Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Default The Johnson/Arcuri Affair.

While not directly related to Brexit (thus the separate thread) this could be very well be a scandal that would see him removed from office.

While Johnson was Mayor of London he awarded public money to a company owned by Ms Arcuri. Johnson has stated in interview that he did not declare Arcuri as a friend, as he claims he did not have a friendship with her. However the Sunday Times newspaper claims to of sourced links showing that they were friends, and indeed say they have 4 friends of Arcuri in whom she confided they were having an affair (Johnson has cheated on his wife multiple times so is unlikely to hurt his popularity if another one is made public).

Obviously the conflict of interest possible when awarding public funds to a lover is not something that can be ignored. Police are currently investigating to she if criminal charges are appropriate.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    While not directly related to Brexit (thus the separate thread) this could be very well be a scandal that would see him removed from office.

While Johnson was Mayor of London he awarded public money to a company owned by Ms Arcuri. Johnson has stated in interview that he did not declare Arcuri as a friend, as he claims he did not have a friendship with her. However the Sunday Times newspaper claims to of sourced links showing that they were friends, and indeed say they have 4 friends of Arcuri in whom she confided they were having an affair (Johnson has cheated on his wife multiple times so is unlikely to hurt his popularity if another one is made public).

Obviously the conflict of interest possible when awarding public funds to a lover is not something that can be ignored. Police are currently investigating to she if criminal charges are appropriate.
    This is one of those cases of where allegations are made, and where no proper investigation has taken place. In its way, it's a British equivalent of 'Trump inpropriety' reporting.

In Trump's case, at the time of the last election, scandalous allegation after scandalous allegation was made against him. But, Trump won the election. Those accusations then 'suddenly evaporated'.

As in Trump's case, this latest Boris chapter is politically motivated to try and force Boris to lose all prospect of political power. It's squalid muckraking tactics. It's 'dirty tricks' in full flow.

It seems that the British and American Left have precious little differences in their, ahem, 'character'.

You know what, Noir ? The future of the UK is - maybe - a little more important than this bit of muckraking ?? Do you really not see that ? I'd rather Boris continued to represent 17.4 million voters in their democratic wish, than to see Boris become a victim of disreputable sleaze tactics (.. because our Left aren't fit for anything else, obviously).
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

3. Likes Russ liked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    You know what, Noir ? The future of the UK is - maybe - a little more important than this bit of muckraking ?? Do you really not see that ? I'd rather Boris continued to represent 17.4 million voters in their democratic wish, than to see Boris become a victim of disreputable sleaze tactics (.. because our Left aren't fit for anything else, obviously).
    The police are currently investigating the situation.

If Boris was having an affair with a woman who he awarded public money to without declaring his relationship with her then I would hope that you would agree with me that he should step aside, regardless of any politics.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

The police are currently investigating the situation.

If Boris was having an affair with a woman who he awarded public money to without declaring his relationship with her then I would hope that you would agree with me that he should step aside, regardless of any politics.
    Of COURSE you'd hope I agree he should step aside. Like other Lefties, you burn with a passion for seeing your adversaries knocked away from positions of power. Be honest ... the method doesn't much matter to you. Only that the result is achieved.

This is where we differ. I see Boris as having a vitally important job to do .. and the importance, and nature, of that job must hold critical determination as to whether he does it. Here, he's doing nothing less than keeping the democratic hopes and dreams of 17.4 million voter alive, being determined to serve them, satisfy THEIR electoral imperative ... as they were promised would happen.

What's your response to such momentous matters ? To hope that Boris can be buried under some - & as yet unsubstantiated !! - sleaze !!

WHAT DOES THIS SAY ABOUT THE SQUALID AND DISREPUTABLE CHARACTER OF LEFT-WING POLITICAL THINKING ??

Never mind democracy itself, being satisfied ! Oh, no ! Just do a bit of muckraking, and to hell with democracy, eh !!

Sorry, Noir. I'll never agree with you on this. Boris needs and deserves to succeed, not least to keep true democracy alive in the UK. He has ranged against him squalid muckrakers who'll pull every trick they can to get THEIR way, to ride roughshod over the Referendum result ... and, the ordinary British citizen, be damned !!
    Last edited by Drummond; 09-30-2019 at 10:26 AM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

So if it is found that Johnson awarded funding without appropriately declaring his personal involvement with Arcuri, what do you think should happen?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

So if it is found that Johnson awarded funding without appropriately declaring his personal involvement with Arcuri, what do you think should happen?
    At least, your question implies an understanding that there may be nothing to this. All well and good.

