Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Cast came off this morning!

So, couldn't wait to get there, it was like Christmas morning when I was a kid!

First a young girl came in with the cutter and sliced it on both sides, then a scissor through the cloth underneath on both sides and then relief!! The air hitting my arm felt SSSSSOoooooooo good!

First thing the young girl said, who is NOT a doctor - "Hmmmm, sure is swelled up a lot". I asked if that is normal after getting the cast off and she said no, it's usually mostly healed by now and all swelling gone.

So, now sent downstairs for more dang xrays. And the arm pretty much hurt the whole time in the cast, and of course xrays hurt as they twist ya like 5 times to get various angles.

Back upstairs and wait, and then see the doc's assistant. Turns out he is out today and not back til Monday.

She then asks me what happened? Did I fall again or similar? I told her no of course, as I didn't fall again. She states the break is actually worse than before! AND now there is an additional break in there and she showed it to me.

So now I have to wait to let the Doc see them on Monday and decide course of action and they call me. One option is of course surgery and screws are likely - and/or and also including right now....

ARRRRRRTRBGGGGGGGJHHHHHHHHCHH@! Damn 2nd cast on my arm. I hate myself right now.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks Kathianne, Gunny, Drummond, NT'sGirl, icansayit and 1 others thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post

First a young girl came in with the cutter and sliced it on both sides, then a scissor through the cloth underneath on both sides and then relief!! The air hitting my arm felt SSSSSOoooooooo good!

First thing the young girl said, who is NOT a doctor - "Hmmmm, sure is swelled up a lot". I asked if that is normal after getting the cast off and she said no, it's usually mostly healed by now and all swelling gone.

So, now sent downstairs for more dang xrays. And the arm pretty much hurt the whole time in the cast, and of course xrays hurt as they twist ya like 5 times to get various angles.

Back upstairs and wait, and then see the doc's assistant. Turns out he is out today and not back til Monday.

She then asks me what happened? Did I fall again or similar? I told her no of course, as I didn't fall again. She states the break is actually worse than before! AND now there is an additional break in there and she showed it to me.

So now I have to wait to let the Doc see them on Monday and decide course of action and they call me. One option is of course surgery and screws are likely - and/or and also including right now....

ARRRRRRTRBGGGGGGGJHHHHHHHHCHH@! Damn 2nd cast on my arm. I hate myself right now.

Geez, Jim. Bet Mrs. Jim is feeling bad about calling you a wimp now. I know I'm sorry about the, wuss. Should have called the doc. Good Lord! You were right! Hope that makes you feel better?

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

4. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

That sucks. I had a broken hand that was not casted correctly. The edge of it cut down damn near to the bone on
    my pinky knuckle. That finger is forever bent. Only option was to re-break it, which I passed on. Screw that!
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

6. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Geez, Jim. Bet Mrs. Jim is feeling bad about calling you a wimp now. I know I'm sorry about the, wuss. Should have called the doc. Good Lord! You were right! Hope that makes you feel better?
    Yeah, at least everyone now knows I wasn't all exaggerating. It hurt a lot, and 50% told me it was normal, including the Doc! But it's broken and never healed/closed for whatever reason.

The other 50%, some of them did tell me to call, but I didn't as a result of the other 50, and assuming it was my low threshold for pain, of which I admit I'm a wuss about!! Wifey is MUCH tougher than me when it comes to dealing with pain and ailments. She NEVER complains, and I have complaints weekly!

But the pain is horrible - but wearing this thing is exhausting. So hard to shower, just wash hands, get dressed, get a coffee ... everything. Been wearing sweats for a month and slippers everywhere I go (and couldn't care less!). Can only help and/or get things done so much. Wifey VERY helpful and understanding though.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

8. Likes Kathianne, NT'sGirl liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    That sucks. I had a broken hand that was not casted correctly. The edge of it cut down damn near to the bone on
    my pinky knuckle. That finger is forever bent. Only option was to re-break it, which I passed on. Screw that!
    The last one and now this one, dig into my thumb and would likely eat through it over time! I stuffed cotton under and around last one and taped up a little. This time, the woman gave me "mole skin" tape to wrap around it or over rough edges if it starts to irritate. Should have given me that crap last time. And yup, she says it's real and actually mole skin!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

You putz. Stop jacking off until it heals. Geez

Seriously, my first thought was the cast was too tight to make it swell. I had one on from toe to crotch for 8 weeks. About every 10 days I would have an "accident" in which the cast would be broken to the point of replacement required just so I could wash and scratch all that wonderful-smelling, yellow skin off Just a thought
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

11. Thanks STTAB thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    You putz. Stop jacking off until it heals. Geez

Seriously, my first thought was the cast was too tight to make it swell. I had one on from toe to crotch for 8 weeks. About every 10 days I would have an "accident" in which the cast would be broken to the point of replacement required just so I could wash and scratch all that wonderful-smelling, yellow skin off Just a thought
    Hey, I'm a righty in more ways than one, ya dirty bastard! "That" hand is just fine.

