muscle/ligament in the arm as well. From day one I had pain in more areas than where it was actually broken. Is it possible to have an injury as such propel you into a carpal tunnel problem? Problem is, they really won't do jack shit for those things torn other than rehab and time I guess.

My main questions in my head was whether or not it was normal to have pain weeks after a cast is put on. But yeah, I can see there are too many variables involved.

You'll be getting a letter from my lawyer for medical malpractice if it's not feeling better by the morning.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I THINK it's likely a torn muscle/ligament in the arm as well. From day one I had pain in more areas than where it was actually broken. Is it possible to have an injury as such propel you into a carpal tunnel problem? Problem is, they really won't do jack shit for those things torn other than rehab and time I guess.

My main questions in my head was whether or not it was normal to have pain weeks after a cast is put on. But yeah, I can see there are too many variables involved.

You'll be getting a letter from my lawyer for medical malpractice if it's not feeling better by the morning.

Ok! Really, call the doctor! July5 is not that far away, but we both know how you worry. He'll probably just tell you, "Hey Wimp, suck it up!" (not really!)

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

10. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post

Ok! Really, call the doctor! July5 is not that far away, but we both know how you worry. He'll probably just tell you, "Hey Wimp, suck it up!" (not really!)
    Oh, he probably would! And while my wife has been an angel and so very helpful, she has stated as much only about 2,763 times.

12. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Oh, he probably would! And while my wife has been an angel and so very helpful, she has stated as much only about 2,763 times.
    Stop stressing and guessing. A cast, which immobilizes a whole bunch of stuff, is going to throw EVERYTHING involved out of kilter. Immobilization itself is painful due to muscle atrophy, then once you can get partial or full use back, you're jumping right into something that has done nothing for a period of time.

Then there's the fact that some pain is just part of healing.

Your wife HAS TO BE an angel. Nobody less would tolerate you

“When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

14. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Keep it in a sling when out and about during the daytime, thus keeping
    the weight of the cast off your arm. It looks 'brave' and all just to show the
    cast to everyone, but realize there are a couple of pounds of added weight
    to the arm.

As I suggested before, and ice pack or a bag of frozen peas can relieve some of the pain...
    place around the elbow.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

16. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Keep it in a sling when out and about during the daytime, thus keeping
    the weight of the cast off your arm. It looks 'brave' and all just to show the
    cast to everyone, but realize there are a couple of pounds of added weight
    to the arm.

As I suggested before, and ice pack or a bag of frozen peas can relieve some of the pain...
    place around the elbow.
    Odd, I read this and then put an ice pack at the elbow level, and sure enough, that helped a lot! Weird putting it where there's no pain, but maybe nerve endings there?

18. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Odd, I read this and then put an ice pack at the elbow level, and sure enough, that helped a lot! Weird putting it where there's no pain, but maybe nerve endings there?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

A major nerve trunk at the elbow!

Another good spot is the base of the skull on the back of your neck. That is the
    location of the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medulla_oblongata

That is the pain receptor and brain shield from pain shock for the entire body.
    Always an ice treatment there was one of my assistance responses.
    Last edited by Elessar; 06-21-2019 at 06:28 PM.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

21. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post