Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Default China Didn't Blink First

I'm glad he did this, though not sure why outside of market confidence. Then again, that was a given with the announcement.

http://patterico.com/2019/08/13/trum...inese-tariffs/

8/13/2019
    Trump delays Chinese Tariffs
    Filed under: Economics,International — DRJ @ 10:06 am

Donald Trump CAVES on tariffs on Chinese goods putting them off for MONTHS after ‘very good call’ with Beijing so they do not send cost of Christmas shopping soaring amid fears they will end his economic boom:

The Trump Administration announced Tuesday morning that is delaying tariffs on Chinese-manufactured goods like laptops and cell phones until Dec. 15.

Trump’s trade office says that certain products ‘will not face additional tariffs of 10 percent’ due to health, safety or national security concerns. Some of the products it listed were cell phones, laptop computers, video game consoles, computer monitors, footwear and clothing. USTR said it will post a list of items that are being excluded on its website.

It announced the postponement shortly after the the stock market opened, and the Dow jumped nearly 500 points within minutes of the news.

Donald Trump has not commented directly but hinted in a tweet that the action was intended to get China to move forward with large agricultural orders.

Did Trump’s negotiating strategy work or did he cave because of farmers and Christmas?

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

2. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I'm glad he did this, though not sure why outside of market confidence. Then again, that was a given with the announcement.

http://patterico.com/2019/08/13/trum...inese-tariffs/
    Neither.

This is how Trump governs. It happens time after time after time. He sets a deadline, scares the shit out of people, not to mention gets the medial riled up even more, and then uses some pretext to delay his original threat, sometimes. Other times following up on the threat. So that whomever he is dealing with can't predict what he might do.

It's not a tactic I agree with strategy wise, but there is no denying that it has worked with him in many areas. Mexico came right to the table and are cooperating with the US on illegal immigration, aren't they? As an example.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I guess Trump has learned how to be a politician. Washington is finally having it's effect on him.

Caving on the 2nd amendment, and now caving on China. Two major things. My support for him is starting to fracture.

I wanted Ted Cruz for president, although it does make me wonder where we'd be with anything if he had won. Would the economy be better, immigration, trade...?

I'm still VERY thankful Hitlery didn't win though. I'd vote for the worst republican candidate there is over a democrat, because the worst repub is still better than a democrat.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-13-2019 at 03:42 PM.

5. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    I guess Trump has learned how to be a politician. Washington is finally having it's effect on him.

Caving on the 2nd amendment, and now caving on China. Two major things. My support for him is starting to fracture.

I wanted Ted Cruz for president, although it does make me wonder where we'd be with anything if he had won. Would the economy be better, immigration, trade...?

I'm still VERY thankful Hitlery didn't win though. I'd vote for the worst republican candidate there is over a democrat, because the worst repub is still better than a democrat.
    The tariff threat, which is what it is now, was enough to cause the markets to go unstable. At this point I don't think there is anyone who thinks a deal with China is possible, certainly not before the election. If we think the President is thin-skinned, he has nothing on China. I doubt they'll get in a twitter fight, but he relishes on belittling those he wants to bargain. China doesn't do well with losing face.

Now I will be the first to say that he's played cards I didn't think could be played, so I'll not say 'never.' I do know what I'm reading today is that the 'forecasters' are saying that in spite of the hopeful stability this reprieve will bring, they fear recession within the next 12 months-which would be just in time for you know what.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

The tariff threat, which is what it is now, was enough to cause the markets to go unstable. At this point I don't think there is anyone who thinks a deal with China is possible, certainly not before the election. If we think the President is thin-skinned, he has nothing on China. I doubt they'll get in a twitter fight, but he relishes on belittling those he wants to bargain. China doesn't do well with losing face.

Now I will be the first to say that he's played cards I didn't think could be played, so I'll not say 'never.' I do know what I'm reading today is that the 'forecasters' are saying that in spite of the hopeful stability this reprieve will bring, they fear recession within the next 12 months-which would be just in time for you know what.
    China NEEDED to be dealt with. I heard on the news earlier today that there has been changes already though. That no longer does China require that an American company in China MUST have a Chinese partner, and that no longer are they required to hand over intellectual property, so Trump did effect some change. But they're still manipulating their currency, and there still is a trade imbalance, but the chicoms are trying to OUTLAST Trump at this point, as you mentioned. They're hoping he isn't reelected and we get a new president that will CAVE to them, AGAIN. But if Trump is reelected, I think they're in for some real hard ball.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-13-2019 at 03:58 PM.

8. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    China NEEDED to be dealt with. I heard on the news earlier today that there has been changes already though. That no longer does China require that an American company in China MUST have a Chinese partner, and that no longer are they required to hand over intellectual property, so Trump did effect some change. But they're still manipulating their currency, and there still is a trade imbalance, but the chicoms are trying to OUTLAST Trump at this point, as you mentioned. They're hoping he isn't reelected and we get a new president that will CAVE to them, AGAIN. But if Trump is reelected, I think they're in for some real hard ball.
    Wanna bet that the Dems declare Trump (assuming he wins) a "lame duck" as soon as the election results are announced?
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

10. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    Wanna bet that the Dems declare Trump (assuming he wins) a "lame duck" as soon as the election results are announced?
    No doubt, but if they thought they saw a DICTATOR in his first term, wait until he doesn't have to worry about being reelected...

12. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default We all assume the President is caving. Why?

He is an Expert at "THE ART OF A DEAL", and a master Negotiator who Let's Other People Chase Him...UNTIL He catches them. (so to speak)

The President likes keeping everybody guessing. He never announces what HE REALLY IS THINKING, until everybody who hates him finds out the Hard Way...as he SMILES, and doesn't fear all the names they call him.

If I was a BILLIONAIRE...I wouldn't give TWO CRAPS either.
    I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.
    Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me:

14. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by icansayit View Post
    He is an Expert at "THE ART OF A DEAL", and a master Negotiator who Let's Other People Chase Him...UNTIL He catches them. (so to speak)

The President likes keeping everybody guessing. He never announces what HE REALLY IS THINKING, until everybody who hates him finds out the Hard Way...as he SMILES, and doesn't fear all the names they call him.

If I was a BILLIONAIRE...I wouldn't give TWO CRAPS either.
    I'd agree with that. I think he's usually two steps ahead of what other people are doing. But, he's in politics, he's in Washington, this isn't his personal life. He has to play their game... to a degree. Shame too.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-13-2019 at 08:20 PM.

16. Thanks icansayit thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

If the economy is down at election time, well ask Bush I, both the fed and I've no doubt Trump can read the tea leaves:

https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morri...-flashing-red/

Uh Oh: Recession Indicators Flashing Red?
    ED MORRISSEYPosted at 12:01 pm on August 14, 2019

For the first time since the Great Recession, a major signal of impending recession has emerged. The inverted yield curve has sent investors running away from the stock market this morning, and appears to corroborate earlier warnings that the US economy is heading into a major problem:

U.S. stocks tumbled at open Wednesday after the inverted yield curve, one of the most reliable indicators of a recession, sparked a new wave of investor fears, erasing the short-lived bump from Tuesday’s trade easing.
    For the first time since 2007, the yields on short-term U.S. bonds eclipsed those of long-term bonds. This phenomenon, which suggests investors’ faith in the economy is faltering, has preceded every recession in the last 50 years. Recessions typically come within 18 to 24 months after the yield curve inverts, according to research from Credit Suisse.
    “The 3-month Treasury bill to 10-year note curve has been inverted for weeks now and with the inversion of the 2-year to 10-year curve. The stars are aligned across the curve that the economy is headed for a big fall,” said Chris Rupkey, chief financial economist at MUFG Union Bank. “The yield curves are all crying timber that a recession is almost a reality, and investors are tripping over themselves to get out of the way.”

Donald Trump’s surprise change to tariffs yesterday had resulted in a more optimistic mood on Wall Street. Trump had earlier announced 10% tariffs on $300 billion of imports from China starting on September 1, but yesterday postponed about half of them until December 15. The goods spared from tariffs are mostly consumer goods, with Trump tacitly acknowledging that tariffs on those could damage retailers who need a good Christmas season this year:

Trump’s 10% tariffs will be effective from Dec. 15 for thousands of products including clothing and footwear, possibly buttressing the holiday selling season from some of the fallout from the protracted trade spat between the world’s two largest economies.
    “We’re doing this for Christmas season, just in case some of the tariffs would have an impact on U.S. customers,” Trump told reporters in New Jersey. “Just in case they might have an impact on people, what we’ve done is we’ve delayed it so that they won’t be relevant to the Christmas shopping season.”

