Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Default A$AP Rocky

Didn't say, 'Thank You, for doing what would be done for any American,' or something. If this was just normal, why would a public thank you, from a black rapper be so important?

https://news.yahoo.com/full-story-tr...161654472.html
    The tensions and drama behind the scenes of Trump's campaign to free rapper A$AP Rocky
    Hunter Walker White House Correspondent,Yahoo News•August 22, 2019

WASHINGTON — When rapper A$AP Rocky was freed from detention in Sweden and returned to the United States earlier this month, it marked the end of a bizarre saga that at one point involved the president; his son-in-law, Jared Kushner; and the State Department’s top hostage negotiator. Though President Trump’s campaign to free Rocky appeared to end well, a behind-the-scenes battle provides a unique glimpse into the unusual characters and fraught tensions involved in Trump’s outreach efforts to the black community.

According to new details provided by sources involved, Trump’s role in pushing for Rocky’s release started with a reality television megastar calling the West Wing, a mysterious entertainment industry “fixer” and two Trump supporters. The president’s allies who connected Rocky’s team with the White House hoped to facilitate a scene that would bolster Trump’s image among African-Americans. Instead, they say they were left angry when Rocky failed to thank Trump or those around him.

Ok, it wasn't 'business as usual' to have State Department officials there...

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

I keep asking myself why this is a story Who cares? Is it noteworthy because someone invoked the Donald?

What am I missing?
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I keep asking myself why this is a story Who cares? Is it noteworthy because someone invoked the Donald?

What am I missing?

How about 'privilege' and I promise, 'I'll drain the swamp!'

and then there were all those who kept saying, 'It's what the State Department does...' Sure. Go break the law in any country and you'll hear, "Their country, their laws."

Now if they throw you in a horrible prison, perhaps someone will visit and try to get some improvements. Maybe not.
    Last edited by Kathianne; 08-23-2019 at 07:57 PM.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    How about 'privilege' and I promise, 'I'll drain the swamp!'

and then there were all those who kept saying, 'It's what the State Department does...' Sure. Go break the law in any country and you'll hear, "Their country, their laws."

Now if they throw you in a horrible prison, perhaps someone will visit and try to get some improvements. Maybe not.
    It IS what the State Department does. They try to get them if they can. The bottom line is though, it IS their country and their laws. If they don't want to give you back, your bad. Your communication then too would be through the State Department. They are also required to regularly check on your health and well being.

I don't know what that has to do with "Drain the Swamp". ?
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

5. Likes Elessar liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

It IS what the State Department does. They try to get them if they can. The bottom line is though, it IS their country and their laws. If they don't want to give you back, your bad. Your communication then too would be through the State Department. They are also required to regularly check on your health and well being.

I don't know what that has to do with "Drain the Swamp". ?
    I promise, if you get yourself into problems, Pompeo will not show up, nor will the top negotiator, nor will Trump be picking up phones or typing out tweets to, "Let Gunny Go!"

Draining the swamp is about special interests. That includes people. And privilege. I never believed it, but it sure played nice at rallies. Suppose it will again.

7. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Gunny liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

I promise, if you get yourself into problems, Pompeo will not show up, nor will the top negotiator, nor will Trump be picking up phones or typing out tweets to, "Let Gunny Go!"

Draining the swamp is about special interests. That includes people. And privilege. I never believed it, but it sure played nice at rallies. Suppose it will again.
    Okay. THAT made me laugh.

9. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

I missed the second comment (STILL laughing). WHO thought in their wildest dreams that "Drain the Swamp" was going to EVER make it past 1st base? Sure as Hell wasn't ME.

That'd be like me promising to kill all the black flies in Texas
    Last edited by Gunny; 08-23-2019 at 08:37 PM.

11. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I missed the second comment (STILL laughing). WHO thought in their wildest dreams that "Drain the Swamp" was going to EVER make it past 1st base? Sure as Hell wasn't ME.

