Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Default Collectibles

Am having a convo with a friend about collectibles. well, football cards to be exact. I busted out my 68-74 football card collection. First thing that happened is the shoebox that is older than the cards disintegrated

Anyway, who invented this animal called "collectibles"? I never heard of it until the late 80s. Did I just not get the memo? he's talking plastic protective covers for card and I'm talking shoebox with teams individually divided with rubber bands.

A brand new, in the box, never opened and box not damaged 1964 GI Joe will go for several grand now. Maybe it was being poor and having very little but GI Joe in 1965 went from the box to the battlefield (aka back yard). The idea of having a toy and not playing with it would have been like trying to explain the theory of relativity to me at 5 years old.

Got a bunch of old Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars from then too. Used. A lot

So who, when and where did buying something and shelving it turn into a "hobby"? Or ... any of y'all older folks hear of this back then? Even now when I think of the trade off, I think I'd have still opened the box. I didn't play with many toys because I didn't have many. Guns, tools, GI Joe and cars pretty much covers it. I don't know that the trade-off of countless hours of entertainment would be worth it.
    Last edited by Gunny; 08-10-2019 at 10:24 AM.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

2. Likes Kathianne, FakeNewsSux, SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I have a lot that could be considered collectibles.

Matchbox vehicles.

Construction toys (metal), given to son.

HO railroad.

My stamp collection which is huge, specializing in USA Stamps

I got my son a lot of Lego's and original printings of the Harry Potter book series.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

4. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    I have a lot that could be considered collectibles.

Matchbox vehicles.

Construction toys (metal), given to son.

HO railroad.

My stamp collection which is huge, specializing in USA Stamps

I got my son a lot of Lego's and original printings of the Harry Potter book series.
    Sounds like you had an Erector Set. Had that

My point is they were toys. We played with them. That devalues them as collectibles. So, do you not play with your toys for what they might be worth in 30 years? Or do you have a good time at the moment?

I have some new in box stuff for my kids/grandkids. All my stuff has mileage on it except I DID buy some reproduction "original" GI Joes and Hot Wheels cars. Not worht as much as the originals, but my daughter will get them and can figure out all that crap. The only thing I can remember buying as collectibles was shot glass and I damned sure used those
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Sounds like you had an Erector Set. Had that

My point is they were toys. We played with them. That devalues them as collectibles. So, do you not play with your toys for what they might be worth in 30 years? Or do you have a good time at the moment?

I have some new in box stuff for my kids/grandkids. All my stuff has mileage on it except I DID buy some reproduction "original" GI Joes and Hot Wheels cars. Not worht as much as the originals, but my daughter will get them and can figure out all that crap. The only thing I can remember buying as collectibles was shot glass and I damned sure used those
    Point well taken. All will eventually go to my son. He has not shown an interest in the stamps yet, but it's
    estimated value is over $10K.

Shot glasses I collected as souvenirs got damaged in an earthquake, so are pretty much worthless.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

7. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Point well taken. All will eventually go to my son. He has not shown an interest in the stamps yet, but it's
    estimated value is over $10K.

Shot glasses I collected as souvenirs got damaged in an earthquake, so are pretty much worthless.
    I'm trying to decide if losing your shot glasses to an earthquae is worse than losing them in a divorce

I had at least one from every state I had been in which was about 40 or so and some novelty ones of course. The ex claimed them like she did the photo collection although she couldn't even operate my camera People remembering things that never happened is annoying

The football cards are from when I was pre-teen/early teen. It was part of our "social media" back then I really didn't collect much of anything. A few odds and ends of sentimental value stuff. The football cards and GI Joes came out of my mom's house because she's moving. Along with a bunch of Who cares? stuff.

9. Likes FakeNewsSux liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I'm trying to decide if losing your shot glasses to an earthquake is worse than losing them in a divorce .
    Classic

11. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I'm trying to decide if losing your shot glasses to an earthquae is worse than losing them in a divorce

I had at least one from every state I had been in which was about 40 or so and some novelty ones of course. The ex claimed them like she did the photo collection although she couldn't even operate my camera People remembering things that never happened is annoying

The football cards are from when I was pre-teen/early teen. It was part of our "social media" back then I really didn't collect much of anything. A few odds and ends of sentimental value stuff. The football cards and GI Joes came out of my mom's house because she's moving. Along with a bunch of Who cares? stuff.
    Lol, depends on the divorce, I think.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default I kept an ATARI 2600 set from the 80's.

