Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

2. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Gunny liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

The Cabot Phillips article pretty-much covers it. Like everything else nowadays, I don't see anyone doing anything to stop it. Just imagine, "American History, as brought to you by the NYT's fiction department"
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

IMO, this is just another, NE, industrial cities-think, ESPECIALLY NYC that thinks and has always thought it drives the train for the US, getting a toe in the door and spreading its poison like a virus. Being from the South and SW, NYC, Chicago, Philly, DC are foreign countries always shoving their crap on everyone else. It's always been that way and this is just more of the same.

NO thought is ever give to the fact that those places are NOT the center of the damned World. Our culture down here is mostly Hispanic, Native American and white/Euro. Black culture and its "impact" down here ain't shit. Nobody cares what they think in the NE; which, I consider part of the problem since with it comes nobody's paying attention to what the rats are doing in the NE.

I haven't heard a world of this from my daughter, who is a public school teacher. I am quite sure I would have if this garbage was being pushed. We just have to deal with stuff down here like "Davy Crockett survived the battle of the Alamo and died on his knees begging for his life" from the revisionist Hispanics.

So all of that to ponder the question: Wonder how this 1619 Project BS is going to go over with the Hispanics? I'm thinking not real well, and they're going to outnumber the blacks soon enough.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default 1619 is a Trojan horse for Reparations IMO

They don't want to teach the truth, just their opinion of what Slavery means to them in order to Demand that ALL AMERICANS are responsible for Slavery that began long before the USA became a nation.

If the 1619 project is serious. Let them go to the ACLU and collect their Reparations from The Founding Fathers, and Everyone who signed the Declaration of Independence. They weren't all rich White Men who are now called WHITE SUPREMISTS.

As for me. The 1619 Project can just KISS MY YOU KNOW WHAT with a BIG PUCKER!
    I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.
    Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    IMO, this is just another, NE, industrial cities-think, ESPECIALLY NYC that thinks and has always thought it drives the train for the US, getting a toe in the door and spreading its poison like a virus. Being from the South and SW, NYC, Chicago, Philly, DC are foreign countries always shoving their crap on everyone else. It's always been that way and this is just more of the same.

NO thought is ever give to the fact that those places are NOT the center of the damned World. Our culture down here is mostly Hispanic, Native American and white/Euro. Black culture and its "impact" down here ain't shit. Nobody cares what they think in the NE; which, I consider part of the problem since with it comes nobody's paying attention to what the rats are doing in the NE.

I haven't heard a world of this from my daughter, who is a public school teacher. I am quite sure I would have if this garbage was being pushed. We just have to deal with stuff down here like "Davy Crockett survived the battle of the Alamo and died on his knees begging for his life" from the revisionist Hispanics.

So all of that to ponder the question: Wonder how this 1619 Project BS is going to go over with the Hispanics? I'm thinking not real well, and they're going to outnumber the blacks soon enough.
    It’s already big in public schools for middle:high schools for this year.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    It’s already big in public schools for middle:high schools for this year.
    Where? My understanding is curriculum is a State decision. Ashley teaches 1st grade. They're idea of history I'm sure is what happened 3 minutes ago

If that is the case, I'm surprised no one has brought a lawsuit against it. It's just lies. But then, I wouldn't have thought a LOT of things going on right now would be.

8. Likes icansayit liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Where? My understanding is curriculum is a State decision. Ashley teaches 1st grade. They're idea of history I'm sure is what happened 3 minutes ago

If that is the case, I'm surprised no one has brought a lawsuit against it. It's just lies. But then, I wouldn't have thought a LOT of things going on right now would be.
    Standards are the state decision, how they are administered is up to the teacher/principal. There's lots of teacher in TX planning on incorporating the project into their lesson plans.

I belong to probably 6 private social studies teaching groups online, private in the sense you have to be admitted, not open to general public-thus if you peruse my FB or Twitter, these posts do not show. (Hidden forum if you will.) Obviously the younger, newer teachers are the most prolific in posting and most excited about anything 'new,' well just because. (I mean it would be nice if they learned a bit before, but heh.)

As I said, while it's mostly the younger/newer teachers that are all excited, there are several administrators and department chairs that have said this is 'important' to get started on, even with pandemic. Of course it will easily work with the 'first amendment' lessons we've all learned this year. Again,

10. Thanks Gunny, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Default 1619 Project

I've been so pissed since I read about this in NYT, that I was hoping someone else would start the discussion, alas.

So, the NYT has decided we should all look at American history through the slave perspective. It is only they, that have done anything towards making America a semi-decent place to be. Any accomplishments have been on their backs or by them. Seriously. They have even come up with lesson plans made in conjunction with the Smithsonian, thus using all of our money to change history.

Oh the Founding Fathers? )They don't capitalize that title, they were just lucky heirs to what had already been done with the slaves. The entire Revolution was a response to England wanting to end slavery. There is no mention of the thousands of years that slavery existed prior to 1619, it was all those English colonists doing.

https://chicagoboyz.net/archives/605...omment-1021541

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...rget-trump-too

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    The NYT aka, There is no Ukrainian Fame Times, aka There is no Holocaust Times? When it comes to revising history, the NYT are Zen masters

My feeling is that all education in this country should include a study of the Greek and Roman classics, and a required curriculum in the United States in the US Constitution

All of this should be done at the expense of gender studies, and multiculturalism studies
    How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin. - Ronald Reagan

12. Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Standards are the state decision, how they are administered is up to the teacher/principal. There's lots of teacher in TX planning on incorporating the project into their lesson plans.

I belong to probably 6 private social studies teaching groups online, private in the sense you have to be admitted, not open to general public-thus if you peruse my FB or Twitter, these posts do not show. (Hidden forum if you will.) Obviously the younger, newer teachers are the most prolific in posting and most excited about anything 'new,' well just because. (I mean it would be nice if they learned a bit before, but heh.)

As I said, while it's mostly the younger/newer teachers that are all excited, there are several administrators and department chairs that have said this is 'important' to get started on, even with pandemic. Of course it will easily work with the 'first amendment' lessons we've all learned this year. Again,
    While it's not only these schools, they are cited about the incorporation. Note the date, which is just at the beginning of the pandemic coverage, likely slowing down implementation district wide. Individual teachers however are planning on using pretty widely, if my contacts are typical:

https://reason.com/2020/01/28/1619-p...ublic-schools/

Public Schools Are Teaching The 1619 Project in Class, Despite Concerns From Historians
    "Mandating the use of The 1619 Project in K-12 curricula is at best premature until these issues are resolved."
    ROBBY SOAVE | 1.28.2020 9:57 AM

The 1619 Project—The New York Times Magazine's much vaunted series of essays about the introduction of African slavery to the Americas—will now be taught in K-12 schools around the country.

School districts in Chicago, Washington, D.C., and Buffalo, New York, have decided to update their history curricula to include the material, which posits that the institution of slavery was so embedded in the country's DNA that the country's true founding could be said to have occurred in 1619, rather than in 1776.

"One of the things that we are looking at in implementing The 1619 Project is to let everyone know that the issues around the legacy of enslavement that exist today, it's an American issue, it's not a Black issue," Dr. Fatima Morrell, associate superintendent for culturally and linguistically responsive initiatives for Buffalo Public Schools, told Buffalo's NPR station.

Buffalo teachers and administrators have already begun studying the 1619 material so they can implement it into their curricula. The NPR story correctly notes that the essays examine "lesser-known consequences of slavery," like "how plantation economics led to modern corporate, capitalist culture."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default Nobody dared to mention this about the 1619 project...

A personal check on my own has found that most all of the States who plan to use this 1619 crap are.......DEMOCRAT controlled. Therefore...the teacher unions have a massive hand in it where the LIBERAL, LEFT WING, HATE AMERICA teachers have the opportunity to teach IGNORANCE to our children without being observed by parents. And the kids are sworn to NEVER disclose what the teachers talk about or...their GRADES are useless.

Not my opinion. Just a FACT most do not want to touch. If that offends anyone...GOOD.
    I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.
    Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

@Gunny

How weird, just came across this tonight: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...NCnkhqNrrrYo6U

It's comparing the exact same textbooks, which differ because of the state they are bought by. The chose TX and CA to contrast and compare. Two textbooks, one by McGraw-Hill, the other Pearson, (used to be Prentice-Hall), they are actually two of three major text suppliers for most public schools across the country. Both use Zinn acolytes as consultants, of course.

You can actually see how the state standards are incorporated into the state's edition of the text. THEN, you can read how teachers use their own 'resources' to 'enrich' and enlighten their students-you'll see they seem to cite TX teachers more than CA, because the state standards are exactly inline with many teachers perspectives.
    Last edited by Kathianne; 08-12-2020 at 08:13 PM.

16. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Memory hole indeed:

https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morri...im-disappears/

I'm copying, for fear that this will be removed at some point:

Memory Hole II, NYT Boogaloo: “Our True Founding” Claim Disappears From 1619 Project

ED MORRISSEYPosted at 4:01 pm on September 21, 2020

It’s one thing to see intellectual dishonesty from radical activist groups like Black Lives Matter. Their primary purpose, both ostensibly and actually, is to campaign for their agenda, not to act as keepers of a public record. If they decide that their publicly declared agenda hampers that purpose, then discarding it may not be a terribly honest approach, but it’s not exactly surprising either.

When a media outlet that styles itself as America’s Paper of Record starts altering that record to cover its tracks, that’s an entirely different matter. After a year of hailing Nikole Hannah-Jones’ “1619 Project” as a necessary step to understanding slavery as “our true founding,” both the New York Times and Hannah-Jones tried to send that claim down the memory hole — despite the fact that both promoted it as the basic message of their historical revisionism, and criticism of the “1619 Project” focused on that claim from the start. The entire point of Hannah-Jones’ essays were to recast the American Revolution as an attempt to cling to slavery rather than launch an experiment in self-governing democracy.

The term “memory hole” comes from George Orwell’s
    , and it fits,
    writes Phillip Magness at Quillette
    :

The history of the American Revolution isn’t the only thing the New York Times is revising through its 1619 Project. The “paper of record” has also taken to quietly altering the published text of the project itself after one of its claims came under intense criticism.
    When the 1619 Project went to print in August 2019 as a special edition of the New York Times Magazine, the newspaper put up an interactive version on its website. The original opening text stated:

The 1619 project is a major initiative from The New York Times observing the 400th anniversary of the beginning of American slavery. It aims to reframe the country’s history, understanding 1619 as our true founding, and placing the consequences of slavery and the contributions of black Americans at the very center of our national narrative. [emphasis added] …

For several months after the 1619 Project first launched, its creator and organizer Nikole Hannah-Jones doubled down on the claim. “I argue that 1619 is our true founding,” she tweeted the week after the project launched. “Also, look at the banner pic in my profile”—a reference to the graphic of the date 1776 crossed out with a line. It’s a claim she repeated many times over.

Until now, anyway:

Rather than address this controversy directly, the Times—it now appears—decided to send it down the memory hole—the euphemized term for selectively editing inconvenient passages out of old newspaper reports in George Orwell’s dystopian novel 1984. Without announcement or correction, the newspaper quietly edited out the offending passage such that it now reads:

The 1619 Project is an ongoing initiative from The New York Times Magazine that began in August 2019, the 400th anniversary of the beginning of American slavery. It aims to reframe the country’s history by placing the consequences of slavery and the contributions of black Americans at the very center of our national narrative.

Discovery of this edit came about earlier this week when Nikole Hannah-Jones went on CNN to deny that she had ever sought to displace 1776 with a new founding date of 1619. She repeated the point in a now-deleted tweet: “The #1619Project does not argue that 1619 was our true founding. We know this nation marks its founding at 1776.” It was not the first time that Hannah-Jones had tried to alter her self-depiction of the project’s aims on account of the controversial line. She attempted a similar revision a few months ago during an online spat with conservative commentator Ben Shapiro.

Last night, Magness supported his argument with a lengthy Twitter thread (via Twitchy):

Magness reproduces said banner pic in his Quillette essay:

That’s game, set, and match to Magness, but he has more on this deception from Hannah-Jones. Be sure to read it all.

The issue here, though, isn’t Hannah-Jones. She’s hardly the first activist to give a slanted analysis of history in which good points get drowned in a sea of bias and hyperbole, and she won’t be the last. Hannah-Jones also isn’t the first to react dishonestly to that criticism and flat-out lie to avoid it, either, although we’d hope she’ll be the last. In the Internet age, there are just too many receipts created for that strategy to succeed — as Hannah-Jones is currently discovering.

The big issue here is the New York Times, which is supposed to be a gatekeeper against this kind of dishonesty. Instead, they apparently decided to become an active participant in it. Rather than being the Paper of Record, they altered the record and tried to pretend that nothing at all changed. The fundamental errors in the “1619 Project” got repeatedly pointed out by critics across the political spectrum, with the most substantial and withering coming from the World Socialist Web Site, of all places.

