Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Default Things Could Be Worse-You Could Live In Finland

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...th-Russia.html

Is Putin covering up a nuclear disaster? Ambulances covered in protective film transport six Russians who suffered severe radiation poisoning in mystery explosion during 'test of new hypersonic missile'

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

2. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Likes SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...tary-explosion

Death toll rises in rocket engine accident at Russian military site
    Five killed in explosion and pharmacies run out of iodine after reports of higher radiation

The accident occurred during tests on a liquid propellant rocket engine on Thursday, the RIA news agency said, citing Rosatom.

Russian authorities had previously said two people had been killed in the incident and that a nearby city had reported a rise in radiation levels when a rocket engine blew up at a testing site in the Archangelsk region. Shortly after the explosion, gamma radiation levels in the neighbouring city of Severodvinsk reportedly jumped to 20 times their normal rate for nearly half an hour, contradicting the ministry’s assurances that all levels were normal.

Further explosions, injuring nine people, were reported on Friday at the site. Russia’s defence ministry said in a statement it had been hit by lightning.

Pharmacies in two northern Russia cities have reported increased sales of iodine, a chemical used to limit the effects from radiation exposure.

Since the incident, a section of a bay in the White Sea has been closed to civilian shipping and photographs of rescue workers wearing protective gear including respirators have raised concerns about the accident. A statement put on the Severodvinsk city website about the heightened radiation levels has also been deleted, erasing some of the only official confirmation that the incident occurred at all.

Reports on the Arkhangelsk news site 29.ru and the Interfax news agency said that local pharmacies had reported a run on iodine tablets since Thursday, and that locals were concerned about the possibility of exposure.

Two dead and radiation spike reported after Russia rocket test blast
    Read more
    “They bought everything yesterday, first iodine tablets, iodomarin, then normal iodine and potassium iodide,” one pharmacist told Interfax. “The fuss began around 17.00 and by the time we closed they had bought everything. People at the register were discussing the news about the radiation in Severodvinsk, the explosion and the soldiers.”

Footage obtained by the news site Mash showed emergency workers wearing protective suits with respirators putting an injured person into an ambulance. On Friday, the Baza news site reported that the injured men had been brought to a Moscow clinic for radiation poisoning treatment and released a video of a convoy of police cars and ambulances travelling through Moscow. The clinic and a defence ministry spokesman both declined to respond to questions about the report.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Maaaan... here we go again.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Maaaan... here we go again.
    Maybe. I went looking for news out of Finland, not seeing much other than the iodine rush.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Maybe. I went looking for news out of Finland, not seeing much other than the iodine rush.
    Remember, Europe has speech control.

8. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

I know exactly what you mean. Can life ever be complete without reference to news from Finland (iodine countermeasure or not) ?

Interesting that you had a need to 'balance out' a report from a Right-leaning paper (Daily Mail) with another from the Guardian (a Left leaning paper). Me, I rarely if ever see any such need ..

The simple fact is that, until or unless some form of change occurs from within the 'corridors of power' in Russia, the world will just see more of this. They're just too arrogant, too agenda-driven, to take measures which will implement protocols and behaviours which put human considerations above militaristic and power-driven ones. The psychology is just wrong.

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/europe/top...mea/ar-AAFEZXc

MOSCOW (AP) — Ukraine's Foreign Ministry has protested Russian President Vladimir Putin's visit to Crimea, where he attended a pro-Kremlin motorcycle club's annual festival.

The Foreign Ministry on Sunday called Putin's trip "a crude violation by the Russian side of state sovereignty and the territorial integrity of our state."

The Russian leader wore black leather and drove a motorbike during the Shadow of Babylon show organized by the Night Wolves.
    The psychology of a conqueror ? One trampling upon cares or considerations that might just detract from displays of insensitive arrogance ?
    Last edited by Drummond; 08-11-2019 at 06:23 PM.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    I know exactly what you mean. Can life ever be complete without reference to news from Finland (iodine countermeasure or not) ?

Interesting that you had a need to 'balance out' a report from a Right-leaning paper (Daily Mail) with another from the Guardian (a Left leaning paper). Me, I rarely if ever see any such need ..

The simple fact is that, until or unless some form of change occurs from within the 'corridors of power' in Russia, the world will just see more of this. They're just too arrogant, too agenda-driven, to take measures which will implement protocols and behaviours which put human considerations above militaristic and power-driven ones. The psychology is just wrong.

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/europe/top...mea/ar-AAFEZXc

The psychology of a conqueror ? One trampling upon cares or considerations that might just detract from displays of insensitive arrogance ?
    Since the first and only reports on radiation spikes came from Finland-not many kilometers from the testing site, yeah, thought they might have more news-the Russians said nothing for 2 more days.