Gave everything to my Oldest son last year before we moved. Collectables??? You bet. Had all of the games too! PONG, SPACE INVADERS, TENNIS, Lots of stuff both boys played while I was deployed, a full box of them.

Care to guess what all of those are worth today?

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-insa...ish-you-owned/

Collectables are valuable for each of us. My wife has more than 200 Mugs from around the world...Including Queen Eliz's Anniversary, and Princess DI marriage, and others.
    I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.
    Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me:

14. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Am having a convo with a friend about collectibles. well, football cards to be exact. I busted out my 68-74 football card collection.
    Hmmmmm, would that friend be from Westchester NY by chance?

They are a nice collection of Steelers cards ya got there!! Here's what Gunny sent me that left me drooling!

So since he showed me his collection of Steelers cards, I replied with my little collection of Steelers cards (not as good of cards though, honestly, unless you count the real expensive and rated ones I bought, which isn't the same as opening a pack, IMO) Gunny has 43 sweet cards from the 70's though!! If I had to guess, I have about 1500 or so Steelers cards.

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

16. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Gunny liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

You have about as many Steelers cards as I have cards total. To be fair, I have few doubles. They were weeded out long ago. Probably when we moved at some point.

You mentioned value of the cards. That's a crap shoot. I remember in 1970 spending lots of nickels (what a pack cost then) trying to get "a" card and ending up with like 3-4 Walt Suggs, RG for the Houston Oilers. Garland Boyette for the Oilers too, The Oilers were in the basement and those two players must have not been much. It was lie playing McDonald's Monopoly. There might be 1M Park Places out there but only 3 Boardwalk's. I know one of those years I have the entire set and I paid through the nose to get the few cards I was missing.

Now when I say "pay", I don't mean like now where you go to a store and buy the ones you're missing. I mean whatever the kid in the hood that had the card wanted that you had, you were going to give up for the card There were no card stores then I knew of. I got mine at convenience stores. Nickel for 5 cards and a stick of gum so hard and dry you could commit murder with it

Which, goes back to the beginning of the thread. I never considered what they were worth. They were entertainment at the time. The daughter can deal with that if she wants to.

18. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

About the only thing I collect is oil lamps. I have about 30 of them, everything from the very simple lamp to very ornate, one is vaseline glass, which contains depleted uranium for the color and glows under a black light, and one Aladdin that's made of Alecite, "milk glass," and vintage purple, green and gray, finger lamps, hurricane lanterns and wall mounted lamps. I've loved them since I can remember. Love the smell of them burning.

A few of my more ornate lamps...

... and my 3 Aladdins...

Got more lamps all through the house and shop.

20. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Gunny, jimnyc, SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

That's pretty cool. Can't say as I've ever seen an oil lamp collection but those look different and cool.

22. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

That's pretty cool. Can't say as I've ever seen an oil lamp collection but those look different and cool.
    Thanks man. Many, many years of collecting them, and lots of auctions. Lamps and auctions, win, win for me...

Yeah there's a few around that collect them, but I probably have more than most. I burn them occasionally too, but have ones that I usually light. I still have the oil lamp from our cabin that my Dad built when I was 3 years old. Had no electricity so oil lamps were our light, had a wood stove. I loved that place. I loved the smell of the oil lamps and the wood stove. 60+ years later and the place is still standing. I drive by it all the time. It's cider block. Paw built it to last. I stopped in there one day and dropped off pictures of it being built. Thought the current owner would appreciate the history.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-11-2019 at 10:55 AM.

24. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

@jimnyc You know what just clicked? I don't have a Jack Lambert My cards end in 74. He was drafted the following year.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    About the only thing I collect is oil lamps.
    Some sweet looking lams ya got there! I love those types of lamps!

I got into card collecting in the past for fun, like Gunny, just buying packs for fun and crossing your fingers. But the Ebay came around, and you can BUY the good shit from others! I made some mistake purchases, but also got some sweet cards too!

A few of my cooler ones right here on top of my desk.... The better ones are in binders for better protection.

Big Ben, Shazier, under him, JuJu to the right of him & signed card by Jerome Bettis on bottom right

Collection of 3 players & patches of game worn jerseys, Antonio Brown, Ryan Shazier signed card & Ryan Shazier signed plate (used to make thousands of cards)

Jerome Bettis and Ryan Shazier

The bum Le'veon Bell, Another Antonio card underneath him (another bum), I'm tired of figuring them out, already put them away.

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

27. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post