Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    Wow ... as you were ! I take it all back.

News just in ... Theresa May will chair another COBRA meeting over the tanker crisis, sometime today. So, she's not as inactive as I'd believed, folks.
    I was about to ask who exactly was running the country
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    It's a small, but 'telling' point: we've been shown pictures of Iran flying the Iranian flag on the tanker they've seized.

I hope Jeremy Hunt is taking notes. I somehow seriously doubt he thinks that Iran is a particularly belligerent power: evidence of belligerence is acknowledged, yes, but he thinks they can be reasoned with and good results will be obtained via diplomacy ... as if reason and moderation can be expected to guide Iranian thinking.

As for Boris Johnson v Jeremy Hunt ... Boris has been well ahead in support throughout this leadership contest. When the candidates were whittled down to just the final two contenders (I can't remember if it all started out with 12 of them, or 14), he had over half of the total possible votes ... that was when four contenders were in the game, with the bottom two disqualified from continuing.

Everyone expects Boris to win. It's seen as certain enough for his win to almost become a mere formality.

Hunt v Johnson ... who do I want to win ?

Hunt comes across as more personable. He's a clearer and more accomplished speaker. Everything about his manner, in fact, makes him seem to me to be the better, more competent, more 'Prime Ministerial', candidate.

Ah, but, if only his policies were better .. !

Boris Johnson is unequivocal, unlike Hunt. Boris says we'll leave the EU on 31st October, 'come-what-may'. That makes him a deserving winner, right there. Both candidates (with Hunt at one time a 'Remainer') say they're working to get Brexit done by Halloween, BUT, Hunt refuses to guarantee an exit by that date. A fatal flaw: so many people are crying out to finally get it DEALT WITH.

Boris quotes Gatt 24, para 5b, as a way we can exit but with minimal harm. It would enact WTO trading rules for us, but is designed to keep tariffs to and from Europe at zero for us, potentially for up to a decade. So, where trade is concerned ... we'd be free to finally do deals of our own, AND be cushioned from EU-inspired tariff wars ... IF ... the EU agreed to 5b activation.

Hunt, so far as I know, has no position on any of that (none I'm aware of, anyway). He's too focused on getting some sort of EU deal worked out. This is despite the EU refusing to offer one, or, saying it'll even consider any alternative to the one which Parliament has rejected THREE times.

News: Philip Hammond, our Chancellor, says he'll resign as Chancellor if Boris wins. Reasons:

1. Hammond was originally a Remainer (within the EU). He says he now respects our need to leave the EU, but ...
    2. .... will resign if Boris wins, because Boris wants a commitment from all future Cabinet ministers that they'll accept our exit by 31st October. Hammond opposes keeping to that deadline, 'come-what-may'.

Boris's approach is the one most respectful of the 2016 Referendum result. He comes across as a 'can do, therefore WILL do' candidate. Hunt does not. Much as he's doing over the tanker dispute with Iran ... he's more inclined to do deals and just fudge his way through difficulties.

We don't need that nonsense. So, I'm pro-Boris.

I've posted this before, by the way .. Boris was born in New York. If he ever chose to, he'd be entitled to claim American citizenship.
    Is that not what was thought of Sir Winston Churchill? Johnson looks like he uses Churchill as a fashion consultant, that's for sure

I am of the opinion that sometimes you just need an a-hole to get something done. Come what may, I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson gets dumped as soon as possible once he handles the dirty work just as Churchill was. History shows that once the gunfighter cleans up the town at the behest of the town, he's the first person the town gets rid of once their fear is gone.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Is that not what was thought of Sir Winston Churchill? Johnson looks like he uses Churchill as a fashion consultant, that's for sure

I am of the opinion that sometimes you just need an a-hole to get something done. Come what may, I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson gets dumped as soon as possible once he handles the dirty work just as Churchill was. History shows that once the gunfighter cleans up the town at the behest of the town, he's the first person the town gets rid of once their fear is gone.
    Johnson could be mistaken for Chris Matthews.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

4. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Johnson could be mistaken for Chris Matthews.
    That's awful

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Yep, nobody wants the sheep dog around until they need a sheep dog to run off the wolves. Once the wolves are gone, the sheep dog has to go. After all, he looks and acts like a wolf.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

7. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    Yep, nobody wants the sheep dog around until they need a sheep dog to run off the wolves. Once the wolves are gone, the sheep dog has to go. After all, he looks and acts like a wolf.
    Favoritist EVER

9. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Favoritist EVER

Great video clip my friend... I truly enjoyed it as it brought back memories of my own father.
    John Wayne was acting . But the character he played in that part was pretty much same as was my father.
    He spoke that way, acted that way -- and damn sure meant it.
    He taught me it is far better to die than to back down(as cowards die many deaths, a brave man only one).
    And also that one may only back down from a fight when the other man already has a gun pointed at you as you are yourself unarmed.
    When that happens its important to stay smart, stay alive and get the bastard later when he does not have the drop on you.
    Said it , lived it and he had the scars to prove it.. A fact... -Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.