Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Default Wifi Question....

@jimnyc

Jim, I've had glitchy problems with my wifi out here in my shop for quite awhile now. Thought it was just a weak signal even though I'm still getting 50Mbps down. So I bought a new 802.11ac dongle and that didn't change anything, speed is the same, so I checked the wifi on my new Dell laptop and it's just as slow. My wired internet is 129.54Mbps down, so I called mediacom and they said my wifi should be just as fast as my ethernet, so a tech is supposed to be here in the morning to straighten it out.

So question, is your wifi just as fast as your wired ethernet? And do you have the new 802.11ac or the older 802.11n? But even the n is good for up to 300Mbps so... I don't know what the problem is here, but my wifi has always been less than half as fast as my wired ethernet, and according to mediacom, they should be the same speed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    @jimnyc

Jim, I've had glitchy problems with my wifi out here in my shop for quite awhile now. Thought it was just a weak signal even though I'm still getting 50Mbps down. So I bought a new 802.11ac dongle and that didn't change anything, speed is the same, so I checked the wifi on my new Dell laptop and it's just as slow. My wired internet is 129.54Mbps down, so I called mediacom and they said my wifi should be just as fast as my ethernet, so a tech is supposed to be here in the morning to straighten it out.

So question, is your wifi just as fast as your wired ethernet? And do you have the new 802.11ac or the older 802.11n? But even the n is good for up to 300Mbps so... I don't know what the problem is here, but my wifi has always been less than half as fast as my wired ethernet, and according to mediacom, they should be the same speed.
    Some of the better routers ARE rated to get such higher speeds, but your provider needs to deliver that amount, and then your router needs to pass it through to your devices without being a bottleneck.

What model do you use?

I had an older one and juts upgraded recently. While I don't get the same speeds, it did increase my speed nicely and also made it much more stable and stronger of a signal. What I bought was an Asus RTAC68U. https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC68U/

Also, how great is the CPU and laptop situation? I don't recall but I think you did post it in the past. While new, just ensure it's strong enough to process everything. And memory size? At least 8, but preferably 16.

I don't think you'll see identical speeds, but hopefully the tech can figure out why you aren't getting higher speeds. How good is your signal overall? Which router name/model (asked above).

50 down is pretty damn good for a laptop on wifi. Have you gotten higher than that 50 on another network by chance? Just curious!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

3. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Some of the better routers ARE rated to get such higher speeds, but your provider needs to deliver that amount, and then your router needs to pass it through to your devices without being a bottleneck.

What model do you use?

I had an older one and juts upgraded recently. While I don't get the same speeds, it did increase my speed nicely and also made it much more stable and stronger of a signal. What I bought was an Asus RTAC68U. https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC68U/

Also, how great is the CPU and laptop situation? I don't recall but I think you did post it in the past. While new, just ensure it's strong enough to process everything. And memory size? At least 8, but preferably 16.

I don't think you'll see identical speeds, but hopefully the tech can figure out why you aren't getting higher speeds. How good is your signal overall? Which router name/model (asked above).

50 down is pretty damn good for a laptop on wifi. Have you gotten higher than that 50 on another network by chance? Just curious!
    I guess I neglected to mention that my wifi comes straight off my Mediacom modem, it's built in. That was a new one on me. I didn't know they made such animals. My son says I should just get my own modem and router too, but I would just rather not mess with it. But I was always under the impression that wifi should be just as fast as your wired internet. I've known it's not for some time but thought well, maybe that's just the way it is. Yeah the kid is always like Dad, do this, do that, get this, get that, check the duplexing, blah, blah, blah, but hey ya sod buster, YOU are an IT/NETWORKING person with an B.S. degree in the stuff that works at a freakin' TV station, I'M NOT. I like tech but c'mon... I can get tripped up with this crap fast when it gets over my head...

Yeah the shop computer is a vintage old POS. Slow processor and buss speeds, but the new DELL laptop is a screaming monster with an 8th Gen i7 processor, 16G of RAM and a 265MB SSD. It's wifi is set up for 802.11ac as well. But even though the desktop in the shop is old, it's still setup for 802.11n, which can handle up to 300Mbps. So my slow wifi is all on Mediacom because the Dell in the house gets the same down wifi speed as the old POS in the shop.

I just wondered if wifi was always supposed to be slower than wired ethernet.

