Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Iran state TV: Iranian forces seize foreign oil tanker, crew

https://www.apnews.com/2d94f2b673b74940b26db541e9eeb262
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post

Exactly, that was the 1st incident in the past few days, the Iranian drone closing on our USS Boxer today was the 2nd. Oh, the drone was destroyed when it wouldn't be deterred after warnings. That is what the announcement was today.

Can Iran keep up these acts, with just 'tough words?' (Even with the drone notwithstanding). How much 'provocation' before we are provoked? That is what I'm wondering if Trump is wondering.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/18/polit...one/index.html

Above is a bit of a round up.

President Trump on drone:

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I don't think that ship was meant to go fight Iran, but with the drone, that is 2 incidents in 2 or 3 days. I think there's going to be a response soon. As I said above, I'm no Trump expert, but I've not seen him anything but focused in his speeches, even those I really haven't cared for. He seemed very distracted to me at today's ceremony.
    They won't be sent to start a full-fledged war with Iran on their own, no. They ARE however there for this very reason. The MEU(SOC) is 3 ships of war manned by 3 ships full of highly trained and skilled warriors who would love nothing more than be given a green light to strike Iran (or Iraq at the time). It's boring as Hell out there and I can bet you the smoking lamp is NOT lit. They're cocked n locked. And I DO STILL have the t-shirts

Doesn't matter who is doing what. Somebody did something. The ship's on alert and the jarheads are stowing non-essential "travelin" gear.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

6. Thanks Kathianne, High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    They won't be sent to start a full-fledged war with Iran on their own, no. They ARE however there for this very reason. The MEU(SOC) is 3 ships of war manned by 3 ships full of highly trained and skilled warriors who would love nothing more than be given a green light to strike Iran (or Iraq at the time). It's boring as Hell out there and I can bet you the smoking lamp is NOT lit. They're cocked n locked. And I DO STILL have the t-shirts

Doesn't matter who is doing what. Somebody did something. The ship's on alert and the jarheads are stowing non-essential "travelin" gear.
    Thanks. I just know that I got 'a feeling' from Trump's demeanor.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

If there's a response coming, we are NOT going to have it broadcast over the air.

It'll just happen, and I can't help but think it'll have bipartisan approval, and our allies will know about it as well.

Course I could be wrong.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 07-18-2019 at 05:21 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    These numbers aren't even possible. A Nimitz class carrier can carry about 5800 people most of whom are Navy Sailors who actually operate the ship, along with Naval flight crews. A Ford class carrier can accomodate about half that many people.

If you really packed those Marines in like sardines you might get 500 on either carrier class.

Totally inefficient way to get Marines around, and we have other ships much more suited to the task.
    The USS Boxer is the lead ship in a Marine Expeditionary Unit. The MEU is comprised of an LH (Boxer) an LPD (grunt boat) and an LH-something that is a grunt boat with a whole bunch of electronics. The 2,200 Marines and 2000 Sailors are disbursed among the 3 ships.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

10. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

The USS Boxer is the lead ship in a Marine Expeditionary Unit. The MEU is comprised of an LH (Boxer) an LPD (grunt boat) and an LH-something that is a grunt boat with a whole bunch of electronics. The 2,200 Marines and 2000 Sailors are disbursed among the 3 ships.
    That sounds like a whole lot of testosterone...

My CIA teacher (30+ years, including the ME, including CIA Director of Operations), thinks the Iranian people are going to revolt in the not-too-distant future. The man knows stuff. We need to try our utmost to stay out of there and let them sort it out, IMO.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

12. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Seems the USS Boxer had 2k Marines on it. It's some sort of assault ship, just going through the international waters. Anyways, it is an escalation. Seems the thousands, was 2k. and their 'breaking news' coming was a sort of mix up?
    "Just going through International waters". Yeah. That's what we did every deployment.

The USS Boxer and entourage is on a 6 month deployment to the Arabian Gulf. Fart around showing face (force projection) from San Diego to the Gulf for 2 months, get off in Kuwait and man part of the border for a month or so, then fart around showing face all the way back home.

They will pick up at least (but not limited to) a guided missile cruiser prior to entering the Strait of Hormuz.

The USS Boxer alone is a formidable weapon. It doesn't need help to shoot down a drone. Iran on the other hand would need to build a Navy to go after the Boxer. Their current inventory isn't quite up to snuff

14. Thanks Kathianne, High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    That sounds like a whole lot of testosterone...

My CIA teacher (30+ years, including the ME, including CIA Director of Operations), thinks the Iranian people are going to revolt in the not-too-distant future. The man knows stuff. We need to try our utmost to stay out of there and let them sort it out, IMO.
    They've tried twice in the past 20 years, but got no outside support.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

They've tried twice in the past 20 years, but got no outside support.
    We could do a lot, clandestinely...
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

17. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

"Just going through International waters". Yeah. That's what we did every deployment.

The USS Boxer and entourage is on a 6 month deployment to the Arabian Gulf. Fart around showing face (force projection) from San Diego to the Gulf for 2 months, get off in Kuwait and man part of the border for a month or so, then fart around showing face all the way back home.

They will pick up at least (but not limited to) a guided missile cruiser prior to entering the Strait of Hormuz.

The USS Boxer alone is a formidable weapon. It doesn't need help to shoot down a drone. Iran on the other hand would need to build a Navy to go after the Boxer. Their current inventory isn't quite up to snuff
    I'm sure they are not there for fun, but for show. Good bet they are not alone either. I do believe it was the USS Boxer that destroyed the drone, as they told it to scat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by icansayit View Post
    There is nothing unusual about the U.S.S. Boxer, and more Marines being there.

Every day of every year. There is a U.S. Military presence at sea in the Med, Indian Ocean, and the Persian Gulf.

The Marines are part of what is called a DEPLOYED MARDIV.....Marine Division, who routinely go on deployments around the World, as part of the Entire U.S.Navy Fleet Deployment schedules, arranged annually to both Maintain Training, and Keep a READY FORCE in place IF NEEDED.

The USS BOXER is an Amphibious Ship that transports All kinds of Amphibious Vehicles, as well as MARINES, and WE have many of them around the World.

By the way. I speak from personal experience, and you can ask Gunny for his input as well.
    Good point. There's more than one There's a MEU in the Med. A MEU working up in Norfolk to replace the MEU currently in the Med. They can drop down into the Red pretty quick.

There's a MEU working up at Cam Pendleton to replace the one Boxer is with.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Is that Boxer as in Boxer Shorts? I'm just being silly... probably even sound stupid... but thanks for the info.

It appears to me that Iran WANTS a war, otherwise why would they do such STUPID things?

And that's a war they KNOW they CAN'T WIN.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 07-18-2019 at 05:38 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post

Unlike Iran, we CAN take it back. Cost lives though.