Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    We still don't get charged for it. Not in San Antonio, Tx anyway. Downtown? You bet. You have private parking or you pay. But that is a commercial area.

If people were charged for parking on the street in the US it would probably pay off our deficit. Or cause people to sell their vehicles; which, goes right back to the OP's point. Or, it would cause a rebellion
    So your system is the same as ours - living in a commercial area without personal car parking requires a paid permit.
    Last edited by Noir; 08-05-2019 at 10:47 AM.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    So your system is the same as ours - living in a commercial area without personal car parking requires a paid permit.
    Mostly not. There's street parking and most apartment buildings have levels of parking. Most of the big businesses do too.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Mostly not. There's street parking and most apartment buildings have levels of parking. Most of the big businesses do too.
    yeah it’s mostly not here too - like I don’t know anyone who has to pay for a parking permit (not even my mum who lives in a city and her entire area has zero off-street parking) but I’m aware of them existing some places.

Also you're probably in a better position to have parking in the States even in much more urban areas just due to the difference in development cycles between American and British cities.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

The only time I ever pay to park right now is at airport. Yes, there are places downtown where parking meters are used, or parking in garages, but you can still find restaurants with free parking if you know where to look.

What I don't like is being fined for not wanting to be a part of the herd.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

5. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    The only time I ever pay to park right now is at airport. Yes, there are places downtown where parking meters are used, or parking in garages, but you can still find restaurants with free parking if you know where to look.

What I don't like is being fined for not wanting to be a part of the herd.
    Yeah, even in Chicago if you're visiting, you can find street parking unless it's snowing. LOL! In the snow people put chairs, tables, etc., after they clear their space.

You might have to walk some, but you can find the parking.

I'd pay for parking if going to the theater, simply because of shoes and late exit. Other than that? Nah.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

7. Likes SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yeah, even in Chicago if you're visiting, you can find street parking unless it's snowing. LOL! In the snow people put chairs, tables, etc., after they clear their space.

You might have to walk some, but you can find the parking.

I'd pay for parking if going to the theater, simply because of shoes and late exit. Other than that? Nah.
    The only time I pay to park is when going to a Razorback football or basketball games, the University has limited parking near the stadiums, all of it reserved and or pay to park, hell even if you park off campus if you want to be within 5 miles of the stadium, you'll pay. There are businesses and homes near campus that charge upwards of $20 per vehicle to park during a game.

If you've even been the University of Arkansas you know that walking more than a mile to or from your vehicle is a piss poor alternative due to the hills.

I'll just pay for the parking pass along with my season tickets, My spot is about 500 feet from the Basketball Arena , maybe 1500 feet from the football stadi.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Greta Thunberg will one day be Mayor of London, of course she'll have to first convert to Islam. I hope she enacts a soccer ball kicking tax, one pound a kick, since kicking a soccer ball causes sweating, which in turn causes Global Warming and smog. Londoners are stark raving mad about soccer, so I believe they can kick their way to sustainability in no time. I see the United States enacting a similar 'baseball bat swinging tax' should Bernie Sanders or Al Gore make it into the Oval Office. Keep hope alive.