Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Default SCOTUS Strikes Down Census Case

Roberts joins the liberals:

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/sta...54751648993281

Chris GeidnerVerified account @chrisgeidnerFollowFollow
    @chrisgeidner

More

BREAKING: The Supreme Court says that partisan gerrymandering claims are a "political question" that cannot be challenged in court. The 5-4 ideological vote includes a majority decision by Chief Justice Roberts and dissent from Justice Elena Kagan.

7:11 AM - 27 Jun 2019

Robert's primary conclusion and the decision:

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

More:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/d...nship-decisoin

The Supreme Court has upheld a decision blocking the Trump administration from adding a citizenship question. The court’s ruling left the administration with broad wiggle room to add the question in the future.

In a complicated decision which was unanimous in some parts and split in others, the court said that it didn’t buy that administration’s stated reason for adding the question to the census, allegedly for Voting Rights Act enforcement.

“Altogether, the evidence tells a story that does not match the explanation the Secretary gave for his decision,” Chief Justice John Roberts said, calling the VRA justification a “distraction” and” contrived.”

The decision upheld a lower court’s ruling the the Trump administrations could not add the question to census unless it went through the proper protocols and provided a legitimate reason for doing so.

The decision, however, gave the Commerce Department broad authorities that could allow it to add a citizenship question in the census. Though the administration has claimed that it needs to send the forms to the printer next week, a Census Bureau official testified that by tapping “extraordinary resources” the printing deadline could be pushed back as late as Oct. 31.

Much of Roberts’ opinion gave credence to the arguments the Trump administration made in court, including that it was “reasonable” for Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross to overrule the concerns of the Bureau that the question would discourage participation on the survey.

The opinion also said that the Enumeration Clause does not prohibit a citizenship question on the census. Lower courts had found that it had because it risked the accuracy of the census count.
    So basically saying they didn't word things correctly. Same types of problem they had with both some immigration and armed services court cases.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

If I were Trump I'd put the question in the census. What is SCOTUS going to do about it?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I am no legal guru that will pretend to full understand their analysis on this one. All I can say - is that I see no reason why such a question should be removed and I don't see the political side as much as them I guess, and others.

We had some form of citizenship question on the census for 130 years, and IMO it should never had been removed.

The left will fight anything at all that is even remotely involving illegals. They don't even want accurate numbers. And why do you think some want illegals to have voting rights, and then offer them all kinds of freebies. They would add up to a lot of numbers. Not to mention, how many already vote somehow?

Oh, and certain locations may not get as much aid if they are counted.

Here's another article on the decision:

The Latest: Supreme Court blocks census citizenship question

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Latest on the Supreme Court’s final day before its summer break (all times local):

10:45 a.m.

The Supreme Court is forbidding President Donald Trump’s administration from adding a citizenship question to the 2020 census for now. The court says the Trump administration’s explanation for wanting to add the question was “more of a distraction” than an explanation.

It’s unclear whether the administration would have time to provide a fuller account. Census forms are supposed to be printed beginning next week.

The court ruled 5-4 on Thursday, with Chief Justice John Roberts joining the four liberals in the relevant part of the outcome.

A lower court found the administration violated federal law in the way it tried to add a question broadly asking about citizenship for the first time since 1950.

The Census Bureau’s own experts have predicted that millions of Hispanics and immigrants would go uncounted if the census asked everyone if he or she is an American citizen.

___

10:10 a.m.

The Supreme Court says federal courts have no role to play in policing political districts drawn for partisan gain. The decision could embolden political line-drawing for partisan gain when state lawmakers undertake the next round of redistricting following the 2020 census.

The justices said by a 5-4 vote Thursday that claims of partisan gerrymandering do not belong in federal court. The court’s conservative, Republican-appointed majority says that voters and elected officials should be the arbiters of what is a political dispute.

The court rejected challenges to Republican-drawn congressional districts in North Carolina and a Democratic district in Maryland.

Rest - https://www.breitbart.com/news/the-l...ship-question/
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I am no legal guru that will pretend to full understand their analysis on this one. All I can say - is that I see no reason why such a question should be removed and I don't see the political side as much as them I guess, and others.

We had some form of citizenship question on the census for 130 years, and IMO it should never had been removed.

The left will fight anything at all that is even remotely involving illegals. They don't even want accurate numbers. And why do you think some want illegals to have voting rights, and then offer them all kinds of freebies. They would add up to a lot of numbers. Not to mention, how many already vote somehow?

Oh, and certain locations may not get as much aid if they are counted.

Here's another article on the decision:

The Latest: Supreme Court blocks census citizenship question

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Latest on the Supreme Court’s final day before its summer break (all times local):

10:45 a.m.