I don't think too tight as I was able to move it in every direction (the cast, not arm) with a little breathing room. Plus they cut it too. All that just in case it swells and allows a little wiggle room for it to grow if need be.

This time it's MUCH tighter and gonna be hard to get itches with my various scratching tools I used or invented. The plan is just til Monday. I'd rather surgery at this point so that I don't have to do another 4-6 weeks of this crap, but that's a tad more expensive than a cast! So I guess I'll find out on Monday. And if he says surgery, schedule ASAP so that this thing won't be on me forever. But then again, what the hell would they wrap around it after surgery with screws in there?

I dunno. Gonna be gentle for sure this time, but not like I hit it with hammers last time either.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Hey, I'm a righty in more ways than one, ya dirty bastard! "That" hand is just fine.

I don't think too tight as I was able to move it in every direction (the cast, not arm) with a little breathing room. Plus they cut it too. All that just in case it swells and allows a little wiggle room for it to grow if need be.

This time it's MUCH tighter and gonna be hard to get itches with my various scratching tools I used or invented. The plan is just til Monday. I'd rather surgery at this point so that I don't have to do another 4-6 weeks of this crap, but that's a tad more expensive than a cast! So I guess I'll find out on Monday. And if he says surgery, schedule ASAP so that this thing won't be on me forever. But then again, what the hell would they wrap around it after surgery with screws in there?

I dunno. Gonna be gentle for sure this time, but not like I hit it with hammers last time either.
    Be careful with those scratching tools. A coathanger was the tool of choice back in the day. If you scratch yourself inside that cast and it gets infected and festers until you get around to noticing it's not okay you're going to be in a world of hurt.

I just sucked the itching up. And yes it's hard. Like not smoking. But I wasn't chancing tearing my skin.

I can't imagine you re-broke it and didn't know it. If my cast just accidentally hit the floor I KNEW it.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Sorry, Jim. That stinks.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Hope you get to feeling better soon! I am starting to feel bad since I gave you that wily pup....good news she was the calm one!
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.” —. Morticia Addams

16. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Hmmmm.... been doing a lot of reading, and if I am right, I may be in more trouble than I thought as far as treatment is concerned. It would appear that what I have.... the broken bone was diagnosed as "Distal Radius Fracture" - and I found during my reading that what I further have now is - "Nonunion of the distal radius fracture" - which simply means that one of the most broken bones in our bodies, for whatever reason is not healing and going back together. That is the "nonunion part, and apparently for the normal bone I broke, that is pretty rare. Sometimes they call it "delayed healing".

What I found so far, in general terms of it. BUT, then read on for a few "fixes" I see for the distal radius breaks. NOT HAPPENING EVER!

Nonunion of Distal Radius Fractures. Nonunion of a distal radius fracture is extremely uncommon. Healing problems in the distal radius seem to be related to unstable situations, such as concomitant fracture of the distal radius and ulna, and to an inadequate period of immobilization.
    Symptoms of a fracture that is not healing normally includes tenderness, swelling, and then aching pain that may be felt deep within the affected bone
    Often, the bone isn't strong enough to bear weight, and you may not be able to use the affected body part until bone heals. Pain and weakness usually persist until the bone has healed. Sometimes this takes years, if it does in fact finally heal
    Surgical management of delayed union and nonunion of distal radius fractures

Ten patients with malaligned fractures of the distal radius that demonstrated either delayed healing or the development of an atrophic or synovial nonunion on standard radiographs were treated with surgical realignment, stable internal fixation, and autogenous iliac crest bone grafting. All 10 fractures healed with acceptable radiologic alignment within 3 months of the index procedure. After an average follow-up period of 3 years 6 months (range, 2 years to 8 years 6 months) patients had an average of 105° wrist flexion and extension, 145° forearm rotation, and 73% grip strength compared with the opposite limb.
    https://www.jhandsurg.org/article/S0...203-1/fulltext

Non-union of distal radius fracture is uncommon. Promising results in dorsally displaced fractures of distal radius were reported with the use of volar fixed-angle fixation. We report about a 75-year-old woman with non-union of distal radius, treated successfully by using volar locking compression plate.
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...10491710000503

Non-Union Of Fractured Distal Radius Treated With A Volar Locking Plate: A Case Report

Non-union following volar plate fixation for distal radius fractures is a rare complication. Diabetes and obesity are known risk factors. We have described a case of non union of a distal radius following open reduction internal fixation and uniting after revision with a combination of non-autologous and autologous bone graft. In patients with known risk factors for non union of distal radius fractures we recommend considering the use of bone graft in the primary setting.
    http://ispub.com/IJOS/19/2/13979

Believe it or not - a VERY common way of fixing this issue:

External Fixation - I was kind and didn't choose one that was just put on and real. Gross! How the hell you function with that thing on?