I really don't keep up with the biases of UK papers, in this case, each provided a bit of information.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Since the first and only reports on radiation spikes came from Finland-not many kilometers from the testing site, yeah, thought they might have more news-the Russians said nothing for 2 more days.

I really don't keep up with the biases of UK papers, in this case, each provided a bit of information.
    Well, thankfully it doesn't compare to the Chernobyl disaster. I remember that well. Britain was under a radioactive cloud for around a week, several days after it happened. Background radiation went up around fivefold for that period (though nowhere near as much as would've been required to do real harm, not for so short a period, anyway).

As for the biases of UK papers, I strongly suggest that you acquaint yourself with them .. that is, if you'll be inclined to rely on their output !

Most notable Leftie ones:-

The Guardian

The Daily Mirror (their anti-GWB rhetoric, circa 2003, sometimes had to be seen to be believed)

The 'Independent' (it started out that way, but they lurched to the Left, again, during and after the 2003 Iraq War).

Most notable Right-wing ones:-

Daily Telegraph

Daily Mail

Daily Express

The Sun (has veered in both directions, but usually favours the Conservatives at election time)

The Guardian in particular can be relied upon to provide politically correct reports (characterised by their extreme length).

12. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Well, thankfully it doesn't compare to the Chernobyl disaster. I remember that well. Britain was under a radioactive cloud for around a week, several days after it happened. Background radiation went up around fivefold for that period (though nowhere near as much as would've been required to do real harm, not for so short a period, anyway).

As for the biases of UK papers, I strongly suggest that you acquaint yourself with them .. that is, if you'll be inclined to rely on their output !

Most notable Leftie ones:-

The Guardian

The Daily Mirror (their anti-GWB rhetoric, circa 2003, sometimes had to be seen to be believed)

The 'Independent' (it started out that way, but they lurched to the Left, again, during and after the 2003 Iraq War).

Most notable Right-wing ones:-

Daily Telegraph

Daily Mail

Daily Express

The Sun (has veered in both directions, but usually favours the Conservatives at election time)

The Guardian in particular can be relied upon to provide politically correct reports (characterised by their extreme length).

Thanks but no thanks on that list. It's not that I wouldn't use such if I were to be buying a paper in England, but truth of the matter is that I search for topics, then look at timeliness, then skim my choices and pick the best fit for what I'm looking for.

I do the same with the more US sources-though yes, I do know their biases in general.

I find it healthy to read different perspectives, regularly. I know my own thoughts and can even roll my eyes while reading and still sort out the wheat from chaff.

I don't like echo chambers. They're claustrophobic at worst and boring at best.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Thanks but no thanks on that list. It's not that I wouldn't use such if I were to be buying a paper in England, but truth of the matter is that I search for topics, then look at timeliness, then skim my choices and pick the best fit for what I'm looking for.

I do the same with the more US sources-though yes, I do know their biases in general.

I find it healthy to read different perspectives, regularly. I know my own thoughts and can even roll my eyes while reading and still sort out the wheat from chaff.

I don't like echo chambers. They're claustrophobic at worst and boring at best.
    Well, as you wish, of course.

Still, I do think that proper alertness beforehand to established bias is an invaluable tool. For example ... if you read a Leftie paper without being sufficiently aware of their biases, it's entirely possible that fiction masquerading as fact won't be detected as the fiction it is, meaning, that the article's writer successfully propagandises you into believing a falsehood .. from which a skewed view may evolve, despite yourself.

An obvious example would be Brexit. If you believe Boris's Right wing outlook, we can weather any shortfalls without too much trouble. At the other end of the scale, if one believed all the scare stories the Left puts out, Armaggeddon awaits us.

Chronic food shortages.

Lifesaving medicines no longer available.

Security holes because of a lack of 2-way cooperation between EU and UK agencies.

Flights being stopped ...

.... scare stories such as these. Hardline Lefties will happily tell you these will be FACTS. Whereas, the Right won't buy into such alarmism.

How to tell fact from fiction ? You need to be pre-warned about biases to detect outright lies. The Left will claim black is white if they think they can get away with it. Detection of the nature of opinion isn't enough. You have to KNOW when you're being lied to.

Oh, and ... ahem ... Islam is a 'religion of peace' ... and ... George W Bush is a 'war criminal' ...

... sorry. Could't resist those ol' Leftie chestnuts (which will also probably be unobtainable, after Brexit) ......
    Last edited by Drummond; 08-12-2019 at 12:20 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Well, as you wish, of course.