The Supreme Court is forbidding President Donald Trump’s administration from adding a citizenship question to the 2020 census for now. The court says the Trump administration’s explanation for wanting to add the question was “more of a distraction” than an explanation.

It’s unclear whether the administration would have time to provide a fuller account. Census forms are supposed to be printed beginning next week.

The court ruled 5-4 on Thursday, with Chief Justice John Roberts joining the four liberals in the relevant part of the outcome.

A lower court found the administration violated federal law in the way it tried to add a question broadly asking about citizenship for the first time since 1950.

The Census Bureau’s own experts have predicted that millions of Hispanics and immigrants would go uncounted if the census asked everyone if he or she is an American citizen.

___

10:10 a.m.

The Supreme Court says federal courts have no role to play in policing political districts drawn for partisan gain. The decision could embolden political line-drawing for partisan gain when state lawmakers undertake the next round of redistricting following the 2020 census.

The justices said by a 5-4 vote Thursday that claims of partisan gerrymandering do not belong in federal court. The court’s conservative, Republican-appointed majority says that voters and elected officials should be the arbiters of what is a political dispute.

The court rejected challenges to Republican-drawn congressional districts in North Carolina and a Democratic district in Maryland.

Rest - https://www.breitbart.com/news/the-l...ship-question/
    FKK the damn court, it is just wrong as can so easily be seen. The adding of the census question is an attempt to get the damn truth...
    If the SCOTUS, was correct in this, then the demands of proof of residency, to attend school in certain districts, to access certain other things, along with demands of residency in the state when seeking driver licenses, etc, are therefore illegal/invalid.. I can not now go back to thew state I moved from three years go and buy a gun --without my having to have it shipped back to me by way of a license certified arms dealer in my new home state.
    There is a law that I must prove residency when buying a gun. According to the new census ruling ascertaining that proof of residency from me is unconstitutional! This logic is not flawed.
    Why this damn exception, other than it prevents --TRUTH....????!!!!
    Problem in this damn country now, is that the ffing dems have geared everything towards letting them lie, steal, cheat and even destroy people to keep or increase their power-- the GD SUPREME COURT should address that nation destroying issue instead of its obama appointed traitors on its bench joining to cover for the dem corrupt and openly traitorous party as they did about the unconstitutional obamacare shit.--Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

6. Thanks STTAB thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Here's a question.

Why was this even made public anyway? Should have just added the question without telling anyone.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    If I were Trump I'd put the question in the census. What is SCOTUS going to do about it?
    Why do you favor dictatorship?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Here's a question.

Why was this even made public anyway? Should have just added the question without telling anyone.
    You like to act smart and then post something idiotic like this.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete311 View Post
    i'm just spitballing here but maybe because it worked for Obama with DACA?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FakeNewsSux View Post
    i'm just spitballing here but maybe because it worked for Obama with DACA?
    SCOTUS ruled against DACA?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Oh I very much oppose the current idiocracy we live in where dumb fuck gets a vote. I've made myself quite clear on that point.

However, ignoring a SCOTUS ruling =/= dictatorship.

In the likely event that you simply are ignorant of history let me tell you in 1807 Thoma Jefferson himself ignored a Supreme Court ruling.

Abraham Lincoln defied a Supreme Court ruling

Franklin Roosevelt defied a Supreme Court ruling.

Those are but three examples , and all three of Presidents who are generally rated as top Presidents, not dictators.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

You like to act smart and then post something idiotic like this.
    Allow me to, once again, correct you. I don't act smart. I AM smart.

And your comment did nothing to address the question. Why announce something like this months ahead of time, rather than simply printing the census with the question in it on the scheduled printing date. Seems like an unforced error to me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Allow me to, once again, correct you. I don't act smart. I AM smart.

And your comment did nothing to address the question. Why announce something like this months ahead of time, rather than simply printing the census with the question in it on the scheduled printing date. Seems like an unforced error to me.
    An unforced error if you are a snake, yes. You think something like that just goes unnoticed until publication? Someone is going to blow that whistle. Internet smart guy, yeah, I get it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

An unforced error if you are a snake, yes. You think something like that just goes unnoticed until publication? Someone is going to blow that whistle. Internet smart guy, yeah, I get it.
    Probably so dumb dumb, but that wasn't what I was questioning. I was questioning why Trump himself had to Tweet "Hey all you wetbacks, yeah we're gonna ask if you beaners are citizens or not in the next census"

Damn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Sheesh!

Just leave it in there. A person has the option of not answering the damn question.

It is a choice, period.

Why all of the hub-bub? Yeah, Trump should not have announced it, but
    not aware of the whiny push-back it would receive.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

17. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, SassyLady thanked this post