Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Thank you for that infor. Now what?
    I imagine MPs will look to take back their seats ASAP, maybe even today, I think it is also likely that they will call for a vote of no confidence in Johnson. Being found to of Illegally suspended Parliament by all Eleven of our Supreme Justices seems like a ditch too deep to dig out of (never mind everything else)

A Brexit delay, and a new conservative leadership contest seem on the cards, but Johnson is not known for doing the sensible thing so no-one really knows.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

2. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

The current line from the Tory Whip
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

4. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Well it’s fair to say tensions have been escalating over the past few days - Parliament sat on Wednesday and resumed its orders of business, the government tabled a vote to close parliament for a week, the vote failed (Johnson has now lost all 7 votes that he has brought to the house since becoming Prime Minister)

Johnson himself faced questions from the house on Wednesday night that went on for a few hours - the main takeaways being that he thought the Supreme Court verdict was “wrong” and offered no apology for having been found to of broken the law, and for lying to the Queen. Johnson (and his legal council) confirmed they would abide by the Ben Bill (that a ‘No-Deal’ Brexit in October 31st would be illegal) meaning we must have a deal for Brexit or he will delay.

Most controversially when replying to a question from Tracy Brabin (Slight background - Tracy was elected to the office after the seats Previous MP Jo Cox was murdered. Jo was a vocal supporter of remaining in Europe, and her murderer considered her a ‘traitor to white people’ for her views) Johnson replies to Barbins question by stating “The best way to honour the memory of Jo Cox...would be to get Brexit done.” Which is simply breathtaking.
    Last edited by Noir; 09-27-2019 at 05:14 AM.

6. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Well it’s fair to say tensions have been escalating over the past few days - Parliament sat on Wednesday and resumed its orders of business, the government tabled a vote to close parliament for a week, the vote failed (Johnson has now lost all 7 votes that he has brought to the house since becoming Prime Minister)

Johnson himself faced questions from the house on Wednesday night that went on for a few hours - the main takeaways being that he thought the Supreme Court verdict was “wrong” and offered no apology for having been found to of broken the law, and for lying to the Queen. Johnson (and his legal council) confirmed they would abide by the Ben Bill (that a ‘No-Deal’ Brexit in October 31st would be illegal) meaning we must have a deal for Brexit or he will delay.

Most controversially when replying to a question from Tracy Brabin (Slight background - Tracy was elected to the office after the seats Previous MP Jo Cox was murdered. Jo was a vocal supporter of remaining in Europe, and her murderer considered her a ‘traitor to white people’ for her views) Johnson replies to Barbins question by stating “The best way to honour the memory of Jo Cox...would be to get Brexit done.” Which is simply breathtaking.
    Question, what good is a national referendum if elected leaders just ignore the results because the people want something they don't ?

8. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    Question, what good is a national referendum if elected leaders just ignore the results because the people want something they don't ?
    Useless. And the leftist are just as scummy there as here, and just like here, the left couldn't care less about anyone else.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

10. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Useless. And the leftist are just as scummy there as here, and just like here, the left couldn't care less about anyone else.
    Bingo, all they care about is getting and keeping power.

12. Thanks jimnyc, Drummond thanked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    We do not live in a direct democracy, Referendums are advisory.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

I imagine MPs will look to take back their seats ASAP, maybe even today, I think it is also likely that they will call for a vote of no confidence in Johnson. Being found to of Illegally suspended Parliament by all Eleven of our Supreme Justices seems like a ditch too deep to dig out of (never mind everything else)

A Brexit delay, and a new conservative leadership contest seem on the cards, but Johnson is not known for doing the sensible thing so no-one really knows.
    Just back from a week away from my home computer (where I do all my blogging). I'm now reviewing things ...

So, @Noir. How did your 'analysis' pan out ? Any sign of that 'No Confidence' vote you're expecting, yet ?

Noir. Are you not following events ? Well ... here's the current situation, in a 'nutshell' ...

Boris doesn't particularly want an election (he's repeatedly said that). Nonetheless, he's offered one (repeatedly).

Jeremy Corbyn has been begging for an election for years. Now he's being handed one on a plate. Is he seizing the opportunity ? NO.

The person not wanting an election, offers one. The person begging for one refuses the chance of one. British politics in 'all its glory' ...

Noir, a No Confidence motion, if successful, triggers an election !! BUT CORBYN DOESN'T WANT ONE (.. all of a sudden). So of course, Noir, there's no way that you can, currently, be right in your 'analysis'.

