Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Interesting comment. Where do you get the impression Trump "loves Erdogan"? That was not the impression I got at all.
    Not much on CNN, but it was well covered:

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...a-close-friend

Trump praises Erdogan: 'We have a great friendship'
    BY JOSH DELK - 09/21/17 04:10 PM EDT

Trump praises Erdogan: 'We have a great friendship'
    President Trump on Thursday hailed the close relationship formed with his Turkish counterpart, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, during a bilateral meeting in New York.

"We have a great friendship, as countries and I think we're right now as close as we've ever been," Trump said, according to pool reports. His comments come a day after delivering his first address before the United Nations General Assembly.

Trump praises Erdoğan, says US and Turkey relationship is closest that has never been pic.twitter.com/Ci4KTJ1IXm

— Ragıp Soylu (@ragipsoylu) September 21, 2017
    Trump went on to say that Erdogan is “running a very difficult part of the world. He has evolved very strongly, and frankly he’s getting very high marks.”

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-f...the-right-way/

By DAVID MORGAN CBS NEWS July 16, 2018, 10:03 AM
    Trump fist-bumped Turkish leader Erdogan, said he "does things the right way"

"Trump was very frustrated; he wasn't getting commitments from other leaders to spend more. Many of them said, 'Well, we have to ask our parliaments. We have a process; we can't just tell you we're going to spend more, we have a legal process.' Trump turns around to the Turkish president, Recep Erdogan, and says, 'Except for Erdogan over here. He does things the right way,' and then actually fist-bumps the Turkish president."

It was a startling gesture of support for the increasingly authoritarian Turkish leader, who recently won another term and is widely expected to continue consolidating his power.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

2. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Come on, he also called Kim a great friend. Do you REALLY think he think him and Kim are buddies, or do you suppose he's just doing what comes naturally to him as a salesman?

4. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    Come on, he also called Kim a great friend. Do you REALLY think he think him and Kim are buddies, or do you suppose he's just doing what comes naturally to him as a salesman?
    Not talking about Kim. Not talking about someone who’s as thin skinned and susceptible to asskiissing as himself.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Not surprising I missed that since it's from CNN. I'd as soon be friends with that gator in Chicago when it was hungry,

I have issue with some of Trump's foreign policy. Not all of it but I was not okay with eating shit from Erdogan over the kurds in Syria. Sorry, that's not my kind of "friend". If Erdogan's self-serving ass is playing buddies with Trump rest assured there is something in it for Erdogan/Turkey. Because meanwhile, back at the ranch, Erdogan is kissing up to Putin for a nuclear power plant.

We can most afford to dump the place and should. Russia can't since it borders Russia and the Black Sea.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    Glad you mentioned that. So I'm watching the tube and they start shilling the Elton Jane story and the movie is called "Rocket Man". I nearly fell out of my chair.

As many times as Trump called Un "Little Rocket Man" the best you can do is name your alleged autobiographical movie after him? I thought it was funny anyway I think I'd have titled my movie after a different one of my songs.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Not surprising I missed that since it's from CNN. I'd as soon be friends with that gator in Chicago when it was hungry,

I have issue with some of Trump's foreign policy. Not all of it but I was not okay with eating shit from Erdogan over the kurds in Syria. Sorry, that's not my kind of "friend". If Erdogan's self-serving ass is playing buddies with Trump rest assured there is something in it for Erdogan/Turkey. Because meanwhile, back at the ranch, Erdogan is kissing up to Putin for a nuclear power plant.

We can most afford to dump the place and should. Russia can't since it borders Russia and the Black Sea.
    It was not CNN, that was STAAB thinking he was cute.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Point is, I missed it. I'd have probably been hootin' n- hollerin' about it if I'd caught it. I'm not a politician and I doubt I could play two-faced long with a Turk. I guess I couldn't expect anything other than Trump being diplomatic while being handed some $. Not sure I'd go with the fist bump about it

I wouldn't trust myself to get my fist that close to Erdogan's face and not connect. I think I'd forego claiming it was a slip ... I most certainly wouldn't forget renaming the street in front of the US Embassy in Turkey after a victory of Turkey's army over a bunch of farmers in Northern Syria. Like I haven't.

Trump's foreign policy is just twilight zone material to me. I don't mean that in a good or bad way. Just means I don't get. He makes no sense from a military/geopolitical view.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Point is, I missed it. I'd have probably been hootin' n- hollerin' about it if I'd caught it. I'm not a politician and I doubt I could play two-faced long with a Turk. I guess I couldn't expect anything other than Trump being diplomatic while being handed some $. Not sure I'd go with the fist bump about it

I wouldn't trust myself to get my fist that close to Erdogan's face and not connect. I think I'd forego claiming it was a slip ... I most certainly wouldn't forget renaming the street in front of the US Embassy in Turkey after a victory of Turkey's army over a bunch of farmers in Northern Syria. Like I haven't.