Still, I do think that proper alertness beforehand to established bias is an invaluable tool. For example ... if you read a Leftie paper without being sufficiently aware of their biases, it's entirely possible that fiction masquerading as fact won't be detected as the fiction it is, meaning, that the article's writer successfully propagandises you into believing a falsehood .. from which a skewed view may evolve, despite yourself.

An obvious example would be Brexit. If you believe Boris's Right wing outlook, we can weather any shortfalls without too much trouble. At the other end of the scale, if one believed all the scare stories the Left puts out, Armaggeddon awaits us.

Chronic food shortages.

Lifesaving medicines no longer available.

Security holes because of a lack of 2-way cooperation between EU and UK agencies.

Flights being stopped ...

.... scare stories such as these. Hardline Lefties will happily tell you these will be FACTS. Whereas, the Right won't buy into such alarmism.

How to tell fact from fiction ? You need to be pre-warned about biases to detect outright lies. The Left will claim black is white if they think they can get away with it. Detection of the nature of opinion isn't enough. You have to KNOW when you're being lied to.

Oh, and ... ahem ... Islam is a 'religion of peace' ... and ... George W Bush is a 'war criminal' ...

... sorry. Could't resist those ol' Leftie chestnuts (which will also probably be unobtainable, after Brexit) ......

Famine has been wiped out for most of the world, war zones and Venezuela excluded.
    Life saving medicines are available, it would be nice if governments let incentives through for new developing ones though.
    I'm not aware enough to address specific European problems.
    I've always look askance at anything labeled 'peaceful.'

As I said, I try to be aware. I know my own biases and can spot those or their antithesis without many problems.

Joyful ignorance, to form 'opinion' has never appealed to me. Seems an ignorant way to try to inform oneself.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...eadly-accident

Russia Says Small Nuclear Reactor Blew Up in Deadly Accident
    By Jake Rudnitsky and Stepan Kravchenko
    August 12, 2019, 2:06 AM PDT Updated on August 12, 2019, 3:41 AM PDT

The failed missile test that ended in an explosion killing five scientists last week on Russia’s White Sea involved a small nuclear reactor, according to a top official at the institute where they worked.

The institute is working on small-scale power sources that use “radioactive materials, including fissile and radioisotope materials” for the Defense Ministry and civilian uses, Vyacheslav Soloviev, scientific director of the institute, said in a video shown by local TV.

The men, who will be buried Monday, were national heroes and the “elite of the Russian Federal Nuclear Center,” institute Director Valentin Kostyukov said in the video, which was also posted on an official website in Sarov, a high-security city devoted to nuclear research less than 400 kilometers (250 miles) east of Moscow.

The blast occurred Aug. 8 during a test of a missile that used “isotope power sources” on an offshore platform in the Arkhangelsk region, close to the Arctic Circle, Russia’s state nuclear company Rosatom said over the weekend. The Defense Ministry initially reported two were killed in the accident, which it said involved testing of a liquid-fueled missile engine. The ministry didn’t mention the nuclear element.

Radiation Spike
    It caused a brief spike in radiation in the nearby port city of Severodvinsk, according to a statement on the local administration’s website that was later removed. The Russian military said radiation levels were normal but disclosed few details about the incident.

News of the explosion set off in nearby cities and towns a run on iodine, which is believed to help prevent the thyroid gland from absorbing radiation. Norway said it had stepped up radiation monitoring after the incident but hadn’t detected anything abnormal.

Southerly winds and the large distance between the border and the explosion make it unlikely that Finland will detect any radiation, Pia Vesterbacka, director at Finland’s Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority, said by phone Monday. The authority hasn’t checked its air filters since the incident but expects to have results this week, she added.

Rosatom declined to comment on the incident Monday and a spokeswoman for the Sarov institute couldn’t immediately be reached.

Russian media have speculated that the weapon being tested was the SSC-X-9 Skyfall, known in Russia as the Burevestnik, a nuclear-powered cruise missile that President Vladimir Putin introduced to the world in a brief animated segment during his state-of-the-nation address last year.

The incident comes after a series of massive explosions earlier last week at a Siberian military depot killed one and injured 13, as well as forcing the evacuation of 16,500 people from their homes. Russia’s navy has suffered numerous high-profile accidents over the years. In July, 14 sailors died in a fire aboard a nuclear-powered submarine in the Barents Sea in an incident on which officials initially refused to comment. A top naval official later said the men gave their lives preventing a “planetary catastrophe.”

Russia’s worst post-Soviet naval disaster also occurred in the Barents Sea, when 118 crew died on the Kursk nuclear submarine that sank in after an explosion in August 2000.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

@Balu

https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morri...new-chernobyl/

How many weeks has this been? Oh well, guess Russia doesn't need those people in that small town?

Russia’s New Chernobyl?
    ED MORRISSEYPosted at 8:01 pm on August 27, 2019

It’s been almost three weeks since a nuclear accident took place near the secret military city of Sarov, and Russia has only now begun to acknowledge it. Yesterday, the country’s weather service reported the elevated presence of four isotopes in the environment while still claiming that no particular danger exists:

Russia’s state weather and environment monitoring agency on Monday released new details about a brief spike in radioactivity following a mysterious explosion at the navy’s testing range that has been surrounded by secrecy and fueled fears of increased radiation levels.

The Aug. 8 incident at the Russian navy’s range in Nyonoksa on the White Sea killed two servicemen and five nuclear engineers and injured six others. The authorities reported a rise in radiation levels in nearby Severodvinsk, but insisted it didn’t pose any danger.

Russia’s state weather and environmental monitoring agency Rosgidromet said Monday the brief rise in radiation levels was caused by a cloud of radioactive gases containing isotopes of barium, strontium and lanthanum that drifted across the area. The agency said its monitoring has found no trace of radiation in air or ground samples since Aug. 8.

Russia has finally — if indirectly — acknowledged that the accident involved their new nuclear-powered cruise missile, which NATO calls Skyfall:

Russian officials have not conceded that the explosion involved the missile called the Skyfall. But on Monday, a Russian diplomat for the first time spoke of the accident in terms of the purpose for such a missile.

The diplomat, Aleksei Karpov, Russia’s envoy to international organizations in Vienna, blamed the United States for setting Russia on the path to developing a new device by withdrawing from an antiballistic missile treaty over 15 years ago.

Just how bad was this explosion? The types of isotopes in the leading edge of the cloud makes it clear that this was a reactor explosion, as was Chernobyl in 1986, if not on the same scale. It also leads observers to conclude that the radiation risk is likely worse in the region than Russia’s weather service admits:

“These are fission products,” Joshua Pollack, a leading expert on nuclear and missile proliferation, told Insider. “If anyone still doubts that a nuclear reactor was involved in this incident, this report should go a long way toward resolving that.”

Alexander Uvarov, the editor of the independent news site AtomInfo.ru, told the news agency RIA Novosti that these isotopes were products of nuclear fission involving uranium, Agence France-Presse reported Monday. This collection of radioisotopes could be released by a reaction involving uranium-235.

Nils Bohmer, a Norwegian nuclear-safety expert, told The Barents Observer that “the presence of decay products like barium and strontium is coming from a nuclear chain reaction,” adding that it was evidence that it “was a nuclear reactor that exploded.”

The Russians have acted as though the danger was higher than they were willing to admit on camera. In their zeal to protect themselves from criticism over the accident, Russian authorities left residents in the dark about the risks, including the first responders:

The Defense Ministry denied any radiation leak even as the local administration in Severodvinsk reported a hike in radiation levels and told residents to stay indoors — a move that prompted frightened residents to buy iodine, which can help reduce risks from exposure to radiation.

Russian media reported that the victims of the explosion received high doses of radiation. They said that medical workers at the Arkhangelsk city hospital that treated three of those injured said they hadn’t been warned that they would treat people exposed to radiation and lacked elementary protective gear.

The Moscow Times on Monday cited Igor Semin, a cardiovascular surgeon at the hospital, who scathingly criticized the authorities in a social network post for failing to warn the hospital workers about the deadly risks. “They were abandoned and left to fend for themselves,” the newspaper quoted Semin as saying.

Anyone who has studied the Chernobyl accident will find frightening parallels in this new accident. For years, the Soviets denied the true scope of the accident, and in the first few hours denied an accident had taken place at all. When Western nations began detecting high levels of radiation on the winds, the Soviets admitted that an accident had taken place but denied the scope of the problem. They delayed evacuations so as not to embarrass the political leadership, lied to the first responders, and only admitted to the true nature of the accident after the Soviet system had collapsed — bad engineering combined with incompetent operation.

This accident may not be anywhere near as bad as Chernobyl, but given the Russian government’s desire to follow the Chernobyl playbook, it must be pretty bad on its own. They’re only admitting to what cannot be denied — the dispersal of radioactive elements — while still denying any other implications of what seems clearly to be a reactor explosion, which would be a highly contaminative event. The need for secrecy suggests something closer to the worst-case scenario rather than the best-case scenario.

Perhaps this will convince Russia and others to dispense with the idea of nuclear propulsion on missiles. Don’t count on that, though; Chernobyl should have forced the Soviets to shut down all of its RBMK-type reactors, but they continued to operate — and in fact ten still operate in Russia. Some lessons never quite get learned when accountability is non-existent.