Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Somebody's going to have to back down. Iran is going to demand concessions and are trying to use the rest of the people affected by the closure of the Strait (we are affected least) as leverage to turn others against us and pressure us to back off.

I am wondering what has brought Iran to this sudden, and as I see it desperate gamble that could easily escalate out of control. Then again, they're Persians so probably think they are driving the train
    According to the president and news talkers, it's because Iran is at the end of their rope due to sanctions.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

The usual semi-committal language is emanating from our people. 'Serious consequences' are promised if our remaining tanker isn't released (which says two things: one, we're still weighing options, and two, our people are hoping Iran will let the tanker go, meaning if they do, presumably there'll be no action !).

I think we're dithering.

I hope not.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

News is saying that Britain is meeting and the US is trying to decide what they'll do if Britain asks for help. Thus is looks like Britain may be getting ready to act, as @Gunny said.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    News is saying that Britain is meeting and the US is trying to decide what they'll do if Britain asks for help. Thus is looks like Britain may be getting ready to act, as @Gunny said.
    Perhaps so. I for one don't want Iran to get away with this.

A message that would tell Iran we meant business would include a deadline by which Iran is expected to comply ... you don't issue a deadline if you don't also intend to back it up, if not complied with. But as yet, there's no suggestion of any deadline given to Iran. This'll send a softer, weaker message than otherwise. This is why I suspect there is an element of dithering involved.

We've also issued an 'advisory', telling British ships to avoid the area for the time being.

Bear in mind our current political climate .. our Prime Minister will be gone within days, a new PM will take over. If the Iranians were hoping for a 'power-vacuum' effect, their timing is impeccable. They want a weak response to this.

Story still ongoing ... and it's past my bedtime (after 4am here) ! When I wake up, I hope to hear a report that says what will be DONE about this.

If America does supply material aid (military), I for one will appreciate it.
    Last edited by Drummond; 07-19-2019 at 10:21 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

They are attacking UK (flagged) shipping. We are their bestest friend

If the US and UK alone wanted to re-open the Gulf by force, not much could stop them.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

They are attacking UK (flagged) shipping. We are their bestest friend

If the US and UK alone wanted to re-open the Gulf by force, not much could stop them.
    Maybe, but for the first time I can recall, it sounds like the US may not jump.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Maybe, but for the first time I can recall, it sounds like the US may not jump.
    In all honesty, after the disgusting Darroch business, I couldn't blame your side at all if it was reluctant to help. We're supposed to be a friend and ally; something Darroch betrayed, big-time. You appreciate a friend; you don't go around backstabbing that friend, as Darroch did.

Maybe this is one time when it might be a good thing if we totally stood on our own two feet over this. It's difficult to conclude that we don't deserve to, all things considered.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    The usual semi-committal language is emanating from our people. 'Serious consequences' are promised if our remaining tanker isn't released (which says two things: one, we're still weighing options, and two, our people are hoping Iran will let the tanker go, meaning if they do, presumably there'll be no action !).

I think we're dithering.

I hope not.
    That's how Brits always sound to us (not dithering, but the polite part )
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

According to the president and news talkers, it's because Iran is at the end of their rope due to sanctions.
    I heard that. It could be. I can't really come up with another reason.

There's really nothing Iran can do to win anything if everyone concerned just shut them down. The Strait can be re-opened with gunboat diplomacy easy enough. So, being the GySgt that I am, I am looking for the something we aren't seeing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

I heard that. It could be. I can't really come up with another reason.

There's really nothing Iran can do to win anything if everyone concerned just shut them down. The Strait can be re-opened with gunboat diplomacy easy enough. So, being the GySgt that I am, I am looking for the something we aren't seeing.
    Our media have made the same point, saying that sanctions are biting hard. Which will mean that Iran will have to make its actions count, which in turn means that countering reactions HAVE to be tough ones. It isn't just that us Brits shouldn't dither ... we have to prevent even the appearance of it.

So, if there is an appreciable gap in any clear response, when it does come, it HAS to be a tough one.

I want to hear of one, in the shortest possible time.

