Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Default My congrats to Brits. Good choice!

My congrats to Brits. Good choice!

A couplet on this subject. (Not mine)

Allow a pig at table to sit
    It'll put on the table its feet
    Indifferent alike to praise or blame
    Give heed, O Muse, but to the voice Divine
    Fearing not injury, nor seeking fame,
    Nor casting pearls to swine.
    (A.Pushkin)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Balu View Post
    My congrats to Brits. Good choice!

I'm delighted that you 'approve', Balu. My life is accordingly enriched by that realisation ...

So then, Balu. Your reason for disapproval of Boris, is ... ?

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-joh...o-sue-11497162

The former foreign secretary says Vladimir Putin "really makes my blood boil", adding: "I hold that regime in absolute contempt."

Boris Johnson has branded the two Russians suspected of poisoning Sergei and Yulia Skripal "murderers" and dared them to sue him.

The former foreign secretary challenged them as he admitted the biggest mistake of his career was thinking he could deal with Vladimir Putin.

"When I became foreign secretary I thought there was no objective reason why we should be quite so hostile to Russia," he told an audience in Washington DC on Thursday.

"Yes there were lots of reasons to be suspicious, lots of reasons to be wary.

"But I thought it was possible - I made the classic, classic mistake of thinking it was possible to have a reset with Russia.

"I wanted to engage with Putin and Sergey Lavrov to see if … there were areas where we needed to engage.

"Then it just became clearer and clearer to me that that was a fool's errand."

Mr Johnson said an interview by Russian state broadcaster RT with the two men sought over the Salisbury poisoning was "satirical" and "really makes my blood boil".

Challenging Alexander Petrov and Ruslan Boshirov, the Tory MP said: "We had this outrageous event in Salisbury, Wiltshire, when two agents of the GRU were involved in the murder of Dawn Sturgess and attempted murder of others.

"And you see what's happening now with these two characters produced in this satirical way by Putin on Russian TV, asked these ludicrously patsy questions, making a mockery of the whole thing.

"And it really makes my blood boil … I hold that regime in absolute contempt.

"I'll say it now - those two guys on Russian TV are murderers. And if they dispute that fact, they can sue me in the courts."
    Needless to say, Boris Johnson was not 'sued in the courts'.

The lesson is clear, isn't it. Boris was one individual who was willing to deal, honestly and honourably, with Russia. He started out with an open, even a conciliatory, mindset.

He discovered his mistake.

And we see the inevitable result, one that can be expected of, and from, any politician (.. Western, anyway !) who possesses any real measure of honour and decency.

So tell us, Balu .. what do YOU, PERSONALLY, have against Boris ?

Is it that he doesn't subscribe to the thinking which insists that 'Might is Right' ?

Try to be objective in any reply (i.e, keep the abuse to a minimum, please !!).

P.S ...

I see it this way. A choice between two very different brands of politicians.

One orders assassinations of innocent citizens in other countries, using a poison so deadly that it threatens the health of an entire community.

The other one's diplomatic 'transgression' extends to putting a foot on a table.

Which is the more deserving of high regard, I wonder ??
    Last edited by Drummond; 08-23-2019 at 10:03 AM.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!