The reason for delaying the consumer-goods tariffs might be related to the impact on one person’s Christmas in particular. Trump can’t afford a recession, as I argue today in my column for The Week, not just for what it will do to his electoral fortunes but for how it will impact the Democratic race. A recession will push risk-averse voters to the safe choice, who will also be the toughest for Trump to beat in 2020:

A recession in 2020 would be a body blow to Trump’s campaign. A recession in 2019, or perhaps just the perception of its inevitability, might influence the Democratic primaries more than even Warren could predict. For insight, we can look back to 1992’s Democratic primary and how Carville’s axiom played out.
    The Democratic field in 1991-2 was nowhere near as large as in this cycle, but it had a surprisingly similar progressive bent. Early in 1991, fresh off his Gulf War victory and with approval ratings of 89 percent at one point, Bush seemed unbeatable, which discouraged more well-known potential candidates such as Mario Cuomo and Jesse Jackson from throwing their hats into the ring. Instead, Clinton and his successful Southern centrism squared off against only one other governor, California’s Jerry Brown, at the time a favorite of left-leaning progressives. The three other major candidates in the race all came out of the U.S. Senate: Massachusetts’ Paul Tsongas, Nebraska’s Bob Kerrey, and Iowa’s Tom Harkin, all of whom came from the party’s more liberal and/or populist wing.
    And yet, in the midst of a recession, the race took a surprisingly centrist tone. After recovering from the exposure of an extramarital affair, Clinton kept his focus on economic growth through traditional methods. This strategy turned out to be so successful that Brown tried changing tactics late in the primaries, swinging right to back a flat tax and abolishing the Department of Education, long a goal of Ronald Reagan conservatives. In the end, however, Democrats went with Clinton and his laser focus on the economy, a centrist who promised less of an economic revolution in the midst of uncertainty in the short recession.
    If that same dynamic holds in 2020, it won’t benefit Warren even if she wins the recession-prediction sweepstakes. Voters will want stability and caution rather than radical shifts in policy, perhaps especially after the drama and unpredictability of Trump’s White House tenure. Almost the entire Democratic field has run hard to the left in order to out-Bernie Bernie Sanders; of the viable candidates remaining, only Joe Biden fits the mold. Biden also represents a restoration of the Barack Obama order, which is already attractive enough that Biden’s opponents have been forced into the role of attacking Obama to fight Biden for the nomination.

Voters tend to be risk-averse in economic downturns. That’s good news for those concerned about radicals in the Democratic Party, but it’s not good news for Trump. The economy was performing well enough for voters to roll the dice on Trump three years ago, but they may not be as sanguine about it next year if the economy hits the rocks.

With the inverted yield curve, time may have run out on that gamble. Economists have begun speaking out on the risks of recession, with the China trade war the biggest potential driver of a new downturn. Trump now has to consider just how long he wants to fight a trade war with China. Is it worth losing a second term to Biden, who will reverse Trump’s China policies almost immediately anyway? The concession on consumer goods is a signal that Trump might be looking for a way out, especially since Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross admitted that China didn’t offer any concessions for the delay:

There were no concessions from China for the U.S. decision to postpone tariffs on some Chinese imports until mid-December, U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said on Wednesday, adding that it was too early to assess where U.S.-China trade talks stand.
    Ross, speaking in an interview on CNBC, added that while further telephone conversations between the two sides were discussed, a date has not been set for another round of in-person discussions.
    “This was not a quid pro quo,” Ross told the television network.

It might be time to declare victory and depart the field, assuming that China’s willing to play along. If not, Trump’s taking a big gamble on a recession, and an even bigger gamble on what even the perception of an economic reversal will produce in the Democratic primary.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

A deal with China IS possible. Here's the deal, Trump realized that China is hoping he loses reelection. That is there ONLY hope here, get Trump out of office.

And they play the long game, deal with another $300B in tarrifs hoping it tanks the US economy within 2 months so Trump doesn't get reelected? Yes, they will take that bet. They can not do that for four years though and they know it, every economist knows it, if Trump win reelection, China will be forced to negotiate a deal.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    A deal with China IS possible. Here's the deal, Trump realized that China is hoping he loses reelection. That is there ONLY hope here, get Trump out of office.

And they play the long game, deal with another $300B in tarrifs hoping it tanks the US economy within 2 months so Trump doesn't get reelected? Yes, they will take that bet. They can not do that for four years though and they know it, every economist knows it, if Trump win reelection, China will be forced to negotiate a deal.
    Uh huh. Might want to see what's going on regarding recession markers today.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Uh huh. Might want to see what's going on regarding recession markers today.
    That has naught to do with my comments. If Trump gets reelected and continues pursuing a fair deal with China they will have to come to the table, their economy won't handle four years of tarrifs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Trump just blinked holding off on tariffs after xmas to give consumers a break.... even though Trump has claimed China pays for the Tariffs. lol, he's playing everyone for dummies.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Hmmm... and here I just heard an expert on Fox News saying the FED can adjust the interest rate down to where it should be and we're in good shape, that the economy is rock solid and all this talk of a coming recession is wild speculation.

23. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post