When confronted by refutations from actual historians, the New York Times refused to issue corrections, which was bad enough. Now we find out that the Paper of Record clandestinely edited the record to give its activist cover. That speaks volumes about the credibility of the “1619 Project” and the NYT’s ambitions to repackage it as academic curriculum, but also to the overall credibility of the entire NYT enterprise. The Oceania of Orwell’s imagination could hardly have had a more compliant newspaper than the Winston Smith-edited New York Times.

18. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Memory hole indeed:

I'm copying, for fear that this will be removed at some point:
    Unbelievable. And yet fully believable at the same time. Today's media.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

20. Thanks Kathianne, Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Some haven't forgotten:

https://www.nas.org/blogs/article/pu...ah-jones-prize

Pulitzer Board Must Revoke Nikole Hannah-Jones' Prize
    Peter Wood

Article
    October 06, 2020
    American History Open Letter 1620 Project

The National Association of Scholars has agreed to host this public letter to the Pulitzer Prize Board. The letter calls on the Board to rescind the prize it awarded to Nikole Hannah-Jones earlier this year. I am one of the 21 signatories. A hard copy has been mailed to the Pulitzer Committee as well as a digital copy.

—Peter Wood, President, National Association of Scholars

We call on the Pulitzer Prize Board to rescind the 2020 Prize for Commentary awarded to Nikole Hannah-Jones for her lead essay in “The 1619 Project.” That essay was entitled, “Our democracy’s founding ideals were false when they were written.” But it turns out the article itself was false when written, making a large claim that protecting the institution of slavery was a primary motive for the American Revolution, a claim for which there is simply no evidence.

We call on the Pulitzer Prize Board to rescind the 2020 Prize for Commentary awarded to Nikole Hannah-Jones for her lead essay in “The 1619 Project.”

When the Board announced the prize on May 4, 2020, it praised Hannah-Jones for “a sweeping, deeply reported and personal essay for the ground-breaking 1619 Project, which seeks to place the enslavement of Africans at the center of America’s story, prompting public conversation about the nation’s founding and evolution.” Note well the last five words. Clearly the award was meant not merely to honor this one isolated essay, but the Project as a whole, with its framing contention that the year 1619, the date when some twenty Africans arrived at Jamestown, ought to be regarded as the nation’s “true founding,” supplanting the long-honored date of July 4, 1776, which marked the emergence of the United States as an independent nation.

Beginning almost immediately after its publication, though, the essay and the Project ran into controversy. It has been subjected to searching criticism by many of the foremost historians of our time and by the Times’ own fact checker. The scrutiny has left the essay discredited, so much so that the Times has felt the need to go back and change a crucial passage in it, softening but not eliminating its unsupported assertion about slavery and the Revolution.

The Project as a whole was marred by similar faults. Prominent historians, most of them deeply sympathetic to the Project’s goal of bringing the African American experience more fully into our understanding of the American past, nevertheless felt obliged to point out, in public statements beginning in September 2019, the Project’s serious factual errors, specious generalizations, and forced interpretations. Hannah-Jones did not refute these criticisms or answer them in a respectful or meaningful way. Instead, she dismissed them. In December 2019 five prominent historians wrote a joint letter to The New York Times expressing their “strong reservations about important aspects of the 1619 Project.”1 The New York Times Magazine’s editor-in-chief Jake Silverstein brushed aside the letter with the explanation that “historical understanding is not fixed; it is constantly being adjusted by new scholarship and new voices.”2 True enough; but he refrained from also mentioning that the advance of historical understanding always involves the testing of new interpretations through a process of open criticism and the free exchange of ideas in honest debate, the very things that Hannah-Jones has consistently disdained. Despite this stonewalling, the criticisms of The 1619 Project continued, notably in another joint letter signed by twelve other historians on December 30. Mr. Silverstein again responded, saying that the Times’s “research desk” had examined their criticisms and “concluded no corrections are warranted.”3

The duplicity of attempting to alter the historical record in a manner intended to deceive the public is as serious an infraction against professional ethics as a journalist can commit.

But that was not the end of it. On March 6, 2020, historian Leslie M. Harris, one of the Times’s own fact-checkers, revealed that she had warned the newspaper that an assertion that “the patriots fought the American Revolution in large part to preserve slavery in North America” was plainly false. Harris identified numerous other mistakes that she had pointed out to the Times in advance of the publication of The 1619 Project, none of which was corrected. The Times did, however, respond to Harris’s March 6 revelation by adding the above-mentioned correction on March 11. Where Hannah-Jones had originally written, “one of the primary reasons the colonists decided to declare their independence from Britain was because they wanted to protect the institution of slavery,” the new text says “some of the colonists.” Even this softened assertion has little or no documentary basis, according to the most distinguished specialists in the period.

