Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I'm for men acting like men, not acting like hormone raging adolescents and most are like the former. No one thinks that breaking into fights or getting in people's faces for the slightest perceived disrespect is ok. I've never been attracted to the type of man that tells me what I should like or what I should do. (Yeah, I know. I. hide. that. well.)

However, there are many things that make men and women different, I enjoy those differences. At 5'1" many things are out of my reach. LOL! With few exceptions, even 'short' men are 5'5" and that helps! Upper body strength is something most women lack compared to most men. Surprising how often that difference comes into play during times of danger. Think of major flooding and the men that are able to carry women and children and exhausted men through raging waters. Those that are able to pull someone into a boat or even push them into a boat when they, themselves are in the water. Yes, women would do so too, if they are able. Most are not.

What pisses me off about the whole 'toxic masculinity' or 'getting in touch with the feminine side' is that it's telling men, even more importantly boys, that they are naturally bad. They are not. Yes, we've left the hunting and gathering stage, most of the time; yet, it is wrong to tell men or boys to 'sit still' like women/girls, every bit as much as it has been wrong to tell women that they are anti-feminist if they choose to stay home or care more for their family than career.

Some examples of why 'masculinity' is not something to denigrate:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-...AEQGV3?ocid=sf

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...IVE-MILES.html

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/he...b-db4c79828829

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/08/us/un...rnd/index.html

Just from the last couple of weeks.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

This thread took a bit of a turn, as threads will do. But last night the original point of the thread came roaring back to life.

We have a raccoon that visits our very unfinished attic/crawl space. Before we exactly knew what was up there, our exterminator set large spring traps, to catch squirrels I think.

Up the ladder goes Russ to bring down a suitcase for our upcoming vacation. I can hear the ladder and the trap door open.

A minute later he comes in the bedroom to use the master bath sink. Quietly. Calmly.

Our daughter comes in and nervously asks if he is ok. I say, “He’s fine, why?”.
    She answers, “One of the traps snapped on his finger”.

This is exactly what I was asking about. No other men around. No small children. No enemies. No need to set an example, or hide any “weakness”. Just his wife and daughter. Yet, you wouldn’t even know he was hurt. I appreciate all of your answers, but I still am not hearing why men feel the need to be so stoic when there seems to be no need to. Right or wrong, the closest to an answer I saw was Noir’s answer, whose argument I think basically boiled down to societal/peer pressure, with a touch of anti-machismo. I think it goes deeper than that, but it’s just a guess.

I do agree with Kathianne- I like you guys pretty much the way you are (less crudeness might be nice) and I am definitely not criticizing. But that was is not the original point. It is just my nature to try to understand why people act the way they do. I find it fascinating.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I'm for men acting like men, not acting like hormone raging adolescents and most are like the former. No one thinks that breaking into fights or getting in people's faces for the slightest perceived disrespect is ok. I've never been attracted to the type of man that tells me what I should like or what I should do. (Yeah, I know. I. hide. that. well.)

However, there are many things that make men and women different, I enjoy those differences. At 5'1" many things are out of my reach. LOL! With few exceptions, even 'short' men are 5'5" and that helps! Upper body strength is something most women lack compared to most men. Surprising how often that difference comes into play during times of danger. Think of major flooding and the men that are able to carry women and children and exhausted men through raging waters. Those that are able to pull someone into a boat or even push them into a boat when they, themselves are in the water. Yes, women would do so too, if they are able. Most are not.

What pisses me off about the whole 'toxic masculinity' or 'getting in touch with the feminine side' is that it's telling men, even more importantly boys, that they are naturally bad. They are not. Yes, we've left the hunting and gathering stage, most of the time; yet, it is wrong to tell men or boys to 'sit still' like women/girls, every bit as much as it has been wrong to tell women that they are anti-feminist if they choose to stay home or care more for their family than career.

Some examples of why 'masculinity' is not something to denigrate:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-...AEQGV3?ocid=sf

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...IVE-MILES.html

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/he...b-db4c79828829

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/08/us/un...rnd/index.html

Just from the last couple of weeks.
    My wife and I met because I stepped in when her at the time boyfriend was beating on her in public. If I hadn't been "masculine" well A) who knows what that guy would have done to her and B) I wouldn't have met the most perfect woman in existence

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

-------------------

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    -------------------
    I know. I do enjoy that.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I know. I do enjoy that.
    You made a good funny... tickled my funny bone...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Anything new to add, or anyone else want to chime in?
    @NightTrain ?
    @Evmetro ?
    @jimnyc ?
    @Black Diamond ?
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey