Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Default England 5% Residences Have AC?

Same with Paris? Average temps are pretty close to Chicago or New York.

http://sultanknish.blogspot.com/2019...europeans.html

Really.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

2. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

I’s say the average for the U.K. is well less than 5%

Look at a world map, the U.K. is as far North as middle Canada, our houses for the most part are designed to keep heat in, these freakish (and yet seemingly now common) spikes in temperature are not something we’re prepared for, for good reason.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Same with Paris? Average temps are pretty close to Chicago or New York.

http://sultanknish.blogspot.com/2019...europeans.html

Really.
    We never had air-conditioning as kids unless you count a window fan that would blow in one room only-- the kitchen.
    Was tough in these hot Southern summers here but we managed.
    First air-conditioning I got was when I rented my first place at age 18.
    I have never been without it since, that is 47 years now.
    They want to die following a damn lie--(global warming scam), I say let 'em, as they already invited in their executioners---the muslims.. --Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

5. Thanks Kathianne, Drummond, Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    We never had air-conditioning as kids unless you count a window fan that would blow in one room only-- the kitchen.
    They want to die following a damn lie--(global warming scam), I say let 'em, as they already invited in their executioners---the muslims.. --Tyr
    Yep, we never had any a/c in any house we lived in either. The first a/c my parents ever got in a house of their's was a window unit. First a/c I ever had was in the first apartment I moved into, and like you bro, I've had a/c everywhere I've lived since. I have central a/c in my house now. Wouldn't be without it. It not only cools the air, but it removes humidity as well, and I just can not sleep when it's STICKY hot. I need to be cool with no humidity. Speaking of which, it was 56 here in SW WI last night, nice night, with nights coming possibly in the 40's. They're saying the month of September could all be colder than average temps. Fine with me. I'm always ready for cooler weather after a hot summer. I can get back outside and work without being drenched in sweat.

Yeah the Europeans... that's just nuts.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-22-2019 at 08:09 AM.

7. Thanks Kathianne, Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Drummond, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Much though it goes against the grain to do so, I'm in agreement with Noir on this one. Air conditioning in British homes is a rarity (I've certainly never had it). That's usually reserved for office environments.

Ours isn't a particularly warm climate ! Noir overlooks that the British Isles gets environmental help from the Gulf Stream .. we usually have warmer winters than would be typical for this latitude. I don't think it helps in summer, though.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...rature-of-387c

See the link .. our highest ever temperature was set last July 29th, at 101 degrees Fahrenheit. Normally even London is lucky to get to the mid-Nineties in summer. Where I am, in Wales, we think of 80 degrees as heatwave territory. A ten degree difference between here and London (only around 150 miles distant from me) is typical of our summers.

Today ... our 'high' will be just 68 degrees. We're in for a warm spell, though, which may take the temperature to the upper Seventies ...
    Last edited by Drummond; 08-22-2019 at 09:57 AM.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

9. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Gunny thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

We didn't have AC when I was a kid. Yes it's nice. It also has defined later generations here. It's ridiculous to me. Our street was loaded with kids all summer when I was one. This place now is a ghost town all summer. AC and video games and some fat-food snacks and who needs to leave the house?

I recall teeny-boppers working in the malls here looking down their noses at us when we were working a job there because we were hot and sweaty and worked outside in the S Texas sun with not one thought given to the fact I was getting paid 2 and a half times what their pampered asses were. But the mentality here for teens is "get an inside job for the summer THEN worry about the money".

Wimps
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

11. Likes Drummond, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    You're a fucking whack job, too bad you're also a pussy who has me on ignore because you can't handle being called out for being an idiot. Europe's not having AC in most residences has NOTHING to do with climate change you idiot. I have several European friends and they don't have AC in their homes for the same reason you don't see many homes in South Africa with heaters. It's just not necessary. They pop over here for a visit in the summer time when the temperature is 90 degrees with 85 percent humidity and not one of them is like "oh don't turn on the a/c think of the environment"

I reiterate, you're a pussy moron.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    We didn't have AC when I was a kid. Yes it's nice. It also has defined later generations here. It's ridiculous to me. Our street was loaded with kids all summer when I was one. This place now is a ghost town all summer. AC and video games and some fat-food snacks and who needs to leave the house?

I recall teeny-boppers working in the malls here looking down their noses at us when we were working a job there because we were hot and sweaty and worked outside in the S Texas sun with not one thought given to the fact I was getting paid 2 and a half times what their pampered asses were. But the mentality here for teens is "get an inside job for the summer THEN worry about the money".

Wimps
    Same here Gunny, my parents didn't put AC in the house until well after all us kids had moved out. Now when I built a new house, yes it has central air lol. And in the summer time I make my kids go out and play no different than my parents made me. Some of these kids I see today, I wonder if they ever spend ANY time outdoors.

14. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    You're a fucking whack job, too bad you're also a pussy who has me on ignore because you can't handle being called out for being an idiot. Europe's not having AC in most residences has NOTHING to do with climate change you idiot. I have several European friends and they don't have AC in their homes for the same reason you don't see many homes in South Africa with heaters. It's just not necessary. They pop over here for a visit in the summer time when the temperature is 90 degrees with 85 percent humidity and not one of them is like "oh don't turn on the a/c think of the environment"

I reiterate, you're a pussy moron.

Hmmm, you're not playing nice, bad day? Seems Tyr read the OP article, here's the link in case there's a problem with your finding it: http://sultanknish.blogspot.com/2019...europeans.html

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

16. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter, Drummond liked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    Much though it goes against the grain to do so, I'm in agreement with Noir on this one. Air conditioning in British homes is a rarity (I've certainly never had it). That's usually reserved for office environments.

Ours isn't a particularly warm climate ! Noir overlooks that the British Isles gets environmental help from the Gulf Stream .. we usually have warmer winters than would be typical for this latitude. I don't think it helps in summer, though.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...rature-of-387c

See the link .. our highest ever temperature was set last July 29th, at 101 degrees Fahrenheit. Normally even London is lucky to get to the mid-Nineties in summer. Where I am, in Wales, we think of 80 degrees as heatwave territory. A ten degree difference between here and London (only around 150 miles distant from me) is typical of our summers.

Today ... our 'high' will be just 68 degrees. We're in for a warm spell, though, which may take the temperature to the upper Seventies ...
    I know you *think* you don’t need air-conditioning at your house, but that’s only because you’ve been brainwashed by environmentalists don’t’cha know
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

18. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    I know you *think* you don’t need air-conditioning at your house, but that’s only because you’ve been brainwashed by environmentalists don’t’cha know
    From your conclusion, then ... I take it that you don't have air conditioning yourself .... yes ?

[... Gotta be 'PC' in all things ... the Comrades would never forgive you, if you ever fail to be, eh, Noir ....]
    Last edited by Drummond; 08-23-2019 at 09:34 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    From your conclusion, then ... I take it that you don't have air conditioning yourself .... yes ?

[... Gotta be 'PC' in all things ... the Comrades would never forgive you, if you ever fail to be, eh, Noir ....]
    I don't much like AC, though in AZ it would be impossible to live without it from June-mid September.

My thermostat is at 83, in summer. It's at 75 in winter-last winter it did not go on but twice.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

I don't much like AC, though in AZ it would be impossible to live without it from June-mid September.

My thermostat is at 83, in summer. It's at 75 in winter-last winter it did not go on but twice.
    My home in northern California had no AC. Lived there 22 years. Just opened windows and skylights at night which cooled house down to low 60s and kept it around 68 during day.

Moved to AZ and I turn down AC to 66 at night and 72 during day. I don't like being warm.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    My home in northern California had no AC. Lived there 22 years. Just opened windows and skylights at night which cooled house down to low 60s and kept it around 68 during day.

Moved to AZ and I turn down AC to 66 at night and 72 during day. I don't like being warm.
    Like many here, my family didn't get central air in IL until 1980 or so. All of my homes since have had it, but in all honesty I used it 2 or 3 days in IL most years. Heat? All the time in winter! LOL!

Here, I start it when the outside temp reach 105, end of June this year. Set at 83 and that's where it stays. My bill runs about $75 per month. Heat? 2 days last year that it kicked on, kept it at 68 I believe. I wear a sweater..

If anyone reads the OP they would find that literally tens of thousands have died from not having air conditioning on 'those few days' when the temps go too high. That would mostly be infants and the elderly.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

There's the big difference. In the UK, I'd say that the only location that could possibly 'need' AC was London, and then only during comparatively short heatwaves (.. or, what we CALL 'heatwaves').

In the next couple of days, if I believe the BBC's forecast report, my location may see a peak temperature rise approaching 80 degrees F. THAT, to us, is a 'heatwave'.

I'd make this point. We're an island nation, and this lends itself towards naturally humid conditions. Any great temperature rise invariably has high humidity as well, making for an oppressive environment.

I'll never forget one of my visits to America's Eastern seaboard, early one winter ... standing outside Hartford station, waiting for a train when I was making the return journey back to New York ... it had been snowing, with a thick blanket of snow on the ground. I marvelled at the fact that I didn't even feel chilly, even with all that unmelted snow around me. There I was, unzipping my jacket, not feeling cold !

I was perfectly well at the time !

I put the experience of being 'warm' down to a lack of humidity in the air. No appreciable water vapour in the air, to lock in any coldness, no coldness 'bite' to the air, which we ALWAYS get here. It makes a quite remarkable difference. When hot -- when cold -- humidity is significant.