Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Pick an age. I got one. Which means their friends and cousins too.
    Can't go from your son-in-law or what have you!

Go look at Trump's media gathering last week of conservative 'new media.' Nearly all were millenials. My kids and their spouses all fit into the age cohort, all are gainfully employed, contribute to the economy, are raising their children. Their friends run the gamut from very right to very left, not a whole lot different that most of my friends at the same ages, some even now. Much like my experience, all of them seem to moving towards 'more conservative' the older and more successful they get-the more responsibilities they have. Funny how that works.

My son is on the board of both his synagogue and his school district. My daughter is president of the PTA at the school her daughter attends.

Their friends are involved in the military, law, medicine, entrepreneurs, even politics.

Now those are some kids I know personally, again anecdotal. Abbey has a daughter that is in that age or just a bit younger. I'm guessing her and her friends are employed in the main.

Why it seems a good idea to condemn a generation on the basis of worst behaved, I'll never get the logic.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Sure seems to me that many here haven't many dealings with the generation they are having so much fun with. Sort of like saying all conservatives are child molesters because of the ministers and their wives having sex with underage children. Or that they all would blow up abortion clinics. Or that they all would shoot at law enforcement because of some 'survivalists.'

How often both sides try to paint each others by those worst behaved. How often now are some doing that here regarding younger generations?
    Not true. Our daughter is one, and her friends with whom we vacation and do lots of activities with are also.

In any event, what we are all commenting on is easily seen in the culture at large. Doesn’t apply to every one of them, of course.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

3. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Can't go from your son-in-law or what have you!

Go look at Trump's media gathering last week of conservative 'new media.' Nearly all were millenials. My kids and their spouses all fit into the age cohort, all are gainfully employed, contribute to the economy, are raising their children. Their friends run the gamut from very right to very left, not a whole lot different that most of my friends at the same ages, some even now. Much like my experience, all of them seem to moving towards 'more conservative' the older and more successful they get-the more responsibilities they have. Funny how that works.

My son is on the board of both his synagogue and his school district. My daughter is president of the PTA at the school her daughter attends.

Their friends are involved in the military, law, medicine, entrepreneurs, even politics.

Now those are some kids I know personally, again anecdotal. Abbey has a daughter that is in that age or just a bit younger. I'm guessing her and her friends are employed in the main.

Why it seems a good idea to condemn a generation on the basis of worst behaved, I'll never get the logic.
    *shrug* my oldest daughter is an Army vet and a school teach working on a Masters in Child Psychology (which will mean she really won't know anything about kids); youngest daughter as fruity left as you see on TV. Almost all of my Marines were millenials and I had very few bad ones.

The first thing I see and have thought since first time I heard it is the dates given for millenials. They go all the way back to my daughter and I see that as a completely seperate group from these cherry fruitloops all over my tube. If the former are letting the latter speak for them we don't have to look far to see who they learned it from.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Not true. Our daughter is one, and her friends with whom we vacation and do lots of activities with also.

In any event, what we are all commenting on is easily seen in the culture at large. Doesn’t apply to every one of them, of course.
    Abbey, all I'm saying is that your child, her friends, my children, their friends may well be the rule, not the exceptions.

That was my point.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    *shrug* my oldest daughter is an Army vet and a school teach working on a Masters in Child Psychology (which will mean she really won't know anything about kids); youngest daughter as fruity left as you see on TV. Almost all of my Marines were millenials and I had very few bad ones.

The first thing I see and have thought since first time I heard it is the dates given for millenials. They go all the way back to my daughter and I see that as a completely seperate group from these cherry fruitloops all over my tube. If the former are letting the latter speak for them we don't have to look far to see who they learned it from.

It's been ever thus. Heck of a difference between a 'baby boomer' born in '46 and one in '56 or one in '65. All are 'baby boom.' The one in '46 likely ended up with a draft number or was at Woodstock, or both. The one in '56 too young for Nam, but unlikely to be in the peace movement, again 'too young.' Don't even get us started how someone born in '65 has anything to do with the others.

I see zero going on regarding work ethic and the millennials. They 'as a group' have a lot of college debt if they went. It changes how they perceive the way things should 'be,' which is not perhaps the same as us.

I wouldn't give up on the group though. Don't have to agree with all, but then again, I don't agree with all in my age cohort or even did with my folks of the 'greatest generation.'

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Abbey, all I'm saying is that your child, her friends, my children, their friends may well be the rule, not the exceptions.

That was my point.
    Could be, but these guys I know are just as goofy about dating (and siding, lol).
    Yours being married are thankfully past that stage. For many reasons (you know how I feel!).
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Could be, but these guys I know are just as goofy about dating (and siding, lol).
    Yours being married are thankfully past that stage. For many reasons (you know how I feel!).
    I do think the cost of college is making most of those 'we know,' are causing them to marry later and same with kids. I think they are more practical and worried about their futures. My youngest as you know, just had his first child. His wife is lovely, liberal but I love her. The son, has been liberal in talk, but not so much in how he's always dealt with money. LOL! He's the one that graduated with less than $2k in debt-and in 4 years.

They've lived in the city since being together-though both raised in the burbs. There rent was over $2500 a month. His wife wants to buy in the city. They've yet to find a house that is in safe area and the work it would need within my son's skill set for under $1.5M. They make very good money, but not that good. Not when her school loans are over $250k. She works for a non-profit, domestic violence attorney. He keeps telling her, '1. We can live with your folks and save a down payment in a year to a year and a half for the mortgage payments we can afford. 2. You can use your Notre Dame law degree for a job that pays more. Volunteer at the non-profit 3. We can buy now, in the suburbs.' Right now they are living with her folks, since 6/1. So far, so good.

Not great choices, but practical. It's their time in their 30's. It's very different than their parents-I didn't have school loans, neither did the ex. Married at 25, Kendall at 26. Bought 1st house at 26. All 3 born by 30.

If the kids are going into trades, my guess is they are all set by 30, just as we were. The ones in trouble are those that chose to go to university, especially advanced degrees.