Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I get that there is a need to be strong and tough in situations when people are looking to you as a leader. Or even to set an example. But why in your own home, say, with your wife? I think this goes beyond situational toughness. My experience is that men of our generation just wouldn’t dream of showing any weakness. The reason(s) for that is what my intellectual curiosity wants to know.

Maybe it’s just not something you can turn on and off like a spigot.
    Or to Noir’s point, never discount peer pressure.
    I don't recall doing that with my wife. Just the opposite, as a matter of fact. Broke my ankle rock climbing and I sat on the ground and laughed my ass off for a good 10 minutes Then again, DO keep in mind I consider women a weakness

I think CSM said it best: it depends on the situation.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

2. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes Elessar liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I don't recall doing that with my wife. Just the opposite, as a matter of fact. Broke my ankle rock climbing and I sat on the ground and laughed my ass off for a good 10 minutes Then again, DO keep in mind I consider women a weakness

I think CSM said it best: it depends on the situation.

I just don't react to pain externally. Karate men bleed on the inside .

Bonus points if anyone gets that movie reference.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

FB4D5B25-B746-4792-8B2E-F83C03390AD4.jpeg

Saw this and thought of this thread - everywhere and at all times the fear of a man ‘being seen as a wimp’ flows through our culture, even in the most highly choreographed example of a film set.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post

Saw this and thought of this thread - everywhere and at all times the fear of a man ‘being seen as a wimp’ flows through our culture, even in the most highly choreographed example of a film set.
    Yeah, because PRETENDING to be a bad ass is EXACTLY like actually BEING a bad ass! There is a big difference between horsing around for entertainment purposes and having to be a bit tough because other's lives depend on you...
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

6. Likes Gunny liked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    Yeah, because PRETENDING to be a bad ass is EXACTLY like actually BEING a bad ass! There is a big difference between horsing around for entertainment purposes and having to be a bit tough because other's lives depend on you...
    The point is that the culture regarding being “tough” is to a point where some people (like those in the tweet) don’t even want to portray a character that might not be as tough as those around them.

Somewhere amid all the fakery is a very real insight into the mentality of ‘not being seen to be a wimp’
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

The point is that the culture regarding being “tough” is to a point where some people (like those in the tweet) don’t even want to portray a character that might not be as tough as those around them.

Somewhere amid all the fakery is a very real insight into the mentality of ‘not being seen to be a wimp’
    Oh I get it.... being "masculine" in this day and age is a bad thing. Having any bit of "toughness" is a bad thing. Being white male is even worse.

Tough times gives us tough men. Tough men bring us better times. Better times gives us softer men. Softer men bring us tough times. Funny how that works.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

9. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, SassyLady, Gunny thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter, Gunny liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Noir, as you in your liberal ideology attempt to vilify men being tough, you sit safely and comfortably in your space now because others sacrificed, died and were injured defending that peace you have not enough awareness to truly appreciate.
    A sad sad, case you are--brainwashed and so proud to be a wimp......
    Toughness is an admirable character asset when its used to defend others and maintain peace and freedom.
    That you belittle it, speaks volumes to so many of us, that know just how very, very important that it truly is.
    Keeping the wolves at bay-- never enters a liberal's mind, as their fantasy world clouds any logical and realistic thinking. --Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Those are all cases of an ACTOR protecting their BRAND Noir and have nothing to do with this topic at all. If Vin Diesel's brand were "the guy who gets beat up" would that mean he advocated men getting beaten up? Of course not. It's called FICTION>

12. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

There's a low testosterone little sissy right there - - - ^ ^ ^

If I bang myself pretty good, which comes with the territory of the careers I've had in my life, I usually just pop off a quick, "SON OF A BITCH," and then press on. If it's something that's not that bad I usually say something sarcastic like, "oh sure, bang my head, that's exactly what I needed to do." In any case, it just doesn't do any good or make pain go away to act like a baby. I've had my throat cut open and a nickel sized hole drilled in my cervical spine, and now 4 of my 7 cervical vertebra are one piece. I've had a stainless steel tube about the size of your little finger, yeah, a lung drain, shoved right through my ribs into my right lung while I was awake, and later had that lung cut open. They nearly hacked me in two, yeah, that hurt, for a long time. But, whatever, man up, it hurts, screw it, press on.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-02-2019 at 12:35 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Oh I get it.... being "masculine" in this day and age is a bad thing. Having any bit of "toughness" is a bad thing. Being white male is even worse.

