Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Default Collectibles

Am having a convo with a friend about collectibles. well, football cards to be exact. I busted out my 68-74 football card collection. First thing that happened is the shoebox that is older than the cards disintegrated

Anyway, who invented this animal called "collectibles"? I never heard of it until the late 80s. Did I just not get the memo? he's talking plastic protective covers for card and I'm talking shoebox with teams individually divided with rubber bands.

A brand new, in the box, never opened and box not damaged 1964 GI Joe will go for several grand now. Maybe it was being poor and having very little but GI Joe in 1965 went from the box to the battlefield (aka back yard). The idea of having a toy and not playing with it would have been like trying to explain the theory of relativity to me at 5 years old.

Got a bunch of old Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars from then too. Used. A lot

So who, when and where did buying something and shelving it turn into a "hobby"? Or ... any of y'all older folks hear of this back then? Even now when I think of the trade off, I think I'd have still opened the box. I didn't play with many toys because I didn't have many. Guns, tools, GI Joe and cars pretty much covers it. I don't know that the trade-off of countless hours of entertainment would be worth it.
    Last edited by Gunny; 08-10-2019 at 10:24 AM.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke