Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Default Hey men

In light of the “Bam” thread, who or what teaches you to act stoically when you hurt? Both physically and emotionally.
    Or is the answer just that you see your Dad acting that way, and emulate him? Does your son do the same?
    Or maybe it is just innate?
    Why do you feel it is necessary?
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

2. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

My Dad was a career military Vet.

He saw plenty of my aches and injuries but taught me to suck it
    up and keep marching, unless it was something major like when I
    split open my ankle with an axe when I was 18. He just said "You dumb Shit"!
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

4. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    In light of the “Bam” thread, who or what teaches you to act stoically when you hurt? Both physically and emotionally.
    Or is the answer just that you see your Dad acting that way, and emulate him? Does your son do the same?
    Or maybe it is just innate?
    Why do you feel it is necessary?
    Necessary. Because I'm not a wimp? I grew up in the military and all our dads were war vets still in. They didn't tolerate weakness and neither did we. Weak people get themselves killed and usually take some good people with them. If you are in charge? You start acting all weak and pussyish you'll kill morale and probably half your troops along with it. It just isn't tolerated.

Harsh games with harsh rules require harsh people.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Necessary. Because I'm not a wimp? I grew up in the military and all our dads were war vets still in. They didn't tolerate weakness and neither did we. Weak people get themselves killed and usually take some good people with them. If you are in charge? You start acting all weak and pussyish you'll kill morale and probably half your troops along with it. It just isn't tolerated.

Sort of like cooking. I've seriously cut myself twice-throwing on gauze and keep going. Same with burns. Once though, had to go and get 6 stitches in my hand after finishing dinner and dishes and the sucker kept bleeding for some reason. LOL!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Never more accurate words spoken, something most non-military or
    non- first responders do not realize.
    Last edited by Elessar; 07-30-2019 at 06:22 PM.

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

8. Thanks Gunny, Abbey Marie, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

You are stronger when you defeat pain. A man must be able to fight, that means fight the urge to cry out in pain or let pain defeat your purpose, your bravery, your willingness to do what needs to be done. Pain in mos cases is just another obstacle to be overcome.
    What I know is if I'd let pain stop me --I would have lost tons of fights.
    Losing is not an option unless one is knocked out, dead or totally incapacitated.
    Sons are taught this because courage, bravery, duty and oft even life depends upon it..
    My father and my grandfather can not be wrong about this.... ---Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

10. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default Nobody, Man, or Woman, can defeat real pain.

There are many different kinds of pain. Nobody is immune to it. I remember the pain when I first woke up, following my heart surgery. Thank goodness for pain drugs. I remember the three full days following my spinal surgery, at sea, aboard the USNS Comfort, Hospital Ship,
    during Operation Desert Storm, in the Persian Gulf....when the pain was so bad; touching the hair on my arms was painful.

Then, there's another kind of pain when you lose your parents, your brothers, and sister. Anyone know what I mean now?

And finally. There's that indescribable Pain felt by EVERY MOTHER. Pain No Man will ever have, or understand.

So, we men are not exempt from feeling pain. And we all know it. Hearing someone like our Father say "Suck it up!" Doesn't take away the pain...when FATHER leaves the room.
    I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.
    Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by icansayit View Post
    There are many different kinds of pain. Nobody is immune to it. I remember the pain when I first woke up, following my heart surgery. Thank goodness for pain drugs. I remember the three full days following my spinal surgery, at sea, aboard the USNS Comfort, Hospital Ship,
    during Operation Desert Storm, in the Persian Gulf....when the pain was so bad; touching the hair on my arms was painful.

Then, there's another kind of pain when you lose your parents, your brothers, and sister. Anyone know what I mean now?

And finally. There's that indescribable Pain felt by EVERY MOTHER. Pain No Man will ever have, or understand.

So, we men are not exempt from feeling pain. And we all know it. Hearing someone like our Father say "Suck it up!" Doesn't take away the pain...when FATHER leaves the room.
    No one can say for another how one registers and/or reacts to pain. This is a spinoff of the one from my taking a spill. My knee hit the tile. It hurt. I posted as much. I said "damn, that hurt". Sat up and my foot lopped into the cat box so after ensuring no cat feces was on my shoes, I looked ath my knee and I made a smartass remark to my granddaughter that it was going to leave a mark. About as matter of factly as it's typed. Speaking solely for me, I just don't show hurt.

