Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Just got back from new doc, and am I glad I went to them. He specializes in this issue and I was lucky enough to get in today. It's a much nicer facility - and the Doctor actually sat with me for awhile, explained things to me and answered all the questions I had.

The good news is that they took the cast off and left it off, and let me leave with a small brace on my arm.

The bad news is that is until Monday when I go in for surgery.

He asked me if anyone showed me the xrays, of which they did, but not every last one. He showed me the one of my arm sideways, where they showed me my arm flat on the table.

Well, in the sideways shot, you can easily see that the radius bone and the bones in the hand above were not lined up. He used some tools and put a pointer on the bottom left of my wrist and then to the upper right above the injury. He said if correct, this should read 100, meaning it's fully aligned. Mine read .72, meaning it's a good amount off where it needs to be. It needs to now be reset back to that position, and then a small plate and a couple of screws to hold it in place.

He confirmed - he stated I can start PT in 2 weeks after surgery as it heals much faster, and that in the long term there is less chance of ongoing issues. He said if I was 75 and up, maybe no surgery, but at my age, if I want my range of motion back, and pain free as possible, the surgery should get done.

He needed not tell me anymore once proof of it being out of alignment. Do the damn thing and get it over with, and then 6 months to a year getting her back into shape. Better than what the alternative may have been if I left it off like that.

Good that it gets fixed, correctly. Why wasn't it in the first place? Seems like if it was cause of the way it was done, the right way should be paid for by the other doc's insurance?

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

2. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

You must be so relieved! Good news, it seems.

After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

4. Likes Kathianne, jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Good that it gets fixed, correctly. Why wasn't it in the first place? Seems like if it was cause of the way it was done, the right way should be paid for by the other doc's insurance?
    It would be SO SO difficult to go that route. Appears he wanted the conservative route. While I think they missed the part that needs to be put back in place, they would deny it somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    You must be so relieved! Good news, it seems.

Yes and no. Now I am suddenly scared of going under. Wasn't always like that but I am scared this time for some reason. I think it's the concern of the future and extended pain. And not waking up of course. That would suck a little!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

6. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Just got back from new doc, and am I glad I went to them. He specializes in this issue and I was lucky enough to get in today. It's a much nicer facility - and the Doctor actually sat with me for awhile, explained things to me and answered all the questions I had.

The good news is that they took the cast off and left it off, and let me leave with a small brace on my arm.

The bad news is that is until Monday when I go in for surgery.

He asked me if anyone showed me the xrays, of which they did, but not every last one. He showed me the one of my arm sideways, where they showed me my arm flat on the table.

Well, in the sideways shot, you can easily see that the radius bone and the bones in the hand above were not lined up. He used some tools and put a pointer on the bottom left of my wrist and then to the upper right above the injury. He said if correct, this should read 100, meaning it's fully aligned. Mine read .72, meaning it's a good amount off where it needs to be. It needs to now be reset back to that position, and then a small plate and a couple of screws to hold it in place.

He confirmed - he stated I can start PT in 2 weeks after surgery as it heals much faster, and that in the long term there is less chance of ongoing issues. He said if I was 75 and up, maybe no surgery, but at my age, if I want my range of motion back, and pain free as possible, the surgery should get done.

He needed not tell me anymore once proof of it being out of alignment. Do the damn thing and get it over with, and then 6 months to a year getting her back into shape. Better than what the alternative may have been if I left it off like that.
    I've heard a time or two the story "it didn't heal right. We're going to have to re-break it and start over". And I have always thought that has got to be one of the worst trips to the doc there can be. Voluntarily walk right in, lay your arm on the table so they can break it all over.

When I was younger I'd blow it off in a second. Now, I just feel like a condemned man making myself put one foot in front of the other until I get to where I'm supposed to be

At least you got a good doc.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

8. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

It would be SO SO difficult to go that route. Appears he wanted the conservative route. While I think they missed the part that needs to be put back in place, they would deny it somehow.

Yes and no. Now I am suddenly scared of going under. Wasn't always like that but I am scared this time for some reason. I think it's the concern of the future and extended pain. And not waking up of course. That would suck a little!
    It’s the same for me, and I believe comes with age. We feel invincible when we’re young.

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I've heard a time or two the story "it didn't heal right. We're going to have to re-break it and start over". And I have always thought that has got to be one of the worst trips to the doc there can be. Voluntarily walk right in, lay your arm on the table so they can break it all over.