After all, Parliament hasn't reached the pinnacle of its dysfunctionality quite yet ....

There's just one truth out there. Boris is doing his best to serve The Peoples' democratic wishes. All of his opponents want his efforts frustrated or killed off, and preferably, Boris's career killed off into the bargain.

Trust a CONSERVATIVE to be the most reputable figure in Parliamentary politics today ....
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

You conveniently forget all of the pledges issued by MP's at the time TO HONOUR the Referendum.

Study this newspaper piece on that subject ....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-U-turned.html

• Independent Anna Soubry promised to honour Brexit and now wants 2nd vote
    • Colleague Chuka Umunna said we would leave even if they won by a single vote
    • Vince Cable and Jeremy Corbyn are among others who changed their minds

They swore if we voted to leave that Brexit would mean Brexit, then vowed to honour the result.

Here, ANDREW PIERCE exposes how MPs and grandees have U-turned... starting with the politician who outlawed 'No Deal' – and paraded the royal assent on Twitter.

Doesn't it make you proud!

Yvette Cooper, Labour MP for Normanton, Pontefract and Castleford

THEN: 'I voted in Parliament to support triggering Article 50 because I thought it was important to respect the referendum result' – BLOG POST ON HER WEBSITE, SUMMER 2018

NOW: 'My amendment is a vote against the chaos of a No Deal Brexit' – February 2019

Hilary Benn, Labour MP for Leeds Central

THEN: 'You vote to Leave. We are out. We are going' – Before the Brexit referendum in June 2016

NOW: 'It is now clear that... leaving the EU without an agreement would be a disaster. If it turns out that there is no alternative deal that can win a majority in the Commons, then... the only way we will resolve this is to go back to the people' – December 17, 2018

Anna Soubry, Independent Group MP for Broxtowe

THEN: 'We are leaving the EU and must now get a good deal... Many people voted Leave for genuine and respected reasons. We have to respect the result.' – After referendum in June 2016

NOW: 'We have to plan for a People's Vote. The current deal we have with the EU is the best deal' – February 2019

Sir Keir Starmer, Labour MP for Holborn and St Pancras

THEN: 'We all have to accept and respect the referendum outcome. I campaigned to stay in the EU. I would have expected the result to be honoured if we had won it' – After the 2016 referendum

NOW: 'A public vote ought to be between the option of a credible Leave deal and Remain' – March 2019

Chuka Umunna, Independent Group MP for Streatham

THEN: 'We will Leave if Leave wins even by one vote' – on the eve of the 2016 referendum

NOW: 'A People's Vote is our final chance to get it right for generations to come' – October 2018

Sir Vince Cable, Lib Dem leader and MP for Twickenham

THEN: 'The public have voted and it's seriously disrespectful and politically utterly counter-productive to say: 'Sorry guys, you've got it wrong. We are going to try again' – After the 2016 Brexit vote

NOW: 'We are a Remain country now with 60 per cent wanting to stop the Brexit mess' – People's Vote rally, March 2019

Sarah Wollaston, Independent Group MP for Totnes

THEN: 'We must accept the [Brexit] result.' She added: 'A second referendum... is a direct incentive for us to get the worst possible deal. We should not be going back and saying we don't accept the result' – During 2017 election

NOW: 'I don't think we have anything to fear from a second referendum now. It's not about blocking Brexit; it's about saying to people: I think you have the right to give informed consent' – August 20, 2018

Heidi Allen, Independent Group MP for South Cambridgeshire

THEN: 'We must respect the democratic outcome of the referendum and work positively together to ensure we make Brexit a success' – 2017 election

NOW: 'There is no alternative. We need to go back to the public to decide what they want us to do next. The referendum should include the option of staying in the EU under existing terms' – September, 2018

Dominic Grieve, Tory MP for Beaconsfield

THEN: 'What is clear to me is that the decision of electorate in the referendum must be respected and I should support a reasoned process to give effect to it,' – 2017 election literature

NOW: 'I believe that a further public consultation through a referendum offers the best way forward' – January 2019

Jeremy Corbyn, Labour leader and Islington North MP

THEN: 'This is a one-off vote... between staying in the EU or leaving completely' – June 2017

NOW: 'We are committed to... supporting an amendment in favour of a public vote to prevent a damaging Tory Brexit being forced on the country.' – February 2019
    .... etc .... etc .....

SELF SERVING HYPOCRITES, all. Note in particular Corbyn's own 'about-face'.

If the Referendum was always merely 'advisory' and eminently open to revision or even nullification .. then, Noir, how come so many senior politicians didn't initially think so, and are on the record making that clear ???