Internal Plate Fixation - Not sure if the same as the Volar device, but they are listed separately.

[IMG]Internal Plate Fixation[/IMG]

Volar Locking Plate

Autogenous iliac crest bone grafting - You can guess, I'll save you the bloody bone photos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

*** Do NOT scroll down - NSFW - Nikoh caught a squirrel, and it's only a 10 second video - but DO NOT watch if such things offend you or you are squeamish about ***

So my wife let Nikoh out this morning and she did her usual. She very quietly goes out on the porch and ducks and surveys what squirrels and birds or other wildlife that may be in the yard. When I can I make noises or lead the way to scare them off, but not practical to be able to do that every single time. Anyway, so she did her usual, and somehow she is always able to sneak up quietly on any unsuspecting animals. She IS like a "Stealth Nikoh" in which they can't see her coming sometimes.

Well, she got a big squirrel this time when the wife was with her. She texted me for help as she wouldn't let it go. So out I went and tried to help corner her to get her or get her to drop it. Of course she ignores us and runs like the wind as usual. I sent the wife inside to get a thing of water to toss on her. I did this quick video to show you the stuff I have to do that I hate.

She basically then followed her onto the back porch, where I cornered her. She still wouldn't let go but I was able to put the leash on her. Diana came and dropped a gallon of water on her head and she finally dropped the poor thing.

She was so happy at first, and probably wondering why we were upset with her lovely gift to the family.

*** Last Chance!! ***

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I’d imagine that squirrel wasn’t going to get any better if she dropped it. Survival of the fittest, anyway.
    Have you considered a bell around Nikoh’s neck?
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

What's happening now? Surgery? C'mon @jimnyc I've been waiting patiently.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

21. Likes Abbey Marie, NT'sGirl liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    What's happening now? Surgery? C'mon @jimnyc I've been waiting patiently.
    Still in pain and a little ticked off today. Have a migraine and I think from the pain and the frustration with everything.

The doc didn't even call, the same woman who casted my arm did. That's cool, she's a doc, but not in charge. But NOW she says "The doctor looked at the xrays, says he thinks things are ok but just needs time, and to give it another 4 weeks".

Uggghhhh.

So I ask if the extended pain, and the swelling that I had - coupled with the fact that she said there was an additional break in the wrist, and even showed it to me - I asked if I should be concerned? The swelling and pain I was told was NOT normal by them on Friday. She seemed very surprised with the additional small break, enough to have thought that I had fallen a second time, which I didn't.

So now she says the Doc said it's fine and no surgery would be necessary at this point, to let it continue healing - and that - "sometimes these things get worse before they get better".

Ok, so swelling and pain I can see. But an additional break? That's normal as part of this "getting worse before better" thing? I'm thinking perhaps it's in the first xray and that's why not as much concern by him. But I just hope he truly is going with the appropriate course of action at this point.

I know it's not been forever, but they all expected healing by now. So with surgery being optimal in the first 2 weeks, then knowing where I'm at now - assuming a longshot of non-healing in another month - will surgery THEN be the course of action? And if so, beyond the obvious which is suffering for longer, which I'm cool with if it's to successfully avoid surgery. Would it have any adverse actions considering long term dealing with it? Ya know, pain, lack of usage?

And if all remains equal, and the results would be the same no matter what, then I don't mind taking a cautious approach. But at the same time, knowing the success in the surgery, the long term success being better....

And one would think that a crappy ortho surgeon 'could' also schedule surgery, make a lot of money, when it truly wasn't needed. And I surely don't need unnecessary surgery. But if truly needed, the majority would be covered mostly anyway. So him being conservative, perhaps he knows what he's doing?

I know, I know, some will say go get a second opinion. I'm tired of it all right now. I don't feel like finding yet another place, another place taking new patients, taking my insurance - and not also demanding 4 more xrays of their own. But even if, it's all a pain just to get to that point. And then how do I know someone else knows what they're talking about, and would't give a quick approach to surgery just to draw me away to be a patient, out of need aka 'emergency' or whatever. It's a larger complex that I use, and they get quite busy, but the doc is highly rated - hence why I used him the first time around.

So now I took Naproxen and try to chill and forget about it for a few hours at least. It's frustrating more than anything, and the amount of things you CAN'T do with just one arm.