Unfortunately ... you're obviously dedicated to the proposition that there IS an issue with Boris, absolutely requiring 'punishment'.

How desperately do you seek that 'punishment', Noir ? Why are you so single minded about it, as if nothing else matters ? Answer .. because Boris is a political enemy, one you want neutralised. You're not pursuing this from any genuine 'moral high ground' position, or stance .. your thinking is identical to that of Democrats who'd hoped to see Trump drown in a sea of manufactured sleaze, at election time.

Well, Noir, I have no such wish, where Boris is concerned. Whether guilty or not of the charge made, I say this: Boris's commitment to respecting and carrying out the wish of The People, as expressed on 23rd June 2016, shows him to have greater political integrity in his little finger than can be 'found' in the whole of the Shadow Cabinet's people combined. He won't abandon The People. But those you'd happily support, WOULD and WILL.

It's a question of relative justice.

Given the choice, Noir, who deserves greater merit: a politician failing to follow political protocol on a minor matter, or, a politician and entire political Party happily throwing democracy itself away, in order to follow its own agenda ?

I say: leave Boris alone. He's doing a stellar job. Let him succeed with it.

There's an entire electorate out there depending on him to succeed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Sounds like liberal Brits are taking a page out of the American Dems' playbook... never wait until another election and try to win it with a well thought out platform when you can instead get hordes of liberal journalists to research your opponents past for transgressions. When you find one, blow it way out of proportion and demand that the opponent be thrown out of office.

This accusation about Boris Johnson regards something that happened over 10 years ago. Strange that it comes to light now - could the motivation be political? Say it ain't so. It also involves awarding sponsorship money of.. wait for it.. several thousand pounds. Omg! I wonder what percent of London's budget that was? This is a high crime!

I propose a new way of handling "investigative journalists", both in America and Britain. Set up a commission that will thoroughly investigate any accusation against a politician, no matter how long ago, that comes from a journalist, leaving no stone unturned and prosecuting the politician if found true. The catch is that the commission also goes back the same number of years in the journalist's past, investigating him, and if anything is found prosecuting the journalist in the exact same manner. Let's see how confident these journalists are in their own integrity.
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 - A wise man's heart directs him to the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him to the left.
    Wise men don't need advice, and fools won't take it - Ben Franklin
    "It's not how you start, it's how you finish."

9. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Drummond liked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Sounds like liberal Brits are taking a page out of the American Dems' playbook... never wait until another election and try to win it with a well thought out platform when you can instead get hordes of liberal journalists to research your opponents past for transgressions. When you find one, blow it way out of proportion and demand that the opponent be thrown out of office.

This accusation about Boris Johnson regards something that happened over 10 years ago. Strange that it comes to light now - could the motivation be political? Say it ain't so. It also involves awarding sponsorship money of.. wait for it.. several thousand pounds. Omg! I wonder what percent of London's budget that was? This is a high crime!

I propose a new way of handling "investigative journalists", both in America and Britain. Set up a commission that will thoroughly investigate any accusation against a politician, no matter how long ago, that comes from a journalist, leaving no stone unturned and prosecuting the politician if found true. The catch is that the commission also goes back the same number of years in the journalist's past, investigating him, and if anything is found prosecuting the journalist in the exact same manner. Let's see how confident these journalists are in their own integrity.
    If you believe it is a conspiracy for ‘political timing’ I could give you plenty of dates over the past few years when it would of been better for the conspirators to of brought this story to light.

In term of amounts I believe the allegations are that due to her undisclosed relationship with Johnston her company received over £120,000 (about $150,000) in public grants that should only of been available to British companies (which hers was not) as well as privileged access to Trade Missions, and he seems to of represented her company several times at technology events without charging speaking fees. It also appears that Johnson personally intervened to grant her company access to a trade mission that her Company was not eligible to apply for.