Not just because it's considered a "manly weakness" but because it will tell the enemy how to get to you. And when I say "enemy", I mean "people", I have no real other explanation.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

13. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

No one can say for another how one registers and/or reacts to pain. This is a spinoff of the one from my taking a spill. My knee hit the tile. It hurt. I posted as much. I said "damn, that hurt". Sat up and my foot lopped into the cat box so after ensuring no cat feces was on my shoes, I looked ath my knee and I made a smartass remark to my granddaughter that it was going to leave a mark. About as matter of factly as it's typed. Speaking solely for me, I just don't show hurt.

Not just because it's considered a "manly weakness" but because it will tell the enemy how to get to you. And when I say "enemy", I mean "people", I have no real other explanation.
    I usually say "Ouch. That sucked" with a few other dressings and comments!

A Deplorable!

15. Thanks Abbey Marie, Gunny thanked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Societal pressure (which is represented well in some of the above posts ‘I’m not a wimp, I’m strong, that’s weakness’ etc) and the great payoff for these kinds of pressures is male suicide statistics, and death by accident statistics.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

17. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Societal pressure (which is represented well in some of the above posts ‘I’m not a wimp, I’m strong, that’s weakness’ etc) and the great payoff for these kinds of pressures is male suicide statistics, and death by accident statistics.
    No the --"payoff" (as you called it) is that people like you have had their freedom/liberties defended by people that believed being strong and defending others requires developing a high resistance to wimping out due to pain.
    Seems you attempt to glorify wimping out in males.
    This modern day idea that men are to be pansies and all feely touchy, gaylike -- truly sickens me.

No Noir, a man by Nature , nurture and biological design is to be strong, tough and a leader.
    That truth and reality must really burst your little bubble, so go ahead -go cry and moan as if a small child.-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

19. Thanks Elessar, SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I can only speak for myself. For me, I do indeed feel pain and, depending on circumstances, am not afraid to show it. If the "mission" I am on is critical, I will carry on despite the pain. If it is not, I will tend to whatever wound I now have and then carry on. I have stitched myself up, applied a splint to my own broken leg then walked 3 miles out of the jungle to an extraction point. I have also pulled every muscle in one leg and laid on the couch for two days doing nothing except popping pain pills. Depends on circumstances for me.

I will say, if you are injured in some way, GET IT ATTENDED to as soon as possible. It would be far worse (in my opinion) to be injured and ignore it which in turn could lead to being incapacitated long term. I would much rather take a short time to heal up than spend the rest of my life handicapped in some way if I can avoid it.

I will also say that some of my best cussing comes out over a stubbed toe. If I am REALLY hurt, I tend to remain silent. That's how my kids know I am really hurt... no cussing, maybe a slight groan or two. That's when they worry. If I am cussing a blue streak, they laugh.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

21. Thanks Abbey Marie, Gunny, Elessar thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Thanks for the responses. I get that there is a need to be strong and tough in situations when people are looking to you as a leader. Or even to set an example. But why in your own home, say, with your wife? I think this goes beyond situational toughness. My experience is that men of our generation just wouldn’t dream of showing any weakness. The reason(s) for that is what my intellectual curiosity wants to know.

Maybe it’s just not something you can turn on and off like a spigot.
    Or to Noir’s point, never discount peer pressure.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I get that there is a need to be strong and tough in situations when people are looking to you as a leader. Or even to set an example. But why in your own home, say, with your wife? I think this goes beyond situational toughness. My experience is that men of our generation just wouldn’t dream of showing any weakness. The reason(s) for that is what my intellectual curiosity wants to know.

Maybe it’s just not something you can turn on and off like a spigot.
    Or to Noir’s point, never discount peer pressure.
    Simple, my wife married me in part because she knows that I am a strong man who would never ever let my own personal pain keep me from protecting her and our children.

May as well ask her "why do you still wear makeup and shave your legs girl, he's married you" LOL

24. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Any more excuses for being a wimp? Just wondering ...

26. Likes Elessar liked this post