Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Porch done, feedback?

The porch, stones and gravel are done, 2 days! I know it's just a small porch, as it's the backyard, but heaven for me!!

All that is left is for the Iron Works company in 2 weeks to come out and put in a sweet new railing. And before you complain about the green on the house - next job is a full house painting!!

Not cheap at all, but you get what you pay for!!

Hard to tell here, but coming into the yard was roots and dirt until you reach to the backyard point, then grass. I had this completely covered in rock, with 2" bluestone as the path. I purposely had them make it mis-aligned, partly because of the roots, and partly because I think it looks better that way. And yup, that's Porter peein in the background. He takes an hour as he HAS to pee on everything in sight, including the new stone the very instant he smelled it the first time. Just the middle here:

Angle on top of the porch toward gate. For hell of it, had him put 2 in outside of gate as well for our 2 garbage cans.

Directly facing the porch:

Side facing porch:

The top, with my Weber in the background - Wifey wants new one there too!

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Hell man, that looks awesome!

4. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

That looks great!

I just got done replacing my front porch and steps due to rain damage and rot.

I was going to jack out the old lumber with a floor jack but decided it was better to cut them
    out and use a wrecking bar to get the nails out.

Step-dad had made the mistake of painting redwood on a surface that would have foot traffic.
    Paint cracked and moisture got under it and caused it to rot.

I replaced it with pressure-treated lumber, and treated all the cuts I had to make
    with copper napthenate. I used deck screws instead of nails in case a piece needs replacing.
    Got some fine tuning to do, but this will outlive me.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

6. Likes jimnyc, Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I have begun the process of replacing my back steps on the side of the shop. Already pulled out 5 old rotten RR ties, but will have to dig out the last one. Then do some measuring and starting building forms for the cement. Maybe I can finish them in just a couple days. Depends on how hot it gets.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 07-25-2019 at 09:40 AM.

8. Likes jimnyc, Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Really nice! Gotta get you a nice chair for grill watching!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

10. Likes High_Plains_Drifter, jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Really nice! Gotta get you a nice chair for grill watching!
    We have a half basketball court in the yard, sort of, made out of black crappy pavement. And the backboard and hoop still work perfectly. I think - as I haven't touched in 10 years. I want that down.... and him to come back, redo the base in a much more square area, with great stone blocks like the top of the porch instead of pavement. Then with a small raised fire pit in the middle of it. And 2 retaining walls facing the yard, in case it rains and rises in the slightest, it will push it further towards the french drains we installed, and keep it drier in there.

Also, this way when we sell, and they ask about the advanced water and pumping system, I tell them that long ago we used to get a water piling up in yard and a little in basement. But we really wanted to build out the yard to fully enjoy it, and protect the pit in this manner. Maybe make them think a little less about any "flooding".
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

12. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    The porch, stones and gravel are done, 2 days! I know it's just a small porch, as it's the backyard, but heaven for me!!

All that is left is for the Iron Works company in 2 weeks to come out and put in a sweet new railing. And before you complain about the green on the house - next job is a full house painting!!

Not cheap at all, but you get what you pay for!!

Hard to tell here, but coming into the yard was roots and dirt until you reach to the backyard point, then grass. I had this completely covered in rock, with 2" bluestone as the path. I purposely had them make it mis-aligned, partly because of the roots, and partly because I think it looks better that way. And yup, that's Porter peein in the background. He takes an hour as he HAS to pee on everything in sight, including the new stone the very instant he smelled it the first time. Just the middle here:

Angle on top of the porch toward gate. For hell of it, had him put 2 in outside of gate as well for our 2 garbage cans.

Directly facing the porch:

Side facing porch:

The top, with my Weber in the background - Wifey wants new one there too!

You can come do my side yard. The pavers and gravel would be perfect. We are required to keep out trash cans behind the fence (gate). The SIL thinks it's just fine -n- dandy to have a mud pit from the driveway to the gate. Did I say "SIL" and "thinks" in the same sentence?

That looks pretty sharp.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

14. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    You can come do my side yard. The pavers and gravel would be perfect. We are required to keep out trash cans behind the fence (gate). The SIL thinks it's just fine -n- dandy to have a mud pit from the driveway to the gate. Did I say "SIL" and "thinks" in the same sentence?

That looks pretty sharp.
    Thanks!

But you don't want ME anywhere near this kind of work. I would do so wacky looking, and even ask them to do weird things like the stone out of order.

But perfect? You KNOW who you're conversing with!! Unless it's powered up, has a CPU and a motherboard - and also has a KB and mouse connected to it - and also has no Apple/Mac crap within 20 miles of it.... I'm your man, or your home or business network.

16. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

It looks great, Jim!

Until the railing is in (and maybe after) it would be safer and look nice if you can put a couple of potted plants/flowers along the edge.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

18. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Looks great man!

You should send them over to fix the front deck that one of the kids drove through at my house!
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.” —. Morticia Addams

20. Likes jimnyc, Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NT'sGirl View Post
    Looks great man!

You should send them over to fix the front deck that one of the kids drove through at my house!
    NOOOOO! Rick has enough apparently on his plate, and yourself... and now that?

Glad to see ya, Shar! Hope you guys enjoyed the cabin, and I hope you were there too for that fact! Hopefully I can get over there again before I croak! Like less than a year hopefully!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

NOOOOO! Rick has enough apparently on his plate, and yourself... and now that?

Glad to see ya, Shar! Hope you guys enjoyed the cabin, and I hope you were there too for that fact! Hopefully I can get over there again before I croak! Like less than a year hopefully!!

You and me both! I have been to the cabin once since you left...

Sam drove the truck into the front deck years ago actually, was kinda surprising to see the front of the truck IN the door but eh she only moved the deck a foot and took out the lower bedroom window.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.” —. Morticia Addams

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

You and me both! I have been to the cabin once since you left...

Sam drove the truck into the front deck years ago actually, was kinda surprising to see the front of the truck IN the door but eh she only moved the deck a foot and took out the lower bedroom window.
    Don't tell me you had to work while they went to the cabin again? LOL

That's what I figured, as I know it's only 7am already, and I didn't think you guys woke up, enjoyed breakfast and a little cleaning up, loaded things up, traveled from Talkeetna to Wasilla....

So I assume Rick is currently snoring in Talkeetna right now?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Don't tell me you had to work while they went to the cabin again? LOL

That's what I figured, as I know it's only 7am already, and I didn't think you guys woke up, enjoyed breakfast and a little cleaning up, loaded things up, traveled from Talkeetna to Wasilla....

So I assume Rick is currently snoring in Talkeetna right now?

Nope... he was up at 4 and heading for Barrow right now.
    I always have to work while he plays, on my days off I go to Barrow to watch him work lol

25. Likes jimnyc, Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Nope... he was up at 4 and heading for Barrow right now.
    I always have to work while he plays, on my days off I go to Barrow to watch him work lol
    Dang. Sounds like by the time he's finished up there he will be a billionaire, and also have brought them up to speed with NYC!!

27. Likes NT'sGirl liked this post