Tough times gives us tough men. Tough men bring us better times. Better times gives us softer men. Softer men bring us tough times. Funny how that works.
    You must be the fourth person in as many weeks I have heard say ‘tough times tough men means soft times soft men...etc’ idk what the credit is to that soundbite but it has clearly been very successful in spreading.

As as per your first point, not everything that is masculine is bad, but look at some of the replies in this thread, the negatives are right on show in post after post.
    Last edited by Noir; 08-02-2019 at 09:45 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

You must be the fourth person in as many weeks I have heard say ‘tough times tough men means soft times soft men...etc’ idk what the credit is to that soundbite but it has clearly been very successful in spreading.

As as per your first point, not everything that is masculine is bad, but look at some of the replies in this thread, the negatives are right on show in post after post.
    The "negatives" indicate (at least to me) that some do not agree with your opinion. As to the soundbite, I heard that long, long ago so it's not new.
    Thomas Jefferson

16. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Gunny liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Because generally speaking that saying is true.

Compare 18 year olds from 1941 to 18 year old today.

There's not doubt that today's 18 year olds are pussies compared to their grandfathers.

18. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

The "negatives" indicate (at least to me) that some do not agree with your opinion. As to the soundbite, I heard that long, long ago so it's not new.
    Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    Because generally speaking that saying is true.

Compare 18 year olds from 1941 to 18 year old today.

There's not doubt that today's 18 year olds are pussies compared to their grandfathers.
    Fair enough - seem just to be happenstance that I’ve heard it almost word for word several times in the last few weeks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I'm for men acting like men, not acting like hormone raging adolescents and most are like the former. No one thinks that breaking into fights or getting in people's faces for the slightest perceived disrespect is ok. I've never been attracted to the type of man that tells me what I should like or what I should do. (Yeah, I know. I. hide. that. well.)

However, there are many things that make men and women different, I enjoy those differences. At 5'1" many things are out of my reach. LOL! With few exceptions, even 'short' men are 5'5" and that helps! Upper body strength is something most women lack compared to most men. Surprising how often that difference comes into play during times of danger. Think of major flooding and the men that are able to carry women and children and exhausted men through raging waters. Those that are able to pull someone into a boat or even push them into a boat when they, themselves are in the water. Yes, women would do so too, if they are able. Most are not.

What pisses me off about the whole 'toxic masculinity' or 'getting in touch with the feminine side' is that it's telling men, even more importantly boys, that they are naturally bad. They are not. Yes, we've left the hunting and gathering stage, most of the time; yet, it is wrong to tell men or boys to 'sit still' like women/girls, every bit as much as it has been wrong to tell women that they are anti-feminist if they choose to stay home or care more for their family than career.

Some examples of why 'masculinity' is not something to denigrate:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-...AEQGV3?ocid=sf

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...IVE-MILES.html

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/he...b-db4c79828829

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/08/us/un...rnd/index.html

Just from the last couple of weeks.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

21. Likes SassyLady, Gunny liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

This thread took a bit of a turn, as threads will do. But last night the original point of the thread came roaring back to life.

We have a raccoon that visits our very unfinished attic/crawl space. Before we exactly knew what was up there, our exterminator set large spring traps, to catch squirrels I think.

Up the ladder goes Russ to bring down a suitcase for our upcoming vacation. I can hear the ladder and the trap door open.

A minute later he comes in the bedroom to use the master bath sink. Quietly. Calmly.

Our daughter comes in and nervously asks if he is ok. I say, “He’s fine, why?”.
    She answers, “One of the traps snapped on his finger”.

This is exactly what I was asking about. No other men around. No small children. No enemies. No need to set an example, or hide any “weakness”. Just his wife and daughter. Yet, you wouldn’t even know he was hurt. I appreciate all of your answers, but I still am not hearing why men feel the need to be so stoic when there seems to be no need to. Right or wrong, the closest to an answer I saw was Noir’s answer, whose argument I think basically boiled down to societal/peer pressure, with a touch of anti-machismo. I think it goes deeper than that, but it’s just a guess.

I do agree with Kathianne- I like you guys pretty much the way you are (less crudeness might be nice) and I am definitely not criticizing. But that was is not the original point. It is just my nature to try to understand why people act the way they do. I find it fascinating.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

23. Thanks Kathianne, Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post