Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Default Supreme Court Weighs Second Amendment Showdown After Mass Shootings

U.S.
    Supreme Court Weighs Second Amendment Showdown After Mass Shootings
    Bloomberg Greg Stohr,Bloomberg 4 hours ago

(Bloomberg) -- As mass shootings revive the U.S. debate over gun policy, the Supreme Court is weighing whether to go forward with a Second Amendment showdown for the first time in a decade.

The justices in January said they would hear a challenge to New York City rules that sharply limited where licensed handguns could be taken while locked and unloaded. Three city handgun owners said the regulations were the most extreme firearm-transportation restrictions in the country.

But then the city loosened its rules -- and said the case should be dismissed because there was nothing left for the court to decide. Gun-rights advocates called the city’s move a transparent effort to avoid a ruling that would bolster the right to bear arms nationwide.

The court could say this month what it will do with the case. It will be acting against the backdrop of gun massacres that killed 31 people last weekend in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio -- and ratcheted up the political acrimony in Washington. Congress has passed only incremental gun legislation despite heavy public support for some measures such as universal background checks.

A decision by the Supreme Court to forge ahead with the New York case would mean a ruling next year in the heat of the presidential campaign.

Ironically, a decision to drop the case could open the way to an even bigger ruling in the nine-month term that starts in October. The justices could take up a more sweeping New Jersey case they have been holding while they consider the New York City dispute. The New Jersey case centers on the right to carry a loaded handgun in public -- an issue that has divided federal appeals courts.

New Jersey is one of seven states, including California and New York, that bar most people from carrying weapons in public. New Jersey law requires people to show a “justifiable need” to get a carry permit -- a standard critics say very few people can meet.

The court also will be deciding in the coming months whether to consider bolstering the gun industry’s legal shield. Gunmaker Remington Arms Co. is asking the justices to block a lawsuit by family members of victims of the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting in Connecticut.

Long Wait

Gun-rights supporters have been pressing the court for years to take up another Second Amendment case. The court hasn’t heard one since it threw out a Chicago handgun ban in 2010, two years after it ruled for the first time that the Constitution protects individual firearm rights. The court could become more receptive to pro-gun arguments with the addition of the newest justice, Brett Kavanaugh.

For now, the question is whether the court will rule in the New York case, even though the city said in court papers Monday that the challengers have received “everything they have sought in this lawsuit.”

Under the New York law, people with a licensed handgun at home were allowed to take it to one of seven shooting ranges in the city, but almost nowhere else. Weapons had to be locked and unloaded during travel, and ammunition had to be put in a separate container.

The residents who sued along with an advocacy group said they wanted to be able to take their handguns to more convenient target ranges outside the city and, in the case of a Staten Island man, to his second home.

The city and its supporters say those things are permissible after changes to New York City’s regulations and a related state law.

”There’s really no reason for the court to carry on with this issue,” said Adam Winkler, a professor at UCLA Law School who wrote a book on the fight over the Second Amendment.

Wasting Time

The residents said even the revised regulations are too strict, forbidding a handgun owner from stopping on the way out of town, requiring written permission to take a weapon to a gunsmith and precluding transport to a summer rental house. They urged the Supreme Court not to reward New York’s “undisguised effort to avoid a precedent-setting loss.”

New York state headed off a different Supreme Court clash earlier this year when it repealed a law banning so-called gravity knives -- easily opened with the flick of a wrist -- before the justices could say whether they would hear the appeal. The justices then turned away the challenge.

The gun-transportation case is different because the court has already agreed to hear it, said Erik Jaffe, a Washington lawyer who filed a brief opposing the restrictions. A federal appeals court upheld the restrictions.

“You’ve now wasted a whole bunch of time and forced people to write up a brief at the Supreme Court,” Jaffe said.

Should the Supreme Court press ahead, arguments would probably be in December or early next year, with a decision by the end of its term in June.

That timetable would push any consideration of the New Jersey case into the following term. Given the divide among federal appeals courts, Winkler said that case will be a strong candidate for review regardless of what happens with the New York fight.

“There’s got to be a pretty good likelihood they take the New Jersey case at the end of the day,” Winkler said.