Fact is ... they've all become power-drunk, putting THEIR agendas above that of serving The People.
    Last edited by Drummond; 09-27-2019 at 07:37 PM.

16. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

That doesn't answer the question Noir.

Why even bother "advising" elected officials about what you want, if they don't give a shit what you want?

And I'm a person who believes the vast majority of people in a given city/state/country should have zero input into how that city/state/nation is ran . But if you're going to tell people they do have a say you ought require elected officials to follow their lead.

18. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    You conveniently forget all of the pledges issued by MP's at the time TO HONOUR the Referendum.

Study this newspaper piece on that subject ....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-U-turned.html

.... etc .... etc .....

SELF SERVING HYPOCRITES, all. Note in particular Corbyn's own 'about-face'.

If the Referendum was always merely 'advisory' and eminently open to revision or even nullification .. then, Noir, how come so many senior politicians didn't initially think so, and are on the record making that clear ???

Fact is ... they've all become power-drunk, putting THEIR agendas above that of serving The People.
    Which is why we should go to election, but no one really wants that either.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

At long last the Conservative government have published a proposal for the Irish border, and boy is it a doozy

https://assets.publishing.service.go...atory_Note.pdf
    Last edited by Noir; 10-02-2019 at 01:09 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

In other news it’s seems that Johnson is going to try to suspend parliament again...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

At long last the Conservative government have published a proposal for the Irish border, and boy is it a doozy

https://assets.publishing.service.go...atory_Note.pdf
    In other news it’s seems that Johnson is going to try to suspend parliament again...
    It seems that you might as well pack your bags and scoot out of there if you are so
    disenfranchised with Parliament.

You are a whiner that comes in with "Why, Why. Why" most all of the time.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

23. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Provide me with evidence that this latest suspension is / will be, unlawful. Show me it's being done for disreputable motives.

No, Noir. You're relying on American non-familiarity with the British political establishment to make a cheap, and actually baseless, inference.

You don't say WHY this latest 'suspension' is taking place. Why not, if your intention isn't to encourage a certain inference ? What do you mean by 'try' to suspend Parliament ??

Here's the point: prorogation of Parliament is a NORMAL FUNCTION. It's done to arrange and introduce, for example, the latest Queen's Speech, in which she describes in a public speech what the objectives of her Government will be in its new session in Parliament. The furore over the last proroguing of Parliament came about partly because of its unusual duration, but chiefly because it wasn't called for to satisfy (it was alleged, this being why it came before the Judiciary) any usual or even legitimate purpose.

So, then. When is the next Queen's Speech ?

14th OCTOBER.

See ...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...-boris-johnson

Boris Johnson will request Parliament is prorogued from next Tuesday, which would then allow him to outline his legislative programme for the next session of Parliament. The first prorogation - which was scheduled to last five weeks - was ruled unlawful because it frustrated or prevented Parliament from its duties, partially due to its duration. Mr Johnson has said he wants Parliament to be prorogued again on Tuesday, to prepare for a Queen’s Speech the following week.

Downing Street said: “The Prime Minister has been consistently clear that he wants to set out a fresh legislative programme in a Queen’s Speech.

“He, therefore, intends to request that the current session of Parliament be prorogued from the evening of Tuesday, October 8, with a Queen’s Speech on Monday, October 14.”

The speech read by the Queen in the House of Lords Chamber, outlines the Government’s programme of legislation and policies for the coming year.

It is written by the Government and not by the Queen herself.

Downing Street said the planned timings would mean Parliament would be prorogued for the shortest time possible to enable all the necessary logistical preparations for a State Opening to be undertaken, including those done by the House Authorities.

Mr Johnson said: “I want to deliver on the people’s priorities.

“Through a Queen’s Speech, the Government will set out its plans for the NHS, schools, tackling crime, investing in infrastructure and building a strong economy.
    You've a problem with any of that, Noir ?

How about with this, then .. ?

https://www.parliament.uk/site-infor...y/prorogation/

When a parliamentary session comes to an end the House is prorogued until the next session begins. Prorogation is the formal end to the parliamentary year.
    The Queen's Speech will mark the beginning of the next Parliamentary Session ... hence the speech she'll make, which describes Government's objectives for the next Session.

Care to admit that Boris has acted properly, with due observance of well-established protocol ? H'mm ? Or are you too busy trying to establish cheap and thoroughly misleading inferences ?
    Last edited by Drummond; 10-02-2019 at 08:23 PM.