When I was younger I'd blow it off in a second. Now, I just feel like a condemned man making myself put one foot in front of the other until I get to where I'm supposed to be

At least you got a good doc.
    When he said that needed to be done, I literally stood up in shock and asked him if he meant right now. My ass was running away if that was his plan! But he said I'll get a needle that will numb my arm for about 20 hours, and then knocked out on top of that as well. I just hope I don't wake up in hell with the pain, but I'd rather have a little now and not for the rest of my life.

It’s the same for me, and I believe comes with age. We feel invincible when we’re young.
    Yup, I'm not invincible anymore! I used to be literally fearless of anything and everything.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Oh, and I may be posting less for now. Same as after the first cast removal - not sure why but the instant they remove it the pain comes rushing back. So now I'm trying to be a good boy until Monday, and I think I just get another splint on there after the surgery.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Given my reaction to "going under" the one and only time I have, everybody else is who needs to be scared

They would just have to do it with a local. I'd rather suck up the re-breaking and setting than be put under again. I can control how much I am whining while conscious SHit that makes me slam doctors into the wall not so much.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

13. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Given my reaction to "going under" the one and only time I have, everybody else is who needs to be scared

They would just have to do it with a local. I'd rather suck up the re-breaking and setting than be put under again. I can control how much I am whining while conscious SHit that makes me slam doctors into the wall not so much.

Oh Lordy. I would think very long about doing this under local. If the doc would even consent to do it that way!

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Also, tell the Anaesthetist about your reactions. I’ll bet he or she can ease the situation.

-Abbey

16. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Oh, and I may be posting less for now. Same as after the first cast removal - not sure why but the instant they remove it the pain comes rushing back. So now I'm trying to be a good boy until Monday, and I think I just get another splint on there after the surgery.
    I am sorry you are going through all this. :cry:

As for the 'shared stories,' I'll just say that nearly everyone comes through surgery fine. When pregnant run away from those that wish to share their 'I almost died' stories, you can hear those later. Pick the best doc you can, go with your choice. Focus on getting pain free and rehabbed! Prayers for you.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

18. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Oh Lordy. I would think very long about doing this under local. If the doc would even consent to do it that way!
    Also, tell the Anaesthetist about your reactions. I’ll bet he or she can ease the situation.
    I have an extremely high tolerance to pain. I've had a broken bone set without anesthesia. Couple of times.

Had anesthesia once, when I was hospitalized. I guess that was not an option since I was on life support but somebody forgot to send me the memo. They also were gaming their dope a little on the low side. Imagine waking up with a tube down your throat trying to breathe and not having a clue where you are or why. I sat up, yanked out the tube and slammed the doctor and orderly against the wall, all while I couldn't move from the waist down. THIS incident is what actually caused the stroke. I was without oxygen for over 2 minutes because I yanked out the tube. Which is also what saved the doctor because I passed out. Actually, I dropped dead, but the result the same

I still have issues from the incident, mostly memory-related, but when I first got out? I was a fruit loop for a year. And it DID take that long for me to realize what had actually happened to me. I didn't even know I was the one that yanked the tube out.

The upside of it is I used to have horrible PTSD. Haven't had an issue with it since. I wouldn't recommend that as a cure for it though

20. Thanks Kathianne, Abbey Marie, CSM thanked this post
    Likes CSM, High_Plains_Drifter, jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Shoot, was allowed black coffee with sugar this morn but only to 3 hours before, and my alarm went off at 3:30 am and I was back asleep by 3:31.

Have to be at surgery place for 7:45 this morning. Wish me some good luck and prayers please! Got sick to my stomach 2x last night because of lack of eating and stress. Just can't wait to wake up from this and it's over, I can deal with the rest.

22. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Shoot, was allowed black coffee with sugar this morn but only to 3 hours before, and my alarm went off at 3:30 am and I was back asleep by 3:31.

Have to be at surgery place for 7:45 this morning. Wish me some good luck and prayers please! Got sick to my stomach 2x last night because of lack of eating and stress. Just can't wait to wake up from this and it's over, I can deal with the rest.
    You got the prayers and good thoughts! Get better quick!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Just take it as it rolls, jimbob. You'll be alright. The REAL screwjob comes when you have to sit around doing nothing while you recover, and you don't have a choice.

We'll be here. You can't get rid of us that easy

25. Likes jimnyc liked this post