Just checked playing some 1080i video in the shop and the new wifi dongle improved that. It used to lockup and such when I'd click and move the video ahead. It plays good with no problems now.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-18-2019 at 02:46 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I guess I neglected to mention that my wifi comes straight off my Mediacom modem, it's built in. That was a new one on me. I didn't know they made such animals. My son says I should just get my own modem and router too, but I would just rather not mess with it. But I was always under the impression that wifi should be just as fast as your wired internet. I've known it's not for some time but thought well, maybe that's just the way it is. Yeah the kid is always like Dad, do this, do that, get this, get that, check the duplexing, blah, blah, blah, but hey ya sod buster, YOU are an IT/NETWORKING person with an B.S. degree in the stuff that works at a freakin' TV station, I'M NOT. I like tech but c'mon... I can get tripped up with this crap fast when it gets over my head...

Yeah the shop computer is a vintage old POS. Slow processor and buss speeds, but the new DELL laptop is a screaming monster with an 8th Gen i7 processor, 16G of RAM and a 265MB SSD. It's wifi is set up for 802.11ac as well. But even though the desktop in the shop is old, it's still setup for 802.11n, which can handle up to 300Mbps. So my slow wifi is all on Mediacom because the Dell in the house gets the same down wifi speed as the old POS in the shop.

I just wondered if wifi was always supposed to be slower than wired ethernet.

Just checked playing some 1080i video in the shop and the new wifi dongle improved that. It used to lockup and such when I'd click and move the video ahead. It plays good with no problems now.
    Well, I use the modem that Cablevision supplied too, they usually aren't the issue. But I would definitely get and use my own router and disable the one on the modem. Get something similar to mine. ORRRRR - maybe your son or someone else has a good one you can borrow for a few minutes and test a bit? Make sure you lookup your modem model fist and make sure you can find out how to disable to router portion. If it's rented from them, you may not be able to mess with it. If you bought it from them outright, then I think you should have access. Of course a new modem that would work on your line would also solve the problem. But if the tech is there tomorrow, maybe he can better answer that modem/router questions first.

Sure, perhaps the ratings for the modem/router/wifi may all be able to handle such speeds, but usually in my experience I have always seen wifi a bit slower. But it doesn't have to be much, and certainly a negligible difference. In other words, 100Mb download speeds instead of a wired 130Mb speed (just examples), while slower would be a speed you likely wouldn't see a huge difference.

My desktop is Windows 10 of course, the latest I9-9900 processor (8 cores @ 3.6ghz), RTX 2060 Geforce display, 32 gig ram, 240gig bootup SSD, then a SATA of 3 terabytes - then 2 externals, one 1 terabyte, and also one that is 2 terabytes, DVD writer... Then a sweet case you can see through, and 6 red fans and liquid cooling to keep her all cooled off. Picture with lame reflection sucks.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19LA...ew?usp=sharing

and goofy type of montage thingy

https://drive.google.com/file/d/193K...ew?usp=sharing
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

6. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Well, I use the modem that Cablevision supplied too, they usually aren't the issue. But I would definitely get and use my own router and disable the one on the modem. Get something similar to mine. ORRRRR - maybe your son or someone else has a good one you can borrow for a few minutes and test a bit? Make sure you lookup your modem model fist and make sure you can find out how to disable to router portion. If it's rented from them, you may not be able to mess with it. If you bought it from them outright, then I think you should have access. Of course a new modem that would work on your line would also solve the problem. But if the tech is there tomorrow, maybe he can better answer that modem/router questions first.

Sure, perhaps the ratings for the modem/router/wifi may all be able to handle such speeds, but usually in my experience I have always seen wifi a bit slower. But it doesn't have to be much, and certainly a negligible difference. In other words, 100Mb download speeds instead of a wired 130Mb speed (just examples), while slower would be a speed you likely wouldn't see a huge difference.

My desktop is Windows 10 of course, the latest I9-9900 processor (8 cores @ 3.6ghz), RTX 2060 Geforce display, 32 gig ram, 240gig bootup SSD, then a SATA of 3 terabytes - then 2 externals, one 1 terabyte, and also one that is 2 terabytes, DVD writer... Then a sweet case you can see through, and 6 red fans and liquid cooling to keep her all cooled off. Picture with lame reflection sucks.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19LA...ew?usp=sharing

and goofy type of montage thingy

https://drive.google.com/file/d/193K...ew?usp=sharing
    My GAWD, bro... that is SAAAAWEEEET!

I've been looking for an upgrade but when you get up into computers like your's, they're NOT CHEAP. I have this one in my wish list on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R4PK6B4...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I've been thinking that when I get to uploading and editing 4K video from the new Sony FDR AX53 video camera, I'm going to need some fast processing speeds. Ironically the graphics card in that big Dell is the same one I installed in this old crapola desktop in the shop. It didn't change much though because it has such a slow processor. Wonder if I could order the Dell without it and install the one out of this old HP?

