Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    I also have a Browning Nomad Bow that I can put six arrows into
    a Skoal can at 25 yards.
    They made deer hunting with a cross bow legal during the bow hunt here in Wisconsin, and there's some pretty incredible cross bows nowadays. I've been tempted to maybe give that a try. Bow season is before gun here, and the deer haven't been molested or thinned out. You're chances of harvesting one are actually quite a bit better. Course the old 480 acre farm we hunt on, no one lives there anymore, there's usually never any more than 3 or 4 people hunt it, everybody always gets a deer, or two.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-31-2019 at 07:25 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Yes it is, but I know people around here that have hunted white tails with big calibers. One guy used his 7mm STW, (Shooting Times Western), which is even a little hotter than the 7mm RM, and a relative of his that hunted with a .338 Win Mag. They harvested deer with them, and so long as you don't hit any meat you're fine. They go right down and you don't have to trail them for half a mile. But if you hit muscle, it's ruined. Personally I'd never use such a massive magnum round for around here where you rarely shoot over 50 yards anyway. You can even hunt around these hills with open sights. Sometimes a scope is too much. I've had it happen to me. Pull up on a deer that's close and all you see is hide. I'd have been much better off with iron sights. There's a few that use peep mounts for their scope, or a tip off mount. I used my Rem 700 BDL 25.06, which is a necked down 30.06, which made a lot faster and flatter ballistics, and a Nikon 3x9 scope. That rifle is gone now though. That's the one I want to replace but in a larger caliber.
    I always preferred open sights. Some scopes can be a bit woozy!
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

If I had to pick, it would definitely be the .300 Win Mag. The 7mm just doesn't have the knock down power of a .30 cal and up.

It's a different world where you guys are and up here and large bear protection is always a consideration.

That being said, a .243 and .270 are where it's at for hunting deer, IMO. We moose hunted almost exclusively with those as a kid growing up out in the boonies and with proper placement, they always dropped like they were poleaxed.

I'm surprised to hear that people are deer hunting with a .338 - that's a lot of weapon for a mid size animal and you'll destroy half of the harvest with a bad placement.

My buddy shot a porcupine across the river with his .338 once (all we had handy at the moment) and he nailed it. The cone of quills on the far side of it was impressive. They sprayed out about 75' and there wasn't much left of the porky. We had to thin them out because the little bastards like the salt in the glue in T-111 siding at the cabin and were literally eating our cabin.

war-were-declared-33289056.jpg
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

4. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Likes LongTermGuy, High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    I

My buddy shot a porcupine across the river with his .338 once (all we had handy at the moment) and he nailed it. The cone of quills on the far side of it was impressive. They sprayed out about 75' and there wasn't much left of the porky. We had to thin them out because the little bastards like the salt in the glue in T-111 siding at the cabin and were literally eating our cabin.

Porcupine with a .338? Good gosh, that had to be a mess!
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

To be honest, I want the 7mm RM more for fun shooting, some target, and possible personal protection, something that will reach out and touch someone at 500 yards+ with deadly accuracy. My AK-47 won't do that. It ain't bad at 100 yards but past that, forget it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    If I had to pick, it would definitely be the .300 Win Mag. The 7mm just doesn't have the knock down power of a .30 cal and up.

It's a different world where you guys are and up here and large bear protection is always a consideration.

That being said, a .243 and .270 are where it's at for hunting deer, IMO. We moose hunted almost exclusively with those as a kid growing up out in the boonies and with proper placement, they always dropped like they were poleaxed.

I'm surprised to hear that people are deer hunting with a .338 - that's a lot of weapon for a mid size animal and you'll destroy half of the harvest with a bad placement.

Oh heck yeah, up there in Alaska, I'd lean towards the .300 mag for certain, or the .338 mag, or even the 8mm mag. I shot one of those in a target shooting contest over in Montana back in '87 and won a turkey...
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-31-2019 at 07:37 PM.