As it’s a developing story more details as emerging by the day so we’ll have to wait to see where it ends especially how she got grants and state trips that her company should not of been eligible for.
    Last edited by Noir; 09-30-2019 at 06:22 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

If you believe it is a conspiracy for ‘political timing’ I could give you plenty of dates over the past few years when it would of been better for the conspirators to of brought this story to light.

In term of amounts I believe the allegations are that due to her undisclosed relationship with Johnston her company received over £120,000 (about $150,000) in public grants that should only of been available to British companies (which hers was not) as well as privileged access to Trade Missions, and he seems to of represented her company several times at technology events without charging speaking fees. It also appears that Johnson personally intervened to grant her company access to a trade mission that her Company was not eligible to apply for.

As it’s a developing story more details as emerging by the day so we’ll have to wait to see where it ends especially how she got grants and state trips that her company should not of been eligible for.
    Grammar check: 'Would HAVE'. 'Not HAVE'.

Anyway: YES, political timing undoubtedly plays its part here. Boris has only been PM for two months, and we're talking about something here that pre-dates his more recent presence in Parliament itself. Boris, what's more, is at an especially critical stage of Brexit (ahem) 'negotiations', where it's just possible he might win through and trounce all his opposition's efforts to stymie Brexit progress.

His opposition has had just enough time to get the proper measure of what they're dealing with, in Boris ... is he determined to press ahead ? Will he perhaps earn a level of support from the general public which his opposition cannot otherwise neutralise ?

I find it hard to imagine a more likely time for sleaze allegations to come to the fore, Noir. Our Labour people, just like the American Dems, are beginning to pour it on, because, truth be told, they're RUNNING SCARED. Boris won't be deterred, and they have been shown to be more afraid of an election than they've ever admitted to.

So, they try something shabby, instead. Never mind how you win; just so long as you do. By fair means, OR FOUL.

12. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Okay, Noir, if it is indeed £120,000 then I will admit that it deserves some investigation, but please provide a link, since when I looked up the story the link I found said 'a few thousand pounds'.

Regardless, the accusations are coming up now not because of justice, but rather because Johnson's political opponents are trying to slime him and for no other reason. And I still call for the accuser(s) to be investigated for the last 10 years of their lives, just to see how clean they are.

Ecclesiastes 10:2 - A wise man's heart directs him to the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him to the left.
    Wise men don't need advice, and fools won't take it - Ben Franklin
    "It's not how you start, it's how you finish."

14. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot, Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Grammar check: 'Would HAVE'. 'Not HAVE'.

Anyway: YES, political timing undoubtedly plays its part here. Boris has only been PM for two months, and we're talking about something here that pre-dates his more recent presence in Parliament itself. Boris, what's more, is at an especially critical stage of Brexit (ahem) 'negotiations', where it's just possible he might win through and trounce all his opposition's efforts to stymie Brexit progress.

His opposition has had just enough time to get the proper measure of what they're dealing with, in Boris ... is he determined to press ahead ? Will he perhaps earn a level of support from the general public which his opposition cannot otherwise neutralise ?

I find it hard to imagine a more likely time for sleaze allegations to come to the fore, Noir. Our Labour people, just like the American Dems, are beginning to pour it on, because, truth be told, they're RUNNING SCARED. Boris won't be deterred, and they have been shown to be more afraid of an election than they've ever admitted to.

So, they try something shabby, instead. Never mind how you win; just so long as you do. By fair means, OR FOUL.
    Which is always the leftist/socialist/progressive/liberal way.--Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

16. Thanks Drummond, Russ thanked this post
    Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    Which is always the leftist/socialist/progressive/liberal way.--Tyr
    Exactly so, Tyr.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...le-journalist/

Boris Johnson could face an investigation by one of his own Cabinet ministers into claims he squeezed a journalist’s thigh, despite furious denials from Downing Street.

Liz Truss, minister for Women and Equalities, said she would "look at" an allegation by Charlotte Edwardes that Mr Johnson touched her upper leg during a lunch in the late 1990s.

Ms Edwardes claimed she was not the only woman to have her thigh grabbed during the meal, which took place when Mr Johnson was editor of The Spectator magazine.

In a rare comment on his private life, a Downing Street spokesman said: “This allegation is untrue.”
    This is all supposed to have happened TWENTY YEARS AGO, but is only NOW being heard about.