I guess I'll learn a lot tomorrow about the wifi here off their modem. I'm going to ask about "what ifs" like just buying my own modem and router if there's no way to speed up the wifi. I don't think it's fair to be paying for 100 down and then only get less than half that on wifi.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-18-2019 at 04:18 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

My GAWD, bro... that is SAAAAWEEEET!

I've been looking for an upgrade but when you get up into computers like your's, they're NOT CHEAP. I have this one in my wish list on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R4PK6B4...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I've been thinking that when I get to uploading and editing 4K video from the new Sony FDR AX53 video camera, I'm going to need some fast processing speeds. Ironically the graphics card in that big Dell is the same one I installed in this old crapola desktop in the shop. It didn't change much though because it has such a slow processor. Wonder if I could order the Dell without it and install the one out of this old HP?

I guess I'll learn a lot tomorrow about the wifi here off their modem. I'm going to ask about "what ifs" like just buying my own modem and router if there's no way to speed up the wifi. I don't think it's fair to be paying for 100 down and then only get less than half that on wifi.
    I went all out this time. My last 2 pc's... last one lasted me 10 years. The one prior was like 8 years. Additional PC's on the side but not as good. So I figured I better get something that will last & still perform at a high level for awhile. But yeah, all told it was nearly $2k.

Everything on your choice looks great as well. Not sure if they will work with you on any configuration changes, but 64gig of memory is a ton! Not sure it will ever be used. Same with my 32, but I'm hoping the extra memory gets used as temporary drive space as ram while using some heavy duty stuff.

Try these guys: https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

Can't go wrong with any of them in the gaming series. Hell, even their gamin laptops are great, but I prefer a desktop. I really don't travel or move around much. You can peek around, and every choice is highly configurable. But pricey!! But all the products and parts to build their PC's are top notch!

9. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I went all out this time. My last 2 pc's... last one lasted me 10 years. The one prior was like 8 years. Additional PC's on the side but not as good. So I figured I better get something that will last & still perform at a high level for awhile. But yeah, all told it was nearly $2k.

Everything on your choice looks great as well. Not sure if they will work with you on any configuration changes, but 64gig of memory is a ton! Not sure it will ever be used. Same with my 32, but I'm hoping the extra memory gets used as temporary drive space as ram while using some heavy duty stuff.

Try these guys: https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

Can't go wrong with any of them in the gaming series. Hell, even their gamin laptops are great, but I prefer a desktop. I really don't travel or move around much. You can peek around, and every choice is highly configurable. But pricey!! But all the products and parts to build their PC's are top notch!
    Wow... yeah... looks like everything on there is all complete systems. I tried searching a couple times for an external bluray 4K player burner and just got desktops.

I figure I'm going to need an external 4K drive also.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

@jimnyc

I mean HOLY SHIT 'N SHINOLA... this tech took care of stuff the last SIX techs had no idea. This guy knew his shit and he went the EXTRA MILE. He first tested the main drop coming over to the house from the pole and he said it had "noise." Well W.I.T.F. didn't any of the other techs that's been here see that? Maybe they just didn't want to go through the trouble of getting down the huge ladder and going up the pole and REPLACING IT, but he did, like NOTHING and he was done, and he replaced virtually ALL the other cables, even new connectors, did an outstanding job, everything super neat, cables even tied up, and then we tested it and it hadn't changed the speed, so just like my SON had said, he went into the modem and changed the DUPLEXING so I wasn't SHARING my cable with anyone else, and WOW WOWWIE WOW... HOLY CRAP, I HAVE VIRTUALLY THE SAME SPEED WIFI AS I DO WIRED ETHERNET NOW at 120Mbps down. He also fixed the new Tivo box in the shop so it reflected my saved channels on the main box. I could NOT be HAPPIER. I'm going to leave the guy a SMOKIN' GOOD review. Whatever they're paying him, this guy deserves a RAISE.

Wifi in the shop...

Mediacoms own speed test, from a different server...

I am ONE HAPPY CAMPER. Nothing wrong with this old computer at all. Been watching 4K VIDEO on YOUTUBE, STREAMING ABSOLUTELY GLITCH FREEE... just AWESOME. DAMN I'm happy...
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-19-2019 at 02:27 PM.

12. Likes Kathianne, jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Wow... yeah... looks like everything on there is all complete systems. I tried searching a couple times for an external bluray 4K player burner and just got desktops.

I figure I'm going to need an external 4K drive also.
    They only sell systems at that company, but all the guts are top notch. If looking for just parts, I like to use Tigerdirect, or locally I drive to a Microcenter store.

@jimnyc

I mean HOLY SHIT 'N SHINOLA...

I am ONE HAPPY CAMPER. Nothing wrong with this old computer at all. Been watching 4K VIDEO on YOUTUBE, STREAMING ABSOLUTELY GLITCH FREEE... just AWESOME. DAMN I'm happy...
    Excellent news bro!! Glad you're back to where you should be.

14. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

They only sell systems at that company, but all the guts are top notch. If looking for just parts, I like to use Tigerdirect, or locally I drive to a Microcenter store.

Excellent news bro!! Glad you're back to where you should be.
    I ordered that big Dell.

I'm just sick and tired of this OLD DINOSAUR I have in my shop. Music streaming has started screwing up and the sound is crap. It jumps out and in of stereo and cuts out, and I know it's the computer. I've changed HDMI cables, and checked everything else multiple times, and it's not my receiver because it plays TV and streaming music off Mediacom perfect. So I can move my other much newer, only a year old, HP desktop from the house out here to the shop and SHIT CAN this ANCIENT old HP out here. It has to be 15 years old AT LEAST. It was designed for Windows XP and it's been a PAIN IN THE ASS from DAY ONE. My son threw this old thing together YEARS ago, and I've milked it and fixed and tried to get it to work better but to no avail. It's HISTORY.

Ya know, there's just no denying, at least for me anyway, how large of a part computers play in my life. I use ALL my computers DAILY, for all sorts of stuff. I'm just SUNK without them, and they all have a different function. The laptop because it's portable, the backroom desktop for streaming music to the Yamaha amp for when I'm working out, and other things of course, and the shop computer because I look stuff up for information on fixing things, and music also, of course, and I've gotten used to that... I NEED IT...

I SURELY didn't want to dump $2,500 on a computer right now, but, such is life. I put it on payments so it will be less painful.

@jimnyc
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-20-2019 at 03:19 PM.

16. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I won't spend more than $500 on a computer lol and desk tops are FOR dinosaurs like Jimmy

18. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    I won't spend more than $500 on a computer lol and desk tops are FOR dinosaurs like Jimmy
    Then you're going home with a Walmart special for 500 or less you fu**er!! j/k

But my favorite saying of all time is "You get what you pay for". I've done the bare bones and buy every piece myself far too many times to care, like a million times. Gets to be a pain after awhile. So off to system build land to just get it all in one shot. I don't have any issue with laptops. I have 2 tablets in addition to my desktops. But if I were to get me a laptop I would want an old fashioned docking station. I'm talking one that you drop into place in a port and you can close it and go to the KB/Mouse/monitor and use it just as well as a desktop - almost. Not as expandable, if at all. And one pain in the ass to work on if you ever tried to open yourself!! I prefer to work on the issues myself instead of sending it out for repairs, so I have to then have access to the guts for swaps and upgrades. Not to mention, IMO, I think a desktop is just faster. I can have 2-3 drives inside the unit, and a DVD unit, and then have a million connections on the outside to add-on. Just more expandable. But yeah, you newfound liberal types like to get your laptops and go to Starbucks for a coffee or seventy.

Me?

20. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Then you're going home with a Walmart special for 500 or less you fu**er!! j/k

But my favorite saying of all time is "You get what you pay for". I've done the bare bones and buy every piece myself far too many times to care, like a million times. Gets to be a pain after awhile. So off to system build land to just get it all in one shot. I don't have any issue with laptops. I have 2 tablets in addition to my desktops. But if I were to get me a laptop I would want an old fashioned docking station. I'm talking one that you drop into place in a port and you can close it and go to the KB/Mouse/monitor and use it just as well as a desktop - almost. Not as expandable, if at all. And one pain in the ass to work on if you ever tried to open yourself!! I prefer to work on the issues myself instead of sending it out for repairs, so I have to then have access to the guts for swaps and upgrades. Not to mention, IMO, I think a desktop is just faster. I can have 2-3 drives inside the unit, and a DVD unit, and then have a million connections on the outside to add-on. Just more expandable. But yeah, you newfound liberal types like to get your laptops and go to Starbucks for a coffee or seventy.

Me?

I believe that if you're going to buy a monster desktop, you need one that's been designed for all the high end components it has. The mother board has to be a monster as well.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I believe that if you're going to buy a monster desktop, you need one that's been designed for all the high end components it has. The mother board has to be a monster as well.
    It looks tiny in comparison to the old days - but I chose the Z390-P intel based motherboard, where I could then put the I9. Also built in wifi for accessing other crap.

23. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

It looks tiny in comparison to the old days - but I chose the Z390-P intel based motherboard, where I could then put the I9. Also built in wifi for accessing other crap.
    Yeah gotta have the built in wifi, and I like built in bluetooth also, I use that.

I'm feeling pretty good regardless of the cost... buy it now or buy it later... it's going to cost the same amount either way, and I was planning on buying it.

And hopefully it will last me for years. Nicest computer I've ever bought for sure.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-20-2019 at 04:48 PM.