Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    I feel pretty confident in speaking on this subject since I have a PhD in History .

Lincoln would have happily kept blacks in slavery if it would have kept the Union together. His primary objective was avoiding a Civil War. He did not want war, for he knew the long term consequences would be devastating.

However once there was war he realized that there was no going back to any form of slavery.

He didn't free the slaves because he believed slavery was wrong, He did it from a pragmatic point of view. He fully realized that freeing the slaves was the ONLY way to heal this nation once the war was over.
    H'm.

You're giving me precisely the opposite view of Lincoln than I've had. I've always believed that high principle was what drove Lincoln throughout his life.

OK, well, thanks. I'll go away and do a bit of research. Maybe I've more to learn.
    Last edited by Drummond; 07-18-2019 at 02:42 PM.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

2. Thanks STTAB thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    I feel pretty confident in speaking on this subject since I have a PhD in History .

Lincoln would have happily kept blacks in slavery if it would have kept the Union together. His primary objective was avoiding a Civil War. He did not want war, for he knew the long term consequences would be devastating.

However once there was war he realized that there was no going back to any form of slavery.

He didn't free the slaves because he believed slavery was wrong, He did it from a pragmatic point of view. He fully realized that freeing the slaves was the ONLY way to heal this nation once the war was over.
    Exactly right. Lincoln felt that slavery would extinguish itself. He was against its expansion into new territories and even considered Liberia as an answer. Once the war started, it became necessary for it to end.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

4. Thanks Drummond, STTAB thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    H'm.

You're giving me precisely the opposite view of Lincoln than I've had. I've always believed that high principle was what drove Lincoln throughout his life.

OK, well, thanks. I'll go away and do a bit of research. Maybe I've more to learn.
    Don' t dig too deep, you may also come to realize that Lincoln was a tyrant LOL his emancipation proclamation was actually unconstitutional , but he threatened to pack the Supreme Court if they even looked at the issue lol and he browbeat Congress into passing the 13th Amendment before the end of the Civil War because he didn't want Confederate states voting on it. In fact he PROLONGED the civil war in order to get the Amendment voted on before the southern states were readmitted. The south was actually ready to surrender a full year before they did , but Lincoln refused to negotiate with them until the 13th Amendment was ratified.

Lincoln played REAL hardball.

6. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Thank you for this thoughtful, extensive, and direct personal insult.
    You have laid your cards on the table and been called - poker term.

Yet you still lack humility...
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

8. Likes High_Plains_Drifter, Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    You have laid your cards on the table and been called - poker term.

Yet you still lack humility...
    Show me a millennial leftist that does have humility.