Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Default Millenials

The other day, I saw a screed by a millennial about what he saw as the short comings of Baby Boomers. Among them, our choice of foods (toast, jello, meat loaf, and soda), our use if paper napkins.... well, you get the point

My response

1. Grow up. The world is not an episode of Barney, you don’t always get what you want and the world doesn’t owe you a thing

2. Manners. There are several words that you should learn that will help you get along with people. They are “please”, “thank you”, and “I am sorry”.

3. It’s not all about you and you self esteem. Others have feelings too. Learn the Golden Rule and you will find your overall mental health improving.

4. Your iphone, Facebook, and texting. Yes, they are all useful to have. But when you fritter your life away on Facebook, text while you drive and cross the street, you have a serious problem. You are endangering the lives of others and yourself... refer to point #1

5. Read a book. Learn about something, that is part what makes life rewarding. You can’t do that on Facebook

6. Your politics and a free lunch. First there is no such thing as free, everything has a price. That includes green new deals. Part if the price you pay for free elections is sometimes your guy loses, learn to deal with disappointment and failure instead of finding a scapegoat.... refer to point #1

7. Your music.... some of it is absolute crap. Anything that advocates violence, drugs, and misogyny is not worth listening to. Consider another genre of music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin. - Ronald Reagan

2. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KarlMarx View Post
    The other day, I saw a screed by a millennial about what he saw as the short comings of Baby Boomers. Among them, our choice of foods (toast, jello, meat loaf, and soda), our use if paper napkins.... well, you get the point

My response

1. Grow up. The world is not an episode of Barney, you don’t always get what you want and the world doesn’t owe you a thing

2. Manners. There are several words that you should learn that will help you get along with people. They are “please”, “thank you”, and “I am sorry”.

3. It’s not all about you and you self esteem. Others have feelings too. Learn the Golden Rule and you will find your overall mental health improving.

4. Your iphone, Facebook, and texting. Yes, they are all useful to have. But when you fritter your life away on Facebook, text while you drive and cross the street, you have a serious problem. You are endangering the lives of others and yourself... refer to point #1

5. Read a book. Learn about something, that is part what makes life rewarding. You can’t do that on Facebook

6. Your politics and a free lunch. First there is no such thing as free, everything has a price. That includes green new deals. Part if the price you pay for free elections is sometimes your guy loses, learn to deal with disappointment and failure instead of finding a scapegoat.... refer to point #1

7. Your music.... some of it is absolute crap. Anything that advocates violence, drugs, and misogyny is not worth listening to. Consider another genre of music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    All great points, brother.

But I have to respond to #4... the other day I was going uptown to the gas station and saw this young girl on a bike heading down the side road I was going to turn on. She was probably 12 or 13. The thought had already occurred to me so I was ready, but she was riding along on the left side of the street, staring contently at her PHONE and then TURNED RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME WITHOUT so much as a GLANCE to see if anything was COMING. A SLAMMED on my brakes and came to an abrupt halt just a couple FEET from her. She just looked at me like I was from MARS and kept right on going across the street as though it was NO BIG DEAL. NO shock, no SORRY, no THANK YOU for NOT RUNNING HER ASS OVER, no anything. I was tempted to roll down the window and bitch her out but, what good would do? These little MORONS and their PHONES. I was also VERY tempted to take the VIDEO of the incident down to the cop shop and show it to them, which brings me to the point of being VERY glad I have a DASH CAM. Had I FLATTENED her, I'd have had VIDEO PROOF that she never even looked.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 07-21-2019 at 10:39 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KarlMarx View Post

Excellent, sir! Love it!

#2 - Puuuuuuuuhhhlease! It hasn't changed in like forever, so I don't see this changing anytime soon. I believe "personal responsibility" falls slightly in there while in addition to definitely being in #6. "I am sorry" and add in "I was or am wrong" - also not part of the vocabulary. I myself, having been wrong before, have apologized even here before, have stated that I was wrong before. Seen any of the liberals that have ever been here do so? I'd name names, but no reason not to use a brush here. Scabby, Pete, psycho.... of course more... Never have I seen any of them admit when they were wrong, even when proven wrong via facts against their opinions posted (pete may have once..). Never once seen them say they were sorry after being nasty with people and having fights, I guess they were ALWAYS right. It's just things not there.