Michael R. Bloomberg, founder of Bloomberg News parent Bloomberg LP, is a donor to groups that support gun control, including Everytown for Gun Safety.

The case is New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v. New York, 18-280.

(Describes Sandy Hook case in eighth paragraph)

To contact the reporter on this story: Greg Stohr in Washington at gstohr@bloomberg.net

To contact the editors responsible for this story: Joe Sobczyk at jsobczyk@bloomberg.net, Laurie Asséo, Anna Edgerton

For more articles like this, please visit us at bloomberg.com

©2019 Bloomberg L.P.
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Wise consideration must be the path here.

Back in my early career days, for me to carry a .45 or a long gun on an LE boarding required a background check
    and mental health examination. Then came "Shoot, No Shoot" training, then a police pistol course.

It is not that difficult if common sense is applied.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

3. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    It is not that difficult if common sense is applied.
    Yet mass shooting after mass shooting is taking place, while common sense is off adrift somewhere.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Yet mass shooting after mass shooting is taking place, while common sense is off adrift somewhere.
    Very true, for example, A little common sense tells anyone that guns are not the problem, but............

6. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    Very true, for example, A little common sense tells anyone that guns are not the problem, but............
    But that would require two things the left seems to abhor: personal responsibility, and the belief that supernatural evil exists.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    Exactly, it’s video games, or dancing (especially the foxtrot - Scandalous!)
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Exactly, it’s video games, or dancing (especially the foxtrot - Scandalous!)
    I think it's Lefties.

Seriously ... imagine an American society where every American woke up, one day, to find not a trace of any Leftie pundit, any Leftie politician, any operating Leftie media outlet, any Leftie judge (.. amazing that you can have these !!), any Leftie outfit (e.g the ACLU) in existence, to foment further agitations and attempted indoctrinations.

What a peaceful society would be in prospect !!!
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

10. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I was not accusing those shooters of having common sense - nor was I accusing the weapons used of having common sense.
    Shooters like that have sick minds, plain and simple.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

12. Thanks Drummond, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    I was not accusing those shooters of having common sense - nor was I accusing the weapons used of having common sense.
    Shooters like that have sick minds, plain and simple.
    and people with “sick minds” are being given guns.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

and people with “sick minds” are being given guns.
    Why can't we be more civilized like the kingdom of Sadiq Khan and make this country safe for knife and vehicle attacks by people with 'sick minds"?
    Last edited by FakeNewsSux; 08-09-2019 at 01:28 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FakeNewsSux View Post
    Why can we be more civilized like the kingdom of Sadiq Khan and make this country safe for knife and vehicle attacks by people with 'sick minds"?
    Certainly more fun to debate guns with a British citizen, but what are you good with that the President appears to be considering?

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Certainly more fun to debate guns with a British citizen, but what are you good with that the President appears to be considering?
    I'm simply fed up with the posturing and virtue signaling by both sides. What we need to do is try enforcing the laws that are already on the books. I also feel that the only true solution is a moral reawakening in this society. Reduce the attacks on religion by the state, encourage rather than work to destroy the nuclear family and in the interim, nationwide concealed carry linked to proper training to reduce the impact of 'out of control' events such as those witnessed last weekend.

17. Thanks Kathianne, Mr. P thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie, Mr. P liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I'm simply fed up with the posturing and virtue signaling by both sides. What we need to do is try enforcing the laws that are already on the books. I also feel that the only true solution is a moral reawakening in this society. Reduce the attacks on religion by the state, encourage rather than work to destroy the nuclear family and in the interim, nationwide concealed carry linked to proper training to reduce the impact of 'out of control' events such as those witnessed last weekend.
    Do you think the president can sell that? That he would attempt to? If not him, who?

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Do you think the president can sell that? That he would attempt to? If not him, who?
    I believe that he could easily sell it to his followers (roughly half of the population) but would be branded as a do nothing Pollyanna by the rest.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I believe that he could easily sell it to his followers (roughly half of the population) but would be branded as a do nothing Pollyanna by the rest.
    I think you misjudge the reaction of those who would not agree. They would consider that a major escalation.