Hannah-Jones’s refusal to correct her errors or engage her critics, we have recently learned, was accompanied by surreptitious efforts by The New York Times to alter the record of what it had published in the original magazine of August 18, 2019. Providing no public explanation or acknowledgment of its actions, the Times amended the digital version of the Project text. Not until September 19, 2020, when historian Phillip Magness compared the original and digital versions of the essay in the journal Quillette, did the alterations come to light.4 These were not changes to Hannah-Jones’s essay itself, but to the crucially important introductory materials whose claims—for example, the “reframing” of American history with the year 1619 as the nation’s “true founding”—form the underlying rationale of the entire Project.

Correcting factual errors in their published works, of course, is an important responsibility of both the journalistic and scholarly press. But such corrections are typically and rightly made openly and explicitly. The author and the publisher acknowledge an error and correct it. That is not what happened in this case. Rather, the false claims were erased or altered with no explanation, and Hannah-Jones then proceeded to claim that she had never said or written what in fact she has said and written repeatedly, assertions that the Project materials also made. Fortunately, we have a documentary record to the contrary, in the form of the original publication, in addition to extensive video footage of Hannah-Jones (and Silverstein) making precisely the claims that she now denies having made.5

The duplicity of attempting to alter the historical record in a manner intended to deceive the public is as serious an infraction against professional ethics as a journalist can commit. A “sweeping, deeply reported and personal essay,” as the Pulitzer Prize Board called it, does not have the license to sweep its own errors into obscurity or the remit to publish “deeply reported” falsehoods.

The Pulitzer Prize Board erred in awarding a prize to Hannah-Jones’s profoundly flawed essay, and through it to a Project that, despite its worthy intentions, is disfigured by unfounded conjectures and patently false assertions.

The Pulitzer Prize Board erred in awarding a prize to Hannah-Jones’s profoundly flawed essay, and through it to a Project that, despite its worthy intentions, is disfigured by unfounded conjectures and patently false assertions. To err is human. But now that it has come to light that these materials have been “corrected” without public disclosure and Hannah-Jones has falsely put forward claims that she never said or wrote what she plainly did, the offense is far more serious. It is time for the Pulitzer Prize Board to acknowledge its error rather than compound it. Given the glaring historical fallacy at the heart of its account, and the subsequent breaches of core journalistic ethics by both Hannah-Jones and the Times, “Our democracy’s founding ideals were false when they were written” does not deserve the honor conferred upon it. Nor does The 1619 Project of which it is a central part, and which the Board seeks to honor by honoring Hannah-Jones’s essay. The Board should acknowledge that its award was an error. It can and should correct that error by withdrawing the prize.

Signatories
    William B. Allen, Professor of Political Philosophy, James Madison College, Michigan State University.

Larry P. Arnn, President, Hillsdale College.

James Ceaser, Professor of Politics, The University of Virginia.

John Ellis, Professor emeritus of German literature at the University of California, Santa Cruz.

Burton Folsom, Distinguished Fellow, Hillsdale College.

Mark David Hall, The Herbert Hoover Distinguished Professor of Politics, George Fox University.

Victor Davis Hanson, The Martin and Illie Anderson Senior Fellow at the Hoover Institution.

Charles Kesler, Professor of Government at Claremont McKenna College and Claremont Graduate University.

Roger Kimball, Editor and Publisher, The New Criterion; Publisher, Encounter Books.

Stanley Kurtz, Senior Fellow, Ethics and Public Policy Center.

Glenn Loury, The Merton P. Stoltz Professor of the Social Sciences, Department of Economics, Brown University.

Phillip W. Magness, Senior Research Fellow, American Institute for Economic Research.

Myron Magnet, Editor-at-Large, City Journal, The Manhattan Institute.

Wilfred M. McClay, The G.T. and Libby Blankenship Chair in the History of Liberty, University of Oklahoma.

Lucas Morel, The John K. Boardman, Jr. Professor of Politics, Washington and Lee University.

Paul Moreno, The William and Berniece Grewcock Chair in Constitutional History, Hillsdale College.

Robert Paquette, Founder, Alexander Hamilton Institute for the Study of Western Civilization.

Paul Rahe, Professor of History, and Charles O. Lee and Louise K. Lee Chair in the Western Heritage, Hillsdale College.

Colleen Sheehan, Professor of Political Science, Villanova University.