What bothers me is that the UK political position on sanctions, and the whole ending of the nuke deal, was one where we wanted to be more conciliatory to Iran than the American side did, under Trump. If we're still mired in the hope of diplomacy finding a 'fudge' outcome, as we have been, recently .. how readily will the UK abandon it ? If we're still stupid enough not to, there's no way Tehran won't interpret that as weakness. Which is the last thing that's needed, obviously.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    Our media have made the same point, saying that sanctions are biting hard. Which will mean that Iran will have to make its actions count, which in turn means that countering reactions HAVE to be tough ones. It isn't just that us Brits shouldn't dither ... we have to prevent even the appearance of it.

So, if there is an appreciable gap in any clear response, when it does come, it HAS to be a tough one.

I want to hear of one, in the shortest possible time.

What bothers me is that the UK political position on sanctions, and the whole ending of the nuke deal, was one where we wanted to be more conciliatory to Iran than the American side did, under Trump. If we're still mired in the hope of diplomacy finding a 'fudge' outcome, as we have been, recently .. how readily will the UK abandon it ? If we're still stupid enough not to, there's no way Tehran won't interpret that as weakness. Which is the last thing that's needed, obviously.

Looks like you called it, seems they basically have called on Iran to 'let their ship go...or face serious repercussions down the road...or something.' (I'm sorry, it reminds me of "Team America," and the strongly worded letter from the UN to Kim...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Looks like you called it, seems they basically have called on Iran to 'let their ship go...or face serious repercussions down the road...or something.' (I'm sorry, it reminds me of "Team America," and the strongly worded letter from the UN to Kim...
    The 'or something' is where we now stand, apparently.

I've woken up to learn that Jeremy Hunt has had 'stern words' with whatever (or whoever) the chief Iranian diplomat to hand is called ... where Jeremy's 'disappointment' has been firmly relayed to him.

There will be, it seems, 'serious consequences' if Iran doesn't correct what it's done.

And ... that's it.

Jeremy Hunt feels the way forward is to find a diplomatic solution.

Evidence that Iran is quaking in its boots has yet to emerge (.. but is expected, by Jingo, any time now !! ..) ..

Some good news ! France and Germany have (in a break from their combative Brexit posturings) come out in support of us. We know this is true, because they say so. What's more, the BBC confirms it ! That's all right, then ! Whoopee.

-- So. Clearly, our people have yet to wake up to the truth of the nature of the regime they're dealing with. Who knows, maybe they never will. I think we have a psychology that's been spoonfed to us by our traitorous Left over generations, one of deference to foreign cultures, and it's reached such an emasculating pitch that we're strongly biased towards finding the weakest, most deferential outcomes to serious issues that we can.

Jeremy Hunt, apparently, buys into that psychology (I hope I'm wrong, and that he's just playing for time, & has other measures in mind) . Me ... I've hopes that if / when Boris Johnson wins the PM role, he'll show he is made of sterner stuff.

We'll see. That is, if we have any ships left, by that time ........
    Last edited by Drummond; 07-20-2019 at 10:59 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

FOX is reporting that Hunt said, "No military action."

It's their ship, I don't see the US acting for this. If Britain won't, why would we?

Now I do think the US will be aggressive if defense for our own interests, including any military vessels we have in the area. The drone take down being the latest example.
    Last edited by Kathianne; 07-20-2019 at 11:19 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

FOX is reporting that Hunt said, "No military action."

It's their ship, I don't see the US acting for this. If Britain won't, why would we?

Now I do think the US will be aggressive if defense for our own interests, including any military vessels we have in the area. The drone take down being the latest example.
    Exactly. Couldn't agree more.

I think that your last paragraph helps explain why Iran is altogether more keen to take the UK on. Iran responds properly when shown strength (i.e they know some degree of caution is advisable). But, diplomacy ? Iran might see it as a means to manipulate, but otherwise, I don't think they have any time for it. I'm convinced they'll see Hunt's handling of all this as weak, maybe laughable, and if anything, they'll probably be spurred on to be even more belligerent in the face of it.