Shades of Trump, undoubtedly, and what he had to suffer in the run-up to election day. Here, Boris is being seen by some as a politician with sufficient integrity to properly represent the British electorate, and to a far greater extent than his Leftie opposition, who have been acting against them. This issue of reputation is obviously one which the Left want to ruin for Boris, while simultaneously carrying on with their dictatorial anti-Brexit agenda.

If the Left can't emerge from their power-freaking machinations with all the trust and credibility they'd prefer, then they'll trash that of their opposition's, in any squalid way they can.

And so ... they are. It's being piled on.
    Last edited by Drummond; 10-01-2019 at 08:36 AM.

18. Thanks Russ thanked this post
    Likes Tyr-Ziu Saxnot liked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Okay, Noir, if it is indeed £120,000 then I will admit that it deserves some investigation, but please provide a link, since when I looked up the story the link I found said 'a few thousand pounds'.

Regardless, the accusations are coming up now not because of justice, but rather because Johnson's political opponents are trying to slime him and for no other reason. And I still call for the accuser(s) to be investigated for the last 10 years of their lives, just to see how clean they are.
    On September 22nd the Sunday Times published a cracker of a story alleging that during his time as mayor of London in 2008-16, Boris Johnson failed to declare his friendship with Jennifer Arcuri, a young American businesswoman then resident in London. According to the paper, Ms Arcuri joined three foreign trade missions with Mr Johnson in one year, despite being ineligible for any of them. She also received at least £11,500 ($18,000) in funding from London and Partners, a promotional body overseen by the mayor. Another of Ms Arcuri’s companies received £100,000 from the culture department. Mr Johnson spoke at several tech gatherings organised by Ms Arcuri and is said to have frequently visited her Shoreditch flat during lunch breaks, for what she reportedly says were technology lessons.

https://www.economist.com/britain/20...f-public-money

Like it would be one thing if her businesses were at least eligible for the money they received, but the fact that they were not (because they grants were only meant for British businesses) and Johnson if found to of manipulated that process in any way for her then I think he is finished.
    Last edited by Noir; 10-02-2019 at 05:48 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

https://www.economist.com/britain/20...f-public-money

Like it would be one thing if her businesses were at least eligible for the money they received, but the fact that they were not (because they grants were only meant for British businesses) and Johnson if found to of manipulated that process in any way for her then I think he is finished.
    ... and if he was 'finished', as you suggest ... 'of course', you'll be considerably 'less than delighted' ... ??

Noir, do you REALLY see nothing deeply suspicious about how these 'scandals', going back one to two DECADES ago, have only suddenly appeared as news items, NOW, at a critical stage in Brexit talks ??? At a time when his opposition have reason to fear he just might be successful in his aims ?

Maybe Labour's own historically low ratings (especially Corbyn's own !), at a time when an election is bound to happen soon .. have a teensy bit to do with it ?

NO ?

Noir, you're doing that classically Leftie thing of muckraking, when you (and the Left) suspect that fate is otherwise turning against you. As I said before .. it's about winning by fair means, OR FOUL.

And if I'm wrong, explain why it's taken so very long for these allegations to surface. Now, of all times .. !!!

Go on, Noir. TRY.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

... and if he was 'finished', as you suggest ... 'of course', you'll be considerably 'less than delighted' ... ??

Noir, do you REALLY see nothing deeply suspicious about how these 'scandals', going back one to two DECADES ago, have only suddenly appeared as news items, NOW, at a critical stage in Brexit talks ??? At a time when his opposition have reason to fear he just might be successful in his aims ?

Maybe Labour's own historically low ratings (especially Corbyn's own !), at a time when an election is bound to happen soon .. have a teensy bit to do with it ?

NO ?

Noir, you're doing that classically Leftie thing of muckraking, when you (and the Left) suspect that fate is otherwise turning against you. As I said before .. it's about winning by fair means, OR FOUL.

And if I'm wrong, explain why it's taken so very long for these allegations to surface. Now, of all times .. !!!

Go on, Noir. TRY.
    I am not interested in the timing, nor who the accused is, I am interested in outing corruption.

If it is provable that Johnson used his position to funnel money,and access to a friend of his then he should face the consequences for it.
    Johnson was not, and is not, above the law.