I wonder if/when liberals hang together, just them, do they have that stuff in their vocabulary then? Is it purposely excluded later, or not in them? I think a bit of both.

#6. Personal responsibility again. Easy to spend on absolute crap, and make everything free - when debt and responsibility for certain and such things is something you couldn't care less about, or don't know about at all. And then when you are like that, you expect a free lunch with it.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I've wondered for a while, why do you think Millenials and Boomers are so at odds?

I suspect the Boomers started it. I know I am perplexed by a lot of their behavior, politics, and especially fashion choices.

"Hey I know; I'll shave the sides of my head, but leave it long on top!"

"Hey, I know, I'll tattoo most of my back, and then wear an elegant backless lacy wedding gown."

"I'm not going to go on actual "dates". or ask a girl out, or admit to being in a relationship. I will actually do all of those things, but I will just call it 'making a connection', or 'vibe-ing'.

After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

6. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I've wondered for a while, why do you think Millenials and Boomers are so at odds?

I suspect the Boomers started it. I know I am perplexed by a lot of their behavior, politics, and especially fashion choices.

"Hey I know; I'll shave the sides of my head, but leave it long on top!"

"Hey, I know, I'll tattoo most of my back, and then wear an elegant backless lacy wedding gown."

"I'm not going to go on actual "dates". or ask a girl out, or admit to being in a relationship. I will actually do all of those things, but I will just call it 'making a connection', or 'vibe-ing'.

Because when they got to the rebelling against the previous generation part, they left the common sense part out as well. Choose something yo just used as an example that makes sense.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

8. Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Millennials also are hating on vinyl siding.

-Abbey

10. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Millennials also are hating on vinyl siding.

Don't like the color?
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Don't like the color?
    I don’t actually know, but I’d guess it’s more the fake material?

-Abbey

13. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

I don’t actually know, but I’d guess it’s more the fake material?
    I know if you build a fire too close to it that it will melt

I've only been around vinyl siding once in my life. *That* was what I learned

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I love many of the millennials. Seems many people over 50 suddenly despair of the generations after them. I'm glad my parents could separate out the few anarchists in the Baby Boom, from the many more of us that wanted a better country.

I think there is a theme from the preamble about this...

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I love many of the millennials. Seems many people over 50 suddenly despair of the generations after them. I'm glad my parents could separate out the few anarchists in the Baby Boom, from the many more of us that wanted a better country.

I think there is a theme from the preamble about this...
    I like them when I need some tragic/sarcastic comedy because they are a hoot. If they just weren't real and allowed to vote ...
    Last edited by Gunny; 07-21-2019 at 06:06 PM.

17. Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I like them when I need some tragic/sarcastic comedy because they are a hoot. If they just weren't real and allowed to vote ...
    You're a curmudgeon, probably ingrained now.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

19. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

"Hooking up"... or "hangin' out."

I think millennials have been coddled, not to mention the low testosterone. Seems to me that when I increasingly hear young males talking on TV now, they set off my "gaydar." They may not be gay, but they sure sound like it.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 07-21-2019 at 07:29 PM.

21. Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Sure seems to me that many here haven't many dealings with the generation they are having so much fun with. Sort of like saying all conservatives are child molesters because of the ministers and their wives having sex with underage children. Or that they all would blow up abortion clinics. Or that they all would shoot at law enforcement because of some 'survivalists.'

How often both sides try to paint each others by those worst behaved. How often now are some doing that here regarding younger generations?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Sure seems to me that many here haven't many dealings with the generation they are having so much fun with. Sort of like saying all conservatives are child molesters because of the ministers and their wives having sex with underage children. Or that they all would blow up abortion clinics. Or that they all would shoot at law enforcement because of some 'survivalists.'

How often both sides try to paint each others by those worst behaved. How often now are some doing that here regarding younger generations?
    Pick an age. I got one. Which means their friends and cousins too.