Peter Wood, President, National Association of Scholars.

Jean Yarbrough, Professor of Government and Gary M. Pendy, Sr. Professor of Social Sciences, Bowdoin College.

Additional Signatories
    Jonathan J. Bean, Professor of History, Southern Illinois University; Research Fellow, Independent Institute.

Angelo M. Codevilla, Emeritus Professor of International Relations, Boston University; Senior Fellow, Independent Institute.

Williamson M. Evers, Senior Fellow and Director, Center on Educational Excellence, Independent Institute.

William F. Shughart II, J. Fish Smith Professor in Public Choice, Utah State University; Research Director, Independent Institute.

David Theroux, Founder and President, Independent Institute.

Richard K. Vedder, Distinguished Emeritus Professor of Economics, Ohio University; Senior Fellow, Independent Institute; Member, Board of Directors, National Assocation of Scholars.

Graham H. Walker, Executive Director, Independent Institute.

1 Victoria Bynum, James M. McPherson, James Oakes, Sean Wilentz, and Gordon Wood, The New York Times Magazine, December 29, 2019.

2 Jake Silverstein, “We Respond to the Historians Who Critiqued The 1619 Project,” The New York Times Magazine, December 29, 2019, https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/20/m...9-project.html.

3 William B. Allen; Michael A. Burlingame; Joseph R. Fornieri; Allen C. Guelzo; Peter Kolchin; Glenn W. LaFantasie; Lucas E. Morel; George C. Rable; Diana J. Schaub; Colleen A. Sheehan; Steven B. Smith; and Michael P. Zuckert, “Twelve Scholars Critique The 1619 Project and The New York Times Magazine Editor Responds,” History News Network, January 26, 2020.

4 Phillip W. Magness, “Down The 1619 Project’s Memory Hole,” Quillette, September 19, 2020, https://quillette.com/2020/09/19/dow...s-memory-hole/.

5 See the comments of Conor Friedersdorf and numerous video links here: https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/20...o-a-minefield/

22. Thanks Mr. P, SassyLady, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morri...-organization/

NYT Managing Editor: “Firmly Reject” Criticism Of 1619 Project, “Fell Fully Within Our Standards As A News Organization”
    ED MORRISSEYPosted at 12:01 pm on October 13, 2020

In other words, everything conservatives have said about editorial standards at the New York Times turns out to be true. After columnist Bret Stephens finally opened up some in-house criticism of the “1619 Project,” pressure built on the organization to respond to the accusations of editorial and intellectual dishonesty and inaccuracies in both the project itself and how the NYT comported itself afterward. Managing editor Dean Baquet finally responded just a few minutes ago by proclaiming that all of the issues Stephens identified — criticisms which have also percolated for months across the political spectrum — “fell fully within our standards as a news organization.”

Well, at least Baquet’s honest about intellectual dishonesty at the Gray Lady:

This column, however, raised questions about the journalistic ethics and standards of 1619 and the work of Nikole Hannah-Jones, who inspired and drove the project. That criticism I firmly reject. The project fell fully within our standards as a news organization. In fact, 1619 — and especially the work of Nikole — fill me with pride. Our readers, and I believe our country, have benefited immensely from the principled, rigorous and groundbreaking journalism of Nikole and the full team of writers and editors who brought us this transformative work.

Which part of these fills Baquet with pride?

The NYT memory-holing the claim that 1619 was the country’s “true founding” without acknowledging their post-facto edits, let alone explaining them:
    Hannah-Jones dishonestly denying she or the paper made that claim
    Ignoring input from actual experts in the field about the arguments and conclusions made in the 1619 Project prior to publication
    Ignoring repeated criticisms by experts in the field after publication
    Refusing to issue corrections to factual errors and misrepresentations
    Baquet never addresses these issues. In fact, his statement is remarkable for its utter lack of response to either Stephens or to the myriad other critics of the 1619 Project and the Times, both substantively and ethically, for their handling of the controversy. In his silence, Baquet tacitly approves of all these tactics, and not just approves but positively embraces them.

If the media industry wonders why the American public ranks them below Congress in terms of trustworthiness, they should recall this stance from the “Paper of Record” — the one that stealth-edited the record and then proclaimed that it was proud of itself. Without ever answering any criticism or providing even a rudimentary form of accountability, no less. The message here is clear: We can lie to you with impunity, and we don’t even care if you catch us.

Message received, Mr. Baquet. Loud and clear.

24. Likes aboutime liked this post