Trump's foreign policy is just twilight zone material to me. I don't mean that in a good or bad way. Just means I don't get. He makes no sense from a military/geopolitical view.
    I would say that most of what Trump says, does, and writes leaves me the same.

11. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

I would say that most of what Trump says, does, and writes leaves me the same.
    I try to look at him a bit more objectively than that

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I try to look at him a bit more objectively than that
    I could argue that I'm the objective one here.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

STTAB doesn't think he's cute, STTAB actually IS cute.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I'll say one thing, Trump is in a bind when it comes to the geopolitical/military aspect of things. Being a complete civilian outsider he doesn't really know the ins and outs of what he's dealing with and then on top of that he's got people advising him who have neither his best interest nor the best interest of the US as their top priorities. That asshole John Bolton would have us fighting a war in every country on Earth if he could, and sadly most of Washington DC agrees with him.

I think Trump himself has moved toward the hawk since becoming President.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

@Gunny a bit of good news, though you can see that the President seems to like Erdogan:

https://www.defensenews.com/congress...ns-are-coming/

Lawmakers say Trump is locked into Turkey sanctions 20 hours ago

By: Joe Gouldand Aaron Mehta

Updated 4:51 PM with fuller quotes from Trump and Esper

WASHINGTON ― After days of silence about whether Turkey will be punished for accepting a Russian-made air defense system, U.S. President Donald Trump reluctantly seemed to agree Turkey will now be cut off from the F-35.

Though Washington has repeatedly warned that the Russian system, the S-400, is incompatible with NATO systems and is a threat to the F-35, Trump expressed sympathy toward Turkey’s decision. Trump portrayed the Obama administration as refusing to sell Turkey an American alternative, the Patriot missile defense system, until after the S-400 purchase was complete.

“So what happens is we have a situation where Turkey is very good with us, very good, and we are now telling Turkey that because you have really been forced to buy another missile system, we’re not going to sell you the F-35 fighter jets," Trump said
    . "It’s a very tough situation that they’re in, and it’s a very tough situation that we’ve been placed in, the United States.”

“With all of that being said, we’re working through it, but it’s not really fair,” Trump added. “Because they bought a Russian system, we’re not allowed to sell them billions of aircraft. It’s not a fair situation.”

The administration’s delayed response has fueled speculation Trump was looking to avoid a fight with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, whom he has sympathized with in the past. And notably, the president did not say whether he would impose sanctions on Turkey under the Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act, or CAATSA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Don't know why Trump likes Erdogan. This decision will just Push Turkey closer to Russia who probably will sell them comparable Russian fighters. Erdogan has to show us and World the US doesn't mean sh*t, while Putin will see an opportunity to get another toe in the door of a country he probably covets in his wildest dreams. Turkey aligning with Russia theoretically gives Putin a land bridge to Iran, the Arabian Gulf and Indian Ocean. He's already got one to the Baltic. Not to mention Iran's oil.

18. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Not a lot new here except the continuing effort by the EU to appease the World's largest exporter of Islamic terrorism. The article DOES explain the "deal" in more detail than I have seen in the media. That is the main reason I posted it.

Does Europe learn nothing? One would think turning a blind eye to Hitler and the price tag that came with it might help the thought process.

https://www.oann.com/britain-sees-sm...europe-to-act/
    I agree that the EU's appeasement tactic towards Iran is mind-numbingly stupid. More, it's downright scary.

Those jokers in Tehran are now working full-pelt towards the capability of having, and deploying as they choose, a nuclear bomb.

I noted just a day ago a news item where Iran said that discussion of its missile program was a big 'no-no'. They won't stand for anything that may impede their ballistic capabilities. Those inclined to appease Iran, thinking it can do any longer-term good ... explain HOW, given that reality !

According to the link I've read ... Jeremy Hunt, currently our Foreign Secretary, and Boris Johnson's opposing candidate to become our future Prime Minister, thinks that Iran being ONE, repeat ONE, year from an offensive nuclear capability .. is something to feel 'good' about ! That it gives us all hope of a decent and enlightened outcome from playing a 'softly-softly' diplomatic game with them.

Unbelievable.

Voting him in as our next Prime Minister would be the equivalent of the UK becoming one big Neville Chamberlain fan club. God help us if Boris loses to him in the next several days.

Oh, and as for Trump liking Erdogan: well, how long will that last ? Let Erdogan turn on Trump in the slightest, and I trust Trump to drop Erdogan like a hot potato.
    Last edited by Drummond; 07-17-2019 at 06:18 PM.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!