That'd be like me promising to kill all the black flies in Texas
    Contrary to some of my critics, I do have some humor beyond sarcasm. They need to give me an opening though.

13. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Gunny liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Contrary to some of my critics, I do have some humor beyond sarcasm. They need to give me an opening though.
    Well, I guess if all that went down, the LEAST A$AP Rocky could do is say thanks.

My family and I actually got out of Turkey the State Department route but it wasn't LBJ coming to get us

15. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Well, I guess if all that went down, the LEAST A$AP Rocky could do is say thanks.

My family and I actually got out of Turkey the State Department route but it wasn't LBJ coming to get us
    Now I'm laughing, "Gunny on the run!" Bet it had to do with military, where state does tend to stay involved.

A$AP not only civilian, 'he managed to complain that after he 'hit' a guy, the guy kept coming after him, stalking...'

while he was found responsible over there, seems no consequences other than small fine. Bet if it were me, it would have been different.

17. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Now I'm laughing, "Gunny on the run!" Bet it had to do with military, where state does tend to stay involved.

A$AP not only civilian, 'he managed to complain that after he 'hit' a guy, the guy kept coming after him, stalking...'

while he was found responsible over there, seems no consequences other than small fine. Bet if it were me, it would have been different.
    Wasn't like THAT LOL. Was my father showing me how to play "Gunny" correctly

Seriously, a Turk brat ran in front of my dad's car and he hit the car harder than it bumped into him. Every Turk eyeball within sight or hearing lit up with US dollar signs. They tossed us -- whole family -- in a Turkish jail overnight. Next morning we were in front of a Turk judge with the poor little "victim" bouncing off the walls in the court room in perfect health. State Department came in and got us out.

It also pays to know people, "the Donald" or no. My grandfather was on Henry B Gonzales speed -dial (fastest carrier pigeon available ) and he didn't hesitate to call in a favor for all that support since before WWII. We were on a PanAm flight to Heathrow within 48 hours.

I can promise you it wasn't about "Gunny". I'd never pass the psych evals to get assigned to Turkey. The shrink would be like "this guy wants to kill them all. Maybe we shouldn't send HIM"
    Last edited by Gunny; 08-24-2019 at 09:57 AM.

19. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

If he can't say a quick thanks, then Trump should have left his black ass over there to rot.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    If he can't say a quick thanks, then Trump should have left his black ass over there to rot.
    What the President of the United States should have done is let the situation be handled the same as Joe Average would have been handled. In my opinion. I agree with Kathianne in that regard. His celebrity status and ethnicity got him more attention than the average bear.

Good thing he wasn't counting on MY recognition of his celebrity status because I did not and still do not have any idea who he is other than some rapper who probably has the manners and personal conduct that go with the title.

22. Thanks Elessar, Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

The white house is being a total snowflake over this. Crying because the man didn't thank them. oh boo hoo, grow up. It was already exposed as a dumb gimmick to earn black voters and it failed. Seriously, Trump is the biggest snowflake. His twitter feed is daily crying meltdowns how things aren't going his way.
    Last edited by pete311; 08-24-2019 at 11:31 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete311 View Post
    The white house is being a total snowflake over this. Crying because the man didn't thank them. oh boo hoo, grow up. It was already exposed as a dumb gimmick to earn black voters and it failed. Seriously, Trump is the biggest snowflake. His twitter feed is daily crying meltdowns how things aren't going his way.
    You mean the left decided it was a dumb gimmick to get black votes? Maybe it wasn't and just maybe it is yet another "job" by the left to turn something benign into something sinister simply because Trump was involved. Looks more like the latter than the former to me. If facts, logic and truth about the left doesn't get Republican votes, getting a rap star out of jail isn't going to and I doubt anyone walking in would assume it would.

You would be a perfect example of the "fact, logic and truth" theory. Your "contributions" to the board speak for you.

25. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, High